Return to LBS or have repaired?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Return to LBS or have repaired?

I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi barrier MTB shoe covers the other day. First ride out, only about 5 miles in the snow and the little flap of cheap synthetic leather on the bottom is torn halfway through on one and partly through on the other.
    These are about the most expensive shoe covers I've seen, and would expect them to last more than one ride. They are XX large, so they were not stretched too tight.
    I took them to the shoe shop, and he quoted me $15 to repair and reinforce the area. Should I take them back and look for something else, or have them repaired?
    If it were Wal-Mart or some place like that I wouldn't hesitate to return them, but for some reason I feel a little hesitant to return them to the LBS(of which I don't really care for and have no relationship with).
    I'd have $70 into these shoe covers, heck I could get a decent pair of water proof hiking boots to ride in and would work better(since I found out clipless shoes are useless in the snow anyway)
    Should I feel guilty about returning these?

Underskilled
    I would return them as not fit for purpose, but that is just me.

I am this rare breed of person that expects an expensive product to work better than a cheap one.

Unfortunately it is a common marketing trick to make a product more expensive to imply quality.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Return 'em.

mtbr member
    I would return em' you dont seem like a DB, so they are not gonna mind. they probably want you to be happy w/ the product.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    + return

If you did not trash them and it is a product default, then why r u paying for expensive non working stuff

mtbr member
    Return them. The shop will simply give them back to their supplier, so it doesn't cost your LBS anything. If enough get returned, or complained about, the manufacturer may look in to redesigning them to solve the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    PI stands behind any and all products and will make sure that QBP and your local shop are taken care of. Send'm back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for all of the replies, I'm returning them Monday.

mtbr member

Good job! Exactly....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob12676
    Return them. The shop will simply give them back to their supplier, so it doesn't cost your LBS anything. If enough get returned, or complained about, the manufacturer may look in to redesigning them to solve the issue.
    A high quality company like PI monitors returns.....analyzes issues and continually upgrades / redesign their products to perform better....they want happy customers...your actually doing them a favor when you return a truly defective product.....the alternative is you don't say anything and most likely harbor a negative opinion of PI product and possibly never buy another item....and then tell 10 friends who tell 10 friends....better to return it.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Covers suck (unless you're a roadie). Just buy a pair of Lake winter boots and be done with it.

+ one on returning. Pearl does stand behind their product, so your LBS won't be left holding the bag.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Agree covers always tear often and early

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Took them back for a refund, no questions asked. Just got the usual "we've not seen that before with these".

Members who have read this thread: 0