Right foot or Left foot forward when in attack position- Mtbr.com

Poll: Right foot of Left foot forward when standing on pedals in attack position

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Right foot or Left foot forward when in attack position

I was just wondering whether whether you favour your left foot, or right foot forward when standing up on the pedals in attack position.

Or are you totally fine with either foot forward and don't really care which foot is forward at any point of time.

mtbr member
    Generally mine is the left foot forward and more pressure is put on my right foot. On occasion it will be the right foot forward, but it feels a bit more awkward. (I am right handed)

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

psycho cyclo addict
    I'm right handed but snowboard and skateboard goofy and typically prefer L forward on the pedals for attaccckkkk if feasible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Left foot forward

Grew up skating and surfing regular foot so left forward feels more natural to me.

mtbr member
    Grew up skating goofy so right foot forward works for me.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    Never thought about it, but im right handed and i lead with my right foot. Sometimes though, I lock out my left leg and have the left pedal in the down position while my right knee is bent with the pedal in the up position. But i suppose that is more for coasting, not in an aggressive "attack" position.

It's about showing up.
    Left, Just like on a skateboard, snowboard, surfboard.

mtbr member
    On the bike I seem to naturally lead with my right but I do alternate to keep from getting tired out sooner. On a skateboard I lead with the left, push with the right. I'm right-handed so that makes sense to me.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I do both, but while at rays mtb park figured out I prefer the left foot. when I wasnt thinking about it, I always went at a ramp left foot forward. also, Im right handed, but ride a skate board goofy foot.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm a goofy foot (right foot forward) when it comes to skateboarding, snowboarding, surfing, but it feels more natural for me to have my left foot forward when in attack mode on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown
    I'm right handed but snowboard and skateboard goofy and typically prefer L forward on the pedals for attaccckkkk if feasible.
    I'm the same way..have always been right handed, ride goofy on boards...but lefty first on bikes.

However the last few rides I've been forcing myself into going right foot forward...after just a few rides I've found that I already default to right foot forward now. We'll see how that plays out when downhill season starts...a different footing has always thrown jumping balance out of whack for me.

mtbr member
    FYI-

Whichever foot you prefer forward is the side you want grind your rails on.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown
    Wouldn't goofy be right foot forward?

Regular foot skating, surfing, and snowboarding so feel most comfortable with my left foot forward...though I've learned to alternate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

Regular foot skating, surfing, and snowboarding so feel most comfortable with my left foot forward...though I've learned to alternate.

actually your right. been a while since I been on a board. but yeah, right foot forward is goofy foot, and thats the way I did it. kicking with my left foot.

mtbr member
    Many here are to young to remember slalom water skiing .... and left forward for me doing either.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

Yes... right foot forward. I can go L first, but I prefer the right foot on boards though I prefer L pedal first on bicycles.

mtbr member
    Left foot foward. Grind in my left, spin to my right.
    Pimped out kona unit for sale, xtr race face fox

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I get on Left, attack position with Left forward, and get off Left. Am right handed, but kick a ball with my left. I do get on and off on the right from time to time but there is some sort of wacky muscle memory going on in my head, and it always feels awkward to me. Does anyone else know what I mean?..

Pro Crastinator
    i "attack" with either foot forward and constantly switch on purpose, but if i'm about to be jumping, it's my right foot forward...

29ers Forever
    Is it Right Foot left handed and Left foot right handed? I try to use my left foot (I am left handed), but when I concentrate on riding, my right comes forward.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

Ride Instigator
    Like a bonehead I had my right foot in the DOWN position while going over a waterbar on a downhill section Saturday...and the ground came up and attacked ME! Owww, my ribs hurt from that slam to the ground!!

It's about showing up.
    Now that I think about it, for me it is just light standing in the batters box.
    I don't rattle.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Left is my "chocolate"(comfort) foot. Same with Skateboard....I'm also righty.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member

Re: Right foot or Left foot forward when in attack position

Ride like you skate. Even the rookie girls know which way they like to stand a skateboard

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm right foot forward and left handed. Never did a skateboard much other than fooling around with one with the kids when they were little, but if I remember correctly, same right foot forward there too.
    Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    Kona Jake the Snake
    '03 Yz250
    '05 Ducati 749

danz261
    I'm right handed, but prefer right foot forward. Left forward doesn't bother me but I feel more comfortable with the right forward. I skate/surf with right forward also (Goofy Foot) like some above. Cheers!

Just Ride.
    I can do both but I am much more comfortable with left foot forward. I am right handed.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    If your right handed generally it's left foot forward. And if your left handed generally it's right foot forward. If your ambidextrous well then your just goofy footed and either way would be comfortable. Lucky bastards!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

9 lives
    My left foot is dominant. I switch it up to release the pressure or change it up with cornering depending if it's a left or right turn. When cornering, outside leg is to the back.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

TOP TIER LURKER
    I have my right foot forward to start but when I get sick of that position, I can comfortably change to having my left foot forward. Being born a natural "lefty" has taught me to be a natural "Ambi", too.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Very interesting question. I'm right hand/leg dominant, but lead with my left foot. I've never thought about why, but it just feels more comfortable and balanced.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm Left foot forward on a bike and right foot forward on a wakeboard, can't work out why.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Unless I'm in a corner, I tend to be left foot forward. This holds true on a dirt bike too sometimes, even though I sometimes have to adjust my foot to reach the brake.

mtbr member
    As others have posted, I'm right handed but preferred to stand goofy while surfing and skateboarding. While riding today, I realized I prefer the right forward. Thinking back to my childhood and coaster brakes, I always broke with the right foot.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Left foot forward biking. Right handed. Right foot forward for everything else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyamBoi View Post
    I get on Left, attack position with Left forward, and get off Left. Am right handed, but kick a ball with my left. I do get on and off on the right from time to time but there is some sort of wacky muscle memory going on in my head, and it always feels awkward to me. Does anyone else know what I mean?..
    I ride left foot forward, snowboard right foot forward. Kick lefty , bat lefty, golf righty, right handed.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I'm left handed, skate left foot forward but right foot forward while attacking terrain feels much better. Tight right handed switchbacks work much better with left foot forward however vice versa on tight left turns. Try it!
    2017 SPOT Brand MAYHEM (incoming) 2016 Spot rollik557, 2016 SPOT Brand Zephyr Adventure Bike 55c, Heller 27.7+

mtbr member
    Left foot forward for Stormtroopers, right foot forward when attacking Klingons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member
    Either really, get comfortable riding both ways so you dont feel off guard when you come up on something at speed. I used to ride right foot forward when I rode 20". I spun left only and did certain things certain ways to be comfortable on the bike. I forced myself to learn the other way and eveything changed. I no longer think about how my feet are, I just hink about whats coming at me.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Either way, but prefer left. For Trials like moves, left foot forward allows a wider and better balanced platform between the pedal and the chainring or bash on the opposite side. For example, going over a large log, you can get the front wheel up, then hop a few times to inch your way over, left pedal and chainring on the log. Try it!

mtbr member
    Left foot naturally forward for me, for neutral descending. Of course, which ever direction a corner is, that foot goes UP, but for descending or any technical aspects, left foot forward, and for a very specific reason.

I am a righty. When it comes to jump a log or rock, which will require a punch of power to clear (not to lift the front wheel, but to oomph the bike over) I want my rigth foot to be the one that is up and forward. Just before hitting the log for example, I stomp the left pedal to lighten the front end and get it over. This then puts my right foot at least at 12 o clock, (ideally 2-3 o'clock) I now have my dominant foot ready to press down and I can use my dominant side to control my balance better. If my chainring has dug into the log, I have set myself up for good balance, weight transfer, power, and leg dominanace ready to use that embedded ring to push me over the log.

CAMBr Trail Crew

Right foot or Left foot forward when in attack position

In my attack position I'm right foot forward. I'm right-handed, skate and snowboard regular (left forward). When I was younger, I used to skate goofy-footed, but had to switch footing when I started learning to ollie. I figured it would be easier to "re-learn" how to skate "regular" than to learn to do tricks "goofy".

I've made attempts to "re-learn" my attack position and ride left forward, but some things you just can't change- and at this point there's really no need to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Read the whole thread but still unable to figure out if the "master leg" should be forward in attack position. Can anyone advise? My master leg is right but I position my left leg forward in attack position, including drop, jump and hop. However, I realized my left foot get tired easily and it affects my riding. Should I re-learn to position my master leg (right) forward?

mtbr member
    do whatever comes natural. just like writing with your left or right hand, skateboarding, etc.

however, I think it would be worthwhile to teach yourself to be ambidextrous. I find that, riding right-foot-forward, I can steer around corners that bend to the left (and ride a quarter pipe the same way) with much more confidence than a right bend. of course, only steering left is not an option in the real world, so switching it up and gaining confidence both ways is helpful.

mtbr member
    Thanks Mack_turtle. Challenging to position my right foot forward especially in big drop. My muscle memory and coordination just went crazy!

mtbr member
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 11-27-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    If your right handed generally it's left foot forward. And if your left handed generally it's right foot forward. If your ambidextrous well then your just goofy footed and either way would be comfortable. Lucky bastards!
    Best answer, thanks for sharing the wealth.

Ya bunch a goofy footed bastards.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Rollin' a fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Same here.

Usually but not always the dominant foot is the opposite of the dominant hand.

mtbr member
    Left foot forward is natural for me (and I'm right handed) but what I do these days is when I'm cornering, or entering a corner, I the opposite foot forward of the direction I'm turning. I'll then sometimes drop my outside (back foot). It's very natural to do but you have to train yourself a bit in the beginning. I don't even think about it now.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Reading all the comments, my understandings are:

(1) Attack Position - Besides the lucky ones who can position either left or right leg forward at will, the lesser mortals like myself should position left leg forward since I am right handed and "right-legged".

(2) Bunny Hop & Jump - the dominant leg should be at the rear to 'scope' the bike up. That means my left leg should be forward while my right leg (dominant leg) should be at the rear to execute bunny hop or jump.

(3) High Speed Cornering - Forward right leg when turn left at high speed and forward left leg when turn right at high speed. (For normal cornering, we usually position right leg at 6pm when turn Left and vice-versa when turn Right")

The above 3 points are preferred legs position for better riding. Hope I got it right.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    There's no exact science to this, you just ride in whichever manner feels the most comfortable for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9888 View Post
    Reading all the comments, my understandings are:

(1) Attack Position - Besides the lucky ones who can position either left or right leg forward at will, the lesser mortals like myself should position left leg forward since I am right handed and "right-legged".

(2) Bunny Hop & Jump - the dominant leg should be at the rear to 'scope' the bike up. That means my left leg should be forward while my right leg (dominant leg) should be at the rear to execute bunny hop or jump.

(3) High Speed Cornering - Forward right leg when turn left at high speed and forward left leg when turn right at high speed. (For normal cornering, we usually position right leg at 6pm when turn Left and vice-versa when turn Right")

The above 3 points are preferred legs position for better riding. Hope I got it right.
    FWIW I'm right handed and ride RF forward normally. I can hop either foot forward but its more natural RF forward. Just do what feels right. IF your right handed but feel good with your left foot forward that's fine. Being able to ride either way is something you kind of learn as you get better at riding.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Life is better if you can ride comfortably with either foot forward. Trials moves you can stand on a pedal on an obstacle. Much better platform with left foot forward and chainring on the right. With right foot forward that is a really narrow off balance platform.

Been discussed many times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Life is better if you can ride comfortably with either foot forward. Trials moves you can stand on a pedal on an obstacle. Much better platform with left foot forward and chainring on the right. With right foot forward that is a really narrow off balance platform.

Been discussed many times.
    That's a good point.

Realized Danny MacAskill left foot forward

Members who have read this thread: 0