Saddle Help.....For A Man.....With Nuts. Please!- Mtbr.com
    Good, green, Oregon.

Saddle Help.....For A Man.....With Nuts. Please!

Alright guys, I need a bit of help or direction here. I am looking into a new saddle for my 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er. It came with a pretty decent seat with a Fi’zi:k Tundra2, but I ran into a bit of an issue……

I’ll be honest here, this kind of scared the s#*t out of me. I recently was in the ER with some serious right nut pain. I kind of waited a bit too long to make an appointment, as I was the typical guy that was embarrassed to tell the cute nurse that I had a sore nut. Well, three weeks ago today, I just about passed out on my way home from work. Once I did get home, I told my wife that I need to get to the ER because I was in terrible pain.

Well, turns out they think I had epididymitis, or an infection of the little tub that connects to your nut. Anyways, some antibiotics and pain management and 3+ weeks off the bike, and I think I am good to go. I have a follow up with my doc tomorrow, who is a cyclist (MTBer turned roadie), which I think will help get me further insight.

So, after all that, I am looking for a good saddle. A saddle that is good for men, and after my reading and researching, one that has a channel or hole in it to relieve some of the pressure. I am curious if any of you have ran into issues “down there” that forced you to look to a certain type of saddle, and if so, what worked for you? I get how the channel would work, and the hole too, but do these really do what they are designed to do?

I know that saddle preference and fit is unique to the individual, but I figured you all could at least put me on the right path that may have worked for you. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated for sure. My wife would also pass along the thanks too!

Sorry for the TMI thread here, but I needed help, and you are my “friends” that could help with your knowledge. Thank you in advance!
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    A Brooks saddle is by far the best most comfy saddle ever. I sometimes switch it from bike to bike if i'm gonna be on the saddle all day, or if it's too hot for padded shorts. They are also available with the fart cut out now but with this saddle I don't see it being a big advantage.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Do an Internet search for "prostate friendly mountain bike saddle". You'll get a wealth of info, a lot of it leading back here. If you type "Prostate" into the search engine here you'll also get tons of info.

I suffer from prostateitis. I have ever since I started riding XC. It has to do with my bone structure I guess. I use the Specialized Avatar Gel. Helps a lot.

Specialized Avatar Gel Saddle Reviews

It's something that all males will go through if they ride bikes.

mtbr member
    At my age I'd look for a saddle without a real big hole in it. The mental image I get of the damage a knobby tire could inflict...

ozz
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    ISM Adamo mounted at a 45 degree angle is the only way I can ride. But my nut pain is a bit extreme.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I tend to think that your saddle had little to do with it, and saddles that help with prostate pressure won't help. After all, it's yer boys, not your prostate, which is farther back in terms of saddle contact.....

I won't claim to be an expert, but I'd chat with your PCP (or cruise the web) about causes for this condition. Likely something else is at the root of it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I tend to think that your saddle had little to do with it, and saddles that help with prostate pressure won't help. After all, it's yer boys, not your prostate, which is farther back in terms of saddle contact.....

I won't claim to be an expert, but I'd chat with your PCP (or cruise the web) about causes for this condition. Likely something else is at the root of it.
    Point taken for sure, and something I will discuss with my doc tomorrow. I don't think the seat specifically was the cause, but all the sudden I find myself thinking about comfort on those 4-5 hour rides, after going through this. My reading did find a study that showed a very high percentage of mountain bike riders having scrotal issues, when when comapred to roadies. The findings used the phrase "micro-trauma" as to a possible cause to the issues, which included all kinds of issues down there, epididymitis being one of those issues.

So while I don't think the saddle was the cause of the issue, or even contributed to the issue, finding a good quality, comfortable seat is one of my next upgrades. I was just curious if anyone had recommedations or suggestions, or maybe had similar issues in the past.

Thanks again everyone!

The one it came with would be one I would suggest actually.

Someone else mentioned Brooks, have a couple, love them they ain't all soft and kind to your man bits by any means.

Standing up more, full suspension, etc. I hear you on the micro trauma. Little any saddle will do for you in that respect, other than maybe the noseless ones, which to me, appear akin to medieval torture devices, and really cut down on control with your inner thighs on descents. Great if you have no other option beyond that, or no riding at all, but otherwise? Yuck.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Giant Chachi,

I'm not a guy so maybe this isn't very helpful but it was only on your right side nut? Is it strange that it was only on one side? Does it have anything to do with which side you...um....pack?

That sounds horrible. I hope you have a speedy recovery and find a solution ASAP.

mtbr member
    Someone else mentioned Brooks, have a couple, love them they ain't all soft and kind to your man bits by any means.
    For me I find many saddles do the job without issue. Unless I'm outa bike shape or pedaling all day. But also find I want the saddle tilt to be just right to feel a good connection as well as get it comfy. With the brooks that doesn't seem to matter as much. Guess because it supports you sorta like a hammock, so for me it has a wider range of tilt that I find ok.
    YMMV
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Epididymitis sucks. I had it once and I was in terrible pain for like a month. Doctor and meds took care of it but it's still not like before. You gotta be really careful when cycling.

Hope you felling better..
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 10:32 PM.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Yeah, just one. Really, I don't think it is the nut itself, but the tubes (Is that the right word? Tubes?) connecting to it.

One way I am told this infection can start is heavy exercise, or heavy exercise with a full bladder. I don't think I ever did that, but whatever. The strenous exercise can force urine into the wrong place, and with the bacteria in urine, you end up with an infection.

The study I referenced about mountain biking and the findings of ultra-sound in the scrotums of MTBers.

US Findings in the Scrotum of Extreme Mountain Bikers1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I hear ya, dude. i developed epididymitis some 30 years ago, then suffered from it periodically for 12 years or so, culminating in a 6 month long bout. Finally had to have surgery to provide any significant relief (yep, that's right). I have been, for the most part, pain free since the surgery, but believe me, walking around for 6 months feeling like you recently got smashed in the jewels leaves much to be desired. Most have a single, fairly short bout, and that's the end of it, I drew the short straw!
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ozz View Post
    ISM Adamo mounted at a 45 degree angle is the only way I can ride. But my nut pain is a bit extreme.

^ this. Sort of... minus the extreme nut pain. I have the nose of my saddle dipped quite a bit. I dont sit on it so much as lean back into it. Far less pressure on the ole prostate and the boys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Yeah, just one. Really, I don't think it is the nut itself, but the tubes (Is that the right word? Tubes?) connecting to it.

One way I am told this infection can start is heavy exercise, or heavy exercise with a full bladder. I don't think I ever did that, but whatever. The strenous exercise can force urine into the wrong place, and with the bacteria in urine, you end up with an infection.

The study I referenced about mountain biking and the findings of ultra-sound in the scrotums of MTBers.

US Findings in the Scrotum of Extreme Mountain Bikers1
    urine is sterile so doesnt have bacteria unless you have a urinary tract infection.

make sure you are sitting on your actual sit bones. I have almost no pressure on the soft area between my sit bones and testicles. I have a seat with a channel and without and they are both fine. You need to adjust the angle and how far forward the seat is. Maybe you have your seat too far back?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Here you go,meant to be very comfortable and they look good too,
    ISM ADAMO PEAK HYBRID MTB Bike GEL Saddle Black Split Nose Ergo TRI

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Go to wallbike.com and get the widest saddle Brooks makes (go with the select model if you can afford it). They have a 6 month return policy on those saddles so if you need a narrower one you can just return it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    delete

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pequin View Post
    At my age I'd look for a saddle without a real big hole in it. The mental image I get of the damage a knobby tire could inflict...
    Yeah, I've always wondered why so few people fear that their testicles might squeeze through that hole and be damaged.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Point taken for sure, and something I will discuss with my doc tomorrow. I don't think the seat specifically was the cause, but all the sudden I find myself thinking about comfort on those 4-5 hour rides, after going through this. My reading did find a study that showed a very high percentage of mountain bike riders having scrotal issues, when when comapred to roadies. The findings used the phrase "micro-trauma" as to a possible cause to the issues, which included all kinds of issues down there, epididymitis being one of those issues.

So while I don't think the saddle was the cause of the issue, or even contributed to the issue, finding a good quality, comfortable seat is one of my next upgrades. I was just curious if anyone had recommedations or suggestions, or maybe had similar issues in the past.

Thanks again everyone!
    You may want to try a brooks with springs.

Here, diagonally!
    Are you wearing riding shorts? I'm not a huge fan of spandex, but I usually wear padded spandex bike shorts under my khakis, especially on long rides. Helps to keep my junk more forward and up.

I'm running a Selle SMP TRK saddle and it works great, although after 9 months it is splitting at the front. Gorilla tape to the rescue. I paid $45 at CRC. I'm careful not to run the nose too high.

This can definitely be a health concern, so do what you can to protect yourself.

used to be RipRoar

Selle SMP Pro, Avant or Plus depending on width needed

You can demo them here for $20: SMP Pro Demo Saddle **OUT ON DEMO**

best saddle ive owned, great for steep climbs as well....not cheap but its great quality.

Name:  SP-SPRO-K-ANGLE.jpg
Views: 4547
Size:  21.5 KB

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sex Toy.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    You may want to try a brooks with springs.
    No way, not on a mtb. Why not just get a pogo stick, much cheaper.

And wider isn't more comfy or better unless your seat bones fit wider. I'd rather have my ass hurt while on a saddle too narrow, than get chafing from one too wide any day. Or you could just get a saddle that fits and have neither.

Just sayin'
    Last edited by theMeat; 02-14-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    As far as testicles going into or throu the cut out, it just doesn't happen, althou I've never tried it nude.

Padded pants/shorts/ or underpants is a good idea.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar View Post

best saddle ive owned, great for steep climbs as well....not cheap but its great quality.

I echo exaclty what he is saying. The cutout is great for your taint, and the bent down nose make a nice cradle for your nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    No way, not on a mtb. Why not just get a pogo stick, much cheaper.

And wider isn't more comfy or better unless your seat bones fit wider.
    Actually, I have 2 of them. Flyers. Basically a B17 with springs, and they are fantastic, love them for rough trail!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post
    Sex Toy.......
    Yeah, so?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I believe that would be a great seat. It just looks alot like some of the merchandise I have seen at the video store. (woman in a box) lol

mtbr member
    A few points:
    - As has been pointed out, your sit bones should be carrying your weight when seated, NOT your groin.
    - Seats are highly personal - your just have to try a few to get find that your butt prefers. Cut outs may or may not work for you.
    - Although the general wisdom is to not wear undies under your chamois riding shorts, I wear non-cotton undershorts to keep my junk tucked of the way.

mtbr member
    The RIDO bicycle saddle - get comfortable at long last!

A friend has an older model on his mtb... a spec fsr comp.

He's a surgical nurse and has done long rides like the hut-to-hut multi-day from Colorado to Utah.

He swears by it and he specifically got it for male groin issues.

Next time we ride, I'm going to try his bike out to see how the saddle feels for me.

Otherwise, I've been riding the Spec Body Geo saddles and WTB's with no major issues... gotta go out to the shop to see which models though.

mtbr member
    Actually, I have 2 of them. Flyers. Basically a B17 with springs, and they are fantastic, love them for rough trail!
    Cool, I stand corrected than. I love learning so thanx.
    Round and round we go

Loud hubs save lives!
    A week after thanksgiving I had to piss like a race horse, felt a little 'pop' as I jumped out of the car to run to the bathroom, and a week later had an infection. It seemed to travel from the epididimus to the prostate, and then urinary track. It cleared up in a week or two, but when I got back on the bike it came back.

I swapped the saddle out to a Sella Italia with a cut-out, but have not tried it yet. I also have a Selle Anatomica on the way, so hopefully one of those helps.

Good luck and keep us updated if you find something that works for you.

mtbr member

+1... highly recommend.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    I have a different problem, but my solution is a Selle Royal Lookin saddle and I wear padded tights and padded baggies.

Selle Royal

My issue is bursitis of the ischial tuberosities. I tried several saddles. The Brooks Swift I tried was way too hard for me; couldn't break it in.

You might be interested in one of their other models; maybe the Respiro?

Good, green, Oregon.
    Guys (and girlonbike), thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I had a follow up appointment today with my doc, who happens to be a cyclist too, and he said he didn’t think it was epididymitis or an infection at all. I really trust my doctor and value his thoughts for sure, so I believe his diagnosis. Basically he said that he thinks it is actually a pulled muscle of some kind, a muscle that connects to the pelvis and other areas down there. He asked if I had any trauma to that are before the pain began. Going back to August of 2012, I did have a pretty good wreck that left me with a very painful bruised kidney that put me in the ER. Shortly after the wreck happened and before I went to the ER, I had also thought I had pulled a groin muscle from that wreck, but shortly forgot about it as the kidney pain pretty much took over. So, while it is good to hear that it isn’t an infection, the drawback is that the healing of a pulled internal muscle will take a while. But, he said to get out and ride, it won’t hurt anything further.

Now, based on your recommendations, I have been researching saddles. The ISM Adamo is an nice looking seat for sure, as are the Selle Italias too. I really appreciate the input of demo saddles from online retailers as the demo and trial process on a saddle could be key. I had also heard that Specialized saddles with their Body Geometry design are pretty great too, and we have a local Specialized dealer. I went down to the shop and they measured my sit bones, which I have never done before. To be honest, I already forgot my measurement, so I will go back and do it again. But, the measurement was a bit on the wider side, even though I am 6’1” and 170lbs geared to ride. Wider than average, the Specialized tech told me. With the Fi’zi:k Tundra2, I found the width to be 125mm, which is a pretty narrow seat from what I can tell. I am truly thinking that while the Tundra2 is a quality seat, it is way too narrow for me, and I have been sitting on and supporting my weight not by my sit bones, but by soft tissue. Not the way to do it.

Again, I don’t think the seat factored in necessarily to my issue, but it may have opened my eyes to looking for a different saddle to increase that comfort factor, especially post injury. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress and what I end up with. Again, thank you all for your help and support. It means more to me than you know. That is why MTBR is such a great resource. Thank you!

Probably drunk right now
    I've been riding bikes for a long time. And in that time, there have been lots of conversations about protecting junk. I've found that saddle position and width are far more important than anything else when it comes to testicle comfort.

As many have pointed out, there shouldn't be any pressure on anything other than your sit bones (ischial tuberosities). What ensures that you only have pressure on your sit bones? Saddle position and saddle width.

On every bike I've ever set up, check the saddle position by balancing a clip board on top of the saddle, and then setting a bullet level on top of the clip board. I've found that a degree or two nose down from level works best for me.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

gobsmacked Moderator
    Kudos to you for swallowing your pride and being so open. Glad it's actually a muscle pull because those are kind of flukey anyway and not something that can keep coming back and damaging your um...precious. Your sit bones don't say you have a big butt so don't worry about that. (And even if it did, we're not going to tell you that!)

If anything, you'll feel much nicer on a good fitting saddle. It's the one thing that makes or breaks a ride.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Kudos to you for swallowing your pride and being so open. Glad it's actually a muscle pull because those are kind of flukey anyway and not something that can keep coming back and damaging your um...precious. Your sit bones don't say you have a big butt so don't worry about that. (And even if it did, we're not going to tell you that!)

If anything, you'll feel much nicer on a good fitting saddle. It's the one thing that makes or breaks a ride.
    Thanks girlonbike. It wasn't an easy swallow, but once I got passed the initial fear and embarrassment and understood the potential health effects, I had no problem mentioning it. In the end, I think it was a good thing, as you all helped me with ideas and suggestions. That said, there certainly is something humbling about your balls in the hands of another man. The other man being my doc, of course.

Finding out my sit bone measurement was very telling I think, that I am basically on a completely wrong seat. With measurements on the Tundra2 for width at 125mm, and I am thinking he said I was over 130mm on my sit bones, right there, the math doesn’t equal me being comfortable. Damn, I all this time and miles, and I could have been so much more comfortable.

Again, thanks all. I will update this thread when I try some saddles out and let you know where I ended up.

Loud hubs save lives!
    That's weird that the nut pain was a pulled muscle.. everything is so interconnected down there though, an irritation of one thing is bound to have some odd consequences.

OFS old, fat, slow
    Dec 2004
    FWIW, I had a bout of trouble that my doc diagnosed as prostatitis. It came about a year ago when we got our typical winter reprieve in January here in CO. I was out on the bike a lot (for me) and got to where I just felt like I had to pee all the time. My doc really couldn't say if the bike saddle had anything to do with it, but felt it was worth a try to try a different saddle.

After a little research and the advice of a client who is a fairly serious roadie, I bought a Koobie Si Gel saddle that claims a rear width of 160mm. They talk like it's a super plush recreational saddle, but it's not IMHO. It's less padded than the Terry Liberator I was using.

First day on it, I only went for a brief 30 minute ride - a loop from my house that I can take my dog for a run. My sit bones were SO tender the next day, I could hardly sit in a chair. All those years, I think I'd been on a saddle too narrow such that my sit bones weren't bearing any real weight. Call me ignorant!

It only took a few short rides to get over the sit bone discomfort, and now I LOVE my wider Koobie saddle! They're available online fairly cheap ($40ish), and they look good to boot.

Either way, I say get a saddle that supports your sit bones. It has made a huge difference for me.

AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For me having enough down angle on the saddle keeps the boys happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Agreed, why take a chance with your nuts? SMP has done countless research developing one of the best Nut friendly seats on the market. I made the switch a month ago to an SMP Plus and haven't looked back! My butt doesn't hurt anymore an my nuts aren't being treated like baseballs.

2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)

Probably drunk right now

Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Agreed, why take a chance with your nuts? SMP has done countless research developing one of the best Nut friendly seats on the market. I made the switch a month ago to an SMP Plus and haven't looked back! My butt doesn't hurt anymore an my nuts aren't being treated like baseballs.

If your butt and nuts hurt, your old saddle wasn't sized or positioned correctly.

Saddles are a personal choice. Just because one works for you, doesn't make it right for anyone else.

For me personally, almost any saddle I've ever ridden that is the correct width has worked fine for me. I don't care too much about brand. When I buy a saddle, I tend to pull one out of the discarded saddle bin at my lbs. they usually charge me $10 or a sixer or homemade cookies.

I'm currently rocking a specialized wsd on one of my Mtbs. Not sure what brands are on my other mtb, road or cx bike.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.

mtbr member
    I've been riding SMPs for the last couple of years and really like them for the unparalleled taint friendliness while climbing steeps and having weight on the nose of the saddle. No other saddle I've ridden come close in this regard.

mtbr member
    Wow...This is a great thread on a really serious topic. Going back about 2 years ago I had a pretty serious issue with epididymitis that went on and off for about 8 months or so. When I first went to the doc and described my symptoms (swollen feeling in the testicle, moderate pain, burning feeling in the bladder) he initially had me tested for an STD. I assured him it wasn't; happily married man here! He didn't think it was either but had to rule it out. While the urine sample was being tested he had put me some antibiotics. Of course after a few days the test came back negative so he had me stop taking the antibiotics (no infection). He diagnosed me with epididimitis due to the "jostling around" of everything down there while mountain biking and had me take some time of the bike and take some anti-inflammatory meds. After about 2 weeks everything was back to normal until it happened, again and again for about 8 months....every time, taking 2 weeks to clear up once it happened. Fast forward about 2 years and my issue is nearly solved. The root cause was riding mountain bikes in baggies with the cheap, unsupporting chamois. A good pair of well fitting bibs practically solved my issue. The only time I can start to feel things get uncomfortable down there now is during longer stretches of rides on the trainer.....like 1:30 a night for 5 days in a row or something like that. Luckily I only have to do that when we're snowed in here in Massachusetts (like now!!!). Anyhow, this is a great thread that I hope keeps going with folks sharing their stories.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For a while last year I was having some discomfort, then bought an expensive seat sized to my sit bones. Maybe it helped, meh, but really it was refining down seat height on all my bikes that I think helped the most. AND, I wear wicking tighties under my chamois every ride now. It keeps my junk from "jostling around" and out of the way of the seat. The few times I've gone without, I was very surprised of the difference and don't see how folks go without liners.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I've been riding SMPs for the last couple of years and really like them for the unparalleled taint friendliness while climbing steeps and having weight on the nose of the saddle. No other saddle I've ridden come close in this regard.
    G4A,

Not sure if you were responding to me or to the thread in general? If you were responding to me, I'd like to clarify my response:

I'm not suggesting that SMP's aren't great saddles. But going from a bad saddle to ANY properly fitting/set up saddle will alleviate butt and nad pain. If someone previously had butt and nad pain and a new saddle brand X fixes that, then the problem was more likely that the previous saddle wasn't set up properly or didn't fit, not that new saddle brand X is the end all, be all of saddles. SMP may be superior saddles. In fact, I may spend some money on a saddle and test them based on this thread.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Saddle Help……For A Man …With Nuts. Please!

As apposed to a woman with nuts or a man with no nuts. No nuts need not apply.
    My old girlfriend used to crack me up. She used to say "I don't know how you guys deal with those things". She was referring to the whole package. I had to explain how they just seem to find their own comfortable position 99% of the time. With the other 1% a manual adjustment by the owner is a welcomed relief. Sorry for getting off track, and now back to our regular scheduled program.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    G4A,

Not sure if you were responding to me or to the thread in general? If you were responding to me, I'd like to clarify my response:

I'm not suggesting that SMP's aren't great saddles. But going from a bad saddle to ANY properly fitting/set up saddle will alleviate butt and nad pain. If someone previously had butt and nad pain and a new saddle brand X fixes that, then the problem was more likely that the previous saddle wasn't set up properly or didn't fit, not that new saddle brand X is the end all, be all of saddles. SMP may be superior saddles. In fact, I may spend some money on a saddle and test them based on this thread.
    Wasn't referring to your comment Ken in KC - what you say makes sense to me. I was just pointing out something I think is unique about the SMP saddles. But the drop nose, while a great feature for seated climbing, probably wouldn't have any effect on testicular comfort in general. Proper width and set up, like you say, are the first things to get right.

mtbr member
    After several years Mtb I took the plunge and took up road riding to improve fitness.
    Once i got passed 30miles I found my bits where going numb.
    At 50miles it was taking a good 15-20 mins post ride for sensation to come back and started looking into it on google.
    Saddle was the right size and at the right angles.
    Several hundred pounds later I came across the SMP saddles and found a supplier in the UK. I paid my deposit and was able to take a saddle for a few weeks and trial it.
    I eventually settled on the SMP Forma with no padding (other than padded cycling shorts)
    Now riding 100miles plus with no numbness.
    Might have been an expensive purchase but far better than doing damage.
    MTB: Stumpy, Enduro, Hotrock, Commencal Supreme
    ROAD: Jamis Zenith, Pinarello Dogma

turtles make me hot
    Selle Italia :: MAX « Selle Italia

I recently bought my wife a Diva Gel Ladyflow from Selle Italia. Gotta say... Nice saddle. The link is for what I guess is the men's version. They also make one called the Ladyman but I bet anything they don't sell a whole lot of those.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Alright guys, I need a bit of help or direction here. I am looking into a new saddle for my 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er. It came with a pretty decent seat with a Fi’zi:k Tundra2, but I ran into a bit of an issue……

I’ll be honest here, this kind of scared the s#*t out of me. I recently was in the ER with some serious right nut pain. I kind of waited a bit too long to make an appointment, as I was the typical guy that was embarrassed to tell the cute nurse that I had a sore nut. Well, three weeks ago today, I just about passed out on my way home from work. Once I did get home, I told my wife that I need to get to the ER because I was in terrible pain.

Well, turns out they think I had epididymitis, or an infection of the little tub that connects to your nut. Anyways, some antibiotics and pain management and 3+ weeks off the bike, and I think I am good to go. I have a follow up with my doc tomorrow, who is a cyclist (MTBer turned roadie), which I think will help get me further insight.

So, after all that, I am looking for a good saddle. A saddle that is good for men, and after my reading and researching, one that has a channel or hole in it to relieve some of the pressure. I am curious if any of you have ran into issues “down there” that forced you to look to a certain type of saddle, and if so, what worked for you? I get how the channel would work, and the hole too, but do these really do what they are designed to do?

I know that saddle preference and fit is unique to the individual, but I figured you all could at least put me on the right path that may have worked for you. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated for sure. My wife would also pass along the thanks too!

Sorry for the TMI thread here, but I needed help, and you are my “friends” that could help with your knowledge. Thank you in advance!
    If you're having nut pain your problem more likely your shorts than your seat. Get some real cycling shorts and if you wear baggies , cut the cheapo inside lining out and wear the real shorts underneath. The boys need to be held in place..

Good, green, Oregon.
    I tried a Specialized Romin Evo Expert yesterday on a short 8 mile ride, some climbing, some steep descending, some flat XC. It was a 155mm wide saddle, and it truly felt different and I liked it. My last saddle was 125mm, and I truly think the width had more to do than anything. My sit bones weren't on the saddle before, and with this saddle they were. Plus, this saddle had the channel down the middle, so no pressure on any of the soft tissue. I am going to try another couple too, most likely Monday. But already, the width has made a huge difference that I never considered before.

So far, my moral to the story is........Get your sit bones measured! Get a seat that fits!

Good, green, Oregon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    If you're having nut pain your problem more likely your shorts than your seat. Get some real cycling shorts and if you wear baggies , cut the cheapo inside lining out and wear the real shorts underneath. The boys need to be held in place..
    I have been wearing Endura Humvee shorts with the detachable chamois, so they are pretty good quality riding shorts for baggies. I figured the shorts/chamois thing out really quick!

turtles make me hot
    This thread reminds me of a ride once where I had to duck around a tree that was leaning into the trail, but the trail is also on the edge of a steep drop... You went around the tree but not so far as to fall off the trail. I actually squashed one of my nuts between my body and the seat. Damn, that hurt.
    Thankfully, someone cut the tree down to the ground, so that particular obstacle is no longer an issue.
    I like turtles

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    This thread reminds me of a ride once where I had to duck around a tree that was leaning into the trail, but the trail is also on the edge of a steep drop... You went around the tree but not so far as to fall off the trail. I actually squashed one of my nuts between my body and the seat. Damn, that hurt.
    Thankfully, someone cut the tree down to the ground, so that particular obstacle is no longer an issue.
    It was all fun and games until someone got hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

ISM saddles are the best at protecting nuts. No more numbness.

Members who have read this thread: 3