Recommendations on a new 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Recommendations on a new 29er

Good morning everyone. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on a new 29er.

I believe I will have to go with at least an XL frame, as I am 6’6”, 275lbs.

At the moment, I don’t do anything crazy because my bike is not set up or built for it, but it is a 2003 GT avalanche 2.0 in a large frame.

My son is almost 10, and he is getting a little bit more into easy dirt trail riding, And I can barely ride my current bike on pavement without busting spokes and stuff so I would like recommendations on a new bike that would suffice to my size.

The one killer I’m sure is my budget… I don’t want to spend over 700 bucks on a bike but I need something that will support me. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEO Product Failure
    At 6'6", your priority is fit. Not all XL's will suit you. My son's is 6'6" and rides XXL sized mtb's.

Finding any bike in this economy will be tough--there is a huge increase in demand for new/used bikes (at this price point) due to the pandemic. Lots and lots of people are rediscoverying bike riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    At 6'6", your priority is fit. Not all XL's will suit you. My son's is 6'6" and rides XXL sized mtb's.

Finding any bike in this economy will be tough--there is a huge increase in demand for new/used bikes (at this price point) due to the pandemic. Lots and lots of people are rediscoverying bike riding.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed that there’s a lot more people buying up bikes that normally wouldn’t but I’m in no rush either. I may not even purchase it until closer to November this year but just wanted to get some ideas. I will definitely look into a XXL.

And brands/models to go with? Giant? trek? Any brands that aren’t so common, like Giant, Trek, Specialized?

I know there are a lot of bike brands out there, and I know the cheap ones that are sold at big box stores are not something to go after, but I believe there are brands out there I’ve never heard of that would be a good brand to go with. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Guerrilla Gravity makes bikes your size. you get what you pay for.

also, you're going to find the best advice on a topic like this over in the Clydesdales forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Guerrilla Gravity makes bikes your size. you get what you pay for.

also, you're going to find the best advice on a topic like this over in the Clydesdales forum.
    Thanks for the brand recommendation as well as the forum too. I will ask this over there as well. Didn’t even know that existed. Lol. Thanks.