Which Pro Racers Have You Met? Were They Cool? - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    I went to Sea Otter Classic 2019, my first MTB event (Saturday only). I watched the Men’s and Women’s Pro Slalom.

As the men were being announced to start I recognized Phil Kmetz AKA Skills with Phil. I just wanted to wish him luck as I didn’t want to bother him. I said “hey Phil, good luck on your race today”. He walked up to me, shook my hand and said thanks. Then told me how he barely qualified 30th & 32 were racing that day. He told me the other racers were really fast and that he was not going to do well against the competition. I said that all he could do is ride his bike and have fun, and he agreed. He then asked if I wanted a selfie with him. I told him It’s not my thing, but I said sure why not. I pulled out my phone and he grabbed it and took a couple of photos. He seemed to be just like he is on YouTube.
    Last edited by Special18; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Phil Kmetz is one of my favorite Youtube guys and I'm not into the whole Youtuber thing!

Through a series of random occurrences, I ended up building trails with Alex Bowers (aka The Singletrack Sampler) at one location, then riding with him at another location about a week later. He's the same exact person he is on Youtube. All around genuine person. Side note: he definitely knows how to ride a bike.

banned
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    agreed.

on the flipside all the cool stories about Emily Batty being so down to earth are certainly heart warming.
    Of course she's nice. She's canadian.

She's a top tier fighter too. Tough not to root for her.

banned
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    agreed.

on the flipside all the cool stories about Emily Batty being so down to earth are certainly heart warming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I'm a bit surprised but I'm not discrediting your experience. The person you are referring to definitely needs a wake up call, a rider of her caliber is a role model for women world wide, on and off the bike.
    She's lived in a bubble of privilege her entire life. She grew up in a multi-millionaire household. She had access to a huge trail system right in her backyard in marin county. She never had to want for the best equipment and nicest bikes in a sport where pro level bikes cost $15K to $17K. She was admitted to Stanford.

She's in a position now where no one is willing to correct her behavior. Her immature attitude could come back to bite her in the rear end. Then again, she might remain in a bubble for the rest of her life.

By way of contrast, I happened to be passing by when Danny McCaskill was signing hats and giving them away. Dude was as humble and as self effacing as could be. The contrast was startling.

I also met another pro male racer (don't recall his name). Dude was again, friendly as could be. Asked me a bunch of questions. Was angling to try to give me stuff but I answered honestly and told him I was not racing. :-) He looked sad lol.

Oddly, the only people I've had problems with in an autograph line were women. They're the only ones I've seen go ballistic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Helped out a pro last week that had busted his chain on the final pedal into town, didn't catch their name, to me it's just another rider in another race (my race was the day before).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Apr 2019
    MacAskill is one of the most humble people I've ever met, yet he's capable of this. Hold on to your butts:

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Had the opportunity to ride and hang out with Cam Zink (and his partner Cody) for a day a few weeks back. Cam and Cody started a non-profit trail building company and our association flew them in so we could have them quote us for building a new flow trail. We walked/rode the proposed area and he had a lot of great ideas we didn't even think about. They were both super nice and very laid back, not arrogant at all which was nice. It was like hanging out with an old friend, who just so happens to be a world class Freerider.

2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    I ran into Kate Courtney about six months back (post-Worlds but pre-Scott) on a training (fun?) ride at the local XC loop and thought she was cool as heck. We chatted for a few minutes on a climb and I totally hung on her rear wheel until she dropped me with a quickness on the downhill. She was super chill about the whole world champion thing and friendly.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mysharona View Post

I'd say it's more of a female thing rather than a pro rider thing.
    Your opinion of an interaction with a rider and some barrrista's is one thing but a sweeping dismissal of an entire gender is not acceptable. Maybe it's not them...

banned
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Your opinion of an interaction with a rider and some barrrista's is one thing but a sweeping dismissal of an entire gender is not acceptable. Maybe it's not them...
    Barista, not barrista. Let's not denigrate this fine profession by misspelling the term.

And since we are talking facts, I had no problems with any of the male BARISTA's I interacted with. Nor did I have problems with any of the "famous" male riders and racers I interacted with.

Maybe it IS them...

Facts must be sexist. Let's just ignore them. Yeah, that'll work!

The (mis)spelling of a coffee house employee wasn't my point so I'll spell it out clearly:

Keep the sexist opinions to yourself and stop with the trolling posts of other members.

https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedbac...s-1077662.html

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Claims he will "find somewhere else to kill time." Comes back and posts five more times in five minutes in the same thread. SMH
    Always hard to look away from a train wreck. I have to admit I'm fascinated by internet trolls, particularly those like you that don't seem to even know they are trolling.

How you can oscillate between saying that you are not accustomed to riding off road and talking as though you are an authority on off-road riding is truly fascinating.

He's gone for a while so can't reply for 7 days.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Always hard to look away from a train wreck.
    Someone call my name? Was off to a good start, seems like this thread has derailed quite a bit though. Maybe we can just have page 2 deleted

Someone call my name? Was off to a good start, seems like this thread has derailed quite a bit though. Maybe we can just have page 2 deleted
    Give me a chance It should be a lot better now.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    He's gone for a while so can't reply for 7 days.
    Maybe he'll try out mountain biking during that time!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And this poseur climbs the steepest climbs in a 32x28.
    "The steepest"!

LOL!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Living near Bonelli and racing there it's easy to meet lots of Pros. I have yet to meet one who acted like an A-Hole so I guess I've been lucky. Some of the ones I've got to talk with below...

Chatted with and taken pics w Emily Batty a few times. Just wow.
    Aaron Gwin got to ride with him at Bonelli during a demo event and he was a class act all the way
    Todd Wells could not have been nicer and is a legend in my eyes
    Tinker always down to earth and raced with him (he was in a higher CAT than I but we were on course together). He is still kicking serious ass on a bike
    Ralphael Gagne (SUPER cool)
    Chris Blevins (very cool and a rising star)
    Luke Vrouwenvelder (really nice and serious potential for World Cup not unlike Blevins)

Oct 2014
    Was told there was an emergency...

Which Pro Racers Have You Met? Were They Cool?-jpgroupcompflatndsm.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Brian Lopes is really cool and down to earth.

Cody Kelley is awesome as hell. Really really nice and gracious to my kid who is a huge fan.

Kenny Belaey is in our area a lot and is super nice, as is his wife/partner Fien. It’s pretty awesome to be just hanging at a community ride and look over and see the Red Bull helmet.

Jimmy Smith (a little lesser known) is also awesome and down to earth. Just a really fun guy.
    Last edited by hogfly; 1 Day Ago at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    Was told there was an emergency...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPgroupcompFlatndSm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	1252509
    SQUAD.

that guy kneeling definitely served in the infantry.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Brian Lopes is really cool and down to earth.
    That's good to hear, he doesn't always come off that way from stuff I've seen.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lopes-...all-about.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    That's good to hear, he doesn't always come off that way from stuff I've seen.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lopes-...all-about.html
    Well... by "cool and down to earth," I guess I mean that he's just walking around like a normal dude at the events I've seen him at, which are admittedly pretty informal and low key. He isn't overly friendly or gregarious, though. Seems like the kind of guy who enjoys sitting around a campfire drinking a few beers and talking quietly more than being in large social situations.

Up In Smoke
    The guy was in his last set of clothes and didn't want to be travelling smelling like booze. The stories line up, GK is kind of the guy that's coming off as an A-hole in that story.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    Well... by "cool and down to earth," I guess I mean that he's just walking around like a normal dude at the events I've seen him at, which are admittedly pretty informal and low key. He isn't overly friendly or gregarious, though. Seems like the kind of guy who enjoys sitting around a campfire drinking a few beers and talking quietly more than being in large social situations.
    My people! It must be difficult to be quasi-famous for those types. I guess I'm glad I'll never know?

The guy was in his last set of clothes and didn't want to be travelling smelling like booze. The stories line up, GK is kind of the guy that's coming off as an A-hole in that story.
    True, but I'd argue that BL brought it on himself by running from the first podium. Doesn't every second and third place racer in every major race get soaked? In my experience when you get singled out for something like this it's because you are taking yourself too seriously, that seems to be the case here... Let them soak you, laugh about it and be a good sport and you won't have to worry about it after.

I don't think he is a jerk for this at all, just sounds like he's maybe not the most fun to be around. Also, doesn't he have a long history of stuff like this?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My wife has race XC professionally for the last 15 years and her being a bit of a social butterfly means that I have met and ridden with a great deal of the pro-field. I have some stories.

My favourite was from last summer. A guy from Spain who shares the same sponsor as my wife came over to BC to do single track 6. I knew that he was a retired racer but didn't really know his background.

He is at our place and building his bike, I look and he is running 2.0Ikons (I didn't know they came that small) and a straight post. Me being your typical arrogant BC rider, suggests that he installs bigger tires and a dropper post. The next day I take him out on our local trails and quickly become aware that this guy can ride. I have pretty well ridden with the best business and this guy had the smoothest touch I have ever seen. He could descend incredibly fast without even really trying.

Later that night over beers we are chatting about races and it comes up that he had won MSA world cup DH. I find a reason to leave the room and do a bit of research, Tommi Misser it turns out was one of the best DH riders in the world in the late 90s.

Super nice guy, with most well behaved kids I have ever met.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    thats a good story.

Flat Pluto Society
    Back when they had races at Mammoth, I stole a MM food tray from the cafeteria, took it to Ned Overend and asked him to sign it. He gave me a questioning look, shrugged and signed. Still have the tray.

Being an old fart, I've met many a racer, but the sweetest was Susan DeMattei. I used to write a newsletter for the local mtb club, and she would have me send them to her, and she would make encouraging remarks.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Back when they had races at Mammoth, I stole a MM food tray from the cafeteria, took it to Ned Overend and asked him to sign it. He gave me a questioning look, shrugged and signed. Still have the tray.

Being an old fart, I've met many a racer, but the sweetest was Susan DeMattei. I used to write a newsletter for the local mtb club, and she would have me send them to her, and she would make encouraging remarks.

I remember being at a race in Mammoth circa 1994’ish and eating at the base lodge. I went to the bathroom and came back to all my food tossed across the food table and my tray was missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    My wife has race XC professionally for the last 15 years and her being a bit of a social butterfly means that I have met and ridden with a great deal of the pro-field. I have some stories.

My favourite was from last summer. A guy from Spain who shares the same sponsor as my wife came over to BC to do single track 6. I knew that he was a retired racer but didn't really know his background.

He is at our place and building his bike, I look and he is running 2.0Ikons (I didn't know they came that small) and a straight post. Me being your typical arrogant BC rider, suggests that he installs bigger tires and a dropper post. The next day I take him out on our local trails and quickly become aware that this guy can ride. I have pretty well ridden with the best business and this guy had the smoothest touch I have ever seen. He could descend incredibly fast without even really trying.

Later that night over beers we are chatting about races and it comes up that he had won MSA world cup DH. I find a reason to leave the room and do a bit of research, Tommi Misser it turns out was one of the best DH riders in the world in the late 90s.

Super nice guy, with most well behaved kids I have ever met.
    I can't help but think he'd be faster without a seatpost in his arse...

mtbr member
    I know this is gonna start some shit, but Lance Armstrong has been pretty cool the last few times I've had the chance to hang out and chat with him. My wife grew up in the same town he did in Texas and has always been a huge fan. I was always kind of like, meh, can do with or without, but after having met him and been lucky enough to party at his house in Aspen, I gotta say the dude is pretty cool.
    Which Pro Racers Have You Met? Were They Cool?-lance.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jbadger1977 View Post
    I know this is gonna start some shit, but Lance Armstrong has been pretty cool the last few times I've had the chance to hang out and chat with him. My wife grew up in the same town he did in Texas and has always been a huge fan. I was always kind of like, meh, can do with or without, but after having met him and been lucky enough to party at his house in Aspen, I gotta say the dude is pretty cool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lance.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	1252764
    Lance comes and rides MTB in our area some (he rode the Oztrails Epic last October), and he's always pretty cool from all accounts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12