Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5

    Saying Hello! Mechanic in Asheville

    Hello MTBR,

    I am a new member to the forum and am representing a bike shop in Asheville, NC. I'm most interested in learning and expanding skills related to suspension systems, bike fitting, and frame building. I'm sure there is a lot to learn here. Any suggestions on places to learn, take classes, or study obscure bits of cycling are appreciated!

    Many thanks,
    hope to chat with you soon
    CHM
    Last edited by HearnsAsheville; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:38 PM. Reason: removed spam

  2. #2
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,783
    Not sure if spam is legal in these parts. Take your bike shop name out of it and you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5
    Thanks DIRTJUNKIE,

    I went ahead and removed the shop name from the post header.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,432
    Have you been to the Appalachian Bicycle Institute? right there near Asheville. A few years ago I took the Fox service class with Nick from Fox and learned the finer points of wheel-building with Jenny. good stuff!

    jealous of the locale. my long-term goal is to move back to somewhere in that southern Appalachian region.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wickerman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,330
    Quote Originally Posted by HearnsAsheville View Post
    Hello MTBR,

    I am a new member to the forum and am representing a bike shop in Asheville, NC. I'm most interested in learning and expanding skills related to suspension systems, bike fitting, and frame building. I'm sure there is a lot to learn here. Any suggestions on places to learn, take classes, or study obscure bits of cycling are appreciated!

    Many thanks,
    hope to chat with you soon
    CHM
    You should contact Seth (seth's Bike Hacks)..he's an Asheville local,. Being he's injured from his Berm Creek trail, he has some time probably lol.

  6. #6
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,293
    Welcome! I am going to be a bike mechanic after I graduate college. One of my pals from the military is a GM for a local bike chain and he hired me to start training in the spring. It was funny that my interview was done while out on the trail

    He knows about my military mechanical background and my garage bike mechanic work that I do. He wants to get me spun up on Specialized and Kona bike stuff in the spring so I can go full time in the summer.

    Seeing I will have a degree in technical writing, I want to see where I can end up in the bike world by starting out as a mechanic.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    You should contact Seth (seth's Bike Hacks)..he's an Asheville local,. Being he's injured from his Berm Creek trail, he has some time probably lol.
    lol...I have to wonder what his qualifications are for teaching professional bike mechanics. he has a youtube channel?

  8. #8
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,790
    In one of his videos, the guys from Park Tools sabotaged a bike with like three different bugs, and they challenged him to find and correct them.

    He did, as well as finding a fourth that they had overlooked. They were quite humbled by his bike mechanic expertise.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  9. #9
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    In one of his videos, the guys from Park Tools sabotaged a bike with like three different bugs, and they challenged him to find and correct them.

    He did, as well as finding a fourth that they had overlooked. They were quite humbled by his bike mechanic expertise.
    Wow. Respect.

  10. #10
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    In one of his videos, the guys from Park Tools sabotaged a bike with like three different bugs, and they challenged him to find and correct them.

    He did, as well as finding a fourth that they had overlooked. They were quite humbled by his bike mechanic expertise.
    doesn't mean he's qualified to instruct someone else in a professional setting.

  11. #11
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    doesn't mean he's qualified to instruct someone else in a professional setting.
    Doesn't hurt.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    5
    I do have to say that Seth is held to a very high standard as a content creator. I would argue this because he is publicly attaching his name to technical reviews, collaborations, and tech videos. The internet then provides a platform for open and easy critique of his work. So, if he makes a big mistake it's straight up on him. From his content that I have consumed he seems concerned with whether he is presenting honest information, which I highly respect.

    I'm certainly not saying he's a certified engineer, but I seriously respect his content. As another disclaimer, I notice that he often defers to certified professionals and technicians, so that remains as the ideal source of information.

  13. #13
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by HearnsAsheville View Post
    I do have to say that Seth is held to a very high standard as a content creator. I would argue this because he is publicly attaching his name to technical reviews, collaborations, and tech videos. The internet then provides a platform for open and easy critique of his work. So, if he makes a big mistake it's straight up on him. From his content that I have consumed he seems concerned with whether he is presenting honest information, which I highly respect.

    I'm certainly not saying he's a certified engineer, but I seriously respect his content. As another disclaimer, I notice that he often defers to certified professionals and technicians, so that remains as the ideal source of information.
    I never said he didn't produce quality content. I simply asked what qualifies him to TEACH in a PROFESSIONAL setting.

  14. #14
    Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    lol...I have to wonder what his qualifications are for teaching professional bike mechanics. he has a youtube channel?
    Absolutely NONE! It's not a joke that his channel is call Seths Bike Hacks. I'm sure he's cool dude and fun to ride with, but he is by no means a bike mechanic. He has some rudimentary carpentry skills, thats about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    You should contact Seth (seth's Bike Hacks)..he's an Asheville local,. Being he's injured from his Berm Creek trail, he has some time probably lol.
    ^^^This right here is what's wrong with these forums.^^^ Where did you ever get the idea Seth was a skilled bike mechanic, because he has YouTube and can inflate a tire? This guy doesn't even know what the dials on his fork do. A lot of his videos where he's trying to be "scientific" don't even make sense, that whole bottle cage video, the bottle cage was facing the wrong direction in comparison to how the bike would land and the forces applied to the cage. WTF. Just because someone has a YT channel doesn't automatically make them intelligent, logical, smart or competent, a vast majority of these guys - Seth, Sampler, BKXC and Daily MTBR don't know their ass from their elbow. Stop putting these asshats on a pedestal just because they're posting entertaining content. Also stop paying them money to ride bikes and "live the dream", it's bullshit. Would you had the beggar outside Starbucks $25 just because he said hi and is standing there asking for money. F-NO! Why are people so dumb!

    Welcome to the boards OP, there is some solid insight here on the forums, as well as some straight up BS. My only advise, be mindful, try to remain as impartial as you can and be sure to do your own research as well.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b-roken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1 View Post
    You should contact Seth (seth's Bike Hacks)..he's an Asheville local,. Being he's injured from his Berm Creek trail, he has some time probably lol.
    He's also a not local. He relocated here a year or so ago.

  16. #16
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by b-roken View Post
    He's also a not local. He relocated here a year or so ago.
    To be fair - how do you define "local" here? Of all the people I have met who live in the area, an extremely small number were actually born anywhere nearby.

    As far as I'm concerned, "local" means you live here and it's your primary residence.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Absolutely NONE! It's not a joke that his channel is call Seths Bike Hacks. I'm sure he's cool dude and fun to ride with, but he is by no means a bike mechanic. He has some rudimentary carpentry skills, thats about it.



    ^^^This right here is what's wrong with these forums.^^^ Where did you ever get the idea Seth was a skilled bike mechanic, because he has YouTube and can inflate a tire? This guy doesn't even know what the dials on his fork do. A lot of his videos where he's trying to be "scientific" don't even make sense, that whole bottle cage video, the bottle cage was facing the wrong direction in comparison to how the bike would land and the forces applied to the cage. WTF. Just because someone has a YT channel doesn't automatically make them intelligent, logical, smart or competent, a vast majority of these guys - Seth, Sampler, BKXC and Daily MTBR don't know their ass from their elbow. Stop putting these asshats on a pedestal just because they're posting entertaining content. Also stop paying them money to ride bikes and "live the dream", it's bullshit. Would you had the beggar outside Starbucks $25 just because he said hi and is standing there asking for money. F-NO! Why are people so dumb!

    Welcome to the boards OP, there is some solid insight here on the forums, as well as some straight up BS. My only advise, be mindful, try to remain as impartial as you can and be sure to do your own research as well.
    This coming from a guy that cant set up his own bike tubeless
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...d-1093202.html
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,615
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    This coming from a guy that cant set up his own bike tubeless
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...d-1093202.html
    Ohhhhhhh. Burrrrrrn.

    In true mtbr fashion the thread about some guy introducing himself has turned into a pissing match about a YouTuber and what makes someone "local". Cool dudes!

    OP there are a lot of guides on here that can best be find by taking Google to search the site. The mtbr search function sometimes sucks. Good luck with your wrenching.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    Reputation: Guy.Ford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,056
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    This coming from a guy that cant set up his own bike tubeless
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...d-1093202.html
    Genius reply from a guy with zero reading comprehension.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Welcome! I am going to be a bike mechanic after I graduate college. One of my pals from the military is a GM for a local bike chain and he hired me to start training in the spring. It was funny that my interview was done while out on the trail

    He knows about my military mechanical background and my garage bike mechanic work that I do. He wants to get me spun up on Specialized and Kona bike stuff in the spring so I can go full time in the summer.

    Seeing I will have a degree in technical writing, I want to see where I can end up in the bike world by starting out as a mechanic.
    I put myself through college running my own bike business. Dude, don't start at the bottom, especially with a college degree. Run screaming from that job! The bottom of the bike industry is like being a fry cook, except probably with less pay.

    I had a lot of fun doing it, but its not the sort of industry you work your way up in. You either bring in high level skills to the top, or its pretty dead-end at the retail level.

  21. #21
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I put myself through college running my own bike business. Dude, don't start at the bottom, especially with a college degree. Run screaming from that job! The bottom of the bike industry is like being a fry cook, except probably with less pay.

    I had a lot of fun doing it, but its not the sort of industry you work your way up in. You either bring in high level skills to the top, or its pretty dead-end at the retail level.
    Thanks for the tips. My friend told me that it's very difficult to break into the game with some of the bigger companies. They tend to hire people based on strong references from within the industry.

    In all honesty, I just have a passion for tinkering and working on bikes. It comes from my old job as a jet engine mechanic. I'm not that worried about pay. I'm paid quite well for everything I endured while serving. If I worked my way into a GM position for a local bike shop chain, I would be fine with that.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

  22. #22
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Thanks for the tips. My friend told me that it's very difficult to break into the game with some of the bigger companies. They tend to hire people based on strong references from within the industry.

    In all honesty, I just have a passion for tinkering and working on bikes. It comes from my old job as a jet engine mechanic. I'm not that worried about pay. I'm paid quite well for everything I endured while serving. If I worked my way into a GM position for a local bike shop chain, I would be fine with that.
    My experience is similar to what you've been told. It depends on where in the industry you want to go, but starting in a shop is ABSOLUTELY a common way that people get deeper into the industry. Especially on the customer service side of things. If you can, use your time in a shop to get professional training like the OP here is seeking, and you'll set yourself up better than just slacking through your retail job. I know a number of people who made that transition themselves.

    I don't doubt that CERTAIN positions with various manufacturers require you to bring high level skills and experience from outside the bike industry. Particularly on the engineering side. But the bike industry absolutely is mobile from the retail level to the manufacturer level. Also common is going from retail into the sales rep side.

  23. #23
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,994
    Quote Originally Posted by HearnsAsheville View Post
    Hello MTBR,

    I am a new member to the forum and am representing a bike shop in Asheville, NC. I'm most interested in learning and expanding skills related to suspension systems, bike fitting, and frame building. I'm sure there is a lot to learn here. Any suggestions on places to learn, take classes, or study obscure bits of cycling are appreciated!

    Many thanks,
    hope to chat with you soon
    CHM
    FWIW, pretty much all of Shimano's stuff is online. s-tec.shimano.com and you'll have to register by supplying your employer's information so you can get verified into the system. Not specific to the items you explicitly mentioned, but relevant.

    Looks like there are quite a lot of bike fitter certification programs out there. This page gives some recommendations about which ones to take.

    Hunter Allen Power Blog: How Do I Become A Bike Fitter?

    A lot of the really specialized training is going to cost you. Hopefully your employer values extra training and will cover some amount of it for you. I've found this hit-or-miss among the shops where I've worked. One shop I worked for sent me to Trek University for some training, which was useful. Other places where I've worked didn't really care if employees got any specialized training.

  24. #24
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    My experience is similar to what you've been told. It depends on where in the industry you want to go, but starting in a shop is ABSOLUTELY a common way that people get deeper into the industry. Especially on the customer service side of things. If you can, use your time in a shop to get professional training like the OP here is seeking, and you'll set yourself up better than just slacking through your retail job. I know a number of people who made that transition themselves.

    I don't doubt that CERTAIN positions with various manufacturers require you to bring high level skills and experience from outside the bike industry. Particularly on the engineering side. But the bike industry absolutely is mobile from the retail level to the manufacturer level. Also common is going from retail into the sales rep side.
    Thanks! Seeing my friend is the GM of a local chain, he will probably extend some training opportunities to me as they come up. He works with Specialized and Kona quite often when it comes to ordering bikes and what not. I will see where it goes from there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

  25. #25
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: AshevilleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,818
    Welcome, Hearns. I was there not long ago getting a chainring from you.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 01:41 PM
  2. Saying "hello" to fellow riders?
    By sloppyart in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 06:40 AM
  3. Bicycle Mechanic Job Opening Asheville
    By MarcusSommers in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
  4. Hello! Hello. hello. hell---
    By tductape in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 11:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 134

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.