Thread: Rei bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Rei bikes

I was looking at the drt 1.1, has anyone ridden one? Good starting bike? I primarily ride bike paths and want to start doing some trails. Any and all advice welcome

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Looks like a basic beginner bike, with lower-end components. If you can afford better, then I'd look to spend a bit more money to get a better quality fork and other components. If that's your max budget, it's not a bad way to get started.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Right now I'm riding a 29" from Wal-Mart and it's painful to ride. And we won't talk about the gears..looking for something in the 300-400 range, for now. If I get into it hardcore, then we'll grow accordingly. Thanks for the reply sparkman999

mbtr member
    REI is pretty good at making bikes that will hold up to their intended use and work alright. It's a good choice for what it is, and gets my endorsement. In good/light/cheap rei chooses good and cheap.

Coming from it from an experienced rider's perspective, this class of bikes is useless. I can ride a flat bar commuter or CX bike anywhere this bike will go, and they'll be overwhelmed at a similar point. The commuter/cx bike will be a fair bit quicker and more engaging on roads though. That's not to say entry level mtbs are worthless, but they're exclusively ridden by casual cyclists... not really that fun if you ride much. If you feel like you're outgrowing it, sell and move on.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    REI is pretty good at making bikes that will hold up to their intended use and work alright. It's a good choice for what it is, and gets my endorsement. In good/light/cheap rei chooses good and cheap.

Coming from it from an experienced rider's perspective, this class of bikes is useless. I can ride a flat bar commuter or CX bike anywhere this bike will go, and they'll be overwhelmed at a similar point. The commuter/cx bike will be a fair bit quicker and more engaging on roads though. That's not to say entry level mtbs are worthless, but they're exclusively ridden by casual cyclists... not really that fun if you ride much. If you feel like you're outgrowing it, sell and move on.
    Thanks for the info. We found our son a nice trek alpha 4300 for $200. And it blows the wally world bikes out of the water. It's a nice bike. So that started my hunt..