Recommendations on an HID- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Recommendations on an HID

I want to purchase an HID light for both my mountain bike and my road bike and am having trouble deciding which light to buy. I will primarily use the light for 1-2 hour XC rides but would like the option to use it on the road as well. I also ride in 24-hour races, so burn times are a concern to me.

I borrowed a friend's Niterider HID for the 24 Hr in the Old Pueblo race and really liked it (of course my only other experience is with a cheap NiteHawk light). I tried mounting it on both my helmet and my handlebars to see if there was a difference. When the light was on my hemet I had a hard time -- the light was in my plane of vision and didn't make any shadows, therfore giving me no depth perception. I also got a lot of glare from dust (like driving in fog with your brights on). When I tried the light on the handlebars, I got some shadows and therefore could really see better.

Beyond the requirement of a bar-mount, I also need the light to be compatible with oversized 31.8mm bars (road bike has 'em). Many handlebar mounts with other products (like cyclocomputers) don't work with oversized bars. Do the HID's work with them?

I've only tried the Niterider, but others say the Light&Motion is the better light because it gives a wider, more uniform beam. There is also another brand called "Cygolite Z-Force" which has gotten good reviews on this board. What do you guys recommend? And why?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have the L&M arc HID, it have wider beam pattern then the NR HID. my friend have the NR and it is more like a spot beam. i prefer the L&M over NR because HID is very bright and flood beam pattern can see alot more things on the trail then the spot pattern. the bulb for the L&M,NR,cygo lite and most of the HID light company are by Solarc. Go to Solarc.net to get more info. good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    oops.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Beyond the requirement of a bar-mount, I also need the light to be compatible with oversized 31.8mm bars (road bike has 'em). Many handlebar mounts with other products (like cyclocomputers) don't work with oversized bars. Do the HID's work with them?

I've only tried the Niterider, but others say the Light&Motion is the better light because it gives a wider, more uniform beam. There is also another brand called "Cygolite Z-Force" which has gotten good reviews on this board. What do you guys recommend? And why?

Thx...Doug
    I've used my L+M on a Salsa Bell Lap. It is a couple of years old now, and I don't know if they've changed the mount. Whether or not it is necessary or sensible to have such a bright light on the road is another matter.

Still chuggin' along
    I've ridden with a couple of guys who have the Lume Lighting Strada (?) and its one of the least expensive HIDs around and still very good quality and puts out a great amount of light.

mtbr member

I'll second the L&M recommendation

Works fine with any size bar, better connectors IMO than the NR systems, durable, simple and SUPER-BRIGHT. I have hardly found the dreaded lack of depth perception issues with helmet mounted lights.... I've used a couple both in Tucson and at Moab, and on local trails, and the only thing I'd like better than a L&M HID on my helmet is also one on the bars! But for me, helmet only HID is more than adequate. I found that riding with the light on the bars was OK, but the one time I was in a snowstorm with it on the bars, it was just as disconcerting having the light illuminate the snow ahead as it is on my head...... maybe it's just my eyes!

Most solo folks I've talked with find that a bar and helmet HID is the ultimate set-up, as those freaks are on their bike for so long, it helps to have as much light as possible..... expensive though!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Space for rent...

You may want to try...

...http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/

Some good info that should help you make an "enlightened" decision!

STEVE
    It's only pain......

Thanks for the input - purchased an L&M

Thanks all for your input. Based on the feedback on this board and some of my other friends, I decided to purchase an L&M Arc NiMH for the following reasons:

1) Comes with both a bar and helmet mount. Even though I plan on using the bar mount, it's nice to have both options
    2) Light pattern/beam. When I was in the 24ITOP race last week, I used a NR Storm. My friend had an L&M Arc (older one) and I thought the L&M beam was much nicer.
    3) Overall system weight. L&M NiMH is 200g lighter than the NiteRider and Cygolite.
    4) Reputation. I am familiar with L&M scuba products, and they are first rate. Lume looked like a nice product as well, but they seem like a dinky company (no storefront, no phone # listed on information, etc). I want a light that will be serviceable for a long time.
    5) Price. Supergo had the L&M Arc NiMH on sale for $359 this weekend. They also had a 20% web coupon. So with the sale price and coupon, I got the light for $319 shipped second day (that price includes tax and shipping, so I actually paid only $285 for the light). That's one cheap price.

I will post a review once I have had the chance to use the light for a while. I'm very excited to finally have a decent light.
    Thx...Doug

mtbr member

Just courious but isn't the one Supergo is selling

Have the older and larger bottle mount system and not the newer "tube" style battery?
    I was all set to order one from Supergo using the same deal but did not want the older style battery.

KMan

5) Price. Supergo had the L&M Arc NiMH on sale for $359 this weekend. They also had a 20% web coupon. So with the sale price and coupon, I got the light for $319 shipped second day (that price includes tax and shipping, so I actually paid only $285 for the light). That's one cheap price.

I will post a review once I have had the chance to use the light for a while. I'm very excited to finally have a decent light.
    Thx...Doug[/QUOTE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's the new one

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Have the older and larger bottle mount system and not the newer "tube" style battery?
    I was all set to order one from Supergo using the same deal but did not want the older style battery.

KMan

Thx...Doug
    My L&M light showed up on my front doorstep yesterday. And it's the "new 2004" version with the new battery as pictured in your post.

For some reason the knuckleheads at Supergo have not changed the description of the L&M light from the 2003 version. Or maybe they just typed it in wrong?

Anyway, the description of the L&M Arc light on the Supergo website is incorrect because the '04 models come with both mounts and the "new" battery. The '03 models had the water bottle battery but not both mounts. The Supergo description says the L&M Arc comes with both mounts ('04) but the water bottle battery ('03), which is an impossible combination.

The L&M Arc is still on sale at Supergo for $359. And I think there are still some Supergo web coupons to be found. $359 is a good price for the L&M Arc w/o a coupon, but add in a coupon and the deal is unbeatable.

Thx...Doug