The post-ride DUI- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    fc
    head minion Administrator

The post-ride DUI

I started this same topic in a regional forum but wanted to bring this up here as well:

So I was at the local trail - club ride on Wednesday. A good friend said he was not drinking beer and I asked why. He said he got a post-ride DUI on Highway 85 on Dec 27. Two and half good beers for his 170lb body got him to .08 blood/alcohol level.

His life has been turned upside down with $7k expenses so far, jail, pending trial and 20 days of labor possible. I talked to him for 20 minutes and got all the details.

Things I learned:

- 2 .5 IPAs, post-ride got him to .08 level

- 6 months of misery until it's all behind him

- about 20 days of duty, usually labor clean-up. Community service will be around double that since easier work

- CHP treated him like a career criminal

- the longer you wait for the breathalyzer test, the more your blood alcohol rises for about 3 hours

- after Jan 1, 2019, they need to install an expensive breathalyzer device on your car to start it.

- can take away your license on the spot, before trial

- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear.

So this is just a share of what I learned a couple days ago. If you have more info to add/correct, please do so. It is a tough subject since it's part of what we do... ie, me.

We try to drink responsibly and this is the first-case (that I know of) in my circle. The shame/guilt is intense so I'm glad he shared with me.

Thoughts? You have a post-ride beer at the parking lot, brewery or not at all?The post-ride DUI-394724_3943065248446_1253365421_n.jpg

IPA will save America

since 4/10/2009
    For me? Almost never in the parking lot. And if I do, it's only one low abv beer if available. I'll go somewhere post-ride where I can ALSO get food, though. Still usually just a single beer because dehydration and beer is never a good combo. But combined with some reasonably hearty food like a burger or a burrito or something and more time, driving home is not an issue.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I always look at the alcohol content (ie avoid the big beers) and if I'm driving it's two beers max over ~3 hours if I'm also eating.

Otherwise 1 beer and switch to water.

I should add, I'm no saint and have made mistakes.. though luckily I've never hurt anyone or been convicted of a DUI.

How strong were the IPA that your buddy was drinking?

Hi There!
    Not at all. Too much on the line for that so I can wait.
    NTFTC

Bikesexual
    I'm usually alone, so nope. I also need food, at 150lbs one beer after a ride will get me to DUI status.

You just can't take those chances these days.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    For me? Almost never in the parking lot. And if I do, it's only one low abv beer if available. I'll go somewhere post-ride where I can ALSO get food, though. Still usually just a single beer because dehydration and beer is never a good combo. But combined with some reasonably hearty food like a burger or a burrito or something and more time, driving home is not an issue.
    Yeah, thanks for the share.

Yes, looking at the ABV is huge!!! In the US, they always show the alcohol percentage. In other countries, not so much. Homebrew is common in my circles too and I always ask the brewer.

Some double IPAs that are very, very good have double the alcohol of what they taste like. Belgians are dangerous too.

Something interesting is I have NO idea what my blood alcohol level is. Does anybody know??? Is there a consumer device that would tell us? I bet if I had that in the parking lot beer session, folks would be very interested to know what the actual data is.

fc
    IPA will save America

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Something interesting is I have NO idea what my blood alcohol level is. Does anybody know??? Is there a consumer device that would tell us? I bet if I had that in the parking lot beer session, folks would be very interested to know what the actual data is.

fc
    Seems like that a product like that would be a huge liability for whoever produces it. Just imagine testing at .04 on your personal reader and then johnny law comes by and you test .10 on their reader. Bad news

Oct 2014
    Never post ride. Only at home when it's late and I don't need to drive out. Never been drunk either, so...

fc
    Buy yourself a breathalyzer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Seems like that a product like that would be a huge liability for whoever produces it. Just imagine testing at .04 on your personal reader and then johnny law comes by and you test .10 on their reader. Bad news
    Exactly right and it has happened
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/24/...re-inaccurate/
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Hmmm, this could have been posted under the KTSO thread as well.

mtbr member
    fc, what do you mean by this, "- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    fc, what do you mean by this, "- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear."
    DUI vs. DWI
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Perpetual Hack
    <edit> Sniped by Jayem with a more succinct answer.

This may not hold fully for all jurisdictions but in a lot of cases....
    You can be still be charged with impaired if you are under the legal maximum.
    Over the legal maximum it a given, under it is at the officers discretion.
    If you are showing obvious signs of impairment, you do not have to be over the alcohol limit. Same for any impairing substance, from cold meds to smack, or any combination including sleep deprivation.

With a Chief of Police for a Grandfather, a cop father, and a cop older brother, I had this drilled into me starting long before I got my licence.
    Last edited by mykel; 04-19-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Jayem
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    This is why I have strategically made myself weigh 250lbs..... (and try to keep to Coors Original or Miller Lite).

In all seriousness, this is a good topic and yes I have thought about it plenty....... and I'm sure I've overdone it a few times as well. I am pretty conscious of it though and try to be responsible. I find only bringing 2 (or 4 if sharing) beers with in a small cooler helps. Bringing a case of beer with is just asking for trouble.

Is it weird that I pretty much ONLY drink after rides anymore? I think I had the same 12-pack in my fridge all winter. I really have no desire to drink anymore unless it's after a ride (or trail building)! Weird.

fc
    So what I understand is this. If you take the breathalyzer test and score a .07, the officer can still handcuff you and take you to jail and impound your car.

Then you'll probably do a blood test in jail and get the definitive answer. So, not a DUI but still a night in the slammer.
    IPA will save America

fc
    The other minor, bike-related detail is... you can't go to Whistler anymore from the US.

They will not let you in at the border.

Significant efforts can result in visa/pleas/permissions can be granted for entry into Canada if one is very motivated. But folks with DUI waltzing up to Whistler are in for a surprise.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The picture, the beers, drinking in a parking lot, “treated like a career criminal” comment... I literally hate the term “white privilege” but that’s what is coming to mind for me when I read the OP. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Generally one beer. We lost a family member to a selfish fool behind the wheel as a reminder of why I try to not mess up. If I have more than one beer it is spread out over a while.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The other minor, bike-related detail is... you can't go to Whistler anymore from the US.

Significant efforts can result in visa/pleas/permissions can be granted for entry into Canada if one is very motivated. But folks with DUI waltzing up to Whistler are in for a surprise.
    This^
    I live in Buffalo just a stones throw from the Canadian border. Many a person has been surprised (and embarrassed) when they are denied entry into Canada due to a DWI/DUI from decades ago.

and a far as the length of time for the negative consequences go, I know some consultants with government contracts and security clearances that will be pulled (in which case you may easily loose your job) if they are even charged with dwi/dui.

Worth the risk?
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Just an FYI getting to a .08 is pretty much just a couple of sips with most alcohol drinks. Especially if there’s no food in your system. They made it this low to prevent the huge problem of under the influence driving. Get one DUI and you’ll learn quickly and DUI’s are a HUGE money grab for the state. Most of us love a good beer and some grub after a ride but it’s not worth it as you’ve found out from what your buddy is going through.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    It's super easy to just, not drink at all before driving. Saves money too. Used to do a 1 drink rule but I'm pretty small so I'm not so sure about it anymore. I feel like an out cast sometimes that I'm not obsessed with drinking all the time like a lot of people. Is a post ride beer the law to some people? I say no to adults giving the 'yeah c'mon have a beer what's wrong with you' acting like teenagers.

No known cure

Here's what I know about the Canada thing from a neighbor who said half the passengers on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska couldn't get off the ship in BC, including him. From one to five years after the DUI you're a no go since DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let felons in. Close to the ten year mark you can write them and pay a fine of under $500 and they find you rehabilitated. That's what I was told anyway.

I only drink after riding if I'm in a campground. I have five highways intertwined here in the mountains and they're heavily patrolled by CHP. I've heard it's one of their training grounds. I don't even drink a beer eating out if I'm driving. There's just too much on the line.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I an attest that even after almost 2 decades and expunging my record I still cannot get entry to Canada----write off any Whistler trip in this lifetime. I did hike across on the pacific crest trail with no issue and flew back with no issues---probably they were just glad to be rid of hiker trash.

Bent, not broken.
    Unless I'm staying in that spot for a while, i.e. camping, or eating a reasonable meal with the beer, I wait until I'm home and in the shower.

It isn't very social, but it does save *a shit ton* of potential legal and career trouble - my work conditions are such that I could lose my job for a DUI conviction.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I almost never had a post-ride beer. I can't hold alcohol without feeling a bit tipsy. Most of the folks I ride with like the stronger/heavier beers. First, I do not care for the tastE of those and two, it affects me quickly.

On the rare ocassions I do have a beer, I am treated oddly -not quite mocking me, but I get the "gasp, YOU'RE drinking a beer?" comment.

If I start feeling the affects, I quit drinking. I'll pour it out rather than finish it.

I'm too old not to know better. First off, I hope I never ever get to the point where I 'think' I am fine to drive then injur somebody.
    But, the fines and penalities are too great to even risk that as part of my life that it's worth it because the laws have gotten tighter. I think the laws should be tighter for exactly the reasons listed in this thread. Because if we can get away with it, we will. Making the law tight like has gotten stops some folks from drinking/driving (me for example). No way do I need that for one drink in an hour and still 'feel okay'.

As for the comment of the officer treating the guy like a criminal -
    1) we weren't there to hear how the person was treated, it's hear-say from a person who was upset they got caught breaking the law.
    2) he is/was a criminal in that moment. Hardened criminal or not the message was sent.

A coworker got a DUI many many years ago, I think he was under 30 at the time. It's not something I have forgotten, and I think a few othes remember/know of it too. The guy just turned 40 for reference. I don't want to be the person that people I know will come to think of me as the guy who drinks and drives. Because I don't, but if I do it once, then I AM that guy.

I think this is a good PSA, and perhaps a reminder for some that take for granted they get home safely each day, and/or get home without hurting others.
    Truthfully I couldn't care less if you hit a light pole and damage your car but that light pole could be a person just as easily.

The older we become the less our eyes can process things, especially in the dark. Now we've been drinking and it's dark. Definitely two negatives stacked on top of each other.

For those responsbible, I thank you for actually being responsible.

Bent, not broken.
    And if you just can't do without an IPA after a ride, the Hoppy Trails Gu isn't bad if you like very thick, very flat, slightly sweet, and warm IPAs.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    He chose to drink alcohol and get behind the wheel of a car. He is lucky a DWI is all he got. Every 51 minutes in America, someone is killed in a drunk driving crash.

I love craft beer, but I don't drink and drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesandguitars View Post
    The picture, the beers, drinking in a parking lot, “treated like a career criminal” comment... I literally hate the term “white privilege” but that’s what is coming to mind for me when I read the OP. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.
    I could be wrong, but im pretty sure the OP is not white.
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Formerly of Kent
    If I got a DUI or DWI, I'd lose my job. So, I don't drink after riding. Or at all, really. Whether it's in a parking lot or a local pub/eatery. I'd rather ride for 3 hours than ride for 2 and drink beers for an hour and a half.

But, I also don't understand the connection that some people have between riding a bicycle and consuming alcohol in general. Some of the threads on this forum, or some of the regional sub-forums, make me think that there are some people that can't make it through a ride, from leaving their house to getting back home, without a couple of drinks in them. The two have no connection to me. I don't "get it".
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    True.

I'd call it "social class privilege".

Drinking in a public parking lot on the tailgate of a $50,000 "Taco" at a trailhead in Santa Cruz is not something that some people could get away with, yet others do it regularly with no consequences.
    Death from Below.

Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    LOL
    Like color of ones skin matters in anything.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Makes you wonder what he did on a major freeway to get pulled.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Makes you wonder what he did on a major freeway to get pulled.
    I thought he pulled over to take a leak...?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    What I came to post, or social status for that matter. There are no excuses anymore to drink and drive, regardless of the situation.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

banned
    Sep 2018
    I've had plenty of post-ride beers in the past. Like many folks, sometimes too many high-octane beers without any food. No more.

I think Norway does it right, .02%. It will never happen in the US due to the alcohol lobby but a low BAC limit has a profound effect on the way a society handles the car/alcohol combo.

Flat Pluto Society
    All I can say is that I've been exTREMEly lucky. I love 🍺.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Here, diagonally!
    Probably best not to think of IPAs as beer - 2 different animals when it comes to alcohol content.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The recent Outside had a pretty cool feature on "recovery" beers, some of which are no-alcohol and some of which are minimal alcohol. Athletic Brewing Company specailizes in no-alcohol "craft" beers. Another good one is the low ABV Dogfish Head Sea Quench Ale (it's a sour... more like a gose with the salty flavor), and they actually consulted with a dude from Gatorade when they made it... so it has electrolytes and such. It's funny, because I"ve often gone to that beer when I'm going to have a long day of drinking in the summer. I was clearly making the athlete's choice. Hah.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I also like hop-oriented kombucha (or even something as simple as Topo Chico) as a "social beverage."

I'm a big drinker, but I've really gotten into finding other "special" drinks to substitute for alcohol when the occasion demands it. Topo has been a savior for me as my "walk in the door from work, need to start dinner, and want to pull something cold out of the fridge" drink.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    for me it is very simple. if I have to drive, you do not drink. simple as that.

I ride from the house all the time.

Downcountry AF

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Here's what I know about the Canada thing from a neighbor who said half the passengers on a cruise from Seattle to Alaska couldn't get off the ship in BC, including him. From one to five years after the DUI you're a no go since DUI is a felony in Canada and they don't let felons in. Close to the ten year mark you can write them and pay a fine of under $500 and they find you rehabilitated. That's what I was told anyway.
    I recently went across the boarder with a couple friends, one of which had 2 felony DWI convictions. Went right across no problem.

We all had passports, not sure if that matters though.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I also ride out my door, but wait until I get home to have beer or wine. I have a zero alcohol policy for myself before driving, so I'm always safe and never need to worry. I also save lots of money by not going to bars or drinking at restaurants.

Bikesexual
    Ok no drink and drving but non-alcoholic beer is nasty.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Nat
    mtbr member

Whoa. How about if you're flying in?

Nat
    mtbr member
    LOL
    Says a white guy?

Utah just lowered their limit DUI limit to 0.05 so beware folks visiting Moab, Gooseberry, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Ok no drink and drving but non-alcoholic beer is nasty.
    The Heineken 0.0 is pretty good. My favorite N/A so far.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by og-mtb View Post
    I've had plenty of post-ride beers in the past. Like many folks, sometimes too many high-octane beers without any food. No more.

I think Norway does it right, .02%. It will never happen in the US due to the alcohol lobby but a low BAC limit has a profound effect on the way a society handles the car/alcohol combo.
    Iceland has a zero limit and I've never seen a culture party that hard. I've been to several house parties and thought, "This is what I've been training my whole life for" and couldn't keep up, and I can but beer away.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I recently found a new alternative to the post ride beer. its call lagunitas hop water and its zero calories and zero alcohol sparkling water with hop extract. it tastes pretty damn close to an ipa and is so refreshing with no guilt and no danger

No known cure
    A couple years ago, I was down at a state beach where my friend is the camp host. I was walked back to his camp ground and found him talking to a state park officer. My friend is also retired LEO. They were talking about drunk driving and the state LEO was saying that there is zero tolerance and everyone will take a ride, even other LEO. Nobody is getting a pass.

We don't even ride our bikes to the bar across PCH, We stumble back over the train tracks.

mtbr member
    Sounds like he needs a better lawyer. If he blew exactly .08 then he should have fought it (assuming .08 is the legal limit). There's a small uncertainty level with the test (LC-MS).

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    a friend flew in and was not allowed to leave the airport---I think flying is worse than driving as they check before you get there----driving there is some odds of getting in

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I thought he pulled over to take a leak...?
    Correct. There was a hidden spot on the freeway interchange to pull in a small lot. He pulled in to take a leak and cop was hanging out there.
    IPA will save America

Cycologist
    I have to be careful enough when I start driving after riding. I'm still into the feeling the centrifugal force around curves and going fast and the road back to the highway from the most popular trail system around me often has cops hanging out. Add in a couple of beers and it could be bad.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    It's all fun and games until you see the flashing lights in the rear view mirror. Been there, done that.

I'm a slow learner though, I don't make it a habit but I do enjoy a few beers with friends after a ride on occasion. Never feel impaired but I don't have a self tester.

LOL
    lol, good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    All I can say is that I've been exTREMEly lucky. I love .
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rox View Post
    I recently found a new alternative to the post ride beer. its call lagunitas hop water and its zero calories and zero alcohol sparkling water with hop extract. it tastes pretty damn close to an ipa and is so refreshing with no guilt and no danger
    This belongs with e-bikes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

slow
    My dislike of beer has saved me tons of money and potential headaches over the years. As much as I mountain bike and as involved as I am in the local MTB community, most people are surprised to find I can't stand beer, especially in this town.

Around here the fine for open container at the trail head is $300, but that seems to deter very few. I ride from home most of the time, but I do sometimes wonder about the other drivers when I do drive home from a trail.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    But, I also don't understand the connection that some people have between riding a bicycle and consuming alcohol in general. Some of the threads on this forum, or some of the regional sub-forums, make me think that there are some people that can't make it through a ride, from leaving their house to getting back home, without a couple of drinks in them. The two have no connection to me. I don't "get it".
    ^ 100% this. It’s my biggest pet peeve in mountain biking and has been for the last 10 years or so. Really it’s why I prefer to ride by myself the majority of the time anymore.

Also - drinking and driving is against the law, PERIOD. You take the chance and eventually the luck will run out. Is it really worth it?
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    This belongs with e-bikes.
    Oh. My. Gawd.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Also - drinking and driving is against the law, PERIOD. You take the chance and eventually the luck will run out. Is it really worth it?
    While that is true, our society practically encourages drinking and driving it and it's accepted.

Think of how many people are in a restaurant on any given night, then think about how many will have at least one drink and get in their car and drive home. Think about how we don't really have public transportation infrastructure in most places (sure, some inner city areas, but think about the entirety here). With bars and restaurants that all serve alcohol and the only viable means of transportation is by your own automobile, it's somewhat encouraged IMO. For many people, it's "automatic" to have a drink with dinner (not for me!).

If the only source of alcohol was from stores where you bought it in-package to take it home, then I wouldn't feel quite the same way, but since it's served in all these places...that you drive to...the behavior of drinking and driving is "accepted" by society to a certain extent IMO. Of course, then it would still show up at the trailheads...

Sneaker man
    This

Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    ^ 100% this. It’s my biggest pet peeve in mountain biking and has been for the last 10 years or so. Really it’s why I prefer to ride by myself the majority of the time anymore.
    and this...

I just don't get it. Just done a big ride, am knackered, the last thing I want is a beer.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I just don't get it. Just done a big ride, am knackered, the last thing I want is a beer.

And I don't get that. I don't always have a beer after a ride but I pretty much always want one. So delicious and refreshing, pure nectar!

We're all individuals.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    I think with rideshare companies, you DON'T have to drive if you go out for some drinks.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Just an FYI getting to a .08 is pretty much just a couple of sips with most alcohol drinks. Especially if there’s no food in your system. They made it this low to prevent the huge problem of under the influence driving. Get one DUI and you’ll learn quickly and DUI’s are a HUGE money grab for the state. Most of us love a good beer and some grub after a ride but it’s not worth it as you’ve found out from what your buddy is going through.
    Umm, no. It takes more than a couple of sips unless you weight about 75 pounds.

There's plenty of charts that will show you estimated BAC based on weight and a standard drink.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    The Heineken 0.0 is pretty good. My favorite N/A so far.
    I had read some reviews when searching for better or decent tasting light beer or n/a. Heineken came up on both as top choices.
    I drink beer for taste and not chugging it because I'm thirsty nor do I want a 'buzz'.

ABV for sure-
    Been getting more and more careful of the abv and just noting it as it relates. The preferred beers for me are the craft type.
    I normally drink my beer slow and it often warms to just a bit cool or above room temp.
    Rides are a good time to chat and have a post-ride brew but I'm am cautious and consider myself a lightweight. I can get a one beer buzz if advanced beyond the slow sipping / enjoyment phase and down one a bit fast. Fast for me isn't probably what others consider fast either. I'm 165#, 5'11" and BMI at 23 or so. It's chancy and if I'm rushed to have time for a beer in that case, I'll skip it b/c too fast might get me feeling loopy. As others said, too much at risk.

* Two states now have the newer limit changes to .05.

I once managed some patient care / security issues for a few years and had a patient with a BAL of .485 who crashed his mtn bike riding in the woods or canyons. He was quite lucid , walking talking and ready to try escaping - lol.

If I got a DUI or DWI, I'd lose my job. So, I don't drink after riding. Or at all, really. Whether it's in a parking lot or a local pub/eatery. I'd rather ride for 3 hours than ride for 2 and drink beers for an hour and a half.
    + Those offenses are nothing to sneeze at for any and could cost many a job or at least a costly life - changing event.

Some of it may just be perception on the forums. People love to talk about their beer or partying. Over-representing the fun and glamour of life I a popular trend, even if by accident.
    I often talk about biking, send emails or post pics on fb of my bike or trails and rides. My friends or family interpret that within the context of other things I post or mention and then think I live on my bike much the same way my Michigan family think we get 6 foot blankets of snow every time news reports snow coming to the rocky mountains.

I'd think those spending 2 hours of 3 or even 2 of 5 drinking beer or guzzling in quantity whether bowling, riding moto dirt bikes, bicycles, playing poker or sitting on their veranda have incorporated it into everything they do.
    Seen as more centered toward biking or mountain biking is probably just due to our focus and exposure on a given activity rather than fishing, hunting or weekend patio get-to-gethers.

I'm not out when things are really busy but in Colorado Springs, most of the riders I see are pretty seriously geared up and out moving about with a sense of purpose that seems beyond finding a parking lot to party in.
    I do have a beer around some biking activity.
    For me, it's just that subtle relaxing time to kick back and relax with a few like-minded riders afterward. In my case, it's one beer and the bike ride and plan is pretty much an entire experience. Mostly the camaraderie or fellowship. I'm not a solo inspired soul -

With the group of friends associated, it's a meet up to ride for something in the 2 hour or plus range depending on the route and our schedules. Post-ride, rarely does anybody rush off, so we have a brew and time to chat about the ride, trails or whatever. Along the ride earlier, there usually isn't a lot of opportunity for chat or small talk.
    I'd say that amounts to 120 minutes of ride time, fun, challenge and fitness and 30 to 45 minutes of cool-down / fellowship.

Truly, there is nothing inherently better or more fun on these rides versus some other's with different people I ride with where we don't have a beer.
    Those as often as not, end up at a lunch or breakfast destination and are every bit the fun and adventure I look forward to.
    I know enough about the fellow beer enthusiasts (my ride friends) to say it's not beer we center our plans around, that's not the lure. Outdoors, grass stains on our Big Boy Pants ,,, all that stuff around biking, getting better at it or just pushing away some lazy tendencies is enough.
    I can also attest to many of our outings offering us a chance to try a new brew unfamiliar to us that just gives us another thing to contemplate or chat about.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:21 AM.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    a friend flew in and was not allowed to leave the airport---I think flying is worse than driving as they check before you get there----driving there is some odds of getting in
    Getting stopped going through Victoria on a cruise may be the worst.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh … yeah, and clever."
    — David St. Hubbins

mbtr member
    Terrible luck for your friend! He pulled himself over!

I'll have a post-ride beer in the parking lot occasionally, but more than 1 makes me feel achey/crampy and hampers recovery. So DUI isn't a worry.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesandguitars View Post
    In context this is super funny. FC isn't white, and lives in a place where white (and every other race) is a minority. Perception of race is pretty different from monochromatic colorado.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Personally for me, if I know I have to drive, I wont drink. Yes, I know thats boring but getting a DUI or worst, killing or injuring someone is just not worth it.

When I was younger and used to bar hop, I had many nights that I would slept in the backset of my Chevy Blazer in the parking lot. I never took the risk and think no one should. Making a stupid mistake that can result in a death or injury is something I cant feel sorry for the person doing it.
    EXODUX Jeff

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm gettin' older and rarely drink anymore. My preferred after ride drink is Skratch Labs recovery mix, it's amazing.

In the past, I had after ride beers but almost never more than one, and I do still own a mini breathalyzer I got at Costco. It may not be extremely accurate but it is interesting.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    While that is true, our society practically encourages drinking and driving it and it's accepted.
    Several legislative sessions ago, a state legislator stood on the floor and raged about how our tightening alcohol control laws were destroying a Montana way of life. We’re a citizen legislature, and he owns a bar in a tiny rural town. That made national news.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Umm, no. It takes more than a couple of sips unless you weight about 75 pounds.

There's plenty of charts that will show you estimated BAC based on weight and a standard drink.
    Umm no, you trust those charts? A couple of sips and you are on the edge of being over that low .08 level. A beer, a glass of wine, a shot or a mixed drink and you are over. A couple of sips is pretty much a drink, no? Besides most cops only need smell it on you and you are treated like a criminal. Out in the street taking all their tests. Questioned repeatedly, calling for a backup cop to come because the cop doesnt have a portable breathalyzer. Hauled in and given another breathalyzer at the station. Yes .08 is nothing and it doesn’t take much to get there. And it doesn’t even take for a cop to witness bad driving. Another citizen can call your plate in and the cops will be waiting on your street for you to arrive. Even the people serving the alcohol can get your name off your credit card and call it in to the cops and the cops will be on your street waiting for you to come home.

No known cure
    Even in the small mountain town I live in of 10,000, there's Lyft, Uber and three private ride options. At the other pad in Surprise, AZ, it cost six bucks to get a ride for a mile round trip for more beer.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Conspiracy much? There's a hidden app on your phone that constantly monitors your BAC through your breath and skin. It links directly to the closest police department based on your GPS.

Oh, don't forget the black helicopters ...

Umm no, you trust those charts? A couple of sips and you are on the edge of being over that low .08 level. A beer, a glass of wine, a shot or a mixed drink and you are over. A couple of sips is pretty much a drink, no? Besides most cops only need smell it on you and you are treated like a criminal. Out in the street taking all their tests. Questioned repeatedly, calling for a backup cop to come because the cop doesnt have a portable breathalyzer. Hauled in and given another breathalyzer at the station. Yes .08 is nothing and it doesn’t take much to get there. And it doesn’t even take for a cop to witness bad driving. Another citizen can call your plate in and the cops will be waiting on your street for you to arrive. Even the people serving the alcohol can get your name off your credit card and call it in to the cops and the cops will be on your street waiting for you to come home.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    This original post is a little bit incomprehensible and somewhat free of facts.

Sounds like your "friend's" case hasn't been adjudicated yet, so not clear why all the assumptions and assertions about things that haven't yet happened.

While I appreciate that your friend's life has hit a speed bump, that's really all it is. People get DUIs when they make poor choices. He'll get over it.

2.5 strong beers (which means 4 or 5 beers if his reporting is like most people when asked how much they had to drink) at his weight on an empty stomach post-exercise would put him right around that .08 range.

If he's this shaken up over a DUI, he likely has no idea what a "career criminal" is treated like. That said, the average patrol cop or DUI/traffic cop has likely seen way more than their share of the death and carnage that drunk drivers create. Many of them have little sympathy in this regard.

CA's laws are different than AZ, so no comment there, except to say the in-car breathalyzer thing is common as is the officer's ability to suspend your driving privilege immediately IF (and generally only if) you refuse to take the required field sobriety tests that you agreed to when you signed to get your driver's license.

Anyway, your friend isn't quadriplegic and he didn't kill or injure anyone else, so this bump in the road will pass. I'm sure he's a nice guy and he made a mistake. It happens.

As others have said, I don't personally understand this correlation between riding and beer. I mean, I like beer as much as the next guy, but I can't remember ever having a beer in the parking lot after a ride. Just not something I'm interested in doing. I can wait until I get to the safety of my own house.

I started this same topic in a regional forum but wanted to bring this up here as well:

So I was at the local trail - club ride on Wednesday. A good friend said he was not drinking beer and I asked why. He said he got a post-ride DUI on Highway 85 on Dec 27. Two and half good beers for his 170lb body got him to .08 blood/alcohol level.

His life has been turned upside down with $7k expenses so far, jail, pending trial and 20 days of labor possible. I talked to him for 20 minutes and got all the details.

Things I learned:

- 2 .5 IPAs, post-ride got him to .08 level

- 6 months of misery until it's all behind him

- about 20 days of duty, usually labor clean-up. Community service will be around double that since easier work

- CHP treated him like a career criminal

- the longer you wait for the breathalyzer test, the more your blood alcohol rises for about 3 hours

- after Jan 1, 2019, they need to install an expensive breathalyzer device on your car to start it.

- can take away your license on the spot, before trial

- Just because you're under .08, doesn't mean you're in the clear.

So this is just a share of what I learned a couple days ago. If you have more info to add/correct, please do so. It is a tough subject since it's part of what we do... ie, me.

We try to drink responsibly and this is the first-case (that I know of) in my circle. The shame/guilt is intense so I'm glad he shared with me.

Thoughts? You have a post-ride beer at the parking lot, brewery or not at all?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	394724_3943065248446_1253365421_n.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1247561

mbtr member
    Umm no, you trust those charts? A couple of sips and you are on the edge of being over that low .08 level. A beer, a glass of wine, a shot or a mixed drink and you are over. A couple of sips is pretty much a drink, no?
    It's the little clues that give up the ruse. Dirtjunkie is an elf. Like, keebler, not legolas.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

No known cure

It's the outdoor lifestyle we've been sold. Every outdoor activity is followed with a party. We're blowing off steam and in some cases seeing friends we haven't seen in a while and catching up over several beers. Hell, there's even low octane "session" beers out now. When I was a kid camping on the Kern River in the 70's, all the white water rafters were drunk as eff.

I first found MTBR by a full page ad in a 1997 edition of Dirt Rag. It featured a handfull of friends on a deck drinking beer. I've been here ever since.

Having said that, I don't drink and ride, surf or snowboard, but once the keys are hung up it's party time.

One ring to mash them all
    I can't remember the last time I had a beer at the trail head after a ride.

May be the weed, IDK.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and, uh … yeah, and clever."
    — David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Conspiracy much? There's a hidden app on your phone that constantly monitors your BAC through your breath and skin. It links directly to the closest police department based on your GPS.

Oh, don't forget the black helicopters ...
    I don’t know where you get off saying that but there’s one in every crowd. I’m one of the ones who’s the furthest away from believing in any conspiracy theories on any subject. But assume away like you already did if it makes you feel better.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    What if you are involved in an accident on the way home but still below the limit? If someone claims injury and that it's your fault you could wind up spending a lot of money defending yourself for a long time over a beer. It's just not worth it anymore. People sue if they think they have any chance of getting money. With a good lawyer it doesn't matter who's fault it is because they get paid either way so it's in their best interest to keep the case going, and if you had alcohol in your system you have to work twice as hard to defend yourself.

mtbr member
    Man, you guys are making me feel like a full blown alcoholic. Sometimes I go for a good, hard ride just because it makes my nightly beer taste so much better. It's not nearly as enjoyable otherwise.

I do wait until I'm home and showered though. Usually.

Now I'm thirsty, going for a ride
    I brake for stinkbugs

Barely in control
    Thoughts? You have a post-ride beer at the parking lot, brewery or not at all?
    Assuming you're drinking responsibly: Wash your mouth out and your face with soap before driving. Keep it with the lane. Don't ever admit to drinking at all and hire a lawyer.

The career drunks that get a dozen DUI and crash and kill people are still on the road. Society has given up on controlling them. There's no reason to be a victim of the police state because the police state has given up on controlling the real problem criminals.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I ride out the front door and eat food when I get home. When I was younger I almost got creamed riding a vintage bmx on the el camino, with a bottle and a half of Chuck Shaw in me. Before that, I injured my back snowboarding on joints and jungle juice. I finally learned and now only take in caffeine and ginseng.

Alcohol is physically addictive, exertion is gonna trigger that need. Food is far far better for recovery.

banned
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    There's no reason to be a victim of the police state because the police state has given up on controlling the real problem criminals.
    This is nonsense.

Folks who decide to drive after drinking too much are not any type of victim, let alone the victim of a "police state."

Oct 2014
    This is nonsense.

Folks who decide to drive after drinking too much are not any type of victim, let alone the victim of a "police state."
    A family member of mine was caught driving drunk. It cost him a lot of money and years of lost money due to inability to get his job back.

Although sad, he never drank again...

I very much dislike drunk drivers. 2.5 IPAs is definitely too much to drive. He was treated like a criminal? That's because he was over the limit. Too many deaths caused by drunk drivers. So yeah, he was not treated with respect. He got what he deserved.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Man, you guys are making me feel like a full blown alcoholic. Sometimes I go for a good, hard ride just because it makes my nightly beer taste so much better. It's not nearly as enjoyable otherwise.

I do wait until I'm home and showered though. Usually.

Now I'm thirsty, going for a ride
    Yeah, a lot of feedback seems to run the gamut of "I don't ever drink alcohol",
    "no, never nothing at all - until I get home" or the idea that anything else is over-consumption and shouldn't be related to biking.
    Go out and toss a Frisbee around on a warm day, play recreational baseball or work in the yard and a frosty beverage is a fine reward though !

When someone likes beer as much as the next guy but would never consider packing a brew or a few to share with post ride buddies when by design, the post ride (mine) is a usual kick back, relax and chat for a bit...... that's a fine choice but sometimes the next guy is a 1 beer a day guy who has decided to top off the day or the ride with a beer and post ride conversation.
    When I'm thirsty, I'll chug water and I stay well hydrated on the bike. When I want to enjoy a beer, I'm not dying of thirst- I relax and take time to appreciate a good one. Sometimes it's a wrap up at a coffee shop with pastries.
    This makes a bike ride less a chore or fitness detail and more a fun outing and total experience.

I'm not sure how less safe I am then at home with my one beer menu but I know abv, time and food on board are all things to consider. If not heads up about being safe and responsible, waiting til later or at home is a perfect choice and I applaud those that make that distinction.

Not all are rides or riders are as leisurely, nor go out for rides in part for social activity or have the time to relax and chat after a ride so there are plenty of reasons anyone may not pack a brew or have one post ride even when they do like beer as much as the next guy.

Not a role model
    Always did bother me how people would drink beers post-ride, then drive. Just knew that I'd face the wrath of many if I spoke too strongly about it.

I just figure that when people are left to make their own choices, all there is to stop them from making questionable decisions is their own conscious/morals*, and conformity bias. I'm just glad that I socialize with people who don't "hammer down the nail that sticks out" (proverb about how peers pressure others into conformity), and respects my individual choice to not participate in such a self-reward cultural trend. I just try to avoid pushing my principles onto others, since I recognize society has gone from greasing the wheel that squeaks, to outright replacing the wheel and disposing of the old one (and burning it if makes them angry enough, see Galileo vs the Church), and that non-conformity invites criticism.

Just gotta find that fine balance that can be tolerated...

* the way I see what happened in the above DUI example, is that someone essentially admitted that their moral integrity was defeated by their self-righteousness. Their self-righteousness essentially re-drew the line which should not be crossed, in regards to judging what's considered okay and what's considered bad/wrong, to be more lenient. When their mind's idea of that line didn't match with society's and they got punished for it, it served as a reality check, and this story was made to warn others to not stretch their internal justifications that skirt punishment...

The White Jeff W
    I have a few friends who seem like they cant wait to get the ride over so they can start drinking. I dont ride with them often but I do enjoy the hang with them occasionally. Personally, Im there for the ride and often ride alone or with one or two like minded folks. Food and a couple cold ones after the ride happens from time to time but usually it's a few fist bumps and home for a shower.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I have a few friends who seem like they cant wait to get the ride over so they can start drinking. I dont ride with them often but I do enjoy the hang with them occasionally. Personally, Im there for the ride and often ride alone or with one or two like minded folks. Food and a couple cold ones after the ride happens from time to time but usually it's a few fist bumps and home for a shower.
    A few post ride brewskis with the boys every now and then is harmless. However, showering with them is something I've stopped doing. I miss it, but promised my girlfriend to spend more time with her.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    A few post ride brewskis with the boys every now and then is harmless. However, showering with them is something I've stopped doing. I miss it, but promised my girlfriend to spend more time with her.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ha! Nice one.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Right? Whenever I hear someone say “police state” I think it’s likely a sovereign citizen whacko or someone whose brain got fried by too much LSD and the Dead Kennedys in the ‘80s.

You should travel to an actual police state for some perspective. Start in Singapore since you’re less likely to get murdered.

This is nonsense.

Monkey Wrangler
    Interesting thread.

First off, you BAC means little if you flunked your field sobriety tests. People who are a .08 can range between no noticeable intoxication to slurred speech and trouble standing up. People are not arrested on what they blow in the machine, they are arrested for passing or failing their field sobriety tests. The breathalyzer just confirms what the arresting officer already knows, he/she has already made the decision to arrest or not arrest based upon your test scores.

A DUI arrest is a choice made by the individual. The OP sounds like the arrest ruined his friends life, while the friend was the one who made the choice and got caught. He's lucky he didn't ruin anyone else's (or run over another cyclist, getting hit by a drunk driver is a huge concern of mine while riding my gravel bike), just because you are at or below the legal limit does not mean you are not feeling the affects of alcohol in your system.

mtbr member
    29 people a day die from DUI related accidents. Either they die, or kill someone. Its like a pretty severe mass shooting, but every single day.

I'll flat out own up to it. I cant drink just one beer. Ill drink all the beers. I would take very serious notice of yourself if you cant have just one beer after a ride. I cant count the amount of times ive had 3 or 4 post ride IPA's and hopped straight in my car! Thats absolutely DUI territory.

I dont drink anymore since I really cant do it responsibly. The fact is that millions of you guys can drink a beer after a ride and drive home perfectly fine and under the limit. Great. I cant. The guy in the OP's story couldnt either. If you cant too, Its kinda nice being able to learn someone elses lesson instead of having a DUI ruin your life too.

If you cant have just one, Its seriously time to stop drinking in the parking lot.

Meatbomb
    In Az it is advised to decline the FST but submit to the breath, blood or urine sample. The field test never prove you sober but can provide evidence to impairment. The law states you can be charged if you are proven to be impaired to any degree.

Rides all the bikes!
    I am lucky, virtually none of my MTB riding group drinks. One tokes a little too much, but no drinking. I have no interest in it. I used to drink on occasion, mostly at home with my ex. But when she admitted to being an alcoholic and sobered up, I quit drinking too and haven't had one since (even though we are divorced).

The drinking culture thing is a choice. You choose to be in that culture. I chose not to be. Alcohol does absolutely nothing positive for me, and in my experience, nothing positive for anyone else either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Alcohol does absolutely nothing positive for me, and in my experience, nothing positive for anyone else either.

You don't know everyone.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You don't know everyone.
    No one does, but we do have statistics. I think if you change his comment to "nothing positive for most people", its pretty fair, no?

Just statistically, drinking is crazy bad for society. My hats off to all you guys who have a couple beers every now and then and never have a problem... but I sure see a lot of swerving drivers out every single Saturday night literally anywhere I go. Maybe they're screwing it up for the responsible people, but either way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    No one does, but we do have statistics. I think if you change his comment to "nothing positive for most people", its pretty fair, no?

That's probably a lot more fair. I just think demonizing people who get together and have a beer or two after a ride now and then is a little over the top. I'm not talking about getting drunk, or alcoholism, but a few beers with good friends can be an enjoyable occasion (for some) and hurts no one.

ymmv
    I brake for stinkbugs

Formerly of Kent
    No joke, after reading this thread yesterday, I was pedaling home and what did I see?

One of the guys I saw drinking in the parking lot after his ride doing a field sobriety test.
    Death from Below.

No known cure
    No joke, after reading this thread yesterday, I was pedaling home and what did I see?

One of the guys I saw drinking in the parking lot after his ride doing a field sobriety test.
    I guess he didn't see this thread.

Co Springs

I'd say it's default 'we' get the attention we deserve- (how I feel about most any traffic related LEO encounter I've had) and this guy was either seen drinking or his driving ablility was a clue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast