Recommend a frame, and 3/4" versus 5" ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Recommend a frame, and 3/4" versus 5" ?

Subject sort of says it all. I have been riding my hardtail and loving it but think I'm finally ready to upgrade to a full suspension. Can't really afford it right now but fall is coming so I'll start saving my little pennies for something good for next year. I'm interested in medium to high end frames. I have some buddies in the industry so I can probably get a pretty high quality frame for less than retail if I'm lucky...

I was thinking Titus, Ventana, maybe a Rocky Mountain, or maybe a Chumba or something like that. I know this a big list with a lot of variation. It will need to be a serious all-mountain all terrain type of bike, and light, 29lbs max, almost definitely an aluminum frame I imagine... I'd prefer supporting a smaller company and probably something hand made in the USA if possible but this is not that big a deal. I know some of these have been outsourced lately like Chumba, finally, to Taiwan I believe...

Again I have been loving my hard tail and will keep it. Also have a rigid superlight single speed that I'll keep. My friends who I ride with are all on 5" bikes that are serious all mountain type bikes that they ride cross country. Most prefer them over their lighter XC bikes with less rear travel. But especially when we hit the gnarlier rocky trails (that most people probably wouldn't like, are seldom biked versus horseback ridden or something like that, you really have to work hard, and we all love them), 5" might be nice?

Our terrain here varies a lot (northern Utah). I ride on everything from cleared smooth singletrack of Park City trails (which I ride the most, mostly because they are convenient) to pretty gnarly technical sections and with big ass rocks. Rarely any bigger drops but they have been as high as 1-2 feet at most and that is about all I'll hit.. Then I'll want to go down to Moab or Zion.. So I really need something that works for everything.. I'm wondering if 5" travel is too much and too much to drag around. I have been seeing some cheaper 3" options that look pretty good too, especially price-wise. And there is 4" too. I figured 3" would be fun and economical and sleek, racing style a lot like my hardtail.. But I don't want to max out the suspension easily.. I figured 4" is probably a good all around and 5" is overkill..?

Also I am big, 6'5 and about 230 and usually ride fairly aggressively. So I need something with strength as well. Considering 29er but would like to start with your comments on 26" before I start looking into 29. I am down with 29er and think it owuld fit me well but I'm going ot try it out first before I commit..

Also I like a smaller frame versus something massive. Even for my tall height, I have been super psyched with regular old 21" frames.. But might consider something different, I dunno..

Thanks, look forward to all of your info!
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 09-12-2007 at 07:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    sorry guys realized I should have posted this in the "recommend a bike" section.. Mods if you want to move feel free to! Cheers, Andre

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

What the...

The question should be between 5 or 6 inches of travel, not 3,4, or 5! You should know better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks Todd! (buddy with the 5" )..

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Thanks Todd! (buddy with the 5" )..
    I just got a SC SuperLight 4". Like you I love my HT, but wanted something that can handle rougher stuff better.

I see two factors. Who you ride with and their bikes. And what are your riding goals. IMO a 4" bike is good choice if your focus is XC with some AM as it pops up. If all of your buddies ride 5 inch bikes and their focus is AM then I'd suggest you ride the same.

My focus is doing distance and dealing with technical stuff as it pops up. I don't seek out technical. I want a bike that is light, comforable and efficient. My SL weighs just under 27lbs. and with the platform shock feels almost as solid pedaling as my HT. Now if my focus was seeking out technical stuff with doing distance secondary, I'd opt for a 30lb. 5 incher.

IMO 3 inches is for racing only.

Shop *****
    I would go with a Transtion Covert. I've been looking at the same thing for about 2 weeks now, and I narrowed it down to a Haro Werx Xeon, and a Transition Covert. I am going with the Covert, because it's just alltogether nicer :P
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

Members who have read this thread: 0