Post your "cheap bike"! (sub $200) - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    Oh, Duh! No, it's not too bad. It's under 30lbs easily. With the right rims and an air shock it would be pretty respectable for a 4 1/2 inch travel bike.
    not too shabby!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Live 2 Ride
    Here's an update of my dumpster bike all finished (almost, still need pedals and grips) I have a total of about $30 in it so far, and most of that is paint:
    No disc?
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    nice transformation
    Thanks!! I put a lot of work into it and I'm happy with how it came out. I'm really impressed with how well it rides. I'm thinking of getting a shorter stem cause I feel like I'm reaching to far for the bars. But otherwise it's not bad at all. I also just ordered a set of wellgo Lu-a52 pedals off eBay a few minutes ago. Really lookin forward to that upgrade!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    No disc?
    Disk brakes? Not yet, I WILL upgrade to disk brakes eventually. I've been looking at the mavic 321s and a set of bb7's but I'm on a budget right now. After I get my pedals in and get some odi rouge lock ons or maybe the Troy lee designs, the wheelset and disk brakes are next.
    Last edited by sprknranger; 10-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by bangcole View Post
    This thread is so full of win right now!
    I HAVE to neg-rep you for 'full of win' - sorry, but it's like you posted a lol-cat or a norris 'fact'

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This is my cheapest bike. It was for free. Some guy abandoned it on my neighbors lawn. I saw it standing there for three days. When I saw my neighbor, I asked him for it and brought it home. I'm in the process of converting it into my market bike. Ive greased the bottom bracket and the headset. Ive also stripped out the brakes and converted the crank to a single 46. It wouldve been a 36, but the crank set doesnt have a spider. All the other chainrings just attach to the large ring In the back is a 20T freewheel on a coaster brake.

I still need to work on the wheel. No hurry. It got lots of crud. I need proper motivation.

I think I'll be riding it next summer.

Cost - 12 bucks for a new chain, a tire patch and (as of now) 2 hours of tinkering.

Last edited by bing!; 10-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    $5.
    '80's Schwinn Collegiate 3 (3-Speed)

Over $200., but minus the accessories I'm selling off, she'll come in well under $200.
    purchase price...(I paid $300./selling off pedals, helmet, shoes, cockpit bits, tires).
    Very very clean except for markings where bike rack met frame downtube.
    2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 4+

I just upgraded the cockpit (Thomson Elite Post & Thomson 4X Stem, Easton EA70
    MonkeyBar, ODI Rogue Grips, WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle, Kenda Nevegals w/fresh
    tubes [2.35 fr/2.1 r] Kool Stop Pads + my Shimano PD-M737 SPD's)

Update:
    $500. later [not including purchase price] w/out new WTB Rocket V Pro Saddle a &
    Salsa Clamp I mounted (will post pics with new saddle later this week)...she's at 29lbs.

Last edited by 2ndgen; 10-09-2011 at 11:59 PM.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    While I do think you've got an awesome used bike deal there (wish I could find one like that for that ...when I actually have the cash to blow ),I think it misses the point if this thread.

What you have is a $700 +\- bike by your own figuring. It wasn't a sub-$200 bike when you bought it,and after selling off those bits (dropping it to under $200),it wasn't a ridable bike until you put the other parts back on it,which you said you bought to put on it,which brought it back up to well above the sub-$200 threshold...

Um...talking about the Sugar,not the Schwinn )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2007 Gary Fisher Tarpons. Both bought used off CL from the original owners, very mint and hardly used.

They were bought from different sellers at different times, we were quite lucky to find a matching pair, though both are one size too big (16" and 19.5" instead of the usual 14.5" and 18" we normally ride) for us. Doesn't really matter since they're for errands rather than serious riding.

Mine was bought early 2008 for around $180 and her's mid 2007 for $150 from a lady who didn't take a liking to biking, included was a like new Trek Vapor helmet, fairly nice bike lock and the bike bag you see in the picture.

My handlebar bag and the matching Nike H20 bottles added later on. All reflectors intact for night time errands.
    Last edited by tracke30m3; 10-11-2011 at 03:52 AM.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    NIce set
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    picked up a freebie today, my guess is about a mid 70's schwinn. if anybody knows anything more then that let me know.

needs a little work, going to keep it under $100 just a street cruiser to get around a little easier then my SS on the road
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ Dood! lose the dork disk!!
    (what a poseur)

- should be a good build up - nice freebie

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    While I do think you've got an awesome used bike deal there (wish I could find one like that for that ...when I actually have the cash to blow ),I think it misses the point if this thread.

What you have is a $700 +\- bike by your own figuring. It wasn't a sub-$200 bike when you bought it,and after selling off those bits (dropping it to under $200),it wasn't a ridable bike until you put the other parts back on it,which you said you bought to put on it,which brought it back up to well above the sub-$200 threshold...

Um...talking about the Sugar,not the Schwinn )
    It was definitely rideable (as is), But, dangerous on the trail IMO.
    I'm just a snob and don't like the idea or using 8 year old tires/tubes/brakes.
    I did what many others did here. Upgraded it and modernized it.
    If I never swapped a part out of it, I'd be riding it as purchased.

And, (if I didn't already state this), all the parts on it are purchased to be transferrable to my "build"
    so while I ride this one, I can still have the benefits of a stiff cockpit and a tailored fit to "me".

I actually passed on the helmet, shoes & pedals (Candy C's that came on it) to a friend that rides.
    But I know someone who would've quickly given me $100. for that + the other accessories I took off of it.
    I kept the OEM parts so if I want to sell it later, I'll just put them back on and easily break even.

It's a lot of bike for the money. I was tempted to swap in a Fox fork up to 120mm w/hydraulic discs,
    but, I digressed and just will put that money towards the next bike. I will definitely get a better set of wheels for it.
    Came across a nice set of 1750g wheels that are perfect.

The point of this thread? Getting a nice score for under $200.
    Even at $300., I'd consider a near mint Sugar to be near the top of this list.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by tracke30m3 View Post
    2007 Gary Fisher Tarpons. Both bought used off CL, very mint and hardly used.

They were bought from different sellers at different times, we were quite lucky to find a matching pair, though both are one size too big (16" and 19.5" instead of the usual 14.5" and 18" we normally ride) for us. Doesn't really matter since they're for errands rather than serious riding.

Mine cost around $180 and her's $150 including a like new Trek Vapor helmet, fairly nice bike lock and the bike bag you see in the picture.

My handlebar bag and the matching Nike H20 bottles added later on. All reflectors intact for night time errands.
    Nice!

In early 2008 I picked up a hardly ridden 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin ($145. w/Kryptonite Lock) and
    a 2007 Gary Fisher Opie ($250. in brand new condition). Both were original owner bikes.

But by far, the best deal I ever made was trading my K-Mart Huffy BMX bike with a cracked
    Mag Wheel back in '80 when I was about 11 years old for a brand new P.K. Ripper Looptail!

2nd best deal ever? In 2009, a brand new in the box from an LBS '09 CAAD9 for $750. when everybody was snatching them up
    because they were the last of the non-BB30 "Made In USA" models. And, I got it in my size and in the color I lusted after...BBQ.

I was offered $1,200. for it before I even had it out of the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    ^^^ Dood! lose the dork disk!!
    (what a poseur)

- should be a good build up - nice freebie
    Free is free! It's all original, even down to the tires. Which just happen to be down right scary!

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    It was definitely rideable (as is), But, dangerous on the trail IMO.
    I'm just a snob and don't like the idea or using 8 year old tires/tubes/brakes.
    I did what many others did here. Upgraded it and modernized it.
    If I never swapped a part out of it, I'd be riding it as purchased.

And, (if I didn't already state this), all the parts on it are purchased to be transferrable to my "build"
    so while I ride this one, I can still have the benefits of a stiff cockpit and a tailored fit to "me".

I actually passed on the helmet, shoes & pedals (Candy C's that came on it) to a friend that rides.
    But I know someone who would've quickly given me $100. for that + the other accessories I took off of it.
    I kept the OEM parts so if I want to sell it later, I'll just put them back on and easily break even.

It's a lot of bike for the money. I was tempted to swap in a Fox fork up to 120mm w/hydraulic discs,
    but, I digressed and just will put that money towards the next bike. I will definitely get a better set of wheels for it.
    Came across a nice set of 1750g wheels that are perfect.

The point of this thread? Getting a nice score for under $200.
    Even at $300., I'd consider a near mint Sugar to be near the top of this list.

It's DEFINATELY a screaming deal,and meets the "spirit" of the thread,but not the pricepoint cutoff,and "could have sold" is a tad bit different than "sold" on the OEM bits you mentioned.

My saying it was "unridable" was refering to you having immediately taking the tires off,but yeah,as bought with even stock tires,it was ridable. All the Thomson parts jerked the price (but also the value) even further from the >$200 pricepoint.

I didn't mean it as a smart remark-LOL I was thinking out loud-but I shouldn't have said anything as there's no way it could not BE a smart remark,so I apologise,it wasn't intended as such

FWIW,I wouldn't have hesitated a nano-second on buying it,you done good,Brother,and now it's even sweeter.

Persoanlly,while I dig suspension and more is always better-those were designed arounf 100mm,if you decide to swap to a 125mm fork,I'd advise making it one with adjustable travel,so if it negatively impacts that sweet (as Sugar ) handling you can go back if needed. Looks like a brand new bike in the pics,BTW
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Mongoose VRS

Yard sale find 100 bucks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-p3180003.jpg  

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    It's DEFINATELY a screaming deal,and meets the "spirit" of the thread,but not the pricepoint cutoff,and "could have sold" is a tad bit different than "sold" on the OEM bits you mentioned.

My saying it was "unridable" was refering to you having immediately taking the tires off,but yeah,as bought with even stock tires,it was ridable. All the Thomson parts jerked the price (but also the value) even further from the >$200 pricepoint.

I didn't mean it as a smart remark-LOL I was thinking out loud-but I shouldn't have said anything as there's no way it could not BE a smart remark,so I apologise,it wasn't intended as such

FWIW,I wouldn't have hesitated a nano-second on buying it,you done good,Brother,and now it's even sweeter.

Persoanlly,while I dig suspension and more is always better-those were designed arounf 100mm,if you decide to swap to a 125mm fork,I'd advise making it one with adjustable travel,so if it negatively impacts that sweet (as Sugar ) handling you can go back if needed. Looks like a brand new bike in the pics,BTW
    Thanks bro!

And yeah, I was left pretty broke that week when I bought it,
    but it was one of those "sell my kidney" deals.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thanks bro!

And yeah....it was one of those "sell my kidney" deals.
    You got that right! (and IMHO it was worth being broke a week for )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Threw some tires on it did some cleaning and changed pedals. Rides like a dream....a free dream!

Still needs a few things but it's worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    Threw some tires on it did some cleaning and changed pedals. Rides like a dream....a free dream!

Still needs a few things but it's worth it.
    Someone threw out a late 80's Giant RS900.
    It was about a 58 (too big for me, I ride 56).
    Still, I could ride it.

BUT! She sure rode nice.
    Everything worked fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am into this 1988 Rockhopper comp for about $20 and a lot of elbow grease

bike was free off of craigslist, tires were $10 used at a yard sale (specialized branded tires) grips were $6 or $7 on ebay and the rest was just cleaning it up and lubing stuff its a tad small for me but I do enjoy riding it around the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bought this 2000 Rockhopper that came with a new fork and was upgraded to XT 8 speed with an LX wheelset for $130. I added:

- Shimano PD-M530 pedals
    - XT 9s shifters and cassette
    - Stx brake levers
    - Vredestein tires
    - Easton Haven stem with Monkey Lite XC carbon bar $25
    - Easton EA50 seat post $25
    - Truvativ FireX GXP crank ($10) with Deore XT chainrings.
    - ODI Ruffian grips

Today I'm putting an Avid BB7 front disc on. I can't wait to have consistent front braking for more control. I also want to upgrade the shock asap.
    Looking for a RockShox Tora 302 U-Turn fork, any condition. PM me if you have one.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsnratfinks View Post
    Bought this 2000 Rockhopper that came with a new fork and was upgraded to XT 8 speed with an LX wheelset for $130. I added:

- Shimano PD-M530 pedals
    - XT 9s shifters and cassette
    - Stx brake levers
    - Vredestein tires
    - Easton Haven stem with Monkey Lite XC carbon bar $25
    - Easton EA50 seat post $25
    - Truvativ FireX GXP crank ($10) with Deore XT chainrings.
    - ODI Ruffian grips

Today I'm putting an Avid BB7 front disc on. I can't wait to have consistent front braking for more control. I also want to upgrade the shock asap.
    Did you also got a 9 speed chain ??
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, I had a few laying around. Most of these parts, I have been fortunate enough to have sitting in a box already. CL yielded me some good deals recently, and I get a lot of mileage out of trading, also.
    Last edited by rodsnratfinks; 10-13-2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Looking for a RockShox Tora 302 U-Turn fork, any condition. PM me if you have one.

mtbr member
    Still riding my walmart Schwinn. I can't ride with anyone as all they want to talk about is how I need to upgrade my bike. I just keep riding and smiling.

Funny thing, the frame has yet to explode and it still has the original crankset, wheels and hubs.
    Chris

2005 Walmart Schwinn (slightly modified)
    Still going...

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by ncblue View Post
    Still riding my walmart Schwinn. I can't ride with anyone as all they want to talk about is how I need to upgrade my bike. I just keep riding and smiling.

Funny thing, the frame has yet to explode and it still has the original crankset, wheels and hubs.
    Don't pay no mind to the haters,keep rocking it and having a blast,that's a decent looking Scwinn ta boot
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

Live 2 Ride
    +rep for you. Who cares what you ride. Just get out there and ride. The trail does not care what brand of bike you have.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by ncblue View Post

Cool Beans!

And if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Plan #123-D
    Picked up this 2004 Stumpjumper for $200 on our local classifieds. It came with both the Thomson in picture and a new Cane Creek Thudbuster, Shimano SPD's, 2 extra sets of tires (mud tires and slicks), new Ergon grips and an extra rear wheel. The current wheelset, Shimano XT, had a bad rear hub, so I spent 30 minutes rebuilding it and now its as good as new! I sold the Ergons and SPDs for $50 so really the bike cost me $150. And, I'll throw the Thudbuster on eBay and hopefully get around $100, so that would put my investment at $50 for this beauty. Unfortunately it's too big for me, but it will be perfect as a loaner bike for my buddies who are haven't made the jump to singletrack yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-photo-1-.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    Picked up this 2004 Stumpjumper for $200 on our local classifieds. It came with both the Thomson in picture and a new Cane Creek Thudbuster, Shimano SPD's, 2 extra sets of tires (mud tires and slicks), new Ergon grips and an extra rear wheel. The current wheelset, Shimano XT, had a bad rear hub, so I spent 30 minutes rebuilding it and now its as good as new! I sold the Ergons and SPDs for $50 so really the bike cost me $150. And, I'll throw the Thudbuster on eBay and hopefully get around $100, so that would put my investment at $50 for this beauty. Unfortunately it's too big for me, but it will be perfect as a loaner bike for my buddies who are haven't made the jump to singletrack yet.
    I'll give you $50 for the fork so it will be free lol.

OnTheTrailAgain
    NO!

I need that fork!

Name your price!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    picked up a freebie today, my guess is about a mid 70's schwinn. if anybody knows anything more then that let me know.

needs a little work, going to keep it under $100 just a street cruiser to get around a little easier then my SS on the road
    she's starting to look a little better, total investment so far...$50

yes its the crankset out of my old haro bmx bike, works good though. just need to get the chain cleaned up and figure out something for a shifter and it will be ready to roll.

mtbr member
    My klunker and my townie. The red bike cost $44 in mint shape from a garage sale and the black bike, also mint, cost $5. There is very little left from the OE builds, thanks to buckets of parts I have gathered up over the years. Both are surprising good for their purposes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-redbike3.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-blackbike.jpg  

mtbr member
    oooops

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My craigslist freebie... added the handlebars, front brake, saddle, and pedals. Ditched all the gears and made it a ghetto SS... get's me to school and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got these two recently, probably to flip.

$40 1983 Schwinn Traveler. Decent condition but the decals are pretty ratty. Got her cleaned up a bit, new bar tape, new cables and housings, my favorite 'extra' saddle and put on a 700C wheelset since the tires that came with the bike were probably original and very dry and the wheels were extremely untrue.

Nice little bike but definitely not a keeper.

$150 Bianchi Milano. One with the 8 speed internal hub. It's a nice enough bike, but definitely a bit slower and less responsive than what I'm used to. Got it cleaned up and did a little touch-up paint work. I've actually put about 200 miles on this one, basically seeing if I should build up a rear wheel using the hub and put it on my single speed commuter. It came with fenders, but they were pretty banged up and one of the standoff/mounts was broken so I took it off.

The jury is still out.

mtbr member
    Craigslist find for $100, put $50 in tires and cables into it, then just sold it for $300:

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Craigslist find for $100, put $50 in tires and cables into it, then just sold it for $300:
    You sold that for $300?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    You sold that for $300?
    Yep, just needed my money out. It went to a young family, I don't feel bad about them getting a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I picked up a really clean 1998 Specialized S-Works M2 hard tail for $160 last night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-12.jpg  

Last edited by pcmark; 11-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    $4 for brake pads and that's it.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i posted this a little while back, but it had some work put into it (maybe 40 dollars total) and its in awesome shape for being 40+ years old! i'm taking it out today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Devinci Before 1 by Saint Urho, on Flickr

grabbed this beast for $35 in the summer.. spent some time cleaning and collecting parts.. best score was the spare wheel that came with my $200 trek.. I pulled the disc brakes off that bike as well and the front ended up here.

Devinci After 1 by Saint Urho, on Flickr

got surprised by winter.. didn't swap my studded tires on for the test ride sorry for the low light photos.. seat post attachment is for my dog-jogger

seat post looks high? it was!

mtbr member
    This is my bad weather/comfort commuter and sometimes my loaner trail/mtn bike

My '99 Mongoose 5.3 DX with a few era-correct upgrades;
    Deore rear der., shimano/Araya double wall'd wheels, Giant lock-on grips and saddle, Bontrager SSR stem and bar, Deore brakes, 2001 threadless Ritchey headset and RockShox Jett, but a modern computer.
    TOTAL INVESTMENT = $80
    (helps working at a bike shop)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Brings back memories

mtbr member
    Less than $40 to get this guy to where it's at. I had quite a bit of the parts sitting around for it though. The only thing I've bought for this so far were the spokes for the rear wheel, stem, brake pads, chain, and brake cables. What I've done to it so far has been new canti's, new rear wheel (I had the hub and rim) that is set up fixed/free. Surly cog with spacers on the drive side, drilled cog bolted to the disc mount for fixed gear. Original gum wall tires from 1991 (soon to be replaced with something better along with the saddle). like new single speed crank with bb and chainring that I had in my parts box and the track bar off of my fixed gear road bike. Looks goofy but is actually a very nice ride. Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can truly test my fixed gear skills offroad.

mtbr member
    Finally got a pic of my Fisher HKEK. Not really sub-$200 with the new Tora fork, but it sure did wake up this bike. The Moto Raptor 2.2 tires just barely fit, but add some nice squish to the back end. I used the stock bars and stem from my Rize 4, which are a bit wide but more relaxed than the narrow stock bars.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    my $60 CL 2003 raleigh m20

i take her on the same trails that i take my 03 kona kahuna DL FS and she does just fine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-trails-open.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-raleigh-nighthawk.jpg  

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Finally got a pic of my Fisher HKEK. Not really sub-$200 with the new Tora fork, but it sure did wake up this bike. The Moto Raptor 2.2 tires just barely fit, but add some nice squish to the back end. I used the stock bars and stem from my Rize 4, which are a bit wide but more relaxed than the narrow stock bars.
    That's alright. I did the same thing posting my $300. '03 Fisher Sugar HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    my $60 CL 2003 raleigh m20
    i take her on the same trails that i take my 03 kona kahuna DL FS and she does just fine!
    Nice!
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 12-20-2011 at 11:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I paid 150 for this bike. The owner got it on sale from 420, says he. Didnt like it. Too small, he was like 5'10 and the bike's 16 inches. Got impatient selling and gave me a deal

2011 Kona Unit, pedals are my addition, old set. New chain, new 20T cog, put in a set of Juicy 3s I had lying around, and trued the wheels.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    I paid 150 for this bike. The owner got it on sale from 420, says he. Didnt like it. Too small, he was like 5'10 and the bike's 16 inches. Got impatient selling and gave me a deal

2011 Kona Unit, pedals are my addition, old set. New chain, new 20T cog, put in a set of Juicy 3s I had lying around, and trued the wheels.
    Outstanding deal! I made a similar score. My first MTB was an '07 Fisher Opie.
    I paid $250. for it in early 2008 (it was barely purchased and still had the little rubber hairs on the tires).
    I was literally on my way to buy a brand new bike (the exact same bike actually). It was about $500. brand new.
    I'm 5'9". The Opie was 15.5", BUT, I loved it just as it was. The low slope tube let me get really aggressive with it.
    I really like that Kona of yours.

mtbr member
    Won't win any "oooh, ahhhh" contests from this crowd, but it was a great deal...neighbor bought this for her son at Target, he ended up in some legal trouble before he got it. Rather than give it to him, it sat in her shed in the box for a year. When they moved, she drug it over to my driveway and said "here, I'd like you to have this". Free.

Wouldn't take a dime for it, either.

It's not a bad bike at all, if you ignore the "quasi-mtb" styling and odd mix of disc/vbrakes, fragile laced rims, etc. I ditched the tires for some lighter street shoes and rode it as a commuter for a year. I'm giving it to a neighborhood kid, who needs a bike for college.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

Live 2 Ride
    Any plans to build up that Klein?

mtbr member
    Any plans to build up that Klein?
    Yup, that's why it's in the shop. Going to be a SS workout machine when I'm done with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This one was free I made it into a SS and put a new saddle on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_0198.jpg  

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by olegbabich View Post
    Holy Crap! Tell me about the wheelset!

Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post
    Won't win any "oooh, ahhhh" contests from this crowd, but it was a great deal...neighbor bought this for her son at Target, he ended up in some legal trouble before he got it. Rather than give it to him, it sat in her shed in the box for a year. When they moved, she drug it over to my driveway and said "here, I'd like you to have this". Free.

It's not a bad bike at all, if you ignore the "quasi-mtb" styling and odd mix of disc/vbrakes, fragile laced rims, etc. I ditched the tires for some lighter street shoes and rode it as a commuter for a year. I'm giving it to a neighborhood kid, who needs a bike for college.
    Some of those old Schwinns had Horst/DW-Link suspensions I believe!

Live 2 Ride
    Yup, that's why it's in the shop. Going to be a SS workout machine when I'm done with it.
    Come on put some gears on the Klein.

Some of those old Schwinns had Horst/DW-Link suspensions I believe!
    Nope. Old Schwinns had the freedrive suspension system borrowed from Mongoose and really old Schwinns had the Lawhill 4 banger setup.

mtbr member
    Come on put some gears on the Klein.
    Everything I've got has a cassette, I'd like to make one SS in the stable. If I don't like it, I'll do a 1x9, I've got the parts to make that happen now but I want a super light single for powering around the hilly dirt roads where I live.

mtbr member

Late Night Garbage Pick

Old Fat Guy down the street put this out by the curb on trash night. Old Skinny Guy (Me) rode his SS under cover of darkness, grabbed it by the bars, and dragged/rolled it, flat tires and all, to his Mancave, where a generous dose of elbow grease removed about 25 years of accumulated dust & dirt to reveal the Mid 80's Vintage shining steel 2x5 Ross HI-TECH underneath. Still has the original tires on it and the tubes have held air so far. Only other thing I've done is replace the original rotted foam grips.

It's perfect for tooling around the neighborhood. I'm waiting for him to notice it when I ride past..........

mtbr member
    No freakin way....nice find!
    "Got everything you need?"

Titanium junkie
    Heres my ugly 130.00 dollar Pumpkin bike, it's a 1995 Schwinn Moab Elite.
    Damn thing is fun to ride around town.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-pumkin-bike-001.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-pumkin-bike-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very neat pumpkin bike I've always loved those tires for some reason

Live 2 Ride
    Is that drive side chainstay bent?

Titanium junkie
    Thanks Sasquatch, was screwing with paint and colors, fork is nice and smooth, orange on the
    frame is bumpy and cracked looking, wanted the pumpkin skin effect. And yes I like the tires,
    damn thing hauls ass. Kona0197, no it is not bent, Schwinn did those like that to avoid chain slap.
    But the top tube is bent alittle if that makes you feel any better. Didn't notice it until it went from
    dark grey to orange. Bike is a keeper, just way to much fun in the city.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Old Fat Guy down the street put this out by the curb on trash night. Old Skinny Guy (Me) rode his SS under cover of darkness, grabbed it by the bars, and dragged/rolled it, flat tires and all, to his Mancave, where a generous dose of elbow grease removed about 25 years of accumulated dust & dirt to reveal the Mid 80's Vintage shining steel 2x5 Ross HI-TECH underneath. Still has the original tires on it and the tubes have held air so far. Only other thing I've done is replace the original rotted foam grips.

It's perfect for tooling around the neighborhood. I'm waiting for him to notice it when I ride past..........
    Nice! I bought a bike exactly like that from a guy in 1987 for $40 and then flipped it 3 weeks later for $200. I think it is the Mt. St. Helens model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Nice! I bought a bike exactly like that from a guy in 1987 for $40 and then flipped it 3 weeks later for $200. I think it is the Mt. St. Helens model.
    It Pre-Dates the Mt St Helens. It's called the HI-TECH and it has CUSTOM cranks. Yo, my sh*t's so Hi-Tech I gotta pull the left shifter to get in the big ring! Check out those gold weinmann rims from Belgium! Look at that pie plate! It's even got gold pin striping around the lugs! It's so bad it should be in Detention!

banned
    Another friend at work wanted to try out XC biking. I was on the hunt again...

I picked up a (2005, I think) IronHorse Outlaw for $50. It still had the price tag on the stem and the QA check tags on the spokes. It looks like someone rode it around the block and put it in the garage.

It's a large frame and he is probably borderline between a medium and large. So, I put on a shorter stem I had in the parts bin. I also put on some wider tires (2.1" replaced 1.95"), removed the reflectors, re-greased and adjusted the front hub (was too tight), adjusted the brakes and shifters.

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_8102.jpg

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_8103.jpg

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_8104.jpg

It's not a high-end bike by any means. But, I'll sell it to him for $50 and if he likes the sport he can easily get his $50 back out of it and buy a better bike later.

mtbr member

Old Specialized

Here's my old 95 HardRock....about to throw some new tires on her this week. I still ride it on a frequently.

1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra
    2010 Jamis Dakar XC Comp

mtbr member
    ^^^ from what I remember, those cranksets were recalled. I work in a shop and had to replace one this past year. Apparently the arms were a little thin and there were a lot of issues with them snapping. Talk to your local bike shop and see if you can get replacements (you won't have to pay for them). When doing the repair I thought it was just going to be a new crankset, but shimano sent a new bottom bracket, crankset, front derailleur and chain...might be worth checking into if you want. It's all current 2011-2012 stuff and definitely worth the upgrade

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great thread, awesome pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How much is an 85 Hardrock worth?
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    How much is an 85 Hardrock worth?
    it's over 9,000!

mtbr member
    Bought this in 2010 for $20. I believe it is a 1993-94 GT Timberline. The paint was toast. So I slapped some satin black paint on it and white walls. Hate it or love it. Itís sure fun to ride!

mtbr member
    Here is mine. Was a '93 Diamondback Traverse. Traded a chair for it with my bro-in-law. He rode it once and parked it. This is it now. All I put into in was enough to buy grips and a can of clear coat since I stripped it to raw. I am going to dump the saddle and put in a new seat post, but will wait for free/almost free first...
    All the stuff I used to convert it to SS I had.

mtbr member
    ^ Cool stuff dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I loved going thru this thread... I've bought so many under $100 bikes I've lost count. I've gotten a lot of good kids bikes for friends kids. My 98 Trek 7000ZX was free, but I've got probably $300 into it,,, which is still low budget, but over the budget for this thread.
    My wife has a 2005 Specialized Hard Rock I got for $50. Put a better seat on it, and new pedals so far. Needs new cables, tires, tubes, and brake pads, but I can't get her to ride it enough to make it worth putting the work into. :-(

mtbr member
    '03 Giant Yukon

mtbr member
    May 2011

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by swingset View Post

karma points for her for giving it to someone who would get good use from it. and to you for passing it on to someone else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pulled this guy out of a dumpster, needed nothing just some elbow grease.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1335641977402.jpg  

All day long

This started out as a freebie 1983 Lotus Eclair which I rebuilt mostly with leftover parts plus about $60 in tires and bar tape.

I received the bike painted dark green which I stripped off to reveal the original, beat up blue/white paint scheme. The Nashbar wheels were in perfect shape so all I had to do was remove the freewheel for cleaning (and removal of the dork disc) and add some new Tioga Bloodhound tires. Chucked the original Dia Compe levers for some Shimano 600's and added a barend shifter to the 1x6 drivetrain.

The Lotus is now my "crummy-cross" bike which I had entered in a CX race shortly after completion in December 2011. I did not do too well, but did not come in last.

Not shown in these photos, but added afterwards are a bash guard and Kool Stop salmon brake pads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    bought this bad boy for $200, and stripped all the parts of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    got this bike last week for $75, had a frozen fork and needed new cables. So I threw the fox fork on it and gave it tune up. It's my roommates first mtb as an adult! lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_0373.jpg  

Hazardous to your health!
    this thread has inspired me to get my garyfisher tarpon back in shape for road riding and a rigid mtb set up!
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Titanium junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Genom View Post

This started out as a freebie 1983 Lotus Eclair which I rebuilt mostly with leftover parts plus about $60 in tires and bar tape.

I received the bike painted dark green which I stripped off to reveal the original, beat up blue/white paint scheme. The Nashbar wheels were in perfect shape so all I had to do was remove the freewheel for cleaning (and removal of the dork disc) and add some new Tioga Bloodhound tires. Chucked the original Dia Compe levers for some Shimano 600's and added a barend shifter to the 1x6 drivetrain.

The Lotus is now my "crummy-cross" bike which I had entered in a CX race shortly after completion in December 2011. I did not do too well, but did not come in last.

Not shown in these photos, but added afterwards are a bash guard and Kool Stop salmon brake pads.
    I had a 1985 Lotus road bike that cost me 450.00 or so back in
    1985. Loved that bike, worked my ass off to throw Campy at it.
    Thanks for posting that, brought a smile to my face.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Me Worry?
    I've been searching through my local CL for a decent sub $200 beater I can ride to my local watering hole, store runs, etc. Unfortunately in my area the prices so far have been crazy. The standard listing is something like - 1996 Stumpjumper paid $1250 new will let it go for $750. Or 50 lb. Wallyworld full suspension bikes for $50 less than you can get them new. So the search continues.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mid 90s Hardrock from the pawn shop 50 bucks, needed a tube, seat post, chain, cassette and brakes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Amaizing thing is, my crapper bike (Gary Fisher Aquila) is my favourite. I ride it every day as I don't have to worry about it getting scratched or damaged. Love it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ...and here it is. Total cost $161.00 to build.

mtbr member
    $140 this past week. first bike. yay.

meow.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by olegbabich View Post
    Holy Crap! The predecessor to my bike LOL!

mtbr member
    Traded an unused set of wheels for this... looking to pick up a better purple handlebar, black stem and maybe some purple pedals (hard to tell but the bike is actually dark purple)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The two most recent additions. The Giant was bought to replace a semi-recent Walmart-level Mongoose and the Schwinn will probably be flipped in a few months. Schwinn was $100 and the Giant was $40.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just picked another bike up today. A J Lapierre mixte. Came as a rough single speed conversion. I think I'll make it into a 1x5 or 1x6 speed. Had new tires, tubes, grips and chain. I added the Brooks though it came with the original leather saddle and tool bag. Tool bag is in usable condition but the saddle is very rough.

Got it adjusted a bit more to my liking and rode it for half an hour until it started to rain.

For $65, it seemed like a decent deal as I'd been wanting to get a mixte... AND the guy met me so I didn't have to drive far.

Think I'll throw on some cheap brown grips and get some new brake pads... other than that, it's in pretty decent condition.

mtbr member
    Very cool. I have 5 bmx bikes in my stable for my boys I got for smokin deals and then some.

I paid $90 bucks for three
    dk six pack $40 garage sale (like new)
    redline mini $40 garage sale (like new)
    dyno kids bike $10 garage sale

Free
    1980 mongoose bmx (frame needs tlc, but the parts were awesome)
    1979 torker big bike (was my brothers and he gave it to my boys)

I built up the torker which was really nice and sold it for $750.

After I get to 10 post I post a pic.

mtbr member

Here it is all finished up (i may have posted this bike a few times on mtbr, what can i say...)

Vitamin Bike Added
    Quote Originally Posted by b.miranda View Post
    bought this bad boy for $200, and stripped all the parts of it.
    Nice work! I'm always hunting for some clunker with a fox fork and BB7s with a wal-goose pricetag to strip. Very well done...
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Post your cheap bikes! Sometimes, the cheapest ones can be your favorite ones and the most useful. Let's see those craigslist finds and Walmart specials!

My old one (and regretting I sold it): 1997 Gary Fisher Aquila. CroMo frame, STXRC shifters. Bought from a friend for $180 and rode it for 8 years before it started to need more love than I wanted to give. Sold it for $120...and now I want it back.

My current foul weather commuter/beater/kid trailer hauler/grocery getter everything bike: 1989 Fuji Tahoe. $50 on Craigslist, $20 platforms, $20 fenders, $40 in tires = $130. Only had it for a couple weeks, but so far I like it! Rides pretty well and I don't mind riding it in the rain or leaving it locked up for hours at a time.

I rode that same GF....it was the first MTB I actually road trails on....I am sure some it's dismantled or rusted out in some local tweakers yard......yep, it got swiped....Great bike, pic brings back memories
    MTB -
    '12 Felt Nine Race
    '99 GT XCR 4000

Road-
    '12 GT GTR Series 5

banned
    It doesn't have to be an adult's bike, right?

Picked up a 2010 Giant MTX for $35 off of CL. Changed out the seatpost ($10), replaced the grip shift with a trigger shifter ($15). Other parts I had in the bin (grips, avid brake levers, cables and housing).

My 5yo is super stoked that he now has a "bike with gears" just like his big bother. We took it out front for the test run tonight. Once he got the hang of braking and shifting he worked it like a champ.

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_9445.jpg

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_9448.jpg

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_9449.jpg

mtbr member
    My Santa Cruz didn't come with a kick stand. I musta got screwed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    My Santa Cruz didn't come with a kick stand. I musta got screwed.
    Until he learns to lay it down gracefully (or lean it) I'm leaving that thing on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If we're talking kids bikes...
    My 6 year old daughters Hot Rock
    Won on Ebay for $50 shipped to my door.
    Had to replace cranks and bottom bracket, tires and tubes. Also swapped handlebars for some used carbon fiber bars, with a shorter stem, and swapped brakes out for some Avid SDs from my old bike.

And my older daughter on her Gary Fisher we got for free. It needed a new crankset, which I got in the used parts pile at a small bike shop nearby. Paid $10 for the crankset. It is due for tires and brake pads before next summer though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My Santa Cruz was stolen last night and I am wondering if I'll see it in this thread sometime :-(.
    Actually was looking at the thread to get ideas as places to look for the bikes (we lost more than just mine)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm riding a Craigslist special lol. 98 trek 930 picked it up in really good shape for $80

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
    My Santa Cruz was stolen last night and I am wondering if I'll see it in this thread sometime :-(.
    Actually was looking at the thread to get ideas as places to look for the bikes (we lost more than just mine)
    Check your local Craig's List. And post something in the General section, along with pictures and what happened.

Terrain Sculptor
    Free. Yes, it`s a mountain bike because of where I ride it.Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-538397_10151196730516550_1105076424_n.jpg

$120 - My main ride.
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-2012-07-02-14.38.49.jpg

$25 - I keep this one at the hospital for when I`m in for cancer treatments.
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-2012-07-18-12.48.44.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I don't have pictures any more because I just sold it, but I picked up a Raleigh M60 with a Marzocchi z2 fork for $175 on a local classifieds site. It was great for a few years and I was able to sell it just recently for exactly what I paid.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I picked up an old copper orange schwinn for $50 a few weeks ago sold it yesterday for $100.
    I was also at this antique shop / warehouse where a guy puts his storage unit finds in, saw the bicycles out front and saw a Cannondale m400 for 25 bucks I was asking him about it since I showed the the 25 price tag and he set it aside and tried to sell me these two foldables for 90. I was like nahhhhh I want that blue one for 25

AZ
    banned
    Free, zip nada. Thanks MTBR.

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-dog-we-trust-001.jpg

mtbr member

GT Done Dirt Cheep

I picked this up on CL about 6 or 8 months ago for $80! It needed a new chain and skewer which brought the total to $130. Not bad for a bike that was almost new. I ride it regularly.
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_0462.jpg
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Gotta revive this thread b/c i want to share my latest acquisition.... got this Moto Fly Pro with a SID fork for $320, then sold the fork to a friend for $220. Then all i did was add a new cassette, chain, cables, and housing. All said an done, this bike currently sits at ~$180.

(SLX/XT drivetrain, Juicy 7 brakes, Salsa fork, and some decent Ritchey stuff)

bay area CA
    i recently built this commuter bike for my 9 mile commutes so i wouldnt have tro ride my mountain bike.

i bought this for 80 bucks

i got the wheels for 60 bucks and the cranks for 40. i needed a new tube, did a singlespeed conversion and tuned it up myself. sub 200 bad ass bike! rides like a dream and looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Got the GT for $200 and Felt for $40

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Original owner 1997 hardrock CroMo frame. A month ago it had all original parts all the way down to the tires. After getting a new 29er, I also dropped some money into restoring this baby.

-new riser bar for more comfortable ride
    -all new shifter cables and added shimano trigger shifters
    -Longer Odi grips (gained ability to put longer grips after adding triggers)
    -new rear brake shimano v-brakes and brake cables.
    -Speed V Gel saddle
    -DMR V8 pedals
    -Walky dog plus - for getting the dog exercise (see clamp on seat post)

It's like a new bike and i enjoyed working on it. I love it for getting around town. It's a tank!

(i know the tire treads are reversed. fixed that after i noticed)

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-20130715_235803.jpg
    Noobish
    2013 Cannondale Trail 29er 1
    1990ish Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Winner of the ugliest bike award goes to....

This is my mid 80's Ross that I've added onto over the last 20+ years. My older brother gave me the bike. Frame and wheels and crank are original as is one pedal (can't get the other one off). Shimano gears and brakes, Schwinn seat and grips. I'd guess it cost around $150 total.

It's really fun to ride on the road, but sucks on bike paths. Now I'm thinking that I might change it back to a road bike, you know, out of respect.

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-ross-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-imag0046.jpg

Just picked this Cannondale SR800 up yesterday.

Came with some goodies and it seems to ride smoother than my Dad's carbon road bike that I have been cruising around with lately.

Debating with myself whether or not to strip the paint and have it polished and shiny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    I'm not even a fan of road bikes, but this bike is awesome! I'd ride it.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

mtbr member

Re: Post your "cheap bike"! (sub $200)

I know this thread is old, but I figured I'd post up my cheap bikes.

First is the bike I've dubbed the el-cheapo singlespeedo. A 96 specialized rockhopper I picked up for 75 bucks in showroom new condition. Zero rust, original everything but tires which the.previous owner replaced with some narrow commuter tires. Since purchase I.have done a cheap single speed conversion and replaced the crappy altus brakes with some avid shorty 4s. I also threw on a front wheel I had lying around.
    Total Investment: $100

Next is my best find. My 1978 motobecane grand jubilť which I found in a barn while working for an old man in my neighborhood. He said he'd had it for.years and that he never rode it. I asked him if he wanted to sell it, and he said no, he wanted to give it to me on the condition that I ride the damn thing. (his words)

The bike was 100% original condition, but the years had taken their toll. I replaced the tires, tubes, brake pads, cables and housings, and the seat.

The bike rides wonderfully, but it's a tad big. A shorter stem would help.

Total invested: $60

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537070144.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537096409.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537686588.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537701861.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537725188.jpg  

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-uploadfromtaptalk1384537739037.jpg  

29ers Forever
    1994 Cannondale R300 (pre-Caad)
    It was initally free, but I spent $60 on Schwalbe Lugano tyres with the Kevlar Guard, new bar tape ($30), and a $40 tune up with new cables and a repair on the front brake caliper.
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-kjh_2976.jpgPost your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-kjh_2995.jpg
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

slow
    $15
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_20130902_120114_823.jpg

mtbr member
    Got this GT on CL a couple months ago for 180 Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-img_20131016_134648.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Here's mine. 2008 diamondback response comp. new condition for $180.Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-20140906_103333.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Post your "cheap bike"! (sub $200)

$60 on CL

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-v21002.jpg
    this is my bike I bought to get back into riding for exercise... its a genesis V2100 it you dont count the pedals,fenders , mirror,bar ends,and all the other accessories it was a $160 walmart bike..... it was a bobbing tank of a bike
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-blazer-084.jpg
    found this specialized rockhopper at a garage sale for $5
    Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-blazer-102.jpg
    used the bast parts from both bikes and ended up with this...
    $160 walmart bike + $5 rockhopper+$50 for a new BB,$10 for a cheap seat of cables+ free tires from a bike I picked up at a garage sale for $2 and sold for $20 after some repairs and swapping the crappy genesis tires on it+ $3 pair of junk wheels I used the axles and skewers from to make the genesis wheels quick release to fit in the dropouts better.. $228 minus accessories.....sold the genesis frame for $20+$18 profit from the bike I sold... 228-$38= $190 minus accessories
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I use this very cheapest bike Viking Clubmaster is something special. This is design to give old school retro looks of Viking bikes of the past. But in terms of specification this bike is up to the minute with 14 speed Shimano gears and leather Monte Grappa saddle. Itís got the looks and also style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great Job

swag swag like Caillou
    Aug 2014
    My dad bought me a mongoose new ($250 I think?), and I rode it about twice a month until I got serious about mountain biking. Then I had to upgrade, of course. I bought a 2005 Kona Coiler frame for $75 on CL that also came with a bunch of goodies. Then I moved most of the parts off my mongoose onto my new (to me) frame. I recently sold some of the goodies I'm not using for $25 (on cl, of course). I've also been able to sell some of the mongoose parts. I've been buying used upgrades, then selling the take-offs to recoup some of the investment. The total I've invested is more than $200, but this is my one and only bike, and I ride the heck out of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My Jamis Dakota...not sure what year it is and cant remember what I paid for it...I think about $80 probably 12 or more years ago
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-p9140038.jpg  

mtbr member
    I took a load to the dump for my mother-in-law and someone was about to throw this away. I put air in the tires and crimped an end cap on the derailleur cable so it doesn't fray. I gave the bike a 15 minute once-over and took it for a 40 mile ride without putting a cent into it. My first road bike and it rides/shifts really well.

Post your "cheap bike"!  (sub 0)-0511142024a.jpg

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I took a load to the dump for my mother-in-law and someone was about to throw this away. I put air in the tires and crimped an end cap on the derailleur cable so it doesn't fray. I gave the bike a 15 minute once-over and took it for a 40 mile ride without putting a cent into it. My first road bike and it rides/shifts really well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0511142024a.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	926104
    That's a nice save. I had a similar experience when I got my road bike.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member

Picked up for $125, fox alps needs rebuilt but clean otherwise

Moderator Moderator
    I've got about $80 into this bike. Lots of well loved parts on it from my bin of extras.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    I've got about $80 into this bike. Lots of well loved parts on it from my bin of extras.

that looks like a great bike for that cheap!

mtbr member
    May 2015

Hello guys, this is not my first post but my first from this new account, seems my old one was deactivated as I was inactive for too long? Anyway I can't post pictures of the bike or link to it obviously but I found a bike on Craigslist I'm considering buying. It's a 2003 Trek 4100 alpha with v-brakes, looks to be ok condition. I do know enough about mtbs to determine that in person. Is it worth the 100 asking price in yals opinion for just around the neighborhood with my kids with the occasional trail use? I figured this is a good spot to ask this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Oops
    Last edited by JMarRuns; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:40 PM. Reason: double posted

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    $35 1988 Schwinn High Sierra (Put ~$60 into it to convert to ss)

$200 1989 Klein Top Gun (this was a steal...)

$35 1973 Raleigh Super Course (Capella lugs and a great condition Brooks)

$150 1986 Trek 1500 (all original)

$60 1995 Gary Fisher Mt Jam (son's bike)

$20 2011 GT Stomper (other son's bike, Goodwill find)

$75 1996 Trek Mt Track XC (wife's bike, all original)

Most expensive bike cost $250, 1997 Trek 7000ZX, heavily modified and upgraded. I don't like going into debt to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This thread has not seen nearly enough action lately...
    Post up those cheap or free scores!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 30