quality of carbon seatpost- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

quality of carbon seatpost

Hey!

Any input based on experiences on the importance of a high-quality (high$) carbon seatpost vs middle of the road?

I'm more interested in ride quality than weight... Does a $75 seatpost get me most of the benefit of a $200 seatpost or is the difference more significant?

I'm looking at an Ergon CF3 @ >$200 vs a Richey/Easton at < $100 (for a gravel bike and cross bike on light XC trails, CF3 specifically not recommended for general MTB use).

Would love to save some money, but do want to maximize ride quality. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm not sure if this helps, but I bought a carbon FSA seat post off of Amazon for roughly $40 and I think it rides much better than the stock aluminum post that came on my 14' Crave.

mtbr member
    agree with above. i'm sure the science the manufacturer uses in laying the carbon and the quality of the carbon are relevant. i use the easton haven 2 bolt i got for $50 on pricepoint on my singlespeed and like it so much i ordered one for my trail bike build.

i use an almost $200 bontrager xXx on my F29carbon, and it didn't make any more of a "noticeable" difference than the $50 post.

please take note that my SS is steel and my F29 is carbon, so all was not constant regarding the above opinion, but you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd go with Easton. For carbon components, I wouldn't even think of risking personal injury to save $50-$100. Even if the competitors are 95%+ as good, why risk it? I got negged for the same type posted in another thread but it's still my opinion. Seat posts I'd say are less important than say handlebars or a stem that could seriously injure you if they broke, but I'd still go for a high end brand for carbon parts like that.

mtbr member
    Alias do you get paided to tell everyone to buy Easton? Stop crying about that other thread.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    Alias do you get paided to tell everyone to buy Easton? Stop crying about that other thread.
    1.) Not crying, I'm pointing out that it's idiotic to neg someone for having a different opinion than you. Opinions are almost the entire purpose this forum exists. There are THOUSANDS of "what bike/component/tire/etc should I buy?" which is almost entirely opinion based, unless you're telling someone they shouldn't use a road bike to ride downhill.

2.) If you look around like I did when I was researching opinions, you'll see that the overwhelming recommendation for carbon parts like bars/stems/posts goes to Easton, many saying damn near the same thing I did in the other thread and in here. I bought it and I'm thrilled with it, just sharing my experience.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    thanks for the feedback. one thing I was obviously not clear on... Easton is the "cheap" seatpost in my comparison. I've had a Ritchie, an Easton and a few cheapo carbon posts before and am wondering if a better post, like an Ergon CF3 or Syntace P6 is worth the higher cost, if my concern is ride quality. The Easton is the only one that has broken on me (light use, properly tightened), but I'm assuming this was an outlying incident.

Thanks again! Y'all think the ride quality of an Ergon or Syntrace is worth the extra dough?

mtbr member
    The extra $100+? No, in my opinion, not worth it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for all of the information. Sounds like the pricey ones are at most incrementally better, so any recommendations of a less expensive seatpost for a steel frame? A Ritchie Pro at $80-100, Easton EA 70 for a little more or a cheap Kalloy Carbon for $35 - Again, I'm more concerned with ride than weight.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Some of the higher dollar ones might be a little lighter.

mtbr member

Re: quality of carbon seatpost

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Some of the higher dollar ones might be a little lighter.
    This is true. My xxx is about 166 g and the haven is about 240 g.

mtbr member
    I purchased a syntace p6 hiflex carbon post for my hardtail and it was worth every penny. Ride in night and day smoother. A little crazy at first to look down and see the post flexing back and forth but no problems and a 10 year warranty! Personally I would never go back to having a cheap post on a hardtail again..

psycho cyclo addict
    Some have more flex than others... there are number of semi-cost effective ones that are quite good.

I run a Truvative T-30 on my single speed and had been running a Performance brand Forte (roadie post) on my hard tail. I just swapped in a setback Thomson on the hard tail to center the saddle rails and definitely notice less flex.

This was an excellent thread and well worth reading:

http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc-...ng-807357.html

WR304 posted an awesome graphic near the bottom of the 1st page of posts.

I like turtles
    You get what you pay for. My Niner RDO was the best $200 I spent on my bike in terms of comfort.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I paid 85 for my Easton Carbon Haven, it is pretty solid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ritchey WCS Carbon is what I use, and no looking back. Have had Ritchey posts for many years on many of my bikes and never had one fail. Easy to adjust....just a great design, been around for years. Same can be said for his bars, stems, I even like the saddles! Oh, almost forgot, frames ain't too shabby either

mtbr member
    Easton Ea70 was on sale on PricePOint for $60 few days ago. I got one.

mtbr member

Re: quality of carbon seatpost

Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    Easton Ea70 was on sale on PricePOint for $60 few days ago. I got one.
    Think it still was this morning.