REI expanding cycling business, adding Bontrager and Cannondale - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Again, complaining about REI as "big box store." its a co-op dude, look it up. That means its its organized for the benefit of its members, not to make a profit for shareholders. REI is not Walmart,.

And your suggestion that your that "liberals" are somehow hypocritical because they dont want homeless people camping out at their business shows how little you know about liberalism. Just because "liberals" think government should look out for the less fortunate doesnt mean they think homeless people can do no wrong.
    yes I know, they put co-op on the name as a feel good move. So itís a big rectangular store that puts the local outfitters out of business.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyasheville View Post
    yes i know, they put co-op on the name as a feel good move. So itís a big rectangular store that puts the local outfitters out of business.
    LMGTFY
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    yes I know, they put co-op on the name as a feel good move. So itís a big rectangular store that puts the local outfitters out of business.
    Dunno. Our local REI (Long Island) is a big time financial supporter of our local mt. bike club, the hiking groups, does assorted clinics for all kinds of activities both at the store and at various outdoors locations.

Dicks does none of that that Iím aware of.

As well, I have not see that any of our LBSís have suffered or gone out of business due to REIís presence.

That said as a thirty year REI member, I find them pricy for about everything. Their sales are for items they either donít stock or are odd sizes (clothing). About the only time I get a good price from them is when they do the garage sale and blow out stuff in the stock room not selling. Got a nice 2 person tent last year. Generally though I shop elsewhere, especially for bikes and bike gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just what I said, money talks. They havenít put any bike shops under here, because the the numerous bike shops here are super good, way better than REI bike shop, but they did put every outfitter (climbing, camping, etc) out of business shortly after REI opened. These outfitters had been around for many years and just couldnít compete.

Backcountry.com/competitivecyclist.com. No politics, great selection, fast free delivery. (I have affiliation with them other than being a customer)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Again, complaining about REI as "big box store." its a co-op dude, look it up. That means its its organized for the benefit of its members, not to make a profit for shareholders. REI is not Walmart,.

And your suggestion that your that "liberals" are somehow hypocritical because they dont want homeless people camping out at their business shows how little you know about liberalism. Just because "liberals" think government should look out for the less fortunate doesnt mean they think homeless people can do no wrong.
    It's still a big box store and don't think the mucky-mucks don't make considerable salaries at their jobs. Glassdoor shows a DVP (Division VP, presumably) at about $245K annual salary.

And it is a big business. That its leaders are liberal does't mean it's not run like a big business and doesn't lobby like a big business. That's the problem with them many have. Just be a business. None of us should know the political bent of the company/co-op leadership.

Big Mac
    Just what I said, money talks. They havenít put any bike shops under here, because the the numerous bike shops here are super good, way better than REI bike shop, but they did put every outfitter (climbing, camping, etc) out of business shortly after REI opened. These outfitters had been around for many years and just couldnít compete.

Backcountry.com/competitivecyclist.com. No politics, great selection, fast free delivery. (I have affiliation with them other than being a customer)
    Who did they put out of business where you live? How is online shopping any different than what you accuse REI of doing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jayem again."

Full disclosure: since retiring from the newspaper biz 3.5 years ago, I got a part-time job at REI. I love it. REI gives our local mountain bike club a multi-thousand dollar grant every year and we put that money to good use building trails. I believe REI as a company perceives the American infatuation with stick & ball sports and general TV viewing from the couch as unincorporated competition. AKA spectating &/or "doing nothing." I believe REI as a company feels that motivating our society to "get outside" is not only good for business but good for society. Our North American society has become an indoor one, particularly within cities but everywhere. Parents don't send their kids outdoors to play anymore. Too many boogymen. Digital entertainment saturates all life. I may be generalizing and embellishing to a degree, but you get the idea.
    Exactly, and I'm not pretending there are not corporate interests that want to make money, like Patagonia, Black Diamond, K2, etc., but like you said, at least the focus is on getting outside and being healthy. All those things that I mentioned before are "encouraged" because someone is always trying to sell you something, we see commercials all the time, whether it's home depot, baby food, pharmaceuticals, cars, etc., all these interests want you to buy their stuff, the more you procreate and the more you make, generally, the more you have to buy. I want to be clear that I'm not trying to knock anyone that is successful or their decision to have kids, but it's where all of these pressures, society, advertising, family, peer groups, try to focus people on all of these "other things" without making time to be healthy and live well.

The stick-n-ball "sports" are a good example of this, sure, some of the kids may play some of the sports in HS, but what about after then? How many can actually play football moving on? A very small percentage and if you are one of those few that can do it, you basically have to sacrifice everything in your life to do it, and then end up with concussions. Not all of the sports are this extreme and there's definitely a spectrum, but a lot of these "sports" aren't sustainable and there aren't enough community leagues and activity, possibly due to the space and logistics that are necessary to organize these things. I did a softball league a few years back, that was fun, difficult to manage with all the other stuff I do, but rewarding. There simply isn't enough of that to be sustainable IMO. So kids never get interested in outdoors and are "programmed" from early on to avoid the outdoors and doing stuff. One positive is that we are seeing some shifts towards getting kids on bikes at young ages and having grade-school riding teams/clubs, but again, too much focus is on the stuff that's simply not sustainable as you get older. No one is going to be doing gymnastics or wrestling at 40.

So again, I see REI promoting sustainable activities for people and providing high quality gear for those purposes. It helps to encourage and enable people to get out and do these things when they can pick up the right gear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    but they did put every outfitter (climbing, camping, etc) out of business shortly after REI opened. These outfitters had been around for many years and just couldnít compete.
    Business is hard and one constant is that it must constantly change to be successful. There are very few true niches IMO and those shops probably thought they were special, but they were not. If a bike shop wants to survive, they need to do things like sponsor races and trail building, do shop rides, put on clinics for bike maintenance, build a pump track out back, and all sorts of things along these lines to try and branch out, attract new customers, etc. If you sit back and expect it to come to you, you are just biding your time waiting for someone to come along that can do what you do faster, cheaper, more efficiently, better, etc., and that will always happen at some point if you aren't active. We have several successful outfitters here in AK besides REI, we have several successful bike shops besides REI, those things I mentioned above are definitely reasons why those businesses are successful. Unfortunately, I saw a lot of "old school" shops when I was in AZ that relied on a certain subset of the population or business but never made any effort to reach out or be active, and yep, they died off, blamed the internets or whatever.

All that said, there is definitely a shift away from brick and mortar, maybe the solution is that these stores become the local amazon warehouses for these particular specialties, I don't know, but that goes back to the nature of business, you gotta adapt and change to survive.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Bikesexual
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Who did they put out of business where you live? How is online shopping any different than what you accuse REI of doing?

They put Base Camp out of business. That was a really great outdoor shop in Bellingham back in the day.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    What is REI doing that's so heinous? They build a nice store, keep it well stocked, and sell stuff at full pop, minus a year-end 10% membership rebate if you join. I believe their pay and benefits are significantly better than typical small retail shops...paid vaca, health insurance, 401K... There's nothing devious going on, is there?
    Do the math.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    They put Base Camp out of business. That was a really great outdoor shop in Bellingham back in the day.
    REI is to blame for that? Did they issue some sort of boycott of Base Camp? Good stores stay in business because they have a loyal following typically because they offer a great service.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    What is REI doing that's so heinous? They build a nice store, keep it well stocked, and sell stuff at full pop, minus a year-end 10% membership rebate if you join. I believe their pay and benefits are significantly better than typical small retail shops...paid vaca, health insurance, 401K... There's nothing devious going on, is there?
    They also spend a lot of money annually ($8.8 million in 2017, according to the company) towards protecting outdoor access. That effort benefits all of us.

Snow Dog
    from the view point of some in this thread (who keep saying that politics is not that important, but then keep bringing it up) they are "deviously lefty"....

and they are probably no more or less guilty of the shenanigans of any other large scale business just by virtue of the fact that they are a large scale business

the REI here in town does many of the same thing for local grassroots entities that many have mentioned here...trail days, sponsoring kids learning events at some of the parks etc...local involvement. The other big box "outfitters" don't do any of that that Ia maware of....they advertise t events, but that is it..

I choose to use REI when my local shops are closed because I do think they are closer to a concerned entity for outdoors activity promotion than any other place.

But I choose my local guys first every time...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Big Mac
    Well, that does suck, but I was referring to AshevilleJimmy. I live in Asheville, and I assume he does too, and I know of no shops put out of business by REI, despite his claims of many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Well, that does suck, but I was referring to AshevilleJimmy. I live in Asheville, and I assume he does too, and I know of no shops put out of business by REI, despite his claims of many.

Oddly, despite his username, he lives in Bellingham now.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I meant, "let's grab adult beverages and hang out!"

Think of "hammocking" like "tailgating" but without the parking lot. And you're lying down under some shade trees.
    Iím a pro at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Big Mac
    Oddly, despite his username, he lives in Bellingham now.
    Well that is odd. So AshevilleJimmy, is actually BellinghamJimmy. Whoíd a thunk it?

mtbr member
    Well that is odd. So AshevilleJimmy, is actually BellinghamJimmy. Whoíd a thunk it?

I've read his posts in the Washington forum and I think he transplanted there not too long ago from Asheville.

That said, I don't think he's been in the 'ham long enough to remember the outdoor shops that used to be there before REI.

Big Mac
    I've read his posts in the Washington forum and I think he transplanted there not too long ago from Asheville.

That said, I don't think he's been in the 'ham long enough to remember the outdoor shops that used to be there before REI.
    Well, I wonder what heís talking about. Hopefully, heíll come back soon, and clear this up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    from the view point of some in this thread (who keep saying that politics is not that important, but then keep bringing it up) they are "deviously lefty"....

and they are probably no more or less guilty of the shenanigans of any other large scale business just by virtue of the fact that they are a large scale business

the REI here in town does many of the same thing for local grassroots entities that many have mentioned here...trail days, sponsoring kids learning events at some of the parks etc...local involvement. The other big box "outfitters" don't do any of that that Ia maware of....they advertise t events, but that is it..

I choose to use REI when my local shops are closed because I do think they are closer to a concerned entity for outdoors activity promotion than any other place.

But I choose my local guys first every time...
    Why do you differentiate between LBS and REI?
    REI is local to you and sells bikes. They also do similar community things like small shops. And as a coop there sure is local ownership. By definition they are an LBS.

They just happen to have more selection on longer hours. Basically a better run LBS.

I think the large stores are the future besides direct sale. It is just more economical to have a large store that has huge buying power and is diversified to survive winter and rain season. The tiny LBS should just focus on service unless they have boutique brands or are in less densely populated areas. All retail goes that way.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    REI is local to you and sells bikes. They also do similar community things like small shops. And as a coop there sure is local ownership. By definition they are an LBS.

They just happen to have more selection on longer hours. Basically a better run LBS.

I think the large stores are the future besides direct sale. It is just more economical to have a large store that has huge buying power and is diversified to survive winter and rain season. The tiny LBS should just focus on service unless they have boutique brands or are in less densely populated areas. All retail goes that way.
    actually, you are right...I think I would consider our REI more "local" now that I think about it...both for bikes and regular camping gear...I would also consider our original store to be "small" compared to big box stores in the area.

I think that we are lucky for the dynamic of our store given what I have heard about other peoples stores

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

No known cure

I think what you posted is geographic dependent. In Southern California, high end boutique LBS's are a dime a dozen as are mail order houses, like two Jensens equidistant from my office (under 15 miles). The market for high end shops is saturated, especially with three bike parks right down the road, two of which are lift accessed, not to mention the shuttle companies. I wouldn't consider a REI a serious LBS and I don't think established serious cyclist are going there for bikes. Did you consider a Novara?

Establish yourself as a regular at your LBS or boardshop and the bro deals and homie hookups makes the dividend look like chump change.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member

REI is absolutely not an LBS.

First, while they sell bikes, they are not a bike shop. Your local bike shop is just that - a bike shop. REI is an outdoor gear shop, slowly morphing into a clothing store that sells outdoor gear. Including bikes. Bikes are just a single line of business and, should they opt to, they could close or reduce their bike area with little impact to their bottom line. Could your LBS do that and keep operating? Didn't think so.

Second, local? Sure, they're in the community and give back to the communities in which they operate as well as their members everywhere. But they are a company based in Seattle, not your local community. They are not a local entrepreneur. Their store managers have inputs into what they should stock in each store, no doubt, but their planning, purchasing and distribution is centrally managed by people in Seattle, WA... not wherever you are. That, again, makes them not an LBS by definition.

Finally, they aren't as personal as your small, local shop. Just the nature of their business model. That also, by definition, precludes them from being equivalent to an LBS.

More selection? Sure, for outdoor gear. But not for bike related stuff. I can find more bike related stuff at one of my local bike shops than at REI.

No known cure
    REI is expensive for their small parts too, in store. I bought a larger capacity hydration pack* for a solo bike trip to Iceland. I decided I should pick up some new SPD cleats while I was in there. They were $28 after tax. On their website, they were $15 plus shipping. I went in my LBS where they were his cost; next to nothing. That's two beers in Reykjavik.

*The Osprey pack I picked up is the best pack I've used

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Not out of business as a corporation, but the local REI on Long Island was located across the street from Eastern Mt. Sports. That EMS branch closed though as did 4 other location in the NYC area. EMS has had major store closings and Iím actually surprised they are still in business, so canít blame REI, but having a competitor that has that broad a range of activities didnít help the bottom line.

Nat
    mtbr member
    EMS and REI are in the same category of generalized outdoor sporting goods store. They're not a mom and pop shop that got out-competed. No tears.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    REI is absolutely not an LBS.

First, while they sell bikes, they are not a bike shop. Your local bike shop is just that - a bike shop. REI is an outdoor gear shop, slowly morphing into a clothing store that sells outdoor gear. Including bikes. Bikes are just a single line of business and, should they opt to, they could close or reduce their bike area with little impact to their bottom line. Could your LBS do that and keep operating? Didn't think so.
    Many LBS these days have become mainly service-shops (which REI does too), because of the proliferation of Amazon/Ebay and all the online retailers. It takes a lot to stand out, so just trying to survive with "selling bikes" is probably not a good business model even for bike shops. You seem to put the bike shops on a high pedestal. We have some good ones where I live, but I've lived in plenty of places where it's not and I travel to plenty of places where it's outright disappointing, despite large cycling populations.

Second, local? Sure, they're in the community and give back to the communities in which they operate as well as their members everywhere. But they are a company based in Seattle, not your local community. They are not a local entrepreneur. Their store managers have inputs into what they should stock in each store, no doubt, but their planning, purchasing and distribution is centrally managed by people in Seattle, WA... not wherever you are. That, again, makes them not an LBS by definition.
    Nope, but they are doing this right now for us:

If you havenít heard of this yet...REI is giving a token with every purchase made at their midtown location. On your way out the door you can choose to deposit your wooden token into any of the three cans that represent 3 different local organizations. At the end...April 4th I think, the organization with the most tokens will be awarded $15,000!!! I didnít even look at the other two as soon as I saw STA SingleTrackAdvocates in the center! Come on you guys...STA deserves our best effort as a community to get that money!!!勞
    STA is our local single track non-profit (that I'm a part of) that gets trails built and maintained. Last year, we built a ton of fun advanced trails here and grants and fundraising were absolutely integral to the process and outcome.

Finally, they aren't as personal as your small, local shop. Just the nature of their business model. That also, by definition, precludes them from being equivalent to an LBS.
    Again, that's quite an assumption, as in the REI is run by evil trolls and your LBS has half-human half-unicorns able to grant any wish. Again, I'm lucky that we have some great shops, but often times the local shops are so helpless when it comes to parts, knowledge, stock, etc., and sometimes they aren't personable at all. Sometimes they are an a$$ and can't see the forest for the trees.

More selection? Sure, for outdoor gear. But not for bike related stuff. I can find more bike related stuff at one of my local bike shops than at REI.
    Generally, REI has more selection for cyling clothes, camelbacks, many bike accessories, car racks and at least equal selection for many other things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Again, I support our local shops and we have great ones, but in some places they are pretty bad, and REI is more consistent. It's not a given that your LBS is some magical place where everything is perfect, it's some of those issues with the shops that have driven people away.
    Last edited by Jayem; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    ^^^ +1

Years ago, LBSs covered the gamut; the good, bad and the ugly. What's left now are the good ones that are managing to hang on in the face of the changing times by providing great customer service.
    Do the math.

Up In Smoke
    Years ago, LBSs covered the gamut; the good, bad and the ugly. What's left now are the good ones that are managing to hang on in the face of the changing times by providing great customer service.
    A shop in my neighborhood just closed their doors on the first of the month. Definitely a bummer since that was my shop of choice for a lot of years. Although, within the past few years the stopped carrying new bikes, tried doing rentals and selling used bikes and mainly profiting off service. Well, within the last few months their service dropped off and their customer service got even worse. Not a surprise but it was one of the older shops in my area. In fact I was just in there before they closed their doors and they guy working the counter was rude and tried arguing with me about what size seatpost clamp I needed. I swore to myself that I would never go in there again, and it looks like i'll never even get the chance.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    A shop in my neighborhood just closed their doors on the first of the month. Definitely a bummer since that was my shop of choice for a lot of years. Although, within the past few years the stopped carrying new bikes, tried doing rentals and selling used bikes and mainly profiting off service. Well, within the last few months their service dropped off and their customer service got even worse. Not a surprise but it was one of the older shops in my area. In fact I was just in there before they closed their doors and they guy working the counter was rude and tried arguing with me about what size seatpost clamp I needed. I swore to myself that I would never go in there again, and it looks like i'll never even get the chance.
    Sad. The locally owned shop I traded with for many years sold a decade or so ago and then eventually shut. Their former space is now occupied by an expensive, snooty restaurant. Evidently restaurants can get away with such pricing and attitude.

Meanwhile try being an expensive, snooty bike shop.

Ain't gonna work. Nope, no way, no how.

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    ...Meanwhile try being an expensive, snooty bike shop. Ain't gonna work. Nope, no way, no how...
    I know at least a couple of them that are doing quite well. Both are located in expensive big city suburbs and cater to high-end clientele to whom price is not much of a concern. It's a small niche, but it can exist in the right places.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Many LBS these days have become mainly service-shops (which REI does too), because of the proliferation of Amazon/Ebay and all the online retailers. It takes a lot to stand out, so just trying to survive with "selling bikes" is probably not a good business model even for bike shops. You seem to put the bike shops on a high pedestal. We have some good ones where I live, but I've lived in plenty of places where it's not and I travel to plenty of places where it's outright disappointing, despite large cycling populations.

Nope, but they are doing this right now for us:

STA is our local single track non-profit (that I'm a part of) that gets trails built and maintained. Last year, we built a ton of fun advanced trails here and grants and fundraising were absolutely integral to the process and outcome.

Again, that's quite an assumption, as in the REI is run by evil trolls and your LBS has half-human half-unicorns able to grant any wish. Again, I'm lucky that we have some great shops, but often times the local shops are so helpless when it comes to parts, knowledge, stock, etc., and sometimes they aren't personable at all. Sometimes they are an a$$ and can't see the forest for the trees.

Generally, REI has more selection for cyling clothes, camelbacks, many bike accessories, car racks and at least equal selection for many other things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Again, I support our local shops and we have great ones, but in some places they are pretty bad, and REI is more consistent. It's not a given that your LBS is some magical place where everything is perfect, it's some of those issues with the shops that have driven people away.
    You're assuming a lot, Jayem. I don't put bike shops on a pedestal. We have some great ones here where I live and others I don't particularly care for. They are just a business and, as with all, some are better than others.

But regardless of what REI donates to the local community (they donate to WMBC here), they are not local and the argument was REI=LBS. And that, in my opinion, is flat out wrong. They are a national organization with headquarters in Seattle. Their senior leadership lives, works and recreates in Seattle. Well, they recreate all over because they are paid very, very well. On par with other national level organizations. No judgement; they do a great job, but compared to the salary your LBS owner gets, not in the same ballpark. They are not a bike shop. They are an outdoor department store, with a bike department. And a ski department (mostly XC, but alpine, too). And camping department. And shoe department. And, most significantly, clothing department. The bike department is a small part of the equation. For an LBS, it IS the equation.

Maybe here in Bellingham, with so many good bike shops, REI doesn't put as much into theirs as where you live. They have hydration packs (but that's probably a whole department, too, since they have hiking packs, day packs, running packs and any other category of packs). Osprey and house brand only now. They have racks and I'm not sure who else in town has Yakima and Thule, so there is that (but if I'm not shopping local, there's lots of places online with much better pricing on those big brands). But we also have Recon-Racks here, too.

Our REI is light on cycling clothing. Pearl Izumi and some Zoic. And house brand. Some shoes. The LBS' in town do better in this regard, specifically Fanatik. But, to be fair, they're a big online player, too, so maybe not a fair comparison.

Not saying REI is evil or run by trolls. They are just bigger, with more staff and it would take a lot of time (and presumably $$ spent) to get to know the staff like you can at your small, local bike shop. When I go into REI, they want my member number. At my LBS, they ask for my name for their loyalty program.

If I had no good local shops, I'd go to REI. Or online.

Out spokin'
    I know at least a couple of them that are doing quite well. Both are located in expensive big city suburbs and cater to high-end clientele to whom price is not much of a concern. It's a small niche, but it can exist in the right places.
    Yeah, that's true, Rager. I should have clearly stated that I was talking about lil' ol' Eugene, Oregon where I live. Here hippies still roam (many older ones doing quite well, actually), every street corner is staked out by someone holding a cardboard panhandler's sign (and drivers that actually support them) and nary a soul willing to pay full retail for anything.

Two hours north of here in the swelling uber-hip metropolis of Portland, there are several booteeky bike shops that meet your description.

So yeah, some places. Not here.
    =sParty

P.S. Ever hear of the Oregon Country Fair? Welcome to my world.
    disciplesofdirt.org

Snow Dog
    funny now that I think about, and after reading all these posts....around here, a stand alone LBS has only been a thing of the recent past....when I was a kid, ALL of the bike stores were part of another entity. Our "mom and pop" bike stores were also lawn mower shops, garden centers....

the first LBS I remember - back in the 70's - was Como Bike and Mower. The store was divided in to 2 sections split down the middle with bikes on one side, and lawn mowers on the other. The mechanics worked on both. They had a big BMX section, and my friends and I lived there...we would run errands for the owner, or do clean up work in exchange for small bike parts, magazines and stickers. It still exists, but just a a mower store now. When the first wave of Trek stores, and Bike Source came to town, they closed the bike side

We also had Schwinn bike shops that were hooked on to a couple local gardening centers, and one was even part of a musical instrument store.

I don't remember there being stand alone bike shops till the 90's....so I think that is why I can see our REI as an LBS in a way...

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Which makes no sense when GG is right down the road.
    It makes a lot of sense to me because GG probably needs to concentrate on manufacturing, design and overall marketing before individual retails sales. If I recall, the two are maybe or a mile if apart. That seems like a win win.

For those of us in Trek's back yard, anything but their factory owned stores will be nice. The independent Bontrager retailers and REI do much to support our trails compared to the Trek Store locations.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Something else that came to mind re REI. My nephew got into this sport recently and I'm always meeting families in our kids lesson programs who like him, were very happy getting stuff at REI. They've said they said they were not judged stepping into REI as was the case at other stores. It seems like there's a noticeable percentage of independent bike shops or their employees who can be their own worst enemy.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here around San Francisco we have lots of LBS's and a good number or REI's. There are simply too many places to buy and service bikes for most places to thrive---of course some do but many struggle and many do not stock parts but the most common and certainly it is rare to see much of a clothing selection--and this is the market where the bike buyer is more wealthy than any other place in the country. Coupled with the new buy online and pickup in the store models let the mfg cut the commission for the LBS way down----Trek/Giant for sure are doing this to my LBS. And then we have the YT/Canyon/Intense model undercutting pricing. And of course most of us buy parts on the internet while saying how much we like the LBS.

I think while we may all not like it the economics for many LBS's are getting weaker and the ability to sell/service bikes as just one product line improves this and I suspect we will see more brands heading this way-----the mfg's will save money on distribution etc and the consumer may save money on price. But if the online selling model continues to grow as it has in Europe then the LBS model is in big trouble and going big box is a strategy that may save the entire industry from going online.

No known cure
    LBS's have different business models and they can be all over the place. Some sell to the retired crowd and carry nothing high end. Mostly comfort bikes. I see this here in Surprise, AZ. Some shops, like in Big Bear, are all about bike rentals with sales and service taking a back seat. Some like The Path in OC are nothing but top shelf bikes. The shop my friend owns is everything from top shelf to entry level but he survives on service. He says he's not in the business of selling bikes, but good times. He also builds trails and is in with the forest service.

Don't Tread on Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I used to get pretty large dividends but banned REI when they went political dropping camelback, Giro, Bell ect.
    +1

An elementary business policy= keep politics out of business. In today's polarized political environment, why chase off half your potential customers?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    ...I don't remember there being stand alone bike shops till the 90's..
    I bought my first 10sp road bike (2x5) in ~1970 in a standalone Schwinn shop. My memory is pretty vague after that but I kinda remember shops being around. I definitely recall buying my first mtb in a little standalone shop around '88; chrome steel Mongoose, Biopace Deore, indexed thumb shifters above the bar, canties...sweet!
    Do the math.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    +1

An elementary business policy= keep politics out of business. In today's polarized political environment, why chase off half your potential customers?
    I doubt the 2nd amendment crowd made up half of REIís customers, and for a lot of folks ethics wins out over profit. Businesses on both sides have declared their views.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    +1

Because we cant keep business out of politics. Of course they want us ignoring what they're doing!

Consumers are now demanding more transparency. If any brand is funneling in money to any political party, I'll reconsider purchasing from them.

REI doesnt buy candidates, but they do participate in local level outdoor policy and activism. I'm good with that.

mtbr member
    I doubt the 2nd amendment crowd made up half of REIís customers, and for a lot of folks ethics wins out over profit. Businesses on both sides have declared their views.
    You might be surprised.

But even if that's true, there are still non "2nd Amendment crowd" types who believe in the 1st Amendment and shutting someone else down over beliefs or a business model offends many of them regardless of their views on guns.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Because we cant keep business out of politics. Of course they want us ignoring what they're doing!

Consumers are now demanding more transparency. If any brand is funneling in money to any political party, I'll reconsider purchasing from them.

REI doesnt buy candidates, but they do participate in local level outdoor policy and activism. I'm good with that.
    REI is a big business and lobbies right along with the rest of 'em. Don't think they don't contribute to PACs and/or candidates, especially now with their stance on Vista Outdoor.

Hell, the last CEO was appointed Secretary of the Interior. If you don't think they're playing in that arena, you are very naive.

Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    It makes a lot of sense to me because GG probably needs to concentrate on manufacturing, design and overall marketing before individual retails sales. If I recall, the two are maybe or a mile if apart. That seems like a win win.

For those of us in Trek's back yard, anything but their factory owned stores will be nice. The independent Bontrager retailers and REI do much to support our trails compared to the Trek Store locations.
    True, I wonder if there is any kind of price break buying direct from GG. Hard to believe there would be with those two so close together and maybe not even possible to buy direct from them.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    You might be surprised.
    I doubt it.

No known cure
    Ethics do win out over profit. My constitutional rights are a lot more important than REI's bottom line. My average dividend was $750. Not a lot to put the hurt on them but I'm not the only one.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    True, I wonder if there is any kind of price break buying direct from GG. Hard to believe there would be with those two so close together and maybe not even possible to buy direct from them.
    My next bike is going to be a GG, but it's going to be bought through the shop. We're also going to be picking up another bike as a demo.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ethics do win out over profit. My constitutional rights are a lot more important than REI's bottom line. My average dividend was $750. Not a lot to put the hurt on them but I'm not the only one.
    For every one of you to boycott thereís at least one person to go buy something just because the company took a stand. Youíre dreaming if you think you made the tiniest little dent in a billion dollar companyís business. People are simply picking sides.

And not that it means anything, but since youíve brought it up at least twice now, my average annual dividend is way higher than yours. Way higher.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Right, because snowflakes believe the only way to have the 2nd amendment is to not regulate arms and they think it has to be an all or nothing approach. This all or nothing thing gets tired. Snowflakes melt the same whether they are on the left or right.

No known cure
    For every one of you to boycott thereís at least one person to go buy something just because the company took a stand. Youíre dreaming if you think you made the tiniest little dent in a billion dollar companyís business. People are simply picking sides.

And not that it means anything, but since youíve brought it up at least twice now, my average annual dividend is way higher than yours. Way higher.
    Voting with your wallet is a real thing and it does have impact. The CEO of Dick's admitted this.

REI isn't the only game in town. I'm a gear whore and while I'd spend $10k at REI, I'd spend just as much elsewhere. I'd actually spend more at Sports Chalet. To shop at REI, I have to drive down off the mountain to the asylum. Not something I do on purpose.

BTW, I'm not a gun nut by any stretch. I don't own a scary black rifle, but a business fighting against my constitutional rights is cause for concern and I'm not going to enable them. If REI was suppressing free speech, my stance would be the same.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Something else that came to mind re REI. My nephew got into this sport recently and I'm always meeting families in our kids lesson programs who like him, were very happy getting stuff at REI. They've said they said they were not judged stepping into REI as was the case at other stores. It seems like there's a noticeable percentage of independent bike shops or their employees who can be their own worst enemy.
    this is definitely the truth...I get this at one place here in town, closer to the "hipster" part of town. They advertise a "family friendly" and helpful environment, but if you are looking for something not deemed "cool" by them, you get the brush off

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    I bought my first 10sp road bike (2x5) in ~1970 in a standalone Schwinn shop. My memory is pretty vague after that but I kinda remember shops being around. I definitely recall buying my first mtb in a little standalone shop around '88; chrome steel Mongoose, Biopace Deore, indexed thumb shifters above the bar, canties...sweet!
    should have added "here in C-bus Ohio"...back then, we were still a pretty small city, so stand alone bike shops probably did not make enough to stay afloat

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

No known cure
    this is definitely the truth...I get this at one place here in town, closer to the "hipster" part of town. They advertise a "family friendly" and helpful environment, but if you are looking for something not deemed "cool" by them, you get the brush off
    I went in to the LBS to establish a relationship when I moved to AZ. I do my own work but need consumables from time to time. I went to buy a tube and looked at the price. It was $16.99 for a 26"x2.4. No thanks. I haven't been back

mtbr member
    I doubt it.
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Living in an echo chamber rarely allows in surprises. Or other perspectives.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    It's still a big box store and don't think the mucky-mucks don't make considerable salaries at their jobs. Glassdoor shows a DVP (Division VP, presumably) at about $245K annual salary.

And it is a big business. That its leaders are liberal does't mean it's not run like a big business and doesn't lobby like a big business. That's the problem with them many have. Just be a business. None of us should know the political bent of the company/co-op leadership.
    You're complaining about REI putting outfitters out of business, then plugging Backcountry.com? (And admitting to a presumably business affiliation with them?) Lulz.

REI supports outdoor recreation in my area, does Backcountry.com? I'll answer, since you may not know my area; nope, they don't at all.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Voting with your wallet is a real thing and it does have impact. The CEO of Dick's admitted this.

REI isn't the only game in town. I'm a gear whore and while I'd spend $10k at REI, I'd spend just as much elsewhere. I'd actually spend more at Sports Chalet. To shop at REI, I have to drive down off the mountain to the asylum. Not something I do on purpose.

BTW, I'm not a gun nut by any stretch. I don't own a scary black rifle, but a business fighting against my constitutional rights is cause for concern and I'm not going to enable them. If REI was suppressing free speech, my stance would be the same.
    Letís be clear, you can be in favor of constitutional rights and owning firearms without the current free for all and chaos that we currently have. People always seem to forget the ďwell regulatedĒ part of the 2nd amendment when it comes to this, so in their minds if you arenít in favor of giving them away like bibles, you are somehow ďagainst the 2nd amendmentĒ. Screw those people.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Letís be clear, you can be in favor of constitutional rights and owning firearms without the current free for all and chaos that we currently have. People always seem to forget the ďwell regulatedĒ part of the 2nd amendment when it comes to this, so in their minds if you arenít in favor of giving them away like bibles, you are somehow ďagainst the 2nd amendmentĒ. Screw those people.
    The way I see it, there's always some level at which citizens shouldn't own it... Even if you believe it's only WMDs, we all can agree that level does exist. Where it should be is the debate, not if.

mtbr member
    My next bike is going to be a GG,...
    That is awesome. I'm sure that you'll love it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Yeah, you're probably right.

Living in an echo chamber rarely allows in surprises. Or other perspectives.
    Tell me, do you think REI lost half of its customers when they stopped carrying Camelbaks? HALF, as in 50%???

Big Mac
    Tell me, do you think REI lost half of its customers when they stopped carrying Camelbaks? HALF, as in 50%???
    If you judged by the business at my local REI, Iíd say that number is closer to zero, but I could be off by a little.

No known cure
    This is awesome. MTBR killed Forum 88, but here it is alive and well.

Flat Pluto Society
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 1 Week Ago at 05:11 PM.
    Winter tip: Don't make snow angels in dog parks.

rth009
    May 2010
    [QUOTE=Vader;14013553]Nothing is your post is accurate and freedom is scary.[/QUOTE

You cant just say its inaccurate. That's just like sayings it "fake news." If you want to be taken seriously, please explain what is inaccurate about Jayem's post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bought my first mtb, a Cannondale F300, at REI in 2006. Before they closed my local REI I used to buy jerseys, gloves, socks, pumps, bottles, etc. there. I enjoyed their ship free to the store policy and return policy. Since they closed my local about two years ago I havenít bought anything from them. I guess I liked holding things and trying on things before I bought them.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    I guess I liked holding things and trying on things before I bought them.
    I don't think you do.

https://youtu.be/4T2GmGSNvaM

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    This is awesome. MTBR killed Forum 88, but here it is alive and well.
    It most certainly is not. I deleted all the political posts in this thread. Please read and abide by the posted site rules.

Vadar you are treading a thin line. knock it off.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It most certainly is not. I deleted all the political posts in this thread. Please read and abide by the posted site rules.

Vadar you are treading a thin line. knock it off.
    I'll be on my best behavior.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    You're complaining about REI putting outfitters out of business, then plugging Backcountry.com? (And admitting to a presumably business affiliation with them?) Lulz.

REI supports outdoor recreation in my area, does Backcountry.com? I'll answer, since you may not know my area; nope, they don't at all.
    WTF are you talking about? I'm not plugging anyone or anything. And assuming I have an affiiation with them... well, we all know what happens when you assume. Except in this case, it's just you.

mtbr member
    Of course not. Those that chose to alter their purchasing habits were probably not much more than a blip on REI's national level (see what I did there... e.g. not a local bike shop) radar. Especially since they locate a lot of stores in big cities, where all that outdoor gear comes in handy and those other things are big and scary.

(Note: not an exclusively REI tactic. Lots of the outdoor stores do this because it's simply good business.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

REI expanding cycling business, adding Bontrager and Cannondale

Especially since they locate a lot of stores in big cities, where all that outdoor gear comes in handy and those other things are big and scary.
    Thatís what my local REI did. Moved into the center of the city. Itís too much of a pain to get there now and I get the feeling they arenít catering to me anymore. Iím pretty sure this is the market they are aiming for now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlTGRlF_zSI
    Last edited by CGrr; 1 Week Ago at 04:01 AM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Of course not. Those that chose to alter their purchasing habits were probably not much more than a blip on REI's national level (see what I did there... e.g. not a local bike shop) radar. Especially since they locate a lot of stores in big cities, where all that outdoor gear comes in handy and those other things are big and scary.

(Note: not an exclusively REI tactic. Lots of the outdoor stores do this because it's simply good business.)
    Like I said, the boycott was barely a blip. REI didn't "alienate half of its customers" as the other poster put it.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    WTF are you talking about? I'm not plugging anyone or anything. And assuming I have an affiiation with them... well, we all know what happens when you assume. Except in this case, it's just you.
    Looks like I clicked the wrong 'Quote' button, my bad. I thought I had quoted JimmyAsheville above your post:

Take a deep breath, my apologies for the aneurysm I appear to have caused.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Thatís what my local REI did. Moved into the center of the city. Itís too much of a pain to get there now and I get the feeling they arenít catering to me anymore. Iím pretty sure this is the market they are aiming for are now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlTGRlF_zSI
    They moved my local store from a shopping center with plenty of parking to a smaller place with practically no parking within a half mile.

Smart move there, REI.

No known cure
    Over lunch today with my mom, I asked her where my her and my dad picked up the Coleman canvas umbrella tent and plaid sleeping bags we used in the 70's. I thought she would say Kmart since we were poor, but no, they got everything from REI in Orange County. She said it was a warehouse setting with gear all over the floor and display tents hanging from the ceiling.

mtbr member
    ^^^ similar to what I remember from late 70's.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It was me that plugged backcountry. Since REI put everyone here out of business the only option is online. Not for bikes, we have plenty of serious bike shops. Your not hurting local if there are none left to hurt.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Verrry interesting. Wallets are speaking indeed.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    It was me that plugged backcountry. Since REI put everyone here out of business the only option is online. Not for bikes, we have plenty of serious bike shops. Your not hurting local if there are none left to hurt.
    You plugged it on a world wide website. There are plenty of retailers local to those who will read your post that may be threatened by your plug. Which was my point, aside from hitting the wrong quote; you don't care about hurting local businesses, you just don't like REI. You are entitled to your opinion but don't hide behind supporting local businesses when you clearly don't care about that.

Also curious if it was a typo when you said that you DID have an affiliation with Backcountry other than being a customer. I hope (and think) so but if I take you at your word in that post it seems you are an employee of Backcountry plugging them here, while simultaneously complaining about REI putting local guys out of business. Surely no one is that dense?

Big Mac
    Again, where is the ďhereĒ, where everybody shut down, because of REI?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    You plugged it on a world wide website. There are plenty of retailers local to those who will read your post that may be threatened by your plug. Which was my point, aside from hitting the wrong quote; you don't care about hurting local businesses, you just don't like REI. You are entitled to your opinion but don't hide behind supporting local businesses when you clearly don't care about that.

Also curious if it was a typo when you said that you DID have an affiliation with Backcountry other than being a customer. I hope (and think) so but if I take you at your word in that post it seems you are an employee of Backcountry plugging them here, while simultaneously complaining about REI putting local guys out of business. Surely no one is that dense?
    Nope, no affiliation with backcountry. If you werenít so dense, maybe you could easily figure out with a few keystrokes where I live.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Nope, no affiliation with backcountry. If you werenít so dense, maybe you could easily figure out with a few keystrokes where I live.
    I didn't ask (and don't care) where you live, not sure why you said that unless maybe you're confusing me with mbmb65 who did just ask?

Just to be clear, here's your post that still says you DO have affiliation with them:

Despite your significant typo, I correctly guessed your intention and my 'dense' comment was simply explaining that I figured it was a typo because otherwise it would take a dense individual to not see the irony. You didn't understand that, took offense and erroneously called me dense because you confused me with another poster... That's pretty dense of you, now isn't it?

No known cure
    Verrry interesting. Wallets are speaking indeed.
    Their stock took an 11% haircut yesterday. Dicks was expanding before they shot themselves in the foot. Now they're closing stores. This latest decision is going to turn off another subset of gun owners. Guns may have been under performing inventory, but the buyers also pick up other gear while in the store. Now there's no draw and they don't sell anything you can't buy on Amazon.

They're following Sports Authorities business model to a T and will soon be filing for bankruptcy.
    Last edited by Vader; 1 Week Ago at 11:30 AM.

Flat Pluto Society
    Damn, dude. Lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Damn, dude. Lighten up.
    Jeez, just when I was about to sit down to a nice flame war you go and pull this.

Out spokin'
    Nope, no affiliation with backcountry.
    Previously you said you had an affiliation with them.

If you werenít so dense, maybe you could easily figure out with a few keystrokes where I live.
    Regardless where you live, your disjointed and inflammatory comments make you appear close to the edge. Whenever I feel similarly, I go for a ride. Which I'm about to do today. FWIW I'm close to the edge, too. Hope to see you out there. I'll bring two beers for post-ride.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Big Mac
    Yeah, that was me asking where you live. So you live in Asheville, I guess, Iíve been told you live in Bellingham, and you wonít answer so, who knows? And you also wonít divulge all the gear shops that REI shut down, so there that. I live in Asheville, and know of no shop closing, as a result of REI coming to town. Care to respond?

Up In Smoke
    In this day and age I'm just happy to have any store front available for me to make hands on purchases, Amazon is the real threat, not REI.

Out spokin'
    Again, where is the ďhereĒ, where everybody shut down, because of REI?
    80% of the time, 90% of the world's problems could be solved by just 30% better communication.
    Jimmy either doesn't understand this. Otherwise maybe, maybe not.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Big Mac
    80% of the time, 90% of the world's problems could be solved by just 30% better communication.
    Jimmy either doesn't understand this. Otherwise maybe, maybe not.
    =sParty
    Or heís heís talking out of his arse.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by train wreck View Post
    in this day and age i'm just happy to have any store front available for me to make hands on purchases, amazon is the real threat, not rei.
    bam!!!

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Out spokin'
    Or heís heís talking out of his arse.
    As was I. Total gibberish!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Big Mac
    As was I. Total gibberish!
    =sParty
    Yah, but the communication part was spot on.

방랑외국인
    Bontrager is up and live. Looks like the Line Pro 30 carbon wheelset is on there for $1200 for the wheelset. At 20% off plus let's say you have $200 in dividends and gift cards laying around from Christmas, thats a carbon wheelset for $760. Not bad considering Enve M735E's are 400g+ heavier, $3,080 and will potentially fail...twice.

REI expanding cycling business, adding Bontrager and Cannondale-c650799f-1669-463e-af3f-a2033327f76f.jpeg

mtbr member
    Kinda digging on the Foray shoes.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    REI can eat a massive C*ck.. ..... the culture changed and finding anyone that knows jack about what they are selling is unlikely might as well goto Dicks or order online at this point.. as the one thing that didn't change is the high prices..
    Does this mean Dicks can eat a massive C*ck too?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    My local REI has always been more of a pain in the ass than anything else. The sales people are extremely pushy and not really that knowledgeable.

Last time I was there the lady at the register harassed me for about 5 minutes about joining their co-op membership. After telling her I wasn't interested about 15 times, she said "Well, you must not enjoy the outdoors at all if you are not interested."

I left without buying the $200 worth of stuff that I had on the counter and went to Cabela's.

The prices are fine, if you are buying name brand stuff. The majority of the brands they carry have MAP prices, so the price is the price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Bontrager is up and live. Looks like the Line Pro 30 carbon wheelset is on there for $1200 for the wheelset. At 20% off plus let's say you have $200 in dividends and gift cards laying around from Christmas, thats a carbon wheelset for $760. Not bad considering Enve M735E's are 400g+ heavier, $3,080 and will potentially fail...twice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c650799f-1669-463e-af3f-a2033327f76f.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1242116
    I checked it out but couldn't tell whether it is coupon eligible, or whether$35 oversized shipping applies.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Squirrel View Post
    ...Last time I was there the lady at the register harassed me for about 5 minutes about joining their co-op membership....The majority of the brands they carry have MAP prices, so the price is the price.
    minus 10% if you're a member or 15% if you use their CC. Their CC pays 1% back on everything else so I use it as the backup to my 2% back card. AND, the single biggest advantage of being a member is the cashiers won't hassle you about not being one.
    Do the math.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast