road racing and mtb racing...a little bit conflictive..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

road racing and mtb racing...a little bit conflictive..

Hi

Im a mountain biker since 6 years ago aprox, well recently (1 year ago) I started road riding and racing and Im loving it...
    Im doing the most of my training rides on the road bike and sometimes I do ride the MTB just to do some tech trails (but I think thats not enough).
    I have a couple of national races, doing semi pro in MTB and cat3-2 in road racing...
    Sometimes I feel a little slow on the mountain bike, climbing and descending...I tend to apply too much the brakes going down because of the fear of falling down.
    Before when I was only doing MTB I could descend with less problems than now...
    What do you recommend to excel in both things?
    Just technical rides on the mountain bike?
    I was thinking to do something like this: 4 days a week road rides with 2 days of mountain bike descending skills and one more day just climbing on dirt.

What do you think about this, and please tell me your experiences.

Thanks in advance!
    bye

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Semi-pro MTB'ing and you feel slow climbing?!?!?! This is odd.

Practice your techical skills (descending and climbing off-rd) more often since this appears to be your limiter during racing. Get rid of those weaknesses if you intend to continue competing at the S-P level!!!

Crunchatize me Capn'
    It seems by your thread that you've basically lost a little confidence in your mtn biking skills since you don't practice them as much. I guess the only real solution is to mtn bike more. I think this is personal to each person in the amount of time they would need.

my fun has a hurting
    my personal experience is as a long time roadie and a new mtn biker. i have found that since i started riding off road my road riding has gotten exponentially better. sounds liek the exact opposite is happening to you. the only solution, ride more! besides its always nice to have an excuse to spend more time on the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seat time. Thats all it is. Mtn bike seat time

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I'm a little confused.

What category road racer are you? If you started last year, how did you get to be a Cat 3?

May 2005

road and trail should compliment

I went from MTB to try some road time trials with a roadie mates good bike and he was amazed at me. He was doing serious milage on road and I was up there with him.
    I can see the lure of the road. Its a smoother calmer endurance than the explosive MTB.
    I plan on doing a lot more road over summer. I have found that on road on any decent climbs you are out of the saddle pumping and wishing you had granny cogs. But that still means you are climbing much quicker albeit for bigger energy input. Then when climbing back on MTB trails invariable more spinning up the climbs is done and in higher spinning gears you are moving slower. Perhaps up your MTB training and take on more TTrials on road as they are more explosive over shorter time which would compliment MTBing and vice versa.

P

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    What category road racer are you? If you started last year, how did you get to be a Cat 3?
    Good race results! I have seen several riders reach Cat.2 in their first season.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Do more mountain bike training.

The endurance you get from riding on the trails will carry over to the road. This will also hone your trail skills.

If you're doing road races (as opposed to crits), then there's not much in the way of handling skills you need to develop, so you might as well get your miles on the dirt if you're riding alone.

I dig trails!
    This should address you downhill issues:

Get on an AM bike. Follow a buddy with some "skillz" down a troubling technical trail.

Now do that same trail downhill 3 or 4 times in a day. You will get better, learn more and gain confindence with each repetition. Try to do this once a week.

Remember, reps and intervals are not just training for uphill.

Your new found skills are transferrable to any bike you ride.

I learned what is possible by following better riders.

I've ridden stairs and bunny-hopped crashers in a group, all on my road bike.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks!, I think that my main problem going downhill is to "re" learn that confindence needed to go at full speed on the MTB.
    Best solution is ride more my MTB during techinical trails...
    thanks for your advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My bad...In my country we do not have cat`s for the road bike...we just have the same categorys that apply for MTB...so for that reason I made the "equivalence".
    BTW, a couple month ago, I did a power test and following the cowan table (the same that is published on cyclingpeaks) I`m in the middle of the cat3...so...

Well, thanks a lot for your answers!!
    I really appreciate them...I think that there`s just one simple answer...mtb saddle time...GOING DOWN!...

thanks!
    bye

Members who have read this thread: 0