Removing brake bosses: void frame warranty?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Removing brake bosses: void frame warranty?

I just installed Avid mechs on my bike (my bike came with v-brakes) and I had this shop remove the brake bosses for aesthetic reasons. Will removing the bosses void the frame warranty? My bike is a 2003 Rocky Mountain just in case. My bike is 3 months old and the warranty on RM frames are 5 yrs. TIA!!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar
    I just installed Avid mechs on my bike (my bike came with v-brakes) and I had this shop remove the brake bosses for aesthetic reasons. Will removing the bosses void the frame warranty? My bike is a 2003 Rocky Mountain just in case. My bike is 3 months old and the warranty on RM frames are 5 yrs. TIA!!
    Definitely void if it was an Ellsworth! j/k

Are you referring to the having the bosses actually ground or sawed off? Or just the removal of the mounting posts? (yes, I know you said bosses but I wanna make sure).

I personally would never cut or grind anything on a frame under warranty. Unscrewing the posts is acceptable.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Definitely void if it was an Ellsworth!
    I was just thinking the same thing.

Jun 2003

Yes.

Painting, removing clearcoat, removing brake bosses, or anything like that voids the warranty.

Jan 2004

No problem!!! I most cases!

I happen to have an Ellsworth Truth w/ RS Duke SL and did remove the front and rear bosses.
    Ellsworth emailed me the brake boss sizes so I could get acrylic plugs to fit into the threads. They were removed using an adjustable wrench. I would not have cut them if that were my only option.
    The rear bosses were 10mm while the forks bosses were 8mm.
    I replaced them with "Problem Solvers Brake Boss Plugs" which I ainordered through www.bikeman.com.

Rocky Mountain should be able to tell you the size plug you would need.

Also, make sure your fork brake bosses can be removed. I know Marzochi bosses should not be removed.

Jun 2003

I do not think he is talking about the brake studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Frog
    I happen to have an Ellsworth Truth w/ RS Duke SL and did remove the front and rear bosses.
    Ellsworth emailed me the brake boss sizes so I could get acrylic plugs to fit into the threads. They were removed using an adjustable wrench. I would not have cut them if that were my only option.
    The rear bosses were 10mm while the forks bosses were 8mm.
    I replaced them with "Problem Solvers Brake Boss Plugs" which I ainordered through www.bikeman.com.

Rocky Mountain should be able to tell you the size plug you would need.

Also, make sure your fork brake bosses can be removed. I know Marzochi bosses should not be removed.
    but cutting off the bosses themselves. I doubt that Ellsworth is ok with that, as no other company will be.

Jan 2004

I agree! No cutting!

I would not cut anything on my frame...
    ... especially on my Ellsworth.

Cleavage Of The Tetons

the new Marzocchi's have removeable bosses...

The older two piece cryofit lowers used the Canti studs as assembly bolts, however, the Canlti post's were removeable (or grindoffable) if you left the threaded portion intact. The new lowers all have installable Canti options.
    "Also, make sure your fork brake bosses can be removed. I know Marzochi bosses should not be removed.[/QUOTE]"
    Last edited by rideit; 02-17-2004 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sp

Jan 2004

Response to all of you.......

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    The older two piece cryofit lowers used the Canti studs as assembly bolts, however, the Canlti post's were removeable (or grindoffable) if you left the threaded portion intact. The new lowers all have installable Canti options.
    "Also, make sure your fork brake bosses can be removed. I know Marzochi bosses should not be removed.
    "[/QUOTE]

The brake mounting posts were removed, using a crescent wrench or something like that, not sawed off or anything. All thats left is the 3 holes that you position the v-brakes in. THe posts were removed on BOTH the frame and the fork. Do I have anything to worry about? The fork is a Marzocchi EXR '03 with the one piece mg lowers. The quote above says Marz bosses should not be removed. Did i ruin the fork's integrity and strength? I mean, my bike should be safe to ride right? ANy thought and comments would be appreciated. Much thanks!!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    but cutting off the bosses themselves. I doubt that Ellsworth is ok with that, as no other company will be.
    Well this is so ironic that you will roll up in a ball laughing so hard!! Check out Tony's response a couple weeks ago when this question was asked about doing it on an actual Ellsworth. That is exactly why I mentioned it--This was the same day Tony jumped in, commeting about the Moment and his warranty policy--then the whole warranty issue exploded and spiraled downward from there.

(scroll to bottom)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=2026

"It wouldn’t unreasonably affect the warranty of the frame though." -TE

Rolling
    The brake mounting posts were removed, using a crescent wrench or something like that, not sawed off or anything. All thats left is the 3 holes that you position the v-brakes in. THe posts were removed on BOTH the frame and the fork. Do I have anything to worry about? The fork is a Marzocchi EXR '03 with the one piece mg lowers. The quote above says Marz bosses should not be removed. Did i ruin the fork's integrity and strength? I mean, my bike should be safe to ride right? ANy thought and comments would be appreciated. Much thanks!!
    Yes, on many Marz forks, the brake studs are part of the structural integrity of the crown assembly--even though it's cryo-fit. you can get bolts that will replace the studs and give you a cleaner finish if you really insist on their removal. But meanwhile, put them back if you have them.

Jan 2004

So from what I see here.....

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Yes, on many Marz forks, the brake studs are part of the structural integrity of the crown assembly--even though it's cryo-fit. you can get bolts that will replace the studs and give you a cleaner finish if you really insist on their removal. But meanwhile, put them back if you have them.
    So from what I see, I have 2 questions:

1) It IS safe to ride the fork bossless (the long part that sticks out of the fork to mount the v-brakes) because Marz makes bolts in case you removed them, am I correct?

2) What about the rear bosses on the bike? I am worried that I totally fu**ed up now I did all this without any thinking. Is it safe to ride and ok to run it bossless? The only thing removed was the mounting post, leaving only the large hole to stick the post in and the 3 hole mount thingie are still there. *Me thinks I might have to go to my RM dealer and ask to be for sure...*

Here's some additional thoughts of mine:
    The only thing left on my bike are the 3 hole mount thingie for vees. Since these are away from the disc brakes, the frame should be ok because most of the stress is by the rear dropout area, correct?
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by SilverStar; 02-17-2004 at 06:37 PM.

Rolling
    So from what I see, I have 2 questions:

1) It IS safe to ride the fork bossless (the long part that sticks out of the fork to mount the v-brakes) because Marz makes bolts in case you removed them, am I correct?
    It is okay to run the fork with the bolts in where you removed the brake studs (I guess you are calling them bosses in this case)

2) What about the rear bosses on the bike? I am worried that I totally fu**ed up now I did all this without any thinking. Is it safe to ride and ok to run it bossless? The only thing removed was the mounting post, leaving only the large hole to stick the post in and the 3 hole mount thingie are still there. *Me thinks I might have to go to my RM dealer and ask to be for sure...*
    You're fine on the rear.

Here's some additional thoughts of mine:
    The only thing left on my bike are the 3 hole mount thingie for vees. Since these are away from the disc brakes, the frame should be ok because most of the stress is by the rear dropout area, correct?
    Thanks guys!
    some terminology to help:

you are calling the brake mounting posts (or studs) bosses. The posts as you know are hardened steel with only two flats to use a wrench to remove them from the bike or fork. It's the post you screw the v-brakes onto.

The bosses are the points on the frame or fork that the mounting post screw into and they include those three hold for the v-brake tension spring.

So you are ok as long as you stick a proper bolt in those holes on the fork.

good luck