Rain Gear For Winter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rain Gear For Winter

I was out riding the other day and got stuck in the middle of nowhere in a downpour. I only had a sweatshirt with me (stupid) and I don't want to be in that situation again. I have looked around the net and seen a few rain shells that looked good, I just wanted to find out what was tried and tested before I jump into a purchase. What do you use / would you reccomend it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Brooks makes great rain gear for running. Will probably work well for cycling as well.

mtbr member
    for when it just starts pouring, nothing beats a cheap 10$ poncho.

mtbr member
    I had in mind something more along the lines of a northface or patagonia rain shell that is water proof, breathable, has pit zips to dump heat, pockets. I am willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to get a good product, but the ones that I liked by these brands were upwards of $400 all the way up to $600. Does anyone know of a smaller company that would make an equal product but sell it for cheaper because you aren't paying for the brand?

mtbr member
    Depending on how much you sweat, a breathable membrane shell may or may not be a good to wear while riding. Fact is, they don't breathe nearly as well as an open weave fabric. And gore-tex is only average for breathability among membrane fabrics. eVent is one of the better ones. Also, you can get breathable membrane jackets for $100 these days. They may not have all the high end features or a well known name, but they offer similar membrane materials. Look online. Check out backcountry.com, altrec.com and others.

Another option for occasional rain protection is a thin synthetic fabric with a DWR (durable water repellent) coating. These are basically wind shells that offer moderate rain protection. Good for a shower, but not waterproof for extended periods.

If you want a shell that acts as a general use wind shell as well as rainwear, a light breathable membrane garment might be fine. But for protection against getting caught in the rain, the already suggested $10 poncho is a good idea.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    You could always get a cheap poncho in a bag that they sell at most fairs for $1. It comes in a little baggy and can easily stow away in a gear bag without needing much space. Cheap solution.

Professional Crastinator
    Lotsa people by me are wearing Endura.
    Me too.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

AZ
    banned
    Endura stuff is great, solidly constructed, comes in normal people sizes and competitively priced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

banned
    Sep 2012
    How about this?

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Depending on how much you sweat, a breathable membrane shell may or may not be a good to wear while riding.
    +1 on that.

I have a gore-tex windbreaker I wear around town. It's absolutely brilliant for walking, shopping, driving, stuff like that. I tried using it once when on my mtb and it totally cooked me, I was hot, uncomfortable and drenched. It works great for non-sweaty stuff, but sucks when you exercise.

For riding I use a Giordana Windtex jacket similar to this one Giordana Windtex Jacket over a long sleeve base layer Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew: Helly Hansen: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors.

It works brilliant, the base layer and jacket allows me to transfer sweat and heat away,leaving me nice and dry when riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    REI, not the flashiest of gear but for the price there in house Novara has worked really well.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    REI, not the flashiest of gear but for the price there in house Novara has worked really well.

^ This. ^

Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have a fabulously expensive Showers Pass jacket. I get rained on a lot, and I think it's worth it. The Elite 2.0. Before that, I had a Gore-tex Paclite shell. It sucked, and I finally said f' it and returned it. For me, having both pit zips and a really good fabric is key.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Spend the money. Showers Pass or Rapha. Worth it. Rapha is more form-fitting.

mtbr member
    I looked at the different shower pass jackets, and I'm not sold. I like the features of the shower pass elite 2.1, but I am not wild about the only color it comes in... goldenrod... and it doesn't have a hood. It would be nice to have a hood that could go either over or under helmet to keep water from going down back of neck and keep cold winds off of face. Also, how tough is it? I worry about falling and it ripping. Does anyone have any experience of this with the shower pass? And does anyone know if it is a 2 layer or 3 layer jacket? It did not say on the rei site

I like the way the shower pass rogue looks, but it isn't waterproof, so that defeats the purpose.

While I was looking for an explanation of the differences between different types of rain shells I stumbled across this blog post from a hunting company called Kuiu that does a great job of describing the different materials and types of rain shells on the market. It taught me a lot that I didn't know about rain shells!

The Chugach Jacket Building KUIU

At the top of the blog it talks about their product, but if you scroll down it shows a lot of the different testing they did with different materials and how each works. Pretty informative.

After I looked at that blog, I saw the suggestion for Endura gear. I had never heard of them before, but when I looked into them I saw the MT500 which is what I was looking for.

So I am going to have to decide between the Endura MT500 and actually the Kuiu Chugach from that blog. The reason it is between these two is they both seem essentially the same. I am actually leaning towards the Kuiu jacket because it has a better waterproof / breathability rating and it has 4 way stretch material that I have read great review about instead of stiff, plasticy material like most waterproof type jackets.

Sorry if this is a long post, just helps me to think out loud, and I like to get other people's opinions so I can make a well informed decision. After all this is going to be an expensive investment.

What do you guys think? I am still undecided...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Goldenrod just means "less eye-searing yellow." Actually not a bad color. I figure I'm a bit more visible than in my old, navy blue jacket, but without being as tasteless as the Cascade Bike Club members in my area. You can also do black or blue, or red if you get the 2.0. All this stuff is on their site. They say it's a 3-layer fabric. I don't really know what that means. My teammates like theirs, the fabric tests well, I figured it was worth a shot.

I haven't crashed in mine, so I don't know how well it does with that.

I usually wear a cycling cap when I ride in the rain, and I also have one with ear flaps. A cycling cap with ear flaps is one of my big tips for winter riding, actually. Really, I prefer my cycling shells (and ski shells) not have hoods. About the only time I use one is running back and forth between classes or walking errands. But if you want a hood, for $25, you can have a hood - it's an accessory.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0