Pogies- Mtbr.com

Thread: Pogies

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pogies

Who uses pogies for winter riding. I hate wearing bulky gloves while riding and was considering getting some pogies. i have never used them and was wondering what everyone thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RAvant
    Who uses pogies for winter riding. I hate wearing bulky gloves while riding and was considering getting some pogies. i have never used them and was wondering what everyone thought.
    When I used to row, we considered them for sissies

Not too sure I'd want to use them on a bike, seems like they would inhibit getting the hands off the bars quickly/emergency/crash?

Are you using regular gloves or specific biking gloves? The bike gloves that I have used have relatively thin palm padding....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use bike specfic gloves, just don't like them and my handds still get cold. They make bike specfic pogies and as far as hands coming out, when I crash my feet always come off teh pedels when clipped in : ) haha...I have seen people using them and always wondered how they were.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I use bike specfic gloves, just don't like them and my handds still get cold. They make bike specfic pogies and as far as hands coming out, when I crash my feet always come off teh pedels when clipped in : ) haha...I have seen people using them and always wondered how they were.
    I didn't know they made bike-specific ones......a quick look around found this:

http://www.commutebybike.com/2008/01/18/pogies/

they (dogwood designs) look interesting, especially as we've had a few -30C days here (-22f).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride at less than -30 C. When it gets cold I use mitts....pogies are not useable off the bike...So you still need the full protection just in case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't even know what a pogie is!

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I "JUST" re-found my MEC cycling pogies 2 days ago; mine were discontinued some time ago and I was pretty pissed that I couldn't get another set. I "LOVE" my pogies, they are not like the rowing ones at all really; my pogies snap around the handlebar and "seal" with velcro creating a pretty airtight and splash-proof (from the front) profile. In the back, there is the hole for the hands to go in, it's a pretty big area, and there is a snap to cinch the area smaller (I use them this way). When you fall, you instantly slip out of them. If you SOMEHOW got all jammed up inside the pogie -maybe someone spilled a bunch of crazy glue on your hands before you put them in the pogie- you would just rip the pogies off the handlebar. If you hate clunky gloves (I do) then they're great. A non-metal handlebar helps keep you warm, as I assume non-metal brake levers would as well (to a far lesser extent).

Where I lived, I was riding winter days in the -10 to -15C range in traffic getting splashed with salty slush with my trusty summer fingerless gloves on the inside; dry and warm, and I have the worst circulation of anyone I know by far. The closest replacement I cound find were sold by Cabelas (I think) for ATV use. The coldest I ever rode in was around -30C, and I wore my FF AM gloves without issue ... my toes, however ......

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles
    Don't even know what a pogie is!
    whew! I thought it was just me

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    These are pogies.

mtbr member
    I guess the comment about clipless pedals is a good analogy. Just looking at the pogies, my first impression is I might not be able to get my hands quickly out in a sudden spill. The fear of not being able to unclip in a crash has proven to be completely exaggerated for me. I guess the same would be true for pogies... but just looking at them seems like it would be a possibly-not-instinctive back-then-out motion in order to break your fall.

mtbr member
    I use the Moose Mitts from AMF Threadworks.

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bi...rbikestuff.htm

I really like them. Have never felt trapped in them like I couldn't get my hands out or anything. I wear a fairly light glove when using them and my hands are fine. I have carried mittens in my Camelback before to wear when I am off the bike, but I don't always carry them.

Give them a try. I bet you like them.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    When I used to row, we considered them for sissies

Not too sure I'd want to use them on a bike, seems like they would inhibit getting the hands off the bars quickly/emergency/crash?

Are you using regular gloves or specific biking gloves? The bike gloves that I have used have relatively thin palm padding....

Rowing/paddling pogies fit a lot tighter than bike pogies. Most bike pogies are really easy to get your hands in and out of. I've used them for several winters now, and had only one incident where I wasn't able to get my hands out 'in time'. This was with homemade ones though, so it might have been my shoddy craftsmanship. The Dogwood Designs ones are the best ones currently available that I've seen. Really warm, hold their shape really well, smooth fabric on the inside to facilitate getting your hands in an out. Expensive though. They make a huge difference if you ride in cold temps. 0*F and summer riding gloves? Yep. The loss of bar/brake/shifter control that bulky winter gloves lends makes them more dangerous in my opinion than pogies possibly ever could. As another poster mentioned, they don't do much for you if you're walking around without the bike, so when it's really cold, I bring a set of warmer gloves for that purpose.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo
    I guess the comment about clipless pedals is a good analogy. Just looking at the pogies, my first impression is I might not be able to get my hands quickly out in a sudden spill. The fear of not being able to unclip in a crash has proven to be completely exaggerated for me. I guess the same would be true for pogies... but just looking at them seems like it would be a possibly-not-instinctive back-then-out motion in order to break your fall.

They're made almost entirely of fabric, and are flexible enough that you don't have to pull back, you can pull up, down or sideways. They only slight issue is that you need to move your hands further in whichever direction you choose to get them completely free and clear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That looks dangerous! It's not enough your feet are clipped to the pedals, now you can't get your hands off the bars either? Do they fall off easily if you crash?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbles
    That looks dangerous! It's not enough your feet are clipped to the pedals, now you can't get your hands off the bars either? Do they fall off easily if you crash?
    If your hand is in a bag of chips, and your friend tackles you from across the room, does your hand come out of the bag of chips? Putting your hand into a pogie is the same as putting your hand into a bag of chips (a small bag); it's just a hole, there is no retention system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Although I wouldn't personally consider them necessary for PA winter riding I absolutely understand why pogies would be loved by my fellow mtbrs living even farther north. They may look silly to riders from the Deep South or Socal but riding in extreme cold really sucks and you do whatever it takes.

Anyone riding where there are required has my serious respect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Pogies

I bought a pair of Pogies from Dogwood Designs. The day I got them it was snowing and I went for a ride with no gloves. During the ride it changed from snow to sleet and my hands stayed toasty warm. No problems getting hands out and it felt good to feel in control of the handlebars.No regreats...

Tool
    Short of pogies, putting a chemical hand/toe warmer on your wrists will keep your hands much warmer than otherwise, and may allow you to wear a thinner glove than without.

Do note that you will want at least a thin layer of fabric between your skin and the warmer or you could suffer a minor burn if the warmer is placed directly on the skin.

One thing I really like about some toe warmers is they have adhesive strips on them, and thus are easy to stick to your glove cuff and then cover with your sleeve.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    Very cool. There's no need for pogies here In GA but I bet a lot of the people who ride way up north and in Alaska swear by these things. My hands definately get the coldest of anything on a bike ride and I bet those pogies are very effective. They look a little silly, but probably not as bad as I looked the other day when I was riding around with two t shirts rolled around my hands because I didn't have warm enough gloves.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    Very cool. There's no need for pogies here In GA but I bet a lot of the people who ride way up north and in Alaska swear by these things. My hands definately get the coldest of anything on a bike ride and I bet those pogies are very effective. They look a little silly, but probably not as bad as I looked the other day when I was riding around with two t shirts rolled around my hands because I didn't have warm enough gloves.
    FWIW from a frostbitten yankee: While I haven't resorted to pogies here in Pennsylvania I have a collection of snowmobile and snowboarding gloves that have worked OK for typical winter days here that might equate to some of your coldest riding in any given winter season there. Maybe something worth experimenting with. - you do have to be picky regarding which gloves manage to offer the level of flexibility and feel you're looking for with your levers and shifters.

Definitely better than the T-shirt option though.

Singletrack Snob
    Has anybody tried this brand of pogies? I'm looking for something for my commuter singlespeed. The 0 degree weather (before the wind-chill) is leaving me with painfully cold hands by the time I get to work.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scoot...=2LSGEQ95A57PH
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm ordering a pair right now Vitamin G. Thanks for the link.

Members who have read this thread: 0