RIP bike mag.- Mtbr.com

Thread: RIP bike mag.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

RIP bike mag.

RIP bike mag. Super bummed.

mtbr member
    I never thought there was a perfect mountain biking magazine but Bike was good.

It's also kind of strange in that mountain biking is in a bit of waxing stage, so if you can't make it work now that's concerning.

Up In Smoke
    Surprised they held out as long as they did. We can thank the internet....Instagram, facebook, mtbr.

mtbr member
    That was a good one. I still subscribe to Bicycling and thoroughly enjoy it. Nothing beats an actual magazine in my hands vs staring at a screen...
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

mtbr member
    that was a good mag, but I admit I can't remember the last time I purchased a magazine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    that was a good mag, but I admit I can't remember the last time I purchased a magazine.
    For me it was about 10 years ago, and I only bought it because I was panicking before a flight (forgot my Kindle). Sadly the internet has killed off most magazines it seems like. You can just fit so much more information on a web page or blog.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    That was a good one. I still subscribe to Bicycling and thoroughly enjoy it. Nothing beats an actual magazine in my hands vs staring at a screen...
    Especially sitting on the commode.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Losing Dirt Rag was worse.

MBA kinda sux.
    Don't post, ride.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by thegock View Post
    Losing Dirt Rag was worse.

MBA kinda sux.
    MBA totally sucks. Bike, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Same. It's been at least a decade for me.

mtbr member
    I've heard rumors the plug was pulled mid bible bike test. Anybody have any insight on that ?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    It's also kind of strange in that mountain biking is in a bit of waxing stage, so if you can't make it work now that's concerning.
    There's some insight here; https://www.wildsnow.com/28356/ski-t...recast-pledge/

American Media is the conglomerate company that owns Powder, Surfer, Snowboarder and Bike magazines, all of which are being shut down at a time when outdoor recreation is at an all time high (good luck buying a new bike, snowmobile, or skis this year).

The internet killed print and shrinking advertising budgets related to COVID uncertainty didn't help.

I quit e-MTBR
    It's been a rough 12 months for mtb journalism, with the demise of Dirt Rag and Bike plus Richard Cunningham's departure from Pinkbike. It feels like we've entered a dumber, blander era.

To me, Bike was always kind of a mixed bag, but there's no denying they've had lots of talented people over the years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    It feels like we've entered a dumber, blander era.
    Post/handle....I hate to be the crotchety old man but I think that statement can be applied much, much more broadly than mtb journalism.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    It's been a rough 12 months for mtb journalism, with the demise of Dirt Rag and Bike plus Richard Cunningham's departure from Pinkbike. It feels like we've entered a dumber, blander era.

To me, Bike was always kind of a mixed bag, but there's no denying they've had lots of talented people over the years.
    Well... not to drive this thread off a cliff, but there are reasons besides the internet that are driving these companies to ruins. The first being when they started doing paid reviews. Every review I have read in the past 5+ years has been beyond glowing. There is very little honesty when it comes to bike reviews anymore. If someone PAYS you to ride their high end bike, of course you're going to give a glowing review. So reviews are essentially worthless at this point for anyone honestly trying to compare bikes.

Outside of that, most of the content is completely unrelatable. Yes, i'ts fun to look at pictures and read articles of Red Bull Rampage. Most people don't ride like that though and people paying for a magazine want at least some content that they can relate too. People still ride rigid single speeds, people still race XC, people play around on DIY trials courses in their backyard. You won't find any of those in the current magazines though, it's all pictures of guys skidding through corners in Washington state. It gets old.

I may sound old saying this, but the hayday of magazines was back when you could go buy the newest issue and see some cool DIY shit. You could see guys who were like you having fun and trying new things. A lot of skate and bmx magazines died when they dropped the DIY elements of their articles and went to almost all big XGames content. The same is now happening for MTB magazines.

mtbr member

RIP Powder too

I believe Bike and Powder have the same parent company.

Come August we couldn't wait for the first issue of Powder to arrive in the mail. That meant our favorite season was about to arrive. Then in Spring, it was Bike, Dirt Rag, etc.

Anyone read Mountain Flyer? That is a class mountain bike magazine out of Vermont that is published four times a year. Lots of words. I like words. Pictures bore me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    For me it was about 10 years ago, and I only bought it because I was panicking before a flight (forgot my Kindle). Sadly the internet has killed off most magazines it seems like. You can just fit so much more information on a web page or blog.
    Long time photographer here. There is still nothing like looking at a 2 page spread( of bikes of course) of a great photo.The work required to get those great shots. Hauling gear, pedaling with all that stuff, multiple takes, waiting for great light, weather delays etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Same. It's been at least a decade for me.
    Since you sat on the commode and read a bike rag?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

PoDaddy
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Long time photographer here. There is still nothing like looking at a 2 page spread( of bikes of course) of a great photo.The work required to get those great shots. Hauling gear, pedaling with all that stuff, multiple takes, waiting for great light, weather delays etc.
    This. And as far as I remember (also guilty of not having bought a mag in five years at least) Bike had some of the most epic photographs.

I used to pour over every mtb mag Barnes and Noble stocked in the 2000's (I'm 29).

I also thought the articles in BIKE were top notch. I'm a sucker for words also
    Actual daddy. No actual fatstax.

No known cure
    I've been a subscriber ever since volume 1 issue 1. I couldn't believe there was a bike mag that took you places like Surfer Mag did. BIKE launched numerous road trips including a solo trip to Iceland after an article on the trails there. It was still primitive then unlike now.

Then the bike tests stopped being from small builders and were all Giantrekspecializedcannondale that I passed over.

Then the last few issues were full of political BS that I get everywhere I turn. When I open the magazine I want to get away. The same thing happened with Outside Mag so I cancelled my subscription. I was going to cancel BIKE too after the last issue. I guess I'll be getting a refund in the mail.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Lol. Nice one.

If I want a product review I'm much more likely to look for an online article and/or YouTube review, both of which I can view while in the bathroom. In a pinch I can't wipe my ass with my phone quite as well as with a crumpled magazine page though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Lol. Nice one.

If I want a product review I'm much more likely to look for an online article and/or YouTube review, both of which I can view while in the bathroom. In a pinch I can't wipe my ass with my phone quite as well as with a crumpled magazine page though.
    I’m in the same bowl as you. Haven’t owned any of the mtb mags for a decade or more. I had subscriptions to Bike, MTB Action, Dirt Rag and one other that slips my mind. Quit them all, but continued reading them on occasion in book stores or grocery stores. Even that passing entertainment died off several years ago.

I sure have some fond memories of spending way too much quality time taking a dump back in the day.

R.I.P. Bike

banned
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyFatStax View Post
    This. And as far as I remember (also guilty of not having bought a mag in five years at least) Bike had some of the most epic photographs.

I used to pore over every mtb mag Barnes and Noble stocked in the 2000's (I'm 29).

I also thought the articles in BIKE were top notch. I'm a sucker for words also
    fify

Lol
    Finch is at it again.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Wow. Bike and Dirt Rag were my two favs. DR got a little weird and Bike lost its edge but I would pick them up occasionally. Back in the day I would drool over the trips, the bikes, and the “tude”. Couldn’t wait for the new issues to arrive. Shawn Palmer, Missy, Tinker, The Captain, Farmer John....... Is it me or did the the personalities back in the day helped drive subscriptions? Also, the high school drama that is prevalent in our sport now was nonexistent. It was not cool to be an ass. God I sound old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    What a bummer. I always look forward to their Bible of Bike Tests videos. I read that they were supposed to begin production of the their 2021 bike tests in Nevada when they were shut down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    What a bummer. I always look forward to their Bible of Bike Tests videos.
    Same here. Shame they can't transition to a more modern* medium than a printed mag and continue with them.

*couldn't think of a better word, don't hate me I'm old(ish) and still love magazines and actually do subscribe to one (non-MTB related).

banned
    Aug 2018
    Lol
    Finch is at it again.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsezr0qiFIc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    There's some insight here; https://www.wildsnow.com/28356/ski-t...recast-pledge/

American Media is the conglomerate company that owns Powder, Surfer, Snowboarder and Bike magazines, all of which are being shut down at a time when outdoor recreation is at an all time high (good luck buying a new bike, snowmobile, or skis this year).

The internet killed print and shrinking advertising budgets related to COVID uncertainty didn't help.
    I think they'd acquired at least some of them fairly recently? This smacks of corporate bean counting-profit over passion. I guess that's the way it goes but it's a damned shame.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well... not to drive this thread off a cliff, but there are reasons besides the internet that are driving these companies to ruins. The first being when they started doing paid reviews. Every review I have read in the past 5+ years has been beyond glowing. There is very little honesty when it comes to bike reviews anymore. If someone PAYS you to ride their high end bike, of course you're going to give a glowing review. So reviews are essentially worthless at this point for anyone honestly trying to compare bikes.
    What evidence do you have of this? If it’s just your opinion, say so. I can tell you unequivocally that you are wrong.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    I still read hand help magazines. Subscribe a as many as I can find, including those from the U.K. (I'm in the U.S.). In fact, I still have a subscription to BIKE that hasn't expired. Call me old school.

BIKE, Mountain Flyer, and Mountain Biking UK are my favorites.

Regarding BIKE... just a week or so ago I recommended to a friend they try BIKE when they ask what magazine to get. I called them yesterday to say... forget that recommendation, as I just read they went out of print (here on MTBR). They said they literally had just subscribed online Monday. I was, huh? So this morning I went to the BIKE site. Seems it's still possible to subscribe.

Subscribe to BIKE

I guess someone needs to shut down that page.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    What evidence do you have of this? If it’s just your opinion, say so. I can tell you unequivocally that you are wrong.
    It's not an opinion. It's a known fact that big mtb magazines and websites do paid reviews. I am not saying that ALL publications do it, but most do and it has affected how serious people take them.

mtbr member
    I don't know if this is actually what he meant, but the bikes being reviewed are made by the main advertisers in the magazine, which could be a conflict of interest. Though to be fair to Bike (I subscribed and thought it was a good not great mag, as stated above), while their reviews weren't necessarily hard hitting, I thought they were honest.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Wow. Bike and Dirt Rag were my two favs. DR got a little weird and Bike lost its edge but I would pick them up occasionally. Back in the day I would drool over the trips, the bikes, and the “tude”. Couldn’t wait for the new issues to arrive. Shawn Palmer, Missy, Tinker, The Captain, Farmer John....... Is it me or did the the personalities back in the day helped drive subscriptions? Also, the high school drama that is prevalent in our sport now was nonexistent. It was not cool to be an ass. God I sound old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell View Post
    I don't know if this is actually what he meant, but the bikes being reviewed are made by the main advertisers in the magazine, which could be a conflict of interest. Though to be fair to Bike (I subscribed and thought it was a good not great mag, as stated above), while their reviews weren't necessarily hard hitting, I thought they were honest.
    No, I meant what I meant. Most big publications these days tell bike manufacturers "you give us X amount of dollars and send us a bike and we will review it". No one in the industry is shy about the fact that this is how it works now. I am not sure why people are acting like it doesn't happen?

mtbr member
    No, I meant what I meant. Most big publications these days tell bike manufacturers "you give us X amount of dollars and send us a bike and we will review it". No one in the industry is shy about the fact that this is how it works now. I am not sure why people are acting like it doesn't happen?
    I honestly have no idea -- at a minimum there is a conflict of interest, even due to advertising dollars. If they're directly paying for reviews then it's clear cut that it isn't an unbiased review.

My other point with Bike in particular is that the reviews were somewhat glib but also somewhat accurate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

Old Coot, too. DR was always a bit odd, but that was it's charm. Back then, this was how we got our biking news and gear reviews!
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Again, as someone who’s worked in the industry, you are wrong. Period. If you have actual proof — aside from your assertion that it’s “well-known” — please post it.

mtbr member
    Again, as someone who’s worked in the industry, you are wrong. Period. If you have actual proof — aside from your assertion that it’s “well-known” — please post it.
    Feel free to post up your credentials and change my mind. I am not claiming to be an industry insider, I am telling you what I have heard smaller boutique brands talk about on podcasts and YouTube channels. There are also review articles that put disclaimers in their write ups that they were paid and/or given a free bike out of the deal.

Feel free to change my mind.

Up In Smoke
    No one works for free

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Feel free to post up your credentials and change my mind. I am not claiming to be an industry insider, I am telling you what I have heard smaller boutique brands talk about on podcasts and YouTube channels. There are also review articles that put disclaimers in their write ups that they were paid and/or given a free bike out of the deal.

Feel free to change my mind.
    LOL. Really? So, you make a false assertion multiple times, get called on it and you invite me to change your mind? No thank you. I don’t really care what you think.

What you stated above as fact — and you’re now backpedaling on as hearsay — is completely untrue.

Providing a bike for review is, of course, standard practice. Bikes are returned at the end of testing. This is not “payment.”

Sorry for the thread derail. Sorry to see Bike’s demise.

mtbr member
    LOL. Really? So, you make a false assertion multiple times, get called on it and you invite me to change your mind? No thank you. I don’t really care what you think.

What you stated above as fact — and you’re now backpedaling on as hearsay — is completely untrue.

Providing a bike for review is, of course, standard practice. Bikes are returned at the end of testing. This is not “payment.”

Sorry for the thread derail. Sorry to see Bike’s demise.
    Feel free to point out where I backpedaled. If small boutique brands talk about not paying for reviews on podcasts, and I have read with my own 2 eyes reviewers talking about getting paid for them then that's what I am going to believe.

Again, feel free to post your credentials. If you're really that offended by such a notion that large publications charge a fee for doing bike reviews, then use your industry standing to set the record straight.

I am willing to admit when I am wrong. So far you've said nothing of substance that disputes what I have read and/or heard from the mouths of people who I know for a fact are in the industry (and not just saying they are on an internet forum).

mtbr member
    Have a watch of this video from a career bike reviewer and YouTuber. Start around 2:30 mark where he talks about his "service fee"... aka he's charging companies to review their bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0DiY7Vs7Yk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You seem very anxious to view my “credentials,” which I have zero inclination to provide to a bunch of strangers. Take that as you will.

Anyone with any reading comprehension can see you backpedaling the further down the thread you go. That’s likely because you have no direct personal knowledge and are simply regurgitating things you’ve read or watched on the Internet.

And, seriously, the best example you can provide is from an electric bike channel? And you’re conflating that with legitimate journalism?

Anyway, I’ve used my “arguing with uninformed strangers” credits for the month. Carry on with whatever you believe and, again, sorry for the loss of Bike.

mtbr member
    You seem very anxious to view my “credentials,” which I have zero inclination to provide to a bunch of strangers. Take that as you will.

Anyone with any reading comprehension can see you backpedaling the further down the thread you go. That’s likely because you have no direct personal knowledge and are simply regurgitating things you’ve read or watched on the Internet.

And, seriously, the best example you can provide is from an electric bike channel? And you’re conflating that with legitimate journalism?

Anyway, I’ve used my “arguing with uninformed strangers” credits for the month. Carry on with whatever you believe and, again, sorry for the loss of Bike.
    1. You won't list credentials because you don't have any.
    2. I didn't backpedal, I provided at least one source (unlike you).
    3. Yes I believe what I read on the internet because that's literally where 99% of bike reviews take place now.
    4. Electric bikes are still bikes and often times get reviewed in the same way as normal bikes.

Anything else?

Thicc Member
    I've never understood that practice, but I do eat plenty of fiber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sadly, BIKE started down the same e-bike rabbit hole as the others did, so I stopped reading it.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Sadly, BIKE started down the same e-bike rabbit hole as the others did, so I stopped reading it.
    Butcher Paper was my favorite. I love stuff like that.

But yeah, the industry kinda ran into e-mtbs, and that got me checked out.

I don’t read bike reviews: pretty sure MTBR’s and Pinkbike’s are also telling their sponsors how awesome their bikes are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It was a tough day. I lost Bike Mag and Powder Mag. I always enjoyed the travel articles and product showcases.

mtbr member
    it is like any review on items nowadays. I buy something with fantastic reviews and when you get the item they are offering you free shit to give them a 5 star review no matter the quality of the item. Worst was a FPV camera for my plane(not a drone damnit). The one I received was used and damaged. They sent me two to replace the one if I gave them a 5 star review.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    It was a tough day. I lost Bike Mag and Powder Mag. I always enjoyed the travel articles and product showcases.
    Oh man, I loved Powder mag for the stoke it would give me sitting in the cabin in front of the fireplace while it silently snowed outside, anticipating tomorrow's powder day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I haven't bought a magazine since the '90's. But in the '90's I had every issue of MBA and Bicycling and took out the nice shots to glue to my wall! I think I still have a pic of that cheesy wall somewhere. I had massive phat stacks of zines.

Also people who are anti-ebike are doo doo heads, just thought I would throw that out there.

(slight return)
    No more pics of shredding loam in BC. But good news, they are going to make up for it by giving you a magazine with articles like "Your Grooming Routine Could Use Some Seaweed."

https://www.mensjournal.com/tag/grooming/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I liked Bike for awhile, but really will miss Dirt Rag more. But mostly I am going to miss Surfer, which was under the same umbrella as Bike.

Even though I have not surfed in years, living in the midwest, those pictures always inspired me like no other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I liked Bike at times, but will really miss Dirt Rag more.

But mostly I am going to miss Surfer, which was under the same umbrella as Bike. Even though I have not surfed in years, living back in the midwest, those pictures always inspired me like no other.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Carve It Up View Post
    I liked Bike at times, but will really miss Dirt Rag more.

But mostly I am going to miss Surfer, which was under the same umbrella as Bike. Even though I have not surfed in years, living back in the midwest, those pictures always inspired me like no other.
    I never got into dirtrag, but I did like Bike mag.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I still love the visually-engaging Mountain Bike UK. Brits has a way with tall format print, where every square inch is information packed, with photos.

Where did RC go, after he left Pinkbike?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    No more pics of shredding loam in BC. But good news, they are going to make up for it by giving you a magazine with articles like "Your Grooming Routine Could Use Some Seaweed."

https://www.mensjournal.com/tag/grooming/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Do I have an option for something other than Men's Journal? I don't have the correct reproductive organs to read that one.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    BIKE launched numerous road trips including a solo trip to Iceland after an article on the trails there.
    "Have you driven a Fjord lately?" That's the title of that article, and that was well over over a decade ago. That's how good their journalism was.

Plus, I was anecdotally in a story or three throughout the years, and a couple of photos.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Do I have an option for something other than Men's Journal? I don't have the correct reproductive organs to read that one.
    Everyone wants a sub to Men's Urinal, don't they??

On a serious note, that is a pathetic consolation prize.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Why are we wishing this rag to “rest in peace”? I wish it a miserable afterlife for all the money it robbed from me over the years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Everyone wants a sub to Men's Urinal, don't they??

On a serious note, that is a pathetic consolation prize.
    You don't want 6 pack abs in 4 easy moves?
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    You don't want 6 pack abs in 4 easy moves?
    Acme instant six pack pills...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Don't fret! I traveled to an alternate dimension where it's still being published, and I came back with every bike review for the next 5 years:

Quote Originally Posted by BIKE
    [Insert bike name here] climbs and pedals like a bike with 20mm less travel, and descends like a bike with 20mm more travel!
    Knorth - 2017 Jamis DragonSlayer
    Tinkerbell - 1995 Trek 930

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    "Have you driven a Fjord lately?" That's the title of that article, and that was well over over a decade ago. That's how good their journalism was.

Plus, I was anecdotally in a story or three throughout the years, and a couple of photos.
    I wrote a letter to them thanking them for the inspiration for that solo backcountry bike trip to Iceland and it was published. I also had a full page photo published in 2000. My girlfriend was paid $150 for that.

I just remembered that the Iceland issue was in 2006. I couldn't find the time to get there until 2013 but it was still wild and raw, before all the guiding services, and before the tourist influx from GOT and Vikings. I was there again last December and Reykjavik was packed. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for that issue, and I wouldn't have back either and never met my fiance.

From the first trip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP bike mag.-157.jpg  

RIP bike mag.-217.jpg  

RIP bike mag.-152.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales