Privateer 161: Anyone have one yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Privateer 161: Anyone have one yet?

I havenít seen much discussion on the Privateer 161 yet here on mtbr, and certainly havenít seen a thread on them yet. thought Iíd post one up and get the discussion going.

For those that havenít heard of Privateer, they are a new smaller company owned by the same company that owns Hunt wheels. The 161 is their first bike, and itís defining traits are really progressive geo, designed for ease of maintenance, and really high value (frame with shock is $1500ish, complete build with Lyrik ultimate And 12 speed SLX is $3100).

Iíve been seriously considering the 161, but there isnít much rider feedback on them yet, and I canít exactly demo one.

Iím especially curious about sizing, and ride feedback. For sizing Iím torn. If I size on reach compared to my current bike, I should get a size P3. But sizing by ETT, I should buy a P4 (Iím 6í1Ē).

So, does anyone here have one? Planning on picking one up? Know someone with one?

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    I have a couple rides on mine (P3) and so far Iíve been pretty stoked with it. Iím 6í2Ē and went with the P3 because I prefer a more agile bike With a shorter wheelbase. The steep ST angle really makes it an efficient climber. Only downside to the steep ST is that thereís more weight on your arms when riding rolling terrain but thats not what itís designed for anyway. Coming from a Yeti SB6, the Privateer feels more planted, the suspension feels way more plush and generally much more stable at speed.

mtbr member
    I wasnít sure Iíd ever hear back from anyone. Thanks for the feedback.

Where do you live/ride, and what kind of trails are you usually riding?

Iím in Western Washington, and while not everything here is super steep, we definitely have that here. Enough that my Kona Process feels a bit more sketchy than Iíd like at times.

Iíve read the whole ďsteep seat tube angle makes for pressure on your handsĒ thing. I kind of wonder if thatís because people are sizing on reach, and not on ETT.

Iím hoping to demo a Norco Sight, or Transition Sentinel sometime this year. Both are different, but are much closer to the privateers geo than my kona. Enough that I might get an idea of what I want to do in terms of sizing.

And Iím also mildly curious to see what their next bike is. The rumors say a 141mm travel ďtrailĒ bike, which might also work for me.

warriorpoet
    Sep 2008
    I live in Southern California so Iím lucky to have plenty of steep and chunky trails nearby.
    Iíve also heard Privateer may be coming out with a 140 trail bike this summer. Their 161 now has a long waitlist so not sure if that will affect the release of their trail bike.