Runner's Knee- Mtbr.com

Thread: Runner's Knee

Aug 2006

Runner's Knee

For the past 15 weeks I've been training for a marathon. Just recently, I noticed I'm suffering from the symptoms of Runner's Knee. My right knee starts to ache terribly once I hit about the 3 mile mark. Yesterday, I went for a quick 10 mile mtb ride and noticed my knee started to feel funky just towards the tail end.

Has anyone here had runners knee, and what's the best way to have it heal (other than just resting)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I know this is a mountain biking forum and all but I would recommend laying off the biking for a bit. If you are in the 15th week of your marathon training you should be tapering off for the race and taking it relatively easy. Since its already started to hurt the best you can do is ice it like crazy and hope for the best. I've had it before and usually if I cut back on what I'm doing (which you probably should be doing anyway) and ice it after every run and at night it usually starts to feel better. Taking an anti-inflammatory should also help, just don't take them before you run. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches Malone
    For the past 15 weeks I've been training for a marathon. Just recently, I noticed I'm suffering from the symptoms of Runner's Knee. My right knee starts to ache terribly once I hit about the 3 mile mark. Yesterday, I went for a quick 10 mile mtb ride and noticed my knee started to feel funky just towards the tail end.

Has anyone here had runners knee, and what's the best way to have it heal (other than just resting)?
    It really depends on what it is exactly. Is it classic patellor tendonitis or a frayed plica band getting pinched by your knee cap ( I have both and had to quit collegiate track or face surgery) or something else? Theres alot going on down that that feels very similar when it goes wrong. Obviously the best thing to do is to ice like mad when your done. Runners knee generally ensues when you make the jump to high mileage weeks. A common cause is a bad step. I would honestly look into getting custom foot beds made ($300) they have a great chance of correcting this problem....other than ice, new beds, and stretching....maybe look towards Iontophoresis (highly concentrated method of medicating a specifc area) or even cortisone or an mri and surgery .

Honestly dont worry though... chances are a bit of ice and relaxation will ease the inflamation and get you back out there...

Aug 2006
    Awesome, thanks guys. Taking your advice, I'm going to rest up before the race and attempt alternative low impact forms of training. Race day is the first weekend of June. Wish me luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0