mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ross - new bike brand?

I just saw an ad on mtbr for Ross Bicycles. It looks like there isn't much to their site at the moment:

https://rossbikes.com/

Any word on these?

slow
    I had a 1983 Ross mountain bike years ago. They were pretty good in the 80's, but I haven't heard much from them in recent years.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I had a 1983 Ross mountain bike years ago. They were pretty good in the 80's, but I haven't heard much from them in recent years.
    Apparently they regrouped and started up again. My sidebar in this site has been inundated with ads about then for a couple of weeks. Seems to be teaser ads for an upcoming line because when you click nothing comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Don't think it's related to the old brand. Did some whois'ing and led to this guy in FL:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/shaunross/

who owns this shop:

https://www.golocal247.com/biz/rider...l/LOC896263309

I'd guess some kind of China drop-ship biz model.

Upcyclist
    It's all in the "About Us" link on their site, c'mon people.

https://rossbikes.com/aboutus/
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

slow
    Cindy Whitehead was one of their most famous sponsored riders, and most photographed. She won a 50 mile race in 1986 with no seat after having her seatpost break in the first couple of miles:

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/...tos-cindy3.jpg

https://mmbhof.org/cindy-whitehead-buccowich/

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...os-139476.html

mtbr member
    Back in the 70's I recall Ross being a brand name similar to Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    It's all in the "About Us" link on their site, c'mon people.

https://rossbikes.com/aboutus/
    I went to the shop link and when there was nothing, assumed there was basically no content anywhere.

I'm surprised that a brand would advertise, create a web presence, but not have an actual product to look at. It makes me have less confidence in the brand right out of the gate.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    I went to the shop link and when there was nothing, assumed there was basically no content anywhere.

I'm surprised that a brand would advertise, create a web presence, but not have an actual product to look at. It makes me have less confidence in the brand right out of the gate.
    I saw their ads before I installed an ad-blocker (finally!) and they looked pretty good, I didn't click on anything so I only saw like half a bike.

I bet they'll have some decent stuff and I wouldn't be suspicious of their quality, they "mass produced the first mountain bikes ever", lol, wonder what CK would have to say about that.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    2 things I noticed-

Their warranty and disclaimer first. They sound like dicks... Lawyers, in other words.

Second- unless they reinvented the drive train to run on the left side of the bike, their marketing/web designers need to learn about bicycles.

Ross - new bike brand?-screenshot_20181220-213845_chrome.jpg
    Hubbard Bike Club

Cycologist
    From Wikipedia:

Ross Bicycles Inc. manufactured over 15 million bicycles[3] under the Ross brand, between 1946 and 1988. The company began in Williamsburg, New York, later moving its headquarters and manufacturing to Rockaway Beach, Queens.[4] The headquarters remained in Rockaway when manufacturing was later moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania[5] Sherwood Ross retooled the Allentown Pennsylvania factory and experimented in unrelated bicycle endeavors involving government contracts that put immense strain on the corporation's financials. Randy Ross moved Ross bicycles manufacturing to Taiwan to keep margins competitive and bicycle manufacturing profitable, but the decision to keep the Allentown factory working on government contracts, ultimately led to the company's demise and bankruptcy in 1988.

Ross competed domestically with bicycle manufacturers including Schwinn and Huffy and was noted as a pioneering manufacturer of mountain bikes.

The Ross name was purchased by Rand Cycle in Farmingdale, New York, which suffered a recall of 11,000 mountain bikes in 1998.[13] Randy Ross, grandson of Albert, introduced a stair stepper bike in 2007.[14] Randy Ross and his son Shaun Ross re-established Ross Bicycles in 2017 on July 31st.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Bikesexual
    ^^same designer as Jensons?

Edit: That was for the post before Chaz.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Cindy Whitehead was one of their most famous sponsored riders, and most photographed. She won a 50 mile race in 1986 with no seat after having her seatpost break in the first couple of miles:

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/...tos-cindy3.jpg

https://mmbhof.org/cindy-whitehead-buccowich/

https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retr...os-139476.html
    I can't see the reason they took so many photos of her.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    2 things I noticed-

Their warranty and disclaimer first. They sound like dicks... Lawyers, in other words.

Second- unless they reinvented the drive train to run on the left side of the bike, their marketing/web designers need to learn about bicycles.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181220-213845_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	1230058
    Saw this too haha. Maybe they'll be the first to do 13 speed left side drive... The big three better strap in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member

mtbr member
    2 things I noticed-

Rider has a green/gold jersey, which are Aussie colors. They run their drive trains on the left in the southern hemisphere.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Also notably none of the bikes in the photos are branded. Three of the five photos on their splash page feature butts

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    From Wikipedia:

Ross Bicycles Inc. manufactured over 15 million bicycles[3] under the Ross brand, between 1946 and 1988. The company began in Williamsburg, New York, later moving its headquarters and manufacturing to Rockaway Beach, Queens.[4] The headquarters remained in Rockaway when manufacturing was later moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania[5] Sherwood Ross retooled the Allentown Pennsylvania factory and experimented in unrelated bicycle endeavors involving government contracts that put immense strain on the corporation's financials. Randy Ross moved Ross bicycles manufacturing to Taiwan to keep margins competitive and bicycle manufacturing profitable, but the decision to keep the Allentown factory working on government contracts, ultimately led to the company's demise and bankruptcy in 1988.

Ross competed domestically with bicycle manufacturers including Schwinn and Huffy and was noted as a pioneering manufacturer of mountain bikes.

The Ross name was purchased by Rand Cycle in Farmingdale, New York, which suffered a recall of 11,000 mountain bikes in 1998.[13] Randy Ross, grandson of Albert, introduced a stair stepper bike in 2007.[14] Randy Ross and his son Shaun Ross re-established Ross Bicycles in 2017 on July 31st.
    So there is a connection. Mystery solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

the discerning hooligan
    I hope they make it....more players is good for the game.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I don't know, it's a very crowded field these days.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I don't think we need more companies selling branded catalog frames.

Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I'd guess some kind of China drop-ship biz model.
    If they were designing stuff on their own, they'd probably at least have something vague about their designs. But no, just some bad stock photography. So I'll bet this is pretty close to truth. Probably just buying a bunch of open mold catalog frames, putting the ROSS name on them, and building them up with whatever components. Will probably be another direct-to-consumer brand. The real question is whether they'll be a competitor to Bikes Direct, or to the likes of YT and whatnot.

mbtr member
    2 things I noticed-

That one got a chuckle from me, but i think it's just a mirrored pic and not as funny as this one-
    Ross - new bike brand?-wtf.jpg
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I don't think we need more companies selling branded catalog frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I don't know, it's a very crowded field these days.
    I just remember Ross being very much in the mix at the beginning of this whole mountain bike thing. If all they end up doing as a brand is build on and sell cheap cookie cutter Chinese manufactured frames then it won't affect most us very much. I do think that the bikesdirect.com type companies have a solid place in the market as the incremental step between the box stores and the bike shops. If Ross sets up shop in that segment, isn't still good for the consumer shopping in that market? That was kind of the space they occupied for a long time...a decent quality, cheaper domestic alternitive to the high end Euro bikes.
    Last edited by MOJO K; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:22 PM.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!