Replacement Pads for Giro Gila (circa 2000)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Replacement Pads for Giro Gila (circa 2000)

Howdy.

I have a L/XL Giro Gila from around 2000 that is in great condition, but the inside padding is deteriorating and becoming unglued. I contacted Giro and they do not have replacement pads for the Gila since they stopped producing it some time ago. They suggested that I visit webersports.com to try and find a replacement kit. They don't have my helmet listed.

Does anyone know a way to repair/replace the inside padding for this particular helmet?

Much thanks.

Jul 2008
    I have the same problem. My helmet is in great shape, but the padding is pretty much gone. I have no idea where to get replacements. Do any of you know?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Same here (also Gila).

I found this page which shows pics of the replacement kits and might help finding an adequate alternative:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=227
    The "Havoc" pads might fit for example, but I will probably walk to a local dealer and have a look what fits best.
    Interesting is that they still have the visor for the Gila in stock.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You're wearing an 8 year old helmet?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Some would say you can buy pads for any helmet and mix/match until you're content.

I would say that Al is right, helmets have a limited life expectancy and it has past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Some would say you can buy pads for any helmet and mix/match until you're content.

I would say that Al is right, helmets have a limited life expectancy and it has past.

+1. Ever notice how a styrofoam cooler gets all brittle and weak after several years? Just because your helmet doesn't show any damage doesn't mean that it will still protect your head adequately. I've seen older helmets that have been crashed on. I sure as heck wouldn't trust my melon to an 8-9 year old helmet. Heat, sweat, UV, and the sands of time will all break down the foam that you trust your life to. $100 or less every 3-5 years is a lot cheaper than having to re-learn how to walk, talk, and feed yourself again.

OK, lecture over. Most Giro dealers (I know we do) have a big box o' Giro parts (buckles, pads, visors, RocLocs, etc.) that we can dig through to try to find what you need, but they're likely to give you the same message you've gotten a couple times on this thread.

-Eric

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Al
    You're wearing an 8 year old helmet?
    There is nothing wrong with wearing an eight year old helmet as long as it has never had a serious smack. Once it has had a serious smack then it would be advisable to replace it. Hey some ride better than others and can go eight years without incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Aug 2008

Pads Available from Bell

Bell bought out Giro. Bell will ship new pads for free. (800) 456-2355

Aug 2008

Info on when to replace Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    +1. Ever notice how a styrofoam cooler gets all brittle and weak after several years? Just because your helmet doesn't show any damage doesn't mean that it will still protect your head adequately. I've seen older helmets that have been crashed on. I sure as heck wouldn't trust my melon to an 8-9 year old helmet. Heat, sweat, UV, and the sands of time will all break down the foam that you trust your life to. $100 or less every 3-5 years is a lot cheaper than having to re-learn how to walk, talk, and feed yourself again.

OK, lecture over. Most Giro dealers (I know we do) have a big box o' Giro parts (buckles, pads, visors, RocLocs, etc.) that we can dig through to try to find what you need, but they're likely to give you the same message you've gotten a couple times on this thread.

-Eric
    I disagree I think it all depends on how you store it. I have a GIRO that is circa 2000' and it has absolutely no foam that is brittle to the touch. I store it well out of the sunlight in a cool cabinet. But it also hasn’t been used more than a couple times a month in the last four years. I can see a helmet getting brittle if it sees alot of daylight via storage and use. But the life expectancy depends on the frequency and duration of the UV light it receives. I did a ride on Saturday and as I took a lunch break I was checking that helmet out due to it being so old. And it was like brand new and far from being shelved.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timothynyc
    Bell bought out Giro. Bell will ship new pads for free. (800) 456-2355
    I recently contacted bell/giro about replacement pads for my gila (bought ~07 NOS, sticker inside says 2003).
    They didn't have pads for the gila's, the guy questioned me, "are you sure you want to be wearing a helmet that old"? I said srsly?, it was new old stock, blah,blah, are you just trying to get me to buy a new helmet?... No answer to that, but they are supposedly sending some that might fit from another model (havoc?). Haven't rec'd 'em yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    Ever notice how a styrofoam cooler gets all brittle and weak after several years? Just because your helmet doesn't show any damage doesn't mean that it will still protect your head adequately. I've seen older helmets that have been crashed on.
    How old? In direct comparison with newer helmets?

Heat, sweat, UV, and the sands of time will all break down the foam that you trust your life to.
    Heat and UV ok, but define "the sands of time"

I do not deny the fact that plastics are undergoing deterioration, however this is dependent on certain factors, mostly sunlight (UV) and temperature variation, but the least reason is passing time itself. And in my - also professional - experience, plastics deterioration is usually clearly visible (change in colour and sometimes embrittled surface).
    And black coloration - as used for most helmets inner styrofoam shell - stabilizes plastics against UV. Also the styrofoam - which has to absorb the shock in case of an impact - is covered by an outer shell an thus not directly exposed to sunlight.
    The abovementioned styrofoam coolers are usually light-colored and as written by Eric they really do look deteriorated if they are.

Some more thoughts about it:
    - Industrial safety helmets (I wear one every week) have to show the production date and can be used a certain time span from this date according to regulations, only thermoplastic ones (made of polyethylene which is definitely UV-sensitive) have to be replaced earlier.
    - Why does my bicycle helmet not show a production or "replace after" date?
    - Why does Giro still offer the visor for such an old model?
    - In http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/downl...tilanguage.pdf
    you can read the user manual for bell helmets. They wrote everything in it but the necessity to replace the helmet after a certain time span.

My helmet (as well as my bicycle) has barely been used for 4-5 years (shame on me, I know), stored inside the cupboard in my apartment - no sun, no rain, room temperature. It's really in good condition apart from a few minor scratches and the pads falling apart after a few machine washes. So why not further use it.

On the net I only found vague recommendations for helmet replacement by several organisations, but never backed with reliable sources like (scientific) test results.
    So I'm simply not convinced and after careful consideration I still trust in my helmet.

It's easy to tell people not to make any compromises when dealing with safety issues. But if the next one says "replace your helmet every second year", who can prove this wrong? In doubt just buy a new one?

And what's written in http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm (thanks to timothynyc) largely confirms my thoughts.

Markus

_
    _
    _
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-22-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    I recently contacted bell/giro about replacement pads for my gila (bought ~07 NOS, sticker inside says 2003).
    They didn't have pads for the gila's, the guy questioned me, "are you sure you want to be wearing a helmet that old"? I said srsly?, it was new old stock, blah,blah, are you just trying to get me to buy a new helmet?... No answer to that, but they are supposedly sending some that might fit from another model (havoc?). Haven't rec'd 'em yet.
    Ha-ha yep of course the manufactures are going to suggest replacing it after a certain time frame, thatís more money in their pockets. I still stand as I said earlier that it is all in the way you store it and how often it is used. Keep it in a cool dry place without any UV rays getting to it. Obviously if it is used on a weekly basis it is getting more UV light and sweat both of which make it deteriate faster. Like I said I have a GIRO from 2000' that is kept in a cool dry cabinet out of UV light that hasnít been used regularly and it is still in pristine condition without any foam deteriation. Just monitor how often it is getting UV light and where it is stored and keep an eye on the foam for deteriation to determine when to replace it. Obviously it should be replaced after a good smack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Helmet Deterioration

I came here looking for pads for my old Giro and can't believe I forgot about foam deterioration. I only started riding bikes again to train for motorcycle racing. When we race, the track tech inspection checks your bike and gear to make sure they are safe and legal. They check the manufacture date of your helmet and if it is 3 years old they start giving you crap. If it is 5 years old or older they will not let you race. Period. And they don't sell helmets.

Members who have read this thread: 0