A re-newb question on riding styles....- Mtbr.com
    Good, green, Oregon.

A re-newb question on riding styles....

I am a former BMX racer and mountain biker that has been on an extended hiatus from the sport for about 12 years, but am jumping back in, and am excited to do so. I can say that since being gone from the sport for as long as I have, a lot of changes have occurred. What I am wondering is if someone can give me a brief rundown on the different riding “styles” that I am finding are out there. What I mean is X-Country, Downhill, Freeride, All Mountain, etc. I know each sub-forum for these styles has a mini description, but I am looking for something a bit more. My intrigue comes from wondering what I fit into now, or what style of riding I used to do. I mainly ride single track trails, with plenty of climbing, but the fun is the downhill on some more technical trails, but a jump or two or some speed isn’t a bad thing either. But back then, it was basically just mountain biking, not the more specific names that there are now.

The closest estimate that I would guess for the riding I did in the past was cross country, but then I was curious about all mountain too. I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 on layaway at the LBS, and it seems that it should suit my riding style the best. The 29er thing is new to me too, and I really like the concept and idea of it so far. I have ridden one only a handful of times at this point, and so far I like it and it feels comfortable. It reminds me of the Cruiser class when I used to BMX race…..bigger wheel set. Anyways, any insight you can provide to my newb-ish questions would be appreciated. Am I a newb being that I have done it before? How about a re-newb? That might be more fitting!

mtbr member
    In a nutshell, your description seems to fall between cross-country and all-mountain. It's not uncommon for this to be called "trail riding" these days either (the term being borrowed from the category of mountain bikes called "trail bikes", apparently--the do-it-all category with the widest current appeal). It would be fair to qualify yours as "aggressive trail riding", due to your preference for technical descents and your inclusion of jumps.

Coincidentally, Mountain Bike Action features a large "buyers' guide" section in their current issue, which goes beyond being just a catalog of bike models by type, but features several articles that give pretty rational and relevant explanations in response to questions like "what types of bike should I buy (by riding style and price range)", "what type of rider am I", etc., based on the most up-to-date meaning of the terminology (which is fairly fluid, actually). You might want to pick it up and take a look.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

Good, green, Oregon.
    Nice! Thanks for the info, and that is what I was looking for. I have picked up a few mags and have been all over the net reading to get caught up on the industry, and of course found this site. I will find that issue you suggested as it sounds like it will cover a lot of helpful information. I really like the changes I see since being gone, and it has me excited to get back on a bike. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    It's their February issue (Volume 27, Issue 2).
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.