Professional Crastinator

PSA: Look Out, Dude!

Nothing new here... I just have a bee in my bonnet about the situationally unaware... situationally oblivious...general obliviousness, unawareness, ignorance (that's all I could get from the synonym generator)...

This is not even in regard to my own selfish ends of riding unimpeded on a trail.

I'm talking personal safety. Get your ear buds turned down and pay attention before someone sneaks up on you and whacks you with a 2 x 4.

Seen (and walked right up on... out in the middle of the forest) some real airheads lately. The temptation to tap them on the shoulder is almost overwhelming, but we all know how that would go.

That is all.

-F

PS - the term "Dude" in the title is not meant to exclude any other genders
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Walking through life oblivious to everything is nothing new. Earbuds just increases the numbers is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

poser
    Makes you wonder what they're listening to. Beiber Fever?

CEO Product Failure
    Riders with earbuds (turned up to 11) are probably the same people who don't signal when driving, roll red lights and blast through stop signs. I deal with 10+ of these drivers daily. They are much more dangerous than oblivious earbud riders.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I love it when someone or a group of someones stops to rest in the middle of the trail, totally blocking passage.

mtbr member
    I recently had to pick up the SO at the university library. I was completely taken aback by the sheer number of kids walking along looking at their phone. Literally, at least 100 kids walking along in all directions like ants, and every single one of them mesmerized by their phones. I'm amazed they don't run into each other, or walk out into traffic, trip off a curb.

I wondered how many were just staring at it, so they wouldn't be singled out as a loser with nothing to check the status of/likes/tweets/stupid bs...

Admittedly, I'm getting old and live a sheltered life, but wtf.... it was weird.

One ring to mash them all
    Too bad train horns are a little impractical for MTBs.
    ITMFA

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I wondered how many were just staring at it, so they wouldn't be singled out as a loser with nothing to check the status of/likes/tweets/stupid bs...
    Swiping right probably, and getting more action than older generations ever did.

poser
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I love it when someone or a group of someones stops to rest in the middle of the trail, totally blocking passage.
    That sounds like half the people that I work with who love to just stand in the doorway like there's an earthquake going on or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Too bad train horns are a little impractical for MTBs.
    Here is the next best thing:

https://www.amazon.com/SAFETY-SPORT-...B8EDVC1AMV695P

Pro Crastinator
    get off my lawn!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It makes me shake my head that women especially are the worst offenders for this. On my commute to and from my local trails I ride along a rather secluded river path and without fail there are women walking the path with headphones in that don't respond to a loud af hope hub or a bike bell then proceed to jump out of their skin as I pass. All this not long after a prominent rape and murder case here in Australia that drummed up a lot of controversy from women in media claiming they constantly have to be vigilant and on the lookout for potential threats.

Here, diagonally!
    You forgot the part where they are taken completely off guard when another rider comes upon the group and would like to get by, as if it is something that only happens on very rare occasions, in far away lands...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    You forgot the part where they are taken completely off guard when another rider comes upon the group and would like to get by, as if it is something that only happens on very rare occasions, in far away lands...
    Yeah, and when you stop you have to actually ask to get by because they think you're there to enjoy their company.

At least when people do such things skiing you can spray them with snow as you go by.

Barely in control
    I don't even slow down for those people. They're just another obstacle to overcome when I'm in the zone.

mtbr member
    I recently had to pick up the SO at the university library. I was completely taken aback by the sheer number of kids walking along looking at their phone. Literally, at least 100 kids walking along in all directions like ants, and every single one of them mesmerized by their phones. I'm amazed they don't run into each other, or walk out into traffic, trip off a curb.

Admittedly, I'm getting old and live a sheltered life, but wtf.... it was weird.
    Here people walk in front of trains with increasing frequency. My buddy worked in Yosemite over the summer and several people stepped back off bridal veil with a selfie stick or just their phone. He's now working Dead Horse Point and already 2 people have stepped off trying to get a selfie.

I've told this several times here but will again. When the school year started I caught a "first day" montage on the news. Maybe 15-20 short clips of school kids in the hallways of schools across America. Literally every single kid was staring at a phone in every single clip of every single school. No one was interacting, no one. It was unsettling.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

always licking the glass
    PSA: donít be a trail tampon and block the flow.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

Wanna ride bikes?
    Only one earbud in the woods people. (targeting all the young people reading this. All both of them)

I have a bell on my cross bike as a courtesy to other Rail-trail/canal path users. The ones who hear the bell usually waive to say "thanks for the heads up" or "gotcha". Anyone blasting music in both ears would never get the message anyway and are usually startled when I go by, despite giving 2-3 audible warnings.

I like to listen to music in the woods when I'm riding alone, but I always only use one earbud. Hearing animals, wind, other trail users, the bike, or whatever is not just a courtesy but important for safety IMO. If someone was just slightly off-trail, injured, and calling for help you would never know it if you had both ears covered.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I wear earbuds when I want to ignore people, like at work.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride up behind them and announce in a loud-enough-to-be-heard voice, "HELLO!". I am not responsible for the heart attack that may follow.

The best ones are the bums riding across intersections while playing on their phones, second to the people playing on their phone while riding on the pathways I used to commute. I yell "PHONE!" when I get close enough that there is a hazard.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Sneaker man
    Yeah, and when you stop you have to actually ask to get by because they think you're there to enjoy their company.

At least when people do such things skiing you can spray them with snow as you go by.
    Yeah, there are a couple of climbs around here, not huge, heck if I can make it up them then they arnt hard, you get to the top and there's a group having a chat (I get having a regroup), filling up the trail, then you come riding up and they look at you in amazement because...wth your'e not stopping! How do you do a climb then not stop for 40 min at the top?

Came across a big group (20+) the other day, mostly beginners, the noobs were fine, giving space, letting past (and I was trying to slow and give them room, or jsut plain went the other way) but the leaders, were just oblivious hogging the trails (1 guy fixing a flat for someone in the middle of the trail and the 2 lead riders having a chinwag taking causing all the beginners to surround them to take up a whole 5m wide fireroad...uuuughhh.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtb'er
    strava-lava-ding-dong!

https://youtu.be/SyKi8tawlEY

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    strava-lava-ding-dong!

Moments like that I just shut up, drop into a higher gear and buzz em, or if I'm feelin' chatting I'd give a "DUDE, WTF!" as I pass when they stop in the middle of the trail. I've lost patience for people that can't acknowledge that there are other riders on the trail.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Interplanetary Poultry
    I've got to say though, calling out "STRAVA" is funny.

Interplanetary Poultry
    As annoying as that is, I find the guys who are leisurely strolling along having a conversation, yet refusing to yield the trail to be far more annoying. Mainly because I encounter that a lot more than the "trailside BBQ" meetings.

No known cure
    Nothing worse while racing than trying pass on singletrack while someone has two earbuds at 11. Or worse, they can hear you but their ego wont let you pass. That's when it's time for a tire buzz.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Moments like that I just shut up, drop into a higher gear and buzz em, or if I'm feelin' chatting I'd give a "DUDE, WTF!" as I pass when they stop in the middle of the trail. I've lost patience for people that can't acknowledge that there are other riders on the trail.
    When I finally get their attention (usually pedestrians), I let our my best impression of a loud mountain lion GROWL... while shaking my head as I finally pass by. I always wonder if they get my point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Uh, how about everyone of all ages doing this in downtown LA! My daughter goes to school there so spent a lot of time the past year roaming around downtown and wow, crazy how everyone is glued to phone either looking, talking, or has Air Pods in oblivious to surroundings.

Even my daughter has said it's freaky and sad, no one talks to you or interacts. Everyone is in their own bubble. That's depressing to me.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    That sounds like half the people that I work with who love to just stand in the doorway like there's an earthquake going on or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    It makes me shake my head that women especially are the worst offenders for this. On my commute to and from my local trails I ride along a rather secluded river path and without fail there are women walking the path with headphones in that don't respond to a loud af hope hub or a bike bell then proceed to jump out of their skin as I pass. All this not long after a prominent rape and murder case here in Australia that drummed up a lot of controversy from women in media claiming they constantly have to be vigilant and on the lookout for potential threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    As annoying as that is, I find the guys who are leisurely strolling along having a conversation, yet refusing to yield the trail to be far more annoying. Mainly because I encounter that a lot more than the "trailside BBQ" meetings.
    All of the above!
    And as far as being "vigilant and on the lookout for potential threats", isn't that life? Self-preservation? It's not just for women.

-F

Turns right to go left
    Name:  2qcvaz.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  36.5 KB

Upcyclist
    What's the big deal?

Sent from my iPhony using Tapastalk
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    With apologies to Reinhold Niebuhr.

Grant me the serenity to accept clueless morons I cannot change, courage clue in those I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Early last season I came across a guy and his dog taking a nap in the middle of the Templeton trail on a blind narrow corner. Not sure how I did not run over one of them.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    strava-lava-ding-dong!

I laughed so hard milk came out of my nose, and I wasn't drinking milk. Ok, maybe it was snot.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

slow
    PSA:  Look Out, Dude!-0427162001.jpg

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hmmm... I wonder how things would play out if we were to insert ourselves into their conversation?

"Yeah I totally agree! That dude's such a lousy father. His kids are such brats!"

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I like to start with a gentle 'hello, I'd like to pass on your left when it's safe' then work my way up to screaming lyrics to 80s sitcom theme songs and the like. Pretty fun to see how absurd I can get with it before they notice.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Only one earbud in the woods people. (targeting all the young people reading this. All both of them)
    Nah, you don't get to give me rules when I'm in the woods (or ever?). I wear both earbuds, but at a volume that I can just about any sound around me... Mostly because I have found that you will miss many cool animal encounters if you aren't listening. How sad to think that many go right past a beautiful creature without knowing because their Taylor Swift is up too loud.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    PSA: donít be a trail tampon and block the flow.
    Classic!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I wear earbuds when I want to ignore people, like at work.
    I wear them almost all the time, save group rides or races of course. Road, trail...wherever. Never been an issue for me.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    With apologies to Reinhold Niebuhr.

Grant me the serenity to accept clueless morons I cannot change, courage clue in those I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
    I'm pretty sure I passed by a PBS doc last night on him.
    You can't get a suntan on the moon...

mtbr member
    That is the best.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Swiping right probably, and getting more action than older generations ever did.
    Not according to some recent studies/statistics.

mtbr member
    https://www.theonion.com/report-aver...-wa-1819576771

It's from the Onion but it's still pretty accurate for a lot of people.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post

Don't even get me started on the "let's-step-just-outisde-this-busy-doorway-and-have-a-conversation" thing. Totally OT.

-F

Bikesexual
    People are selfish, bottom line. I only bring music to a trail if its off hours and I know traffic will be minimal. On the gravel bike, I do bring music but one side only.

These idiots don't hear you, and then freak out when you pass them, even though I've been yelling from a mile way.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    People are selfish, bottom line. I only bring music to a trail if its off hours and I know traffic will be minimal. On the gravel bike, I do bring music but one side only.

These idiots don't hear you, and then freak out when you pass them, even though I've been yelling from a mile way.
    Not only are a lot of people selfish, but they just don't think, or they're in their own little world and completely oblivious. I say scare the crap out of them and maybe they'll learn!

I find it amusing to see what kinds of noises I can make to get peoples attention. It's usually on the multi-use paths where I'm not in any rush anyway.

https://youtu.be/0cVlTeIATBs
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post

LOL. The Onion is THE most trusted news source! Used to fly to Madison every week for work in a past life and it was passed around the office. Good stuff.