rockshox recon solo air question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

rockshox recon solo air question

Hey guys,

I hadn't riden my bike in about 3 weeks. I was going out today and before I load my bike I normaly ride it down my driveway. Doing so I noticed my fork compressed a good ways down not normal. I took it to the LBS and he said that much loss wasn't rrally normal but we pumped it back up to 85 psi it was down to 30 psi. This bike/fork is only like a month or 2 old. I was told to check it in a week and see where it is at its still covered under warranty. But I am wondering if this might be due to not using my bike for 3 weeks? The shop I bought my bike from also said they have seen that happen on a bike before and pumped it back up and never had an issue with it again. Any thoughts? Its a 2013 trek stache 7.

mtbr member
    And another thing. After pumping it back to 85 and taking it out on the trails it road just fine ripped up the trailz like normal.

AZ
    banned
    If it keeps losing air at that rate you're going to want to have it looked at.

Sergeant Spandex
    If it happens agin I would insist on a warranty replacement, no repair. no messing around, it's only a month old.

Steven

mtbr member
    Just a suggestion, often the soloair system leaks because it is dry and has no lube. If you have the tools, unscrew the left legs topcap and look into the stanchion for oil. There is suppose to be 3ccs on top of the piston. RS recommends 15W (I believe) but I use 10W30 full synthetic motor oil which I also use for semi-bath in the lowers. If you decide to get the full synthetic, I go to autozone and buy the Castro European. You only need a cap full or so. Even it if does not help (meaning a bad seal), you should do this regularly (6 months or so, depending on how much you ride). I have some 2008 Tora 318 Soloair forks that get ridden often and have never needed a seal kit, I do change the damper oil yearly.

Lastly, RS has had issues with the valve stem, have you tried the "spit test" to see if it's leaking?

mtbr member
    No havnt tried the spit test and k was actually gonna see about trying to tighten the stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Few things to add. First, if your not familiar with servicing Rockshox forks you should study up before cracking it open. Not mentioned but Be sure to release all air in the fork before opening the top air cap or it'll shoot off if under pressure.

Second, if this is under warranty then you should have your shop do all of this for you. You should be there when they do the work to learn a few things.

Third, the newer air springs from RS use a lot more suspension grease than oil so it is most likely lubed OK but if it isn't you'll want to liberally grease the foam ring and o-rings on the air piston. However, a leak in the air spring to allow air to move between positive and negative is most likely not your problem. The two chambers will want to equal out when this happens which is what a solo air spring is supposed to do anyway.

Your leak is most likely coming from the air valve, the top cap o-ring or the bottom airs print bumper/cap. In any case you'll need a replacement part for whichever is the culprit. May be easiest to have your shop get a full air spring rebuild kit and replace the above parts. Would be quickest and least frustrating.

Forks shouldn't lose half their psi over the course of a few weeks of not being ridden. All of my fox shocks tended to seep a little air but not my forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Third, the newer air springs from RS use a lot more suspension grease than oil so it is most likely lubed OK but if it isn't you'll want to liberally grease the foam ring and o-rings on the air piston. However, a leak in the air spring to allow air to move between positive and negative is most likely not your problem. The two chambers will want to equal out when this happens which is what a solo air spring is supposed to do anyway.
    I'm not so sure this is entirely correct regarding grease, take a look at the RS oil charts, even the 2014 Recon Gold/Silver uses semibath (15W), and 3 cc' on top of the air piston. Many lower end forks use grease though. It is most likely not seeping out of the bottom of the air spring as would likely blow the seal up the stanchion. I agree, if it we seeping between the chambers, the negative spring side might get too much pressure and sag/bottom more easily. My experience is RS does not use enough lube, including my 2014 RS Monarch RT3 & my Boxxer R2C2. I service every new fork regardless of manufacture, many have the right amount of oil, but some have been bone dry.

If you are comfortable working on them, give it a shot. If not as mnigro said, take it back and try and learn. I learned on my own roughly 38 years ago with my MX bikes. For me, it's a stress relief from my day job. definitely start with the valve though.

29ers Forever
    Definitely get a replacement shock through the dealer. It should be free.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Ya I'm gonna keep an eye on it I'll check it friday . I'm going to check the stem on the fork also to make sure its tight. Checked the stiffness today and felt fine.

mtbr member
    Just an update! So I went and got the schrader valve tool and checked my forks valve tightness. It was very tight so I tightened it down and feel good that might have been the issue. I'll keep an eye on it and check back with you guys in a week. Merry christmas!