Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    68

    Are s-works bikes worth it, specifically the Fuse

    I tried the plus forum and got zero responses

    I have a chance to pick up a sworks fuse at a decent price, not retail

    I ride an aluminum fuse currently

    Curious if I should just stick with what I have or upgrade
    Itís about a $3k delta I need to pay.

    For Xx1 eagle, sram carbon brakes, carbon wheels and swat carbon frame. And the ÷hlins fork

    It is nice the weight difference. I am concerned about long term use of the ÷hlins. Parts and service for it 5 years down the road

    I am also currently mulling over just installing XT brakes on my expert fuse and looking at a 34 fox fork

    But maybe that is throwing good money after bad

    Thanks for any responses
    Last edited by baitdragger; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:48 PM.

  2. #2
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: langster831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    634
    Is it worth it to you? You'll look like a pro out there on the trails. Seems like a lot of money for not a lot of gain, I'd just upgrade what I have.

  3. #3
    CEO Product Failure
    Reputation: bingemtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    997
    I don't know anyone who rides a 5 year old S-works. Most of the times, the racers who have them unload them after 18mos.

    They seem like phenomenal bikes but beyond my budget.

  4. #4
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,577
    Value is in the eye of the beholder.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    68
    Iíve decided to pass on the sworks. Installing XT brakes on Monday

    Too damn wet to ride anyway....who knows the S-WORKS has been there for a year plus, maybe 6 months from now it will be even cheaper

    Thanks for the responses thus far

  6. #6
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,171
    Very expensive bicycles use very expensive replacement parts.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,706
    If I'm going to spent thousands on a bike, I want it to have the parts I want. I'd rather buy a frame and build it how I like, than to buy a complete top spec bike off the shelf.

    I'm wouldn't be too concerned about the Ohlins fork. Their US office is in the next county over from me. There are more than a few Ohlins forks rolling around locally, and not just the ones that were OEM on Specialized bikes.

    But other stuff on the bike, I don't care for. For one, I don't like Specialized's swat box in their carbon frames.

    I don't like SRAM brakes. I'm not thrilled by some of the issues Eagle has. My wife has a GX11 drivetrain on her bike and it's been excellent. But Eagle, no thanks. Don't want it.

    Since you've decided to pass on it and keep with your existing bike, there are some very good suspension forks on the market that AREN'T Fox or RockShox.

  8. #8
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,946
    Sworks always seem to be rediculously overpriced.

  9. #9
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: langster831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Sworks always seem to be rediculously overpriced.
    Well, it is their top of the line, a lot of bikes fall in the overpriced category in my opinion.

  10. #10
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    For one, I don't like Specialized's swat box in their carbon frames.
    The Swat box is the only thing I like about their bikes.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If I'm going to spent thousands on a bike, I want it to have the parts I want. I'd rather buy a frame and build it how I like, than to buy a complete top spec bike off the shelf.

    I'm wouldn't be too concerned about the Ohlins fork. Their US office is in the next county over from me. There are more than a few Ohlins forks rolling around locally, and not just the ones that were OEM on Specialized bikes.

    But other stuff on the bike, I don't care for. For one, I don't like Specialized's swat box in their carbon frames.

    I don't like SRAM brakes. I'm not thrilled by some of the issues Eagle has. My wife has a GX11 drivetrain on her bike and it's been excellent. But Eagle, no thanks. Don't want it.

    Since you've decided to pass on it and keep with your existing bike, there are some very good suspension forks on the market that AREN'T Fox or RockShox.

    Any good ideas on a shock for my fuse?

    It currently has a manitou comp. 34mm. 4.8lbs

  12. #12
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,946
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    Well, it is their top of the line, a lot of bikes fall in the overpriced category in my opinion.
    I don't disagree

    I guess for me, I'm happy with the "XT" level of components for most things, just can bring myself to buy a $200+ cassette when it's a wear item.

  13. #13
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Swat box is the only thing I like about their bikes.
    I have spent a fair chunk of time now trying to find the best solution to the packless dilemma. Specialized has this nailed with their SWAT box and the rest of their SWAT accessories. Not quite worth selling my soul to the devil though...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,456
    If you race xc and every gram counts... or you have a fat wallet and the expense doesnít change your life to pay for it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  15. #15
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,577
    Well...I don't race and I don't count grams. Nor is my wallet fat.

    I have been riding many years and I have owned many bikes. I simply choose to have nice rides.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  16. #16
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
    Any good ideas on a shock for my fuse?

    It currently has a manitou comp. 34mm. 4.8lbs
    I really like the MSR fork I have. Think about what kind of ride you want before you start looking at the scale.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Similar Threads

  1. S-works Fuse, any long term feedback from owners
    By baitdragger in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 07:45 PM
  2. 27.5+ Specialized Fuse HT S-Works
    By rushman3 in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2016, 08:54 PM
  3. 2017 Specialized Fuse Expert worth the $$$ over the Fuse Comp
    By RumRunnerXT in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-2016, 07:41 AM
  4. 2017 S Works Fuse
    By DucRR in forum Specialized
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2016, 06:12 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 07:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 142

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.