Poll: What do you do most of the time after a ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Post Ride Body Cleanup Poll

I'm considering a new entrepreneurial venture that focuses on getting clean after outdoor adventures (mainly mountain biking). As an avid rider, I've tried every which way to get sweat, bugs, dirt, mud, and blood off my body after a ride so that I can drive without destroying my car interior and be acceptable walking into home or a bar.

Now, I'd love to know what you do to cleanup, if anything at all. Please fill out this short poll so I can determine what I'm up against with my business ideas. Feel free to comment too.

Assuming you are driving to your riding destination, how do you clean your body most of the time after a ride?
    Last edited by whitet777; 07-31-2018 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Needed to clarify the poll

Live 2 Ride
    I ride 99 percent of the time on pavement or gravel so I rarely wash the bike.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks, but I meant how do you clean your own body, not your bike. I'll try to clarify the poll.

Live 2 Ride
    LOL, no problem. I usually take a shower when I get home. No car, my rides start and end at home.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Perfect. Thanks. I wish I didn't have to drive somewhere, but at least the trails are awesome once I drive there.

mtbr member
    I change into semi-clean (non bike) clothes at the trailhead which is plenty acceptable for any bar around here. Maybe wash my face in the restroom, either way shower at home.

I have seat covers in my car.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    I only bring a change of clothes if riding with a group or buddies and we are going to lunch.

Other than that..home -> trail -> home and shower, after a beer and some food.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Usually just a towel draped over my seat does the trick. My main trail isnít very far from home so I donít mind being a little sweaty until I get home and Iím not typically covered in dirt. Just a light coating of dust on the shins.

I keep an extra water bottle and small towel in my trunk to wipe off excess dirt if I have a crash or thereís a couple mud puddles hanging around that I splash through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I usually take a clean shirt and shorts. Change in the car if I'm dirty. Some spray on deodorant if I have to go anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I drive home and shower, never really thought about keeping the car clean. If I'm doing an immediate post-ride drink I drive to the bar and drink. I have a small towel in the car for a cursory wipe-down, usually enough to not scare people.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Have in the car water jugs, towel and clothes so I rinse at the trail head, dry up, change clothes and head home or to the brewery.

mtbr member
    99% of my rides start and end at my front door. when I drive, I bring a beach towel with me and cover the seat with it. supposedly this keeps the sweat from soaking into the seat fabric but there's a stank in the car either way.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    93.7% of my rides are ride from and to home, then shower.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Have in the car water jugs, towel and clothes so I rinse at the trail head, dry up, change clothes and head home or to the brewery.
    Same here. Maybe a little Technu, just in case.

I really like babywipes, but they're too small. If someone made REASONABLY-priced man-sized ones, I'd probably pick up summa doze.
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    93.7% of my rides are ride from and to home, then shower.
    You told me it was 93.3%. What the #@*^#+?
    Khizr Khan

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You told me it was 93.3%. What the #@*^#+?
    I'm very precise and got one more ride in.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    I didn't want to pick 'other', but really, mine is 'other'.

I don't clean up or shower at all and voted that way.

I do bring a clean t-shirt and I ditch my shoes and socks in favor of flip flops. That's pretty common in summer and near it. In cooler weather I just drive home without changing anything. Rarely I might bring a change of shorts but only if I'm doing something after where I definitely can't wear a chamois and (possibly) dirty baggies, like going out for dinner.

I used to ride my road bike over lunch a few jobs back. (Can't do it now.) I tried baby wipes in a bathroom stall and they don't do shit. A major problem is that I sweat for about 30-45 minutes after the ride ends so nothing helps that except a cold shower...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    ...I bring a beach towel with me and cover the seat with it. supposedly this keeps the sweat from soaking into the seat fabric but there's a stank in the car either way.
    My wife does yoga 5-6 days a week. Her interior is cloth. She gets into the car without changing, and her car has what I call the 'yoga girl funk'.

My leather seats thus far have not gotten funky. but she's way sweatier after hot yoga than I am after a MTB ride. baggy shorts vs yoga pants, no contest.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Name:  fa2d97b0-489a-41d5-8544-a2272d1820bd_1.fc8d6e14097ac68ad9bbff4c06043440.jpeg
Views: 586
Size:  14.5 KB

Fill it with water and throw it in your vehicle. Towel off.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I didn't want to pick 'other', but really, mine is 'other'.

I don't clean up or shower at all and voted that way.

I do bring a clean t-shirt and I ditch my shoes and socks in favor of flip flops. That's pretty common in summer and near it. In cooler weather I just drive home without changing anything. Rarely I might bring a change of shorts but only if I'm doing something after where I definitely can't wear a chamois and (possibly) dirty baggies, like going out for dinner.

I used to ride my road bike over lunch a few jobs back. (Can't do it now.) I tried baby wipes in a bathroom stall and they don't do shit. A major problem is that I sweat for about 30-45 minutes after the ride ends so nothing helps that except a cold shower...
    Sitting in a sweat-soaked bike chamois/shorts for any amount of time after a ride is disgusting, I don't care where you're from.
    Khizr Khan

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Sitting in a sweat-soaked bike chamois/shorts for any amount of time after a ride is disgusting, I don't care where you're from.
    Agree, that's the main reason for the change of clothes even in the winter and an added benefit is that the car doesn't get stinky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You guys rock. Keep the responses coming.

Thanks

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Name:  fa2d97b0-489a-41d5-8544-a2272d1820bd_1.fc8d6e14097ac68ad9bbff4c06043440.jpeg

Great idea. Plus, you can have bikini-clad cheerleaders wash your car when you're done rinsing off.

Post Ride Body Cleanup Poll-gallery_carwash_main6.jpg

Not sure which trailhead this is, but imma find out.
    Khizr Khan

Nat
    mtbr member
    If Iím stopping at a restaurant on the way home I use a wet washcloth at the trailhead, then change into clean casual clothes.

If Iím going straight home then I donít bother cleaning up unless itís a long drive (> 30 minutes).

mtbr member
    okay
    Last edited by tealy; 10-27-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Interplanetary Poultry
    I climb into the back of my SUV and change into my riding gear at the trailhead. Then I wipe down and change back into my regular clothes after the ride. I normally have other errands to run after my rides so changing out of my riding gear is imperative.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Bikesexual
    I can't get dressed without a shower first, so if need to I just put regular shorts over the chamois, and a Tshirt.

My local trails are all close by, and my car doesn't stink. ..so I think!

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Like most - remove as much dust and dirt as possible with a towel, ditch my 5.10's for a pair of Crocs, cover my seat with a beach towel and head for home. If I have plans for lunch/dinner after, I change into clean stuff. After everything is out of my truck after arriving home, I give the interior a healthy squirt of Febreze.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I with the clean shorts, t-shirt and flip flops after a ride crowd. I'll also grab some of my kiddos baby wipes if I'm grabbing a beer or a meal afterward.

I can't stand to be in sweaty riding clothes for more than 5 minutes after a ride.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Cycologist
    I have seat covers on my car seats plus some doggy type covers I will throw on after a ride if really sweaty/dirty, especially in the summertime. And I try to remember a small towel to wipe down and at least a shirt to change into if I'm stopping somewhere on my way home, unless it's just Home Depot.

My car can smell a bit funky; I bought some cherry airfresher sticks so now it smells like sweat/cherry Now or Laters (or so my kids tell me).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I put a large dry towel over my seats after drying sweat. I donít generally ride in the south where you get so soaked thereís no way to dry. Occasionally I use baby wipes. Dropping the shorts shell and using the chamois as underwear (with pants) works well too if not too wet. Usually in temperate locations you stop sweating when you stop riding and you start to dry out.

I just keep a few large towels in the car and some baby wipes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Most of my rides are around home at 64 I'm not doing jumps or real technical stuff. SO ride around home and shower after. If I ride to someplace and work up a good sweat I'll bring a change of clothes so I'm not sitting in the sweat and drive home and shower.

I surf fish too, I carry beach towels in my Jeep (leather seats) for protection and will use them after biking. I try to protect the seats as best I can but they do take a beating at times. But they clean up real easy.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I change into semi-clean (non bike) clothes at the trailhead which is plenty acceptable for any bar around here. Maybe wash my face in the restroom, either way shower at home.

I have seat covers in my car.
    Seriously?
    You mirror my trailhead return. Plus bar visits straight from the trailhead are rare. Iím too paranoid someoneís going to jack my ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    99% of the time, I bike to and from the house when I ride. On the off chance I drive somewhere, I change shoes at the trailhead, drive home, and shower.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

nya
    mtbr member
    If I drive somewhere , I shower back at home and drive dirty. If too dirty I will use w/e available (towel or cleaner clothing) to get rid of the mud and shower at home. But most rides I do not have to drive anywhere, so just shower when finished.
    XCO results, races, riders etc http://mtbcrosscountry.com

gearing ratios calculator http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    But I'm sure your entrepreneurial venture could work. Look at all the idiots buying those fancy bike washes cause dish soap and a rag isn't like enduro.
    Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Take my shoes off and put a towel on the seat, at least up until a couple of weeks ago when I finally upgraded my thrashed old Honda wagon for a slightly-less-old-and-thrashed Honda wagon. Man, it's hard work having a car you're supposed to look after!! Now I'll throw all my muddy gear in a plastic bin and put a towel down if I'm really wet/filthy.

I've never seen anyone using wipes after a ride, I guess if you live somewhere dry and dusty? Trying to clean yourself up without a garden hose or shower when your bike looks like this after a winter ride seems a little laughable...

Post Ride Body Cleanup Poll-3.jpg

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Take my shoes off and put a towel on the seat, at least up until a couple of weeks ago when I finally upgraded my thrashed old Honda wagon for a slightly-less-old-and-thrashed Honda wagon. Man, it's hard work having a car you're supposed to look after!! Now I'll throw all my muddy gear in a plastic bin and put a towel down if I'm really wet/filthy.

I've never seen anyone using wipes after a ride, I guess if you live somewhere dry and dusty? Trying to clean yourself up without a garden hose or shower when your bike looks like this after a winter ride seems a little laughable...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	1210443
    When I lived in VA it wasn't too uncommon to get back to the car looking like that. Shoes and riding gear went in a plastic bag, accompanied by the wet towel used to wipe the mud off. Then put the bike on the rack. Yeah, out here in the land of no rain, it's just a matter of wiping off some dust.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post

Not all that hard, as long as you have a plastic bag or bin to put your dirty clothes and the wipes in. Bring clean change of clothes. I've done many races where my bike looked like that at the end and I had all kinds of mud, but I plan ahead and always have stuff to change into and towels, etc. Not that hard. The hardest part is usually cleaning the bike at the end. I don't use pressure, because it washes the grease out of the bearings.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Professional Crastinator
    Other: I bring extra clothes and wipe off with the inside-out dirty clothes. That's usually "good enough".

I do keep a dry towel/rag on hand just in case.

If I know it's going to be messy, I might bring a damp towel in a bag (sometimes frozen, so it's nice and cool by the time I use it).

For a full-on trail shower, baby wipes - for when there's no time to stop home to clean up. But this almost never happens.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I bought a seat protector for like 20 bucks at the auto store and put that on when i'm really dusty or sweaty, sometimes if i remember I will bring an extra shirt and change into that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I take a change of clothes then get a proper shower at home although I don't often take the bike in the car and when I do it's in good weather, the rest of the time I ride from home and I do like being able to head straight into the shower.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    I wipe off heavy sweat and loose dirt, pull out the forest from my shoes & socks, then shower once I get home... then pass out for a good 1 - 1.5 hrs

Don't worry, be happy!
    "Dude Wipes"? Wow, this is really a thing.

mtbr member
    I prefer the buttery smooth pleasantly scented baby wipes. Especially the eco-friendly ones.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I saw that too

A better name would be "Chipotle-away wipes"... carry them in a satchel a.k.a man purse
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Yeah, they were featured on Shark Tank. I'm underwhelmed with their shower wipes. Small, but thick. Scent is not pleasant. Takes several to clean up my legs after a ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm lucky. Where I ride an elevated frost free spigot is close by and operational in the warm months. I have to sit on the ground and "shower."

In the winter, I strip my clothes off, bag'em and rinse them in a washbasin at home (before the washing machine); and I wash my shoes in a nearby stream.

Take spare/dry clothes to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Why can't you bring portable shower?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why can't you bring portable shower?

See LBB's post..

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    See LBB's post..

True, but you'd still need a towel, rag, or something to dry off with, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post

That doesn't seem to be a difficult obstacle to overcome.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Bikesexual
    Yep, since Picard asked I was hoping for a new thread.."what towels do you use"
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Yep, since Picard asked I was hoping for a new thread.."what towels do you use"

That could be another poll. Great idea.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any other opinions? Great poll so far, but hoping to get 100 participants.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I leave my body wet after shower

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    What this word "cleaning" is mean? Ridin' dirty.

OK, but really I drive ~15 minutes to the trail and just throw a towel over the seat on the way back home (2 if it's 90+ and humid) and then shower immediately. If it were farther I'd employ the sprayer method mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Does anyone get crap from their significant other coming into the house dirty, tracking in mud, and funking up the shower or is it just me?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I normally bring a couple of my staff along to give me a good wipe down after the ride, but if it's handy I will end the ride at a spa for a full treatment.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Depends on what Iím doing after riding. If Iím heading home Iíll throw on a clean dry shirt and shower when i get home.

I always have a package of baby wipes in case I have to run a few errands on the way home and/or got real dirty, bloody etc and a change of shorts and shirt in my bag.

J-

mtbr member
    Does anyone get crap from their significant other coming into the house dirty, tracking in mud, and funking up the shower or is it just me?

Never heard of funking up a shower. I thought their purpose was to remove dirt?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Same here. Maybe a little Technu, just in case.

I really like babywipes, but they're too small. If someone made REASONABLY-priced man-sized ones, I'd probably pick up summa doze.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I normally bring a couple of my staff along to give me a good wipe down after the ride, but if it's handy I will end the ride at a spa for a full treatment.
    https://youtu.be/lj2tIDXpKCk?t=163
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Never heard of funking up a shower. I thought their purpose was to remove dirt?
    Until my wife finds dirt all over the shower floor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I use lysol wipes

mtbr member
    Until my wife finds dirt all over the shower floor.

Huh, I suppose you could try rinsing the dirt down the drain.
    I brake for stinkbugs

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I hear there's this thing called taking your shoes off. Try it. Clothes, too. Anyone who would be so inconsiderate to not think about how their actions affect their SO has problems that a product won't fix.

mtbr member
    I went for a ride just after dawn this morning and in 8 miles of woodland singletrack I rode through dozens of large spider . Maybe 40 to 50.

That stuff doesn't come out of arm or leg hair easily.

So there's a feature request for this product-to-be.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I went for a ride just after dawn this morning and in 8 miles of woodland singletrack I rode through dozens of large spider . Maybe 40 to 50.

That stuff doesn't come out of arm or leg hair easily.

So there's a feature request for this product-to-be.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I hate being the first rider on a trail. Spider webs are terrible! Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    I hear there's this thing called taking your shoes off. Try it. Clothes, too. Anyone who would be so inconsiderate to not think about how their actions affect their SO has problems that a product won't fix.
    Even with my shoes and bibs off, mud falls off of my legs as I walk to the shower. I'm as considerate as I can be.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Even with my shoes and bibs off, mud falls off of my legs as I walk to the shower. I'm as considerate as I can be.
    Uh huh. Broom & dustpan works for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have seat covers and if it's summer, strip down to the basics (just bike shorts...I'm a guy) and drive home like that. Clean up better once I'm home. If it's winter, same basic process, but leave on the base layers.

mtbr member

Clean Freak

If Iím heading anywhere post-ride that will involve other people (bar, coffee shop, etc) damn right I wanna be clean. My stank is soooo bad after a ride that I can barely stand to be around myself!
    A clean t-shirt is a minimum requirement, usually clean pants/shorts as well.
    I also have a ďclean-up kitĒ in my gear bag. Towel, liquid soap, and an Aquabot for a rinse.

Yeah, Iím a clean freak. Deal with it.
    Post Ride Body Cleanup Poll-e1f45779-3b5f-42bc-afd0-63dfa7d9bddf.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There's nothing proprietary about this idea. You'll be crushed like the tiny cockroach that you are. Get out.. You're dead to me.

mtbr member
    I just use your moms shower. Easy peasy!

slow
    For the 3% of rides that do not begin and end at my front door, I keep a dry towel in the car. I can wet it from my water bottles if I need something wet and I can toss it over the driver's seat if the seat needs some protection. In the very rare instance I need to make an intermediate stop before home, I'll bring a clean t-sirt to toss on and I have a small pit-stick in the glove box to reduce the stink a bit. I don't mind driving in clipless shoes, but prefer to put on the Tevas afterward for the drive home.

Co Springs
    I don't get too filthy, bloody or beat up often but I do think about the car interior.

I have a newer car and it's still quite immaculate. Unfortunately the interior is cloth and sandstone color but so far, still looking nice. I may use seat covers that I already bought when thinking of hauling the crumb-crunchers around - Grandkids.

I think more about the sweaty tee shirt I'll sit against the back of the seat with but as for the post ride clean-up, just a fresh hot shower at home.

Other venues or situations might cause me to brainstorm also though. I'd want portable, self-contained somewhat and maybe it comes with it's own waste-bag. That way if it sits in the car for some time it won't smell or mess up the car too much and make it's final disposal a bit easier. How about add a car fragrance thingy ?
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

EMBA Member
    Dry towel to wipe off with.

Beach towel over the seat before I sit down.

If a longer drive to get home, I bring clean cloths + shoes to change into. I like to maintain a dry crotch in most of lifes circumstances. Just do a surfer change - wrap towel, strip, get dressed without exposing too much skin.

During the cold/muddy season, I remove the outer layer which is all dirty before getting into the car. Also change shoes.

I have a plastic tote I use for all my gear. Just toss it into the back of my car before heading to the trailhead, so all the dirty wet sweaty stuff goes into the tote.

mtbr member
    No cleaning for me. This is why I bought a base model truck, because I knew it would smell like sweat and farts 2 months after I bought it. Plus it was significantly cheaper than all the fancy trucks with computers and crap in the dashboard. Win/Win!

mtbr member
    Always change out of riding shorts/tee/socks and put on fresh clothes. We always have a couple of cold ones at trail head after ride so I use a few scoops of water from the bottom of the cooler to do a quick sweat rinse of my face and hands. I use a towel to wipe off any muck best I can. If we hit a pub after ride it is what it is...we're not THAT disgusting and they are always glad to have us (maybe venue selection is important)

Regarding my vehicle, I will never forget when my daughter was a teenager she hopped in my truck and said... 'Your truck smells like sweaty coffee farts!' I'm on my 3rd truck since then and I always keep it clean but 3 rides/week takes its toll. An occasional 'de-funk' is needed which isn't hard using typical cleaning products from any auto parts store.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    You guys must have some pretty putrid, toxic sweat to be worried about ruining your vehicle's interior.. or you don't have leather seats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Some of your stories are hilarious. Thanks for the details.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by dylandewandel View Post
    You guys must have some pretty putrid, toxic sweat to be worried about ruining your vehicle's interior.. or you don't have leather seats.

I was wondering about that. Does sweat soak into leather or just sit on top?

I've got almost 180,000 miles on my Forester so I don't worry too much about it (but see my double seat covers post above) but probably will get something new before too long. I've already been thinking what a pain it is having a car you worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I was wondering about that. Does sweat soak into leather or just sit on top?

I've got almost 180,000 miles on my Forester so I don't worry too much about it (but see my double seat covers post above) but probably will get something new before too long. I've already been thinking what a pain it is having a car you worry about.
    Well, if my bike seat is any indication, it soaks into it. I have some that have to be covered in plastic, but the one that is definitely leather requires some upkeep. I always have a large towel to place over my seat when I come back from the gym or trailhead, so I don't sweat into the seat. Besides breaking down the leather, it's just putting your funk permanently in the car.

mtbr member
    Normally I just get a shower when I get home.

If I'm feeling especially grungy at the trailhead, I keep baby wipes and a change of clothes in the Jeep.

Then again, I drive a Jeep with those thoughtful drain holes so I can always hose down the Jeep afterwards.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What kind of food do you guys eat? You must sweat like a bear.

My suv does not have that dead corpse smell

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My wife says my minivan smells like a sweaty sausage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is that German or Polish sausage?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is that German or Polish sausage?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wouldn't you like to know.

mtbr member
    I would just drape a towel over my seat. I've also been know to turn my shirt inside out and take my shorts off.

Co Springs
    Def like the idea of having wet wipes ..... probably will add that to the inventory for the potential of an unplanned stop after a ride in case of last minute food or beverage outing. I think appearance and hygiene could be made acceptable or not a deal breaker.

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mLeier View Post
    I would just drape a towel over my seat. I've also been know to turn my shirt inside out and take my shorts off.
    Do you go commando?

Combat Wombat
    If I am riding someplace close to home, usually change into a dry shirt and flip flops. Although on one of my favorite local trails, the ticks, chiggers, poison ivy and oak can get pretty bad in the warmer months of the year. For this, I take along a large tupperware container that I fill with soapy water, a large wash cloth, towel, and change of clothes. After the ride, wash off from my head to feet and all the riding gear goes into a bag in the back of my truck. Seems to work pretty good and its nice driving home in clean dry clothes, not being all dirty, sweaty and smelling like Deep Woods Off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    If I am riding someplace close to home, usually change into a dry shirt and flip flops. Although on one of my favorite local trails, the ticks, chiggers, poison ivy and oak can get pretty bad in the warmer months of the year. For this, I take along a large tupperware container that I fill with soapy water, a large wash cloth, towel, and change of clothes. After the ride, wash off from my head to feet and all the riding gear goes into a bag in the back of my truck. Seems to work pretty good and its nice driving home in clean dry clothes, not being all dirty, sweaty and smelling like Deep Woods Off.
    Great feedback. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My wife rides with me, she sweats more than me. So she's got more bugs stuck to her than I do. Most the time we just change shoes and wipe off any mud. Cover seats and go home for a shower. If we were to go grab a drink or food we would need to lock the bikes in the car. Hasn't been possible lately, might have to get a few of those garden sprayers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It is impossible to get completely clean unless you take a shower immediately at the end of ride. You would need to set up a shower booth at trail head.

Last edited by Picard; 08-14-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    It is impossible to get completely clean unless you take a shower immediately at the end of ride. You would need to set up a shower booth at trail head.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

Were getting a Jeep Cherokee next year this will be on the rig.

mtbr member
    I do all of the above depending on the ride and situation.
    Except baby wipes. . .... Wtf?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast