Rear Derailleur hanger wont sit flush- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Derailleur hanger wont sit flush

Rear Derailleur hanger wont sit flush for the life of me. So I got my bike with a bent hanger, no problem at all I used a hanger tool to bend it back but the problem was that the hanger never would sit flush on the frame when the rear wheel was off the frame. It had a small gap that you could slide a nickel into but once the wheel was mounting it was flush, shifted and preformed normal

So now moving two weeks ago I snapped the hanger clean off from a stick. I stopped at my shop and I had a spare hanger from an old kona frame I had sitting around. We had to file off a hair to get it to slide right in the frame but it was the identical hanger shape and size. So after we get it mounted we noticed that this one to would not sit flush on the frame. So we did a bit of refacing on the drop out and slapped the hanger on and used the DAG to get it set back up. worked like a charm but again once the rear wheel was taken off there was still small space.

So now I order a few spare hangers and I was at the shop today. I slap the brand new hanger on and what do you know still wont sit flush on the frame. It goes in fine and as soon as you screw it in the hanger flares out with a small gap. I put the rear wheel on and used the DAG to get it to work but still the annoying gap. Any ideas or tips for getting this to sit flush. While its more of a OCD pain in the butt thing id like to not have to pre mess with every backup hanger I have for the bike in case I snap one again or if I ever sold the frame.

It sits fine were its screwed in the small gap is if you looked at the back of your bike the part of the hanger closest to you .

I have a 2nd untouched hanger and it doesnt sit right as well I am thinking about sanding more of the pain around the drop out but at this point I think the frame is just doomed to be this way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Speaking as a former bike mechanic, some frames are just like that. Nothing you can do about it short of pre-bending every spare hanger with the DAG. Could be worse, there was a bike model we had where to take a dremel to all the replacement hangers just to get them to fit. Turns out they changed the frames & hangers in the middle of a production run and discontinued the old style hangers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Speaking as a former bike mechanic, some frames are just like that. Nothing you can do about it short of pre-bending every spare hanger with the DAG. Could be worse, there was a bike model we had where to take a dremel to all the replacement hangers just to get them to fit. Turns out they changed the frames & hangers in the middle of a production run and discontinued the old style hangers.
    Well thank you much, yeah I figured that I probably am just going to have to deal with it. Sucks but it is what it is I guess. My friend who owns the shop said dont lose sleep over it just poor finish on the frame but as long as I am clamped nice and tight with my QR I will be fine. He is on vacation so was waiting for him to get back to get his 2cents so thanks for the backup!

I had to use a file to get the one from my old kona frame to fit and even the back up. It turns out they are both the same hangers so luckily I have a few backups for mine and my girlfriends kona. I had a frame replacement on hers so still had her old hanger that I used to replace mine but other then removing a hair with the file it was the same. I kind of wanna buy one from BD site for the Gravity point 4 and see if there one sits flush. But the H Kona style should really fit the frame.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ian0789 View Post
    and used the DAG to get it set back up. worked like a charm but again once the rear wheel was taken off there was still small space.
    Did you use the F-AG to check the alignment of the frame?

But on the other hand, if the bike shifts just fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sometimes a nasty twist to a hanger can twist the frame where it mounts.

I have always been a strong proponent of replaceable hangers that break very easily. It can save a frame/swing-arm and certainly a derailleur. It's better to pay 30 bucks for a hanger than 100 or more for derailleur replacement (and we all know how much a new rear swing-arm might cost too).

I wish some manufacturers would get that through their thick skulls.

edited for clarity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    Did you use the F-AG to check the alignment of the frame?

But on the other hand, if the bike shifts just fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    That would be HAG - Hanger Adjustment Gauge

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    That would be HAG - Hanger Adjustment Gauge
    Well tomorrow my friend gets back from vacation once he gets settled in and catches up on shop work I will bring it in since I have never done a frame check to see if the drops need to be adjusted. I cant see it being that hard since he has all the tools but I have never had to do one so it will be a learning experience for me.

I email the company and they got right back to me saying if its tight and snug with the rear wheel on then it doesnt sound like a major problem. But if a little body work might be needed to reface the dropout so I am ok with that. When I bought the bike they said it had a bent hanger but maybe this whole time it wasnt the hanger but the drop outs. I did shave off some with a dremal so time will tell.

I am dealing with that and at the same time my FSA crank arm keeps coming lose after a ride or two. Its one thing after another with this bike. I feel like I have been spending more time tinkering and having bad luck with the bike then riding it. Thats a story of its own but its happen two times now and I took it apart and reinstalled it so waiting to see the outcome of that.