Thread: Race Mechanic

mtbr member

Race Mechanic

Looking for a Race day mechanic. Wondering what the overhaul/retainer cost would be. Once I hire one, must be willing to travel. Not just stay in one county. I am completely serious, as I always have been. So cut the jokes and crap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    How can you afford a mechanic with all your medical bills?

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Are you sponsoring a pro team?
    Or do you just want someone to work on your bike at random events?
    How many events?
    Do you want a true pro mechanic or just a shop level guy?

mtbr member
    I'm not Pro. Any Team I'm on, I'm lucky to have next year at The Amateur level. Not sure just yet, have not worked out details and plans for my new race schedule in 2019 just yet. I need someone I can trust to keep me in the Race. I would hate to have to withdraw or finish with poor performance due to failures or breaks. (Such as what happened on Kitsuma to Jaretts Creek this year on the Hardtail. I know I could have gotten a much better time, but prolonged shifting delays, speed wobble and a broken fork suspension greatly impacted 3 of my 4 runs). I'll say both. I'll do a side by side comparison. I know MTB Race mechanics are not likely to be anywhere near the prices of Pro Stock Motorcycle overhead, which is 10k. But just so I can better decide and budget, please list Pro MTB Mechanic overhead and also expert shop mechanic level.

No known cure
    Mechanicals and DNF's happen. For me it's been flats. I once walked 11.5 miles of the Ashland 12 Mile Super D after double flatting on a knife edge rock with Stan's spraying everywhere. I also rode three miles with a front flat, heart pegged to secure a Cal St Super D Title. I had to finish better than sixth. I've also ran my bike passed the finish line to podium.

You could have your bike gone over the week before the race(no last minute adjustments). At larger venues, manufactures will provide support once the team is taken care of. I once had Magura flush and bleed my brakes for a chai latte. They even tossed in new pads and upgraded my levers/master cylinders.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    You're better off investing in a doctor who can help you with blood doping.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I never thought I'd see someone suggest cheating on here. No thank you. When I win, it's going to be all the new race bike and my own skill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Vader's idea is a good one. Have your bike checked a week before race day, and ride the bike once or twice before the race to ensure all the bugs are out. If you need a mechanic during a race, you're screwed anyway.

Also, another idea: instead of investing in a personal mechanic, invest in a nice race bike that is used mainly for races. Keep that bike running well and have a training or fun bike that you can beat on as an alternate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    ... I am completely serious, as I always have been. So cut the jokes and crap.
    We are not, so there will be jokes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'll do it for expenses plus $1k a day.

You are not to look directly at me or speak unless spoken to.

Out spokin'
    Looking for a Race day mechanic. Wondering what the overhaul/retainer cost would be. Once I hire one, must be willing to travel. Not just stay in one county. I am completely serious, as I always have been. So cut the jokes and crap.
    Id never consider any job without first knowing:
    1. Pay
    2. Hours &/or duration
    3. Location

Plus in this case Id need to know your race schedule and ability to pay. No jokes and crap in you response, please.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Is it April Fools Day already?

mtbr member
    Most team mechanics make about 50-60k and all travel is included. We're still talking about drag racing bicycles right?
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy View Post

hahahaha

since 4/10/2009
    Find a shop you trust. Take your bike in for a checkup and TLC more than a week before your next race (preferably a couple weeks). Rinse and repeat.

Can't afford that? Then do all the work yourself. Racing is expensive. Paying someone to be your personal race mechanic is not the cheap way out. But if you want to know what it's going to cost you, talk to some shop mechanics and see what they'd charge for a day or a weekend race as a side gig. Pretty sure you won't like it any more than you like the responses here.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Find a shop you trust. Take your bike in for a checkup and TLC more than a week before your next race (preferably a couple weeks). Rinse and repeat.

Can't afford that? Then do all the work yourself. Racing is expensive. Paying someone to be your personal race mechanic is not the cheap way out. But if you want to know what it's going to cost you, talk to some shop mechanics and see what they'd charge for a day or a weekend race as a side gig. Pretty sure you won't like it any more than you like the responses here.
    The price they quote it would be worth it for him to buy a number of duplicate bikes and have them tuned identical and handy for any break downs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I never thought I'd see someone suggest cheating on here. No thank you. When I win, it's going to be all the new race bike and my own skill.
    It helps to read Scott's replies with a sense of humor.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I'm looking to hire a mtbr joke writer. I'm completely serious as I always haven't been. Cut the crap jokes.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Land of the 230+
    Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

the discerning hooligan
    I don't think a pit mechanic is really what you need. What hard tail/ fork were you racing on? How much damage did you do? ( I read part of your other thread about the race...I kind of know). What you need first is a dependable bike that can hold up to gravity racing. It doesn't need to be an expensive or sophisticated bike. A simple, purpose built, bully of a bike is what you want.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    It doesn't need to be an expensive or sophisticated bike. A simple, purpose built, bully of a bike is what you want.
    Yup.

Even a really nice bike is still way cheaper than a personal mechanic.
    That's why you see a lot of people with nice bikes, but almost none with their own mechanic. If you can afford a mechanic, you can afford a really sweet ride that should be a lot less likely to need fixing in the first place.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't think a pit mechanic is really what you need. What hard tail/ fork were you racing on? How much damage did you do? ( I read part of your other thread about the race...I kind of know). What you need first is a dependable bike that can hold up to gravity racing. It doesn't need to be an expensive or sophisticated bike. A simple, purpose built, bully of a bike is what you want.
    He already has a sweet bike. It does everything he needs it to do, from drag racing to enduro to downhill. The only issue are the speed wobbles. Usually that can be fixed by a competent/impotent bike mechanic. Speed wobbles are the bane of any MTB'ers existence and something the bike designers has not eliminated.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Speed wobbles are the bane of any MTB'ers existence and something the bike designers has not eliminated.
    Speed wobbles and pedal strikes....almost don't want to ride bikes anymore....
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    He already has a sweet bike. It does everything he needs it to do, from drag racing to enduro to downhill. The only issue are the speed wobbles. Usually that can be fixed by a competent/impotent bike mechanic. Speed wobbles are the bane of any MTB'ers existence and something the bike designers has not eliminated.
    I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I found out that laying off the bottle pretty well eliminated the speed wobbles.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I found out that laying off the bottle pretty well eliminated the speed wobbles.
    If putting the bottle away lets you hold the bars with both hands, it's a big step forward.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    And I already regret posting. I see a vast majority of posts are idiotic and irrelevant. No wonder I took a break from forums. I see nothing really changed. Only a handful actually give real answers. Thank you, Harold , Sparticus and Humpy. For those that don't know, the Talon 3 was retired following the last race it was in, before the wreck on August 18th. I have a new race bike. Full suspension, dropper post, the works. Minus aftermarket upgrades, it is by default suitable for Enduro and mild to moderate downhill events.

mtbr member
    ... I see a vast majority of posts are idiotic and irreverent.
    fify
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    And I already regret posting. I see a vast majority of posts are idiotic and irrelevant.
    I am an idiot and quite irrelevant which helps explain my posts.

Anyway, to the point, I think there was some good advice about having your local shop mechanic go through the bike well before the race. And depending on where you're racing, there may be factory support around the race venue that you can turn to. For example, at Crankworx last summer, we had the Suntour guys fix up my wife's fork.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Your best bet is a mobile bike service like velofix.
    https://www.velofix.com/
    You could pay the local truck a fee to show up for your race.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Your best bet is a mobile bike service like velofix.
    https://www.velofix.com/
    You could pay the local truck a fee to show up for your race.
    It's not his best bet. Looks like the one nearest to him is in Atlanta, 200-300 miles away. Depending on the location of the race he's doing, it could be a day's drive away. I have no doubt that one of the Atlanta franchises would make that drive if he waved enough cash around as an enticement. But "enough cash" is the kicker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And I already regret posting. I see a vast majority of posts are idiotic and irrelevant. No wonder I took a break from forums. I see nothing really changed. Only a handful actually give real answers. Thank you, Harold , Sparticus and Humpy. For those that don't know, the Talon 3 was retired following the last race it was in, before the wreck on August 18th. I have a new race bike. Full suspension, dropper post, the works. Minus aftermarket upgrades, it is by default suitable for Enduro and mild to moderate downhill events.
    You seem to be confusing 'idiotic and irrelevant' with 'realistic and sensible'.

Almost no one has a dedicated mechanic all to themselves, including pros.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Wanna ride bikes?
    No location, discipline, timeline, or details of any sort. For all we know you're racing a tricycle in the Arctic Circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Humpy View Post

We should be friends. Also if you need a support mechanic I'll do it for $1k per day plus expenses. That happens to also be my price for friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'm looking to hire a mtbr joke writer. I'm completely serious as I always haven't been. Cut the crap jokes.
    I can smell you from here
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Industry standards are
    -$150/day
    -Travel, lodging + $50 day per diem.
    -10% of all prize money

Lots of capable mechanics out there.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    It's not his best bet. Looks like the one nearest to him is in Atlanta, 200-300 miles away. Depending on the location of the race he's doing, it could be a day's drive away. I have no doubt that one of the Atlanta franchises would make that drive if he waved enough cash around as an enticement. But "enough cash" is the kicker.
    I was just putting an example of velofix out there. There are lots of other services like that. We have a local guy Jake that goes to Northstar to race and wrench. He already has a stock of parts and the knowledge to fix most problems race day. Your location and price may vary.
    https://www.stxandstones.com/
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    I was just putting an example of velofix out there. There are lots of other services like that. We have a local guy Jake that goes to Northstar to race and wrench. He already has a stock of parts and the knowledge to fix most problems race day. Your location and price may vary.
    https://www.stxandstones.com/
    OP lives in western NC. I am unaware of any such service in this region. I am sure one could survive. There are plenty of other mobile businesses doing well enough in the region..

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    The price they quote it would be worth it for him to buy a number of duplicate bikes and have them tuned identical and handy for any break downs.
    Id like to reply for the OP on this seeing how hes lagging with responding.

Most excellent idea.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Or maybe I was at work and busy with things at the house until now. I can't give location or timeline, yet, because Most schedules are not even out yet. The rest of my offseason/preseason preps will be done the next 5 to 19 days.

Out spokin'
    Id like to reply for the OP on this seeing how hes lagging with responding.

Most excellent idea.
    Um... hey DJ, just sos ya know, ya replied to your own post again. Tho yer right, that is a good idea.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Wanted: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 91 Ocean View, WA 99393. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.
    This is comedic gold and about as realist as the OPs request given the fact his last bike was a $600 hardtail

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I got your man! PM Picard, not sure on cost but the guy is a genius writer.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    The thought crossed my mind for the OPs personal mechanic as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Finally, some solid advice on this thread. I wonder if he'll have time though, with his popular advice thread and what not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You know that mechanic's can't go out on the course to work on your bike ,right?

the discerning hooligan
    I see a vast majority of posts are idiotic and irrelevant.

For those that don't know... I have a new race bike. Full suspension, dropper post, the works. Minus aftermarket upgrades, it is by default suitable for Enduro and mild to moderate downhill events.

FWIW, many of us in this thread spend a fair amount of time in the Off Camber forum where idiocy and irrelevance are highly regarded. It keeps us humble and is great fun...if humble and fun is your thing you should stop by.

I was unaware that you had your "next level" bike....good for you. Two things to do now. Hang out at bike shops and learn everything that they will teach you. Then, work on riding smooth as often as you work on riding fast. Smooth is where you get to steal speed pumping the trail and preserve momentum staying loose and light through the rough patches. Smooth is good for your gear and smooth is fast.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    We're still talking about drag racing bicycles right?
    Who cares what someone wears when they race ... as long as they feel pretty.

mtbr member
    ^Lol, now I know why I stayed out of that thread.

FWIW, many of us in this thread spend a fair amount of time in the Off Camber forum where idiocy and irrelevance are highly regarded. It keeps us humble and is great fun...if humble and fun is your thing you should stop by.
    We could use some new blood over there.

Application:
    1] Must have a sense of humor.
    2] Willing to discuss any and all things under the sun within site rules. We even have A bike thread you can join in on.
    3] Must be willing to go off topic in any given thread at the drop of a hat and allow others to do as long as you eventually get back to the thread topic at hand.
    4] Willing to work for food.
    5] Willing to feed others lines of BS and able to take others BS without being offended.

If you fit 50 - 100% of these credentials please stop in and apply. Zero occupancy bite with vengeance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    You know that mechanic's can't go out on the course to work on your bike ,right?
    Yes. Many races I've competed in specifically prohibit assistance from non-racers.

the discerning hooligan
    It is my hope, when I dare to dream, that some day we will have every personality disorder represented in the OC...we have come so close so many times!
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member

Application:
    1] Must have a sense of humor.
    2] Willing to discuss any and all things under the sun within site rules. We even have A bike thread you can join in on.
    3] Must be willing to go off topic in any given thread at the drop of a hat and allow others to do as long as you eventually get back to the thread topic at hand.
    4] Willing to work for food.
    5] Willing to feed others lines of BS and able to take others BS without being offended.

If you fit 50 - 100% of these credentials please stop in and apply. Zero occupancy bite with vengeance.
    Id love to hang out in there... but it moves so fast I cannot keep up. Im... really slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    Id love to hang out in there... but it moves so fast I cannot keep up. Im... really slow.
    Yeah, me too. Of course it might make things easier if I wasn't three sheets to the wind all the time.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by unrealityshow View Post
    Id love to hang out in there... but it moves so fast I cannot keep up.
    None of us understand everything that happens down in the OC ( well, maybe Harold does ?), but it's our shared ignorance that binds us together as a community. We are a collegial party of the partially informed.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Um... hey DJ, just sos ya know, ya replied to your own post again.
    =sParty
    Upon rereading, I guess that was your point, DJ. Oops.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

the discerning hooligan
    So....mechanics, huh?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

=sParty
    I almost replied 3 times to myself just to see if anyone was paying attention.

Getting back the the Off Camber forum. Remember if you do decide to give it a try:
    'We are programmed to receive.
    You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!'

Out spokin'
    I almost replied 3 times to myself just to see if anyone was paying attention.
    LOL!
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

Wanna ride bikes?
    So....mechanics, huh?
    Awesome strap?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Awesome strap?
    I've been wearing mine all day....it's starting to chafe a little.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

since 4/10/2009
    None of us understand everything that happens down in the OC ( well, maybe Harold does ?), but it's our shared ignorance that binds us together as a community. We are a collegial party of the partially informed.
    what? f*ck no. I can only participate in a few discussions over there. otherwise, I'd go suicidal.

the discerning hooligan
    what? f*ck no. I can only participate in a few discussions over there. otherwise, I'd go suicidal.
    Playing it cool....just as I would expect.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Out spokin'
    Playing it cool....just as I would expect.
    Harolds got his hookers & blow empire to protect.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Or maybe I was at work and busy with things at the house until now. I can't give location or timeline, yet, because Most schedules are not even out yet. The rest of my offseason/preseason preps will be done the next 5 to 19 days.
    Build up a suitable bike. Get it sorted.

Go race. Pull PM. Ride. Race. Do PM. Rinse. Repeat.

Nutrailer
    I can see that there could be merit to dragsracer's idea

Race Mechanic-cycling-girls.jpg
    What a perfect waste of time

Why do I find myself repeatedly viewing that photo? I think its the wheels hanging on the wall thats got me intrigued.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycling-girls.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	1231265
    She obviously knows how to turn a wrench. Dragracer, hire this one if you can afford it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Bikesexual
    She obviously knows how to turn a wrench. Dragracer, hire this one if you can afford it.
    =sParty
    About 2k per night? I mean per race!
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Nutrailer
    This could be a new sideline for Harold's other 'business'.

since 4/10/2009
    This could be a new sideline for Harold's other 'business'.
    Good point. It would be a super niche thing, though. At least until the apocalypse in 2026. At that point, it'd probably be a growth industry.

Nutrailer
    Yep, Preppers would definitely be a target demographic.

mtbr member
    It's an expensive proposition to hire your own mechanic. Once you're on course, it's all or nothing. A repair would crush your time.

I could see having one for an endurance, multi-day event (or 24 hour solo event, for example). Having repair-skilled friends in the pits is a plus; that's saved us in many endurance events where you have more time to make repairs.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Your question was a joke, thus your responses are jokes... Lots of pro racers don't have a dedicated mechanic and the issues you experienced were because it was an entry level hardtail.

Attempt at a serious answer - Just take the bike in to a shop a week or two before each race to get checked out and most importantly start learning to do repairs yourself.

Professional Crastinator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cycling-girls.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	1231265
    What is up with her shoes?

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

-F
    She has shoes?

mtbr member
    Is that the poor gal that got her head stuck in an exhaust?

Rabid Lana fan

-F
    I don't believe that naughty girl is wearing any...socks.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    I think she is low on sealant...
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Nutrailer
    WTF, DJ's counting the wheels and you're checking her footwear??
    Next Jayem will be telling us her overalls aren't suitable for racing at this time of year.. 😁😁
    Last edited by JackWare; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:29 PM. Reason: Added amusement

WTF, DJ's counting the wheels and you're checking her footwear??
    Next Jayem will be telling us her overalls aren't suitable for racing at this time of year..
    There may be some underlying jokes in those posts. Her overalls seem to be just fine. There I go again.

Out spokin'

-F
    Her heels appear to be slightly elevated.

She must ride step-in pedals as opposed to flats. Either that or it's just her version of the attack position.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Nutrailer
    There may be some underlying jokes in those posts. Her overalls seem to be just fine. There I go again.
    Sorry I forgot the laughing emojis

Carry on 😁😁

the discerning hooligan

She must ride step-in pedals as opposed to flats.

She should move her cleats back, right?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Out spokin'
    I'm a step-in guy personally but everyone who rides platform pedals says you need to drop your heels. Personally I think she'd look even better in high heels.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Sorry I forgot the laughing emojis

Carry on 😁😁
    As did I. And yes I knew you were joking, just 3 glasses of wine in with my dinner.

Sneaker man
    just wondering, how many other people at these races have mechanics?
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    For the cost and hassle you may be better served by learning from a mechanic. There are certification courses that can be done fairly easily or ask a local shop if you can 'help' or intern a little for some basic training in that regard. A few weekends of that would likely set you farther ahead particularly in Enduro where a distance between points could prohibit outside assistance anyhow. Most issues are easily fixed in the field if you know how to do them.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    If she were my mechanic, I'd never leave the pit. I'd just keep breakin' stuff. Oops, there goes another spoke! My fork seems spongy, bounce on it and you'll see what I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Nat
    mtbr member
    =sParty
    Uh oh. Sparty's replying to his own posts now. Is this that Mad Cow Disease spreading?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    If she were my mechanic, I'd never leave the pit. I'd just keep breakin' stuff. Oops, there goes another spoke! My fork seems spongy, bounce on it and you'll see what I mean.
    OneSpeed action!
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    For the cost and hassle you may be better served by learning from a mechanic. There are certification courses that can be done fairly easily or ask a local shop if you can 'help' or intern a little for some basic training in that regard.
    This. You gotta be able to at least handle a certain level of mechanical stuff if you're going to ride more than occasionally, particularly when riding solo. My LBS does a series of workshops you can take a la carte for a reasonable cost, with sessions concentrating on everything from the most basic trailside fixes to wheel building and suspension tuning. Very cool IMO, if you can find somewhere in your area that does something similar.

Repair Classes — Tomten Biketown
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ this
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

CEO Product Failure

We the people ...

To the OP: start at your local shop and speak with the mechanics. Who knows, maybe one of them is racing as well? Offer them generous compensation plus beer and food.

Secondly, join USA Cycling. They offer several benefits which may help--I leave it to you to read up on these for yourself.

Otherwise, a full time pro mechanic does not come cheap. Unless you are a sponsored pro or trust-fund child, employing a full time mechanic may be not be realistic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I've never had one in the 20+ years of racing. At team events (ex. 24's, 6's, etc), we rely on each other for mechanical support.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

poser
    Once your schedule is established, call some shops that are local to where you're racing, see if you can pay a guys wages for a day to hang out and keep your bike cherry. Seems like a waste of money for a privateer though, and there's nothing wrong with learning to turn some wrenches yourself.

Professional Crastinator
    I'm not much of a racer, but when I've gone far away from help and support, I've made sure to stock my truck with spare parts which could include rims, spokes, brake levers, brake pads, tires, pedals, derailleurs, derailleur hangers, cables, chains, links, bolts, handlebar... and a spare shock and a spare fork would not hurt either if you're comparing those to the cost of a traveling mechanic. Heck, it might be easier to just bring 2 of the same bike, huh?
    But really, a mechanic without spare parts is just gonna drink all your beer.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.