Rode a HT for 1st time in 4yrs...I like! So what FS bike compares to HT ride best?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Rode a HT for 1st time in 4yrs...I like! So what FS bike compares to HT ride best?

I am looking for a FS ride that best mimics a HT. I weigh 200lbs, (210 with adventure race gear). I have been looking at an NRS or an Epic. Any others? Suggestions? I won't go with a suspension seatpost, thats what was on the HT for 1/2 my ride until I swopped with my regular seatpost.

Mar 2004

Nrs??

Quote Originally Posted by DCepp
    I am looking for a FS ride that best mimics a HT. I weigh 200lbs, (210 with adventure race gear). I have been looking at an NRS or an Epic. Any others? Suggestions? I won't go with a suspension seatpost, thats what was on the HT for 1/2 my ride until I swopped with my regular seatpost.
    I've heard lots of good things about the NRS. In particular, its ability to reduce bob. I would also suggest posing this question in the Clydes forum (not at all a shot) - and see what people there have found. Being 130lbs. myself, our definitions of 'firm' and 'plush' would likely differ substantially.

Good luck. Be sure to post a pic of the new steed when you decide.

GF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you like the HT ride so much, why aren't you considering getting a HT. Not being a smartass, but might help us to get a little more info to give an informed reply.

That said, the SPV-type suspensions will best mimic a HT. Think Epic, Blur, or others.... (These bikes are not for me, but I rode the Epic and thought it was like a hybrid HT/FS)

Cleavage Of The Tetons

Hands down, NRS.

After that, Epic. NRS is the best "stand and hammer" dually that I have ever ridden, and at 5.25# or so, very light.

Jan 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I forgot to include that I have heard of problems with the frame for clydesdales. I have heard of the top tubes denting. Is this fact or fiction?

mtbr member

cannondale scalpel

take a look at a cannondale scalpel (with the lefty of course). from my experience it rides quite a bit like a hard tail with the added benefit of the short travel. i have a jekyll now and am looking at a scalpel for a second ride.

BTW--what adventure races do you do?
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

mtbr dismember

Specialized Epic?

I've never ridden a hardtail on a trail but my Specialized Epic is totally locked out when climbing and on the flat. The rear shock only activates on bumps. It has absolutely no bobbing when climbing.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbykr
    take a look at a cannondale scalpel (with the lefty of course). from my experience it rides quite a bit like a hard tail with the added benefit of the short travel. i have a jekyll now and am looking at a scalpel for a second ride.

BTW--what adventure races do you do?
    New England Adventure Race Series (VT,NH,ME) 12 and 24hr races, 40-90 miles in length. Check out www.racingahead.com.

-Dave

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    If you like the HT ride so much, why aren't you considering getting a HT. Not being a smartass, but might help us to get a little more info to give an informed reply.

That said, the SPV-type suspensions will best mimic a HT. Think Epic, Blur, or others.... (These bikes are not for me, but I rode the Epic and thought it was like a hybrid HT/FS)
    I had back surgery 5 years ago and due to my size I think a HT frame will be a little too stressed due to my riding style. I was thinking about the Epic too.
    -Dave

mtbr member

adventure racing

i was asking because i work with OAR:

www.oarevents.com

i am from NH (currently living in VA, but always from NH) and always interested in AR from home. with that said the scalpel is a great bike as well as the santa cruz blur. both will give you the feel of a hard tail ( the blur has more travel in the rear) i have a lot of experience with both bikes, and while the blur has a little more travel in the rear the scalpel will have a little closer feel to a hardtail. whatever you end up with you can send the rear fox to push and get them to build it with a platform damping in it and it will be superior to anything off the shelf.

Good Luck
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

recovering roadie
    Maverick, actually.

http://www.maverickbike.com

No, I don't work for them, I just like the bike a lot.