scratch in carbon steerer tube- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35

    scratch in carbon steerer tube

    I got a new fork yesterday. I got it just before to closing time at the LBS and didn't look it over too closely right away. I noticed this scratch in the steerer tube when I got home. This is my first carbon steerer tube and it makes me worried. Seems like it is right where the straight part of the tube begins to taper. Everything I find when I search 'scratched steerer tube' looks insignificant in comparison. What do you all think?

    Update: fork was returned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scratch in carbon steerer tube-img_4559.jpg  

    scratch in carbon steerer tube-img_4560.jpg  

    Last edited by flypower; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:58 AM. Reason: update

  2. #2
    Location: 10 ft from Hell Moderator
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,190
    It's not a scratch, it's a defect and that fork should be returned.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vicrider222's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    It's not a scratch, it's a defect and that fork should be returned.
    Agree 100%

    It's in the worst place too - major stress riser...

    If you want an expert opinion contact Raoul Luescher of Luescher Teknik via his Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. But this one is a no brainer. I would not ride it regardless of whether a professional backed me up on this or not.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    It's not a scratch, it's a defect and that fork should be returned.
    Thanks. Good points. It does seem like it happened as a result of how it was manufactured rather than a scratch that happened to it after it was made. I'll return it.

    Now I'm wondering if giving it a second chance on a replacement fork is a good idea. I'm reconsidering getting the Niner RDO Boost MTB fork instead. The fork in question is a Salsa Firestarter 110 Deluxe Carbon fork.

    I also noticed that the way the carbon fork meets the metal around the steerer tube is a bit sloppy with what appears to be some rough overlap, some actual scratches, and some bubbles (porosity?) in the carbon. And every bolt appears to have been factory over tightened well enough to have left a little mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scratch in carbon steerer tube-img_4539.jpg  

    scratch in carbon steerer tube-img_4541.jpg  


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,744
    I'd choose another shop after this. These guys could have inspected the product before delivering or selling it to you. It's very likely they are aware of the defect.
    I'd like to give my business to guys who would be applying their expertise for me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,742
    Totally agree that the fork has to go back but spill, what is the brand of fork?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,814
    Note the initialed white/green "Passed QC" sticker in the second pic.
    Do the math.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Totally agree that the fork has to go back but spill, what is the brand of fork?
    It's a Salsa Firestarter 110 Carbon Deluxe.

    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd choose another shop after this. These guys could have inspected the product before delivering or selling it to you. It's very likely they are aware of the defect.
    I'd like to give my business to guys who would be applying their expertise for me.
    I can understand why you'd suggest going to a different shop. It does seem no one looked it over. I was a bit disappointed to have spent $600 on a fork that felt like no one had checked. What do you think about going with a different fork manufacturer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Note the initialed white/green "Passed QC" sticker in the second pic.
    For real.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35
    A few employees at the local shop I got it at said it's nothing to worry about. I'm still a bit concerned. I have no reason to doubt anyone on here or any reason to doubt them. These guys aren't my friends and I don't know them well but I know they've been working on bikes a while. One guy said he's got a little nick on his steerer tube and it isn't a problem. I haven't seen anything like this on a carbon steerer tube in the photos I've seen when looking online. I sent some photos to Salsa and will call them tomorrow. Anyone here have any experience with this?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,537

    scratch in carbon steerer tube

    Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post
    A few employees at the local shop I got it at said it's nothing to worry about. I'm still a bit concerned. I have no reason to doubt anyone on here or any reason to doubt them. These guys aren't my friends and I don't know them well but I know they've been working on bikes a while. One guy said he's got a little nick on his steerer tube and it isn't a problem. I haven't seen anything like this on a carbon steerer tube in the photos I've seen when looking online. I sent some photos to Salsa and will call them tomorrow. Anyone here have any experience with this?
    Send pic to salsa


    Edit... damn i should have read it all.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  11. #11
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I'd choose another shop after this. These guys could have inspected the product before delivering or selling it to you. It's very likely they are aware of the defect.
    I'd like to give my business to guys who would be applying their expertise for me.
    No, absolutely not. It's not the salesperson's job to understand the engineering. That's QC. The salesperson's job is to understand how the finished product fits in the marketplace, so they can best guide the consumer to the most appropriate product.

    If you expect every person to be an expert every step of the way... everything will be obscenely 'overpriced.' You want an artisan at every step in the production line.


    I don't have an opinion here because, like everyone else in this thread, i don't have the education/background to make the call. Contact the manufacturer, or let the salesperson do it, since you paid them for that.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    No, absolutely not.
    Agreed. It looks to me like a fiber may have just gotten pushed aside at some point in the process.

    I am an engineer and have a pretty good understanding of structures. Without inspecting it, I could not offer an opinion as to if it is compromised.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Agreed. It looks to me like a fiber may have just gotten pushed aside at some point in the process.

    I am an engineer and have a pretty good understanding of structures. Without inspecting it, I could not offer an opinion as to if it is compromised.
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight. What kind of inspection do you think this deserves?

    I'll be calling Salsa to talk with someone on the phone about the email/pictures I sent. Any talking points you recommend?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight. What kind of inspection do you think this deserves?

    I'll be calling Salsa to talk with someone on the phone about the email/pictures I sent. Any talking points you recommend?
    A close visual inspection should do it. I would expect Salsa to err on the side of caution. Potential liability is far larger than eating the cost of a fork.

    I would be more concerned about the defect if it's located on the front or back of the steerer in relation to how the fork sits with the tire pointed forward on the bike. I would expect for force to be exerted in the fore/aft direction than laterally. Interestingly Thompson takes that kind of force difference into account in their seat posts as the front and back have significantly more material in the tube walls than in the side to side direction.

  15. #15
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight. What kind of inspection do you think this deserves?

    I'll be calling Salsa to talk with someone on the phone about the email/pictures I sent. Any talking points you recommend?
    that needs xray to confirm good or not

    ultrasound is good but if you want 100% accuracy, xray


    you see a void externally you bet there is a huge chance there are worse voids internally, in worse locations.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    12,744
    You're not paying substantial money for something with obvious visual defects. Return it and take your money to another shop.
    If I were the shop owner or sales guy on this deal there is no way I would let you buy this without knowing about the defect. I would have called Salsa or QBP and checked on availability for a replacement. Then let you decide on waiting or not. It's my personal integrity that comes into play not a job description.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    that needs xray to confirm good or not

    ultrasound is good but if you want 100% accuracy, xray


    you see a void externally you bet there is a huge chance there are worse voids internally, in worse locations.
    I agree that an xray is the only 100% definitive way to tell short of a physical load test.

    I do not agree that the one flaw shown leads one to the likely conclusion of worse voids elsewhere. That flaw looks like it could have been cause by a contaminant in the mold. I would need to see more bubbles to start to see that conclusion.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    35
    I called Salsa today. They made returning it easy. The rep I spoke with said something like "Wow yeah that's right there on the seem. We should definitely get that back to look at." He also said it might be nothing but reiterated they should take a look. One of the owners of the shop I got it at tried brushing off my concerns by saying "that's nothing" after looking at it for less than 5 seconds and after I'd already explained that Salsa would cover freight and refund them. It was beyond weird. I do believe we are all entitled to expect more from shops. After tax, this rigid fork cost $650. I don't expect anyone working in a bike shop to have taken any engineering classes but shops are the final piece of quality control and that's one of the reasons brick and mortar shops still exist. I've worked retail and as a mechanic before and this really is not debatable.

    Edit reason: note: the owner that said "that's nothing" has a BA in Business Marketing and is in no way more qualified than I am. I am concerned by his willingness to make this kind of a statement. I ride a good amount: 3,000 - 5,000 miles a year. My riding style is determined to exploit weaknesses. It makes me wonder if he understands the liability he assumes in saying that. I got feedback from a highly regarded engineer on this and while I can't disclose his name or the exact statement, he said it's got to go back. This was beyond bad. I feel super stupid for trying to give that shop any business. Shame on that shop, not Salsa.
    Last edited by flypower; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:35 AM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post
    I got a new fork yesterday. I got it just before to closing time at the LBS and didn't look it over too closely right away. I noticed this scratch in the steerer tube when I got home. This is my first carbon steerer tube and it makes me worried. Seems like it is right where the straight part of the tube begins to taper. Everything I find when I search 'scratched steerer tube' looks insignificant in comparison. What do you all think?
    Good question/concern. You might want to get these photos to the reps who sell this brand fork, also if your shop you got it from gives you grief over returning it, report that if they want to play hardball. If this indeed a threat to the carbon structure/layup then that shop should have returned it right away to have inspected and replaced. The major issue with this material is there being no room for error in the carbon lay up or MFG process, thats why I'm so against the shady Chinese carbon manufacture of these critical weight bearing parts of bikes.

Similar Threads

  1. Carbon steerer vs aluminum steerer
    By Nubster in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 06:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 08:20 AM
  3. Steerer Tube Diameter / Stem Steerer Diameter?
    By cirruslk in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2013, 03:47 PM
  4. steerer tube extension options for 1.5" steerer
    By bigfoot_mt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM
  5. 1.5 steerer tube vs. tapered steerer
    By Bikin' Bric in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 99

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.