Prescription Sunglasses- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Prescription Sunglasses

What do you slightly nearsighted guys use? I'm getting tired of wearing my Maui Jims out there...

mtbr member
    I bought a pair this year - got the least expensive plastic frames I could get and really enjoyed them.....right up to the point where I dove in the river with them on.....doh!

mtbr member
    Check with a good ophthalmologist. They aren't cheap, but I was told by my ophthalmologist that they can make lenses for quite a few frames these days including Oakley. You buy the glasses where ever you like and they make new lenses for them. You may want to check out Rudy Project frames. Rudy Project specifically markets prescription lens availability. I personally live with slightly blurry vision because I would hate to wreck an expensive set of prescription sunglasses.

responsible zombie owner
    I have an old pair of Oakley Frogskins with dark red prescription lenses. They're not cycling specific but they do the job and the frames just keep on keeping on even after being trodden on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have rx sunglasses and think that it's better to buy contacts and put sunglasses over them. i only say this because my rx sunglasses that I spent a lot of money on, are now scratched so badly that I don't want to use them for riding.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

homemade

I have a set of prescription sunglasses that are useless for riding. Useless because they are fashionable with small lenses. Ditto for my regular glasses. I've used contacts and safety glasses and I can't see with them up close if someting breaks or needs adjustment. I'm 47 so normally I'll just take off my glasses to see up close.

Anyways, after seeing someone on the trail wearing prescription lenses siliconed to a nice set of sunglasses and fiding out they were $400, I made my own for $18. Got a pair of safety sunglasses, a tube of silicone, and a set of quite large lenses from an old set of my glasses and went to town. Tried them out on the weekend, they worked perfect.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru
    I have a set of prescription sunglasses that are useless for riding. Useless because they are fashionable with small lenses. Ditto for my regular glasses. I've used contacts and safety glasses and I can't see with them up close if someting breaks or needs adjustment. I'm 47 so normally I'll just take off my glasses to see up close.

Anyways, after seeing someone on the trail wearing prescription lenses siliconed to a nice set of sunglasses and fiding out they were $400, I made my own for $18. Got a pair of safety sunglasses, a tube of silicone, and a set of quite large lenses from an old set of my glasses and went to town. Tried them out on the weekend, they worked perfect.

Drew
    I got a pair of sunglasses from Performance. They have 3 interchangeable lenses and then the prescription piece snaps into the frame. IAll in all I think I have $50 invested in them.
    https://www.performancebike.com/bike..._1024720_-1___

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

zenni optical

I have not tried these but if I needed glasses when riding I would definitely give them a try.

You fill in your prescription from your optometrist and then they make them overseas and you get them in about 3 weeks.

$26 bucks plus shipping.

http://www.zennioptical.com/#/?gclid...FUbf4AodAToHmA

You need to select goggles.
    TEX

I hate that name.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Kaishingo
    I just priced out some prescription lenses for my Oakley Flak Jackets. $350 for just the lenses!!!

These are the first sport glasses I've had fit my face normally (got the Asian Fit glasses since I'm, well, Asian) so I'd rather not let them go.

Anyone know if a standard lens shop can copy the Oakley shape for just a teeny bit cheaper? I suffer through limited vision right now, but I'd love to get back into night riding...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have two pairs of Rudy's, each pair bought both with flex spending $$ leftover at the end of the year (different years).

Kaishingo
    Gonna try these guys out as soon as I find my prescription.

For that price, I'll use them for riding only at night. Plus if they scratch/break, I'm out $30, as opposed to $400!!!

And to everyone with your fancy health insurance/vision plans...

Quote Originally Posted by texas
    I have not tried these but if I needed glasses when riding I would definitely give them a try.

You fill in your prescription from your optometrist and then they make them overseas and you get them in about 3 weeks.

$26 bucks plus shipping.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Prescription recspecs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    I went through them and was very happy with the purchase. Good customer service. Yes, they were stupidly expensive. Close to 400 for Oakley Flak Jackets with persimmon lenses. But its been worth it for the most part. I just find that my ear pieces have loosened and I can't see if there is a screw in there to tighten. I should figure that out. But that's a frame issue, the lenses from them have been great.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you have vision insurance through work (VSP is the best) most any good optician/optometrist should be able to hook you up. Nike actually makes pretty decent riding glasses (check out the Veer) with interchangeable lenses. Most labs can tint lenses any color you want, though I find rose #2 to be the most versatile for riding.

mtbr member
    Maui Jim Now Makes Sunreaders. ($200)
    I can read my GPS.
    I dont damage expensive glasses as long as I always use a croakie

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    I just recently got glasses/contacts for astigmatism. My prescription is to improve my distance vision.

I did wind up getting a set of Oakley Tightrope frames w/ blue iridium lenses from Oakley for ~ $330 (had $300 of FSA left to blow come the end of the year). They are quite nice, but I don't intend to use them for cycling as they are metal frames, the top bar seems like it might obstruct vision when leaned over, and the tint is a bit too aggressive for 99.9% of my riding. Apparently their new lens cutting process is designed to deliver consistent prescription across your entire field of vision and so far seem to actually deliver on the claim.

Unfortunately, my optometrist had incorrectly told me that Oakley wouldn't cut prescription lenses for the Jawbone frames. Had I known that they do, I probably would have ponied up the additional cash for a set of those w/ a couple sets of vented lenses. The frames seemed to fit really well and provide full coverage w/o blocking vision and I really like the lenses on the Tightropes.

As it is, I've been wearing my daily disposable contacts and my Tifosi's w/ either the amber photochromatic, active red, or clear lenses for cycling and it's worked out pretty well so far. I definitely feel I have a significantly clearer picture of the trail than w/o them.

turtles make me hot
    I ride with Wiley X Bricks. The frames can be had for around 70 bucks. I just bought new prescription polarized, grey lenses for 199. Rode with my last pair for 3 years.
    From SafetyRX, I just ordered a pair of the same frames in a clear color with clear lenses for night use. They came in under 200 bucks complete.
    I still may check out that zennioptical for another pair of night glasses. Price is right.
    I like turtles

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by texas

$26 bucks plus shipping.

+1 on zennioptical! I've bought several pairs of glasses from them; Dark lenses, amber and yellow. The aviator style was 9 buck + 4 for tinting and they have THOUSANDS of frames. As cheap as cheap sunglasses but the lenses are of good quality. I tried their goggles, which were junk.

Make sure you have a complete prescription that includes the pupillary distance (PD), or you can read their instructions online to get a ballpark measure.

Prices are from like $6-$30.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so i thought having rx sunglasses would be a great idea, not so much. first off, rain and mud will absolutely RUIN your glasses over short periods of time. Then assuming that your glasses aren't ruined, they will be scratched up and hard to see through. I would rather opt to get contacts and wear sunglasses.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast
    so i thought having rx sunglasses would be a great idea, not so much. first off, rain and mud will absolutely RUIN your glasses over short periods of time. Then assuming that your glasses aren't ruined, they will be scratched up and hard to see through. I would rather opt to get contacts and wear sunglasses.
    http://www.c-clearantifog.com/index....FcNM4Aod9yjMIA

I use this stuff. It really helps the lenses last by not allowing stuff to stick to them, kinda like Rain X.
    I like turtles

Kaishingo
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast
    I have problems with dry-eyes, and gave up on contacts years ago (I figured out riding slightly blind was better then completely blind and burning eyes!) I'm told that the newer contacts are a lot better, but I'm not going to invest $500+ for the ones I need - I also was excellent at losing/tearing them in the past.

Luckily, my vision isn't horrid. I can get by without glasses, just have issues making out shapes at a distance. Again, $25 RX glasses are much more disposable then disposable contact lenses!

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    I have problems with dry-eyes, and gave up on contacts years ago (I figured out riding slightly blind was better then completely blind and burning eyes!) I'm told that the newer contacts are a lot better, but I'm not going to invest $500+ for the ones I need - I also was excellent at losing/tearing them in the past.

Luckily, my vision isn't horrid. I can get by without glasses, just have issues making out shapes at a distance. Again, $25 RX glasses are much more disposable then disposable contact lenses!
    $500+ for contacts ?!?! Jeebus...

From talking to friends and co-workers, mine are somewhat expensive @ $120 for 90 pair and manufacturer guidelines say you can wear each pair for 4 days before tossing them. I generally wear my glasses at work or when I know I'm going to be driving a lot at night, but there seem to be an awful lot of situations where glasses are pretty inconvenient for me.

After the first few days of getting used to the contacts I very rarely notice that they're in aside from being able to see better. Might be worth re-investigating your options, your optometrist should be able to hook you up w/ a 10 day supply of the super soft daily disposables for free assuming they're available for your prescription.

Kaishingo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    $500+ for contacts ?!?! Jeebus...

From talking to friends and co-workers, mine are somewhat expensive @ $120 for 90 pair and manufacturer guidelines say you can wear each pair for 4 days before tossing them. I generally wear my glasses at work or when I know I'm going to be driving a lot at night, but there seem to be an awful lot of situations where glasses are pretty inconvenient for me.

After the first few days of getting used to the contacts I very rarely notice that they're in aside from being able to see better. Might be worth re-investigating your options, your optometrist should be able to hook you up w/ a 10 day supply of the super soft daily disposables for free assuming they're available for your prescription.
    Astigmatism's a *****! I might be exageratting. But it was definitely in the $3-400 range when I last saw the optometrist. And for I think 5 which you could stretch out a year if you're careful. I last bought contacts in college, and the price was similar. I gave up on them after I lost/tore all 5 in the space of a month. On a college budget, you learn to adapt very quickly.

Again, I hear contacts have gotten a lot better in terms of comfort, but that amount of money buys a lot of shiny bike parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    Astigmatism's a *****! I might be exageratting. But it was definitely in the $3-400 range when I last saw the optometrist. And for I think 5 which you could stretch out a year if you're careful. I last bought contacts in college, and the price was similar. I gave up on them after I lost/tore all 5 in the space of a month. On a college budget, you learn to adapt very quickly.

Again, I hear contacts have gotten a lot better in terms of comfort, but that amount of money buys a lot of shiny bike parts.
    I think you might be referring to RGP contacts which are pricey. I have astig as well and have not found a great torex lens that will stay in the right place while riding.. I prefer contacts for riding but sometimes they are a big PITA - like when you're flying down a mtn and you can't see because the friggin lens rotated just a smidget.

I recently got a pair of the Wiley-X glasses (I think the Jake or the Airborne) and they are light adjusting. I like them a lot so far but I'm not sure they'll cut it in the summer when sweat gets everywhere (yes, I use a headband and it still gets on sunglasses). I also have a really nice pair of Action Optics which are polarized and photocromatic - I use those for fly fishing.

The really cool thing Wiley-X can do that Oakley, Smith/Action Optics and most others can't - is still get the RX in a wraparound style lens for those of us with the jacked up axis.

banned
    I just received a pair of prescription riding glasses from Zenni Optical for $30.90 shipped (nice case included). They don't quite fit the bridge of my nose properly. But, for $30 I'm not going to complain.

Style #700221 ($25.95)
    1.57 Mid-Index lenses
    No add-ons
    S&H $4.95

Total $30.90

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I just received a pair of prescription riding glasses from Zenni Optical for $30.90 shipped (nice case included). They don't quite fit the bridge of my nose properly. But, for $30 I'm not going to complain.

Style #700221 ($25.95)
    1.57 Mid-Index lenses
    No add-ons
    S&H $4.95

Total $30.90
    What's your opinion on the quality of the prescription section? I like what you ordered and they look like they'd be suitable for night riding.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    What's your opinion on the quality of the prescription section? I like what you ordered and they look like they'd be suitable for night riding.
    The prescription is accurate. I have a fairly strong script (-4.75 & -4) and I opted for the free (thicker) lens. That seemed to cause a slight bit of distortion at the edges of the lens. I've gotten use to it.

My only real concern is I have a wide bridged nose and these glasses have a somewhat narrow nose area. That causes the glasses sit a little higher than I'd like. But, when I'm riding my head is generally tilted slightly downward anyway.

I purposefully bought a pair with a clear windscreen. 80% of my riding is in shaded woods and I didn't want the hassle of dark lenses. Zenni also has a goggle with a yellow tinted windscreen for the same price. If these hold up fairly well I'll probably order a pair of the yellow tinted ones also.

If I would have paid > $100, I wouldn't be 100% satisfied. At $30, I'm happy with them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Prescription Vuarnets with Skilynx lenses and Croakies. They're expensive and I had to wait 4 weeks as they are made in France, but they're worth every penny. These are the real deal. The cheaper ones made in the US suck. Got them from Sight for Sport Eyes at Sporteyes.com. They carry lots of other brands too.

WWYD?
    The prescription is accurate. I have a fairly strong script (-4.75 & -4) and I opted for the free (thicker) lens. That seemed to cause a slight bit of distortion at the edges of the lens. I've gotten use to it.

If I would have paid > $100, I wouldn't be 100% satisfied. At $30, I'm happy with them.
    Hey Marpilli,

I bought some goggles too from Zenni, when I first tried them on there was a headache-inducing distortion when looking through them. I noticed that the lens was curved too much and by pressing them flatter everything came into focus. I ended up heating the bridge up gently and bending them flat. This may not be a solution for your distortion but the prescription lens can pop off if you carefully pry them loose.

ronbo613
    I have a pair of prescription Smiths polarized sunglasses from Sports Vision Bend. Great glasses, use them for bike riding and fishing.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Hey Marpilli,

I bought some goggles too from Zenni, when I first tried them on there was a headache-inducing distortion when looking through them. I noticed that the lens was curved too much and by pressing them flatter everything came into focus. I ended up heating the bridge up gently and bending them flat. This may not be a solution for your distortion but the prescription lens can pop off if you carefully pry them loose.
    Fantastic idea! What did you use to heat them up?

I had a pair from Coastal.com and I sent them back because the lenses curved way too much and they were unusable. The nice thing about Coastal is they have a 100% money back guarantee. I've bought my last two pair of regular glasses from them and have been super happy with the quality and cost. They just didn't have much of a goggle/safety glasses selection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This year, I too tried Zenni for the first time and was blown away at the value. They are as clear as any glasses I have ever had - 40 yrs now.

One pair was $16 landed and another pair I got everything, best lens, all coatings, etc. $50. If they get scratched - get a new pair and toss um.

WWYD?
    Fantastic idea! What did you use to heat them up?

I had a pair from Coastal.com and I sent them back because the lenses curved way too much and they were unusable. The nice thing about Coastal is they have a 100% money back guarantee. I've bought my last two pair of regular glasses from them and have been super happy with the quality and cost. They just didn't have much of a goggle/safety glasses selection.
    I used a mini butane torch and practiced first on a piece of similar plastic to figure out the distance and melt time. About three inches from the bridge. I'll try to post a pic later.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was actually going to ask about this topic, then I stumbled upon this thread. Wearing my glasses while doing any physical activity just doesn't work and I don't have or really want contacts. When I get a bike and start riding I'll try one of the Zenni glasses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You get what you pay for........those Zenni's look like crap. Four surfaces to keep clean and sweat free looks like a PITA. Cough up the extra scratch for rx lenses......you'll be much happier. I've got a couple pair of Zeal Optics rx sunglasses...had good luck and excellent CS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I went with Liberty sport, I spend a great deal of time outside for work and play.

Libertysport.com. I don't have enough post to put in links.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6guitars View Post
    What do you slightly nearsighted guys use? I'm getting tired of wearing my Maui Jims out there...
    I wear my regular prescription sunglasses. Here in Az I need prescription sunglasses daily. I would like to get a dedicated pair just for outdoor sporting activity, but I never have. The only issue I have is I HATE it when sweat runs down off my head in to the glasses. I do two things combat this. I carry small clean towel in my a camebak to wipe away any sweat. I also wear heatsweats head band under by helmet (think 1980's workout look). Looks lame, but works really well and with the helmet on you can't really see it. My helmet has had it pads sort of get nasty and fall off from years of sweat and headband seems to pick up the slack and make the helmet confortable again as well as controlling sweat.

My glasses never seem to fall off and part of this is that helmet sort of traps them in place as well.

banned
    Another option...

Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Take my advice, go to Zenni Optical , put the 50% yellow tint in one of the many sweet plastic frames, done.

My frames were 16 bucks!

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Zenni Optical ... just buy something that looks reasonably good, get the polarised lens option (around $32 bucks on top of the frames). They'll do your proper PD, astigmatism, etc.

I bought a set of cheap-plastic aviators from there with prescriptions just for laughs: $9.95 for the frames, I think $5 for the tint. Ended up wearing them basically every day until I smashed em (not biking). Ended up picking another set with my new prescription but went for the more spendy polarised option, then bought a set of black-framed sunnies, polarised; I will never go anywhere I think it'll be sunny without those two pairs of glasses, and the black set stay on well so I use them biking.

Any "over the glasses" options I have seen completely suck, and paying to replace lenses on a pair of $200 sunglasses so they're my prescription is idiotic. Not sure what lenses cost to replace out your way, but they're about $200 for basic lenses where I live, polarisation and anti-glare and stuff are on top of that.

mtbr member

Style #700221 ($25.95)
    1.57 Mid-Index lenses
    No add-ons
    S&H $4.95

Total $30.90
    So with this system you buy the frames and then use your latest prescription from the optomitrist and you get glasses for $30 or so?

For $30 bucks I would gladly by two pair. One tinted and one clear. I have never bought prescrption glasses on line so I would be interested to know how it works.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    So with this system you buy the frames and then use your latest prescription from the optomitrist and you get glasses for $30 or so?

For $30 bucks I would gladly by two pair. One tinted and one clear. I have never bought prescrption glasses on line so I would be interested to know how it works.
    When you order from Zenni you will actually input your prescription, select the lenses and add-ons (scratch resistant coating, etc.). They do all of the manufacturing and send you a complete pair of glasses ready to wear for about $30.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Iím also a customer of Zenni Optical and have got a dozen of glasses from them. Frankly, not all the glasses are perfect, but their customer service is very kind and positive to resolve my issue. For the quality, IMO, I canít figure out the differences between Zenniís glasses and local ones. They are good enough for daily use.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When you order from Zenni you will actually input your prescription, select the lenses and add-ons (scratch resistant coating, etc.). They do all of the manufacturing and send you a complete pair of glasses ready to wear for about $30.
    Are you serious? If I can honestly get a pair of these in my prescription for THAT amount...that's amazing.

Or maybe it's just an indication of how prescription glasses have become such a runaway monopoly.

Seriously. Look up "Luxottica" and be prepared to puke.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by esw116 View Post
    Are you serious? If I can honestly get a pair of these in my prescription for THAT amount...that's amazing.

Or maybe it's just an indication of how prescription glasses have become such a runaway monopoly.

Seriously. Look up "Luxottica" and be prepared to puke.
    Completely serious. What you see in the pic is what I received for $30.90. Ready to wear prescription goggles and a case. I've ordered several pair of glasses online now and have been happy with the results so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0