mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Plugging frame hole left by 10sp to 11sp conversion?

When removing the front shifter, cable, and derailleur on my 2016 stumpy that has internal cable routing, what have you guys/gals done to fill the frame holes? Or do you just leave em open?

mtbr member
    For some brands you can get specific plugs. I do that or put a piece of tape over them.
    Do the math.

One ring to mash them all
    Got these ideas from Cornfield & *OneSpeed* about a month ago for a similar question about dropper cable port:

Salsa Single Frame Plug for Dropper Routing 5-pack

Sugru Mouldable Glue
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASCTLC View Post
    When removing the front shifter, cable, and derailleur on my 2016 stumpy that has internal cable routing, what have you guys/gals done to fill the frame holes? Or do you just leave em open?
    I haven't downgraded like that, but i have a hot glue gun for those holes. Really i'd probably just ignore the holes cuz what's one more compromise? It doesn't matter unless the frame is steel.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Plugging frame hole left by 10sp to 11sp conversion?-tape.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I haven't downgraded like that, but i have a hot glue gun for those holes. Really i'd probably just ignore the holes cuz what's one more compromise? It doesn't matter unless the frame is steel.
    You're not judgmental at all, are you? There are plenty of reasons to get rid of a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys, I'll see if Specialized has these and resort to another method if not.

mtbr member
    I've never liked internal routing and I've never thought drilling holes in the frame was a good idea. Component manufacturers try to design seals to keep water out of bearings etc then we go and drill holes in the frame so the water gets to the inside of the bearing too!

Internal routing has to be one the stupidest trends the bike industry has adopted and the sooner it is rejected the better.

mtbr member
    This stuff is ideal for this kind of job: LINK

You can mould it into whatever shape you want and once it sets it's surprisingly strong. Comes in different colours too, which you can even mix together!

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    You're not judgmental at all, are you? There are plenty of reasons to get rid of a front derailleur.
    Totally, but it's like 50 fringe cases. By and large if the bike came with a FD, taking it off is most likely a mistake for a bunch of reasons. If you took it off cuz FDs are confusing or unfashionable then you're almost certainly doing yourself a disservice. Downgrade.

Under-optimized bikes are fun. I just got back from a ride on my hardtail. Not judging at all.

The meat of the reply was that holes don't matter if you have a carbon or alu frame, and if it's steel or you just wanna plug them then hot glue plugs are fast, permanent, and removable. Sorry for the brief reply.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    Umm..... unless youíre a bike packer or road rider, 1x drivetrains are superior..... even in the case of road and bike packers itís coming into style due to simplification..... not that the front derailer doesnít have its place, I just donít think that the OP is doing himself a disservice in any way since the bike originally had it..... thatís like saying that he would be doing himself a disservice by installing a dropper because it came with a ridged post..... anyways, I have multiple ways of covering holes! A small bit of earplug (or any other expandable and waterproof foam), a dab of grease, some electrical tape the same color of the frame, or just let it be! I personally only use the electrical tape option since itís pretty easy to find a color match, especially since most of my bikes are black, but the other methods are ones my friends have used in the past with success

mtbr member
    3M DiNoc vinyl.

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    For some brands you can get specific plugs. I do that or put a piece of tape over them.
    This. I first used a bit of duck tape on my Cube, then contacted a Cube dealer I had previously bought from, sent them a screenshot to help identify what I was after and they had the required frame grommet in stock for a reasonable price.
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm certainly not confused by a FD and never had a lick o trouble with it or the shifting. I'm just at an experience now that I'm wanting all the benefits of the simplification (reduced weight and cleaner LH bar real estate) to install a much more ergonomic dropper lever than the crappy little Command Post lever that came stock. That and I'm changing wheels and need the XD driver on the new wheel so now's the opportunity to do a conversion I have been interested in and use the excellent condition XX1 drivetrain I bought from a friends to get to 1x.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    holes don't matter if you have a carbon or alu frame, and if it's steel or you just wanna plug them then hot glue plugs are fast, permanent, and removable. Sorry for the brief reply.
    FIFY.

The sugru that pig suggested is my vote. I love that stuff. Get a pack and stick it in the freezer, you'll find other uses for it too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Get a pack and stick it in the freezer..
    Stick it in the freezer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Stick it in the freezer?
    It stays good for longer.

mtbr member
    It stays good for longer.
    I assumed that if the packet was sealed it kept indefinitely? I had a pack I opened then taped up to try and keep it good but it set anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I assumed that if the packet was sealed it kept indefinitely? I had a pack I opened then taped up to try and keep it good but it set anyway.
    Not to go off on a sugru tangent, but I believe they advise a shelf life on the packet and that you can extend that life by a lot by keeping it in the fridge or freezer

mbtr member
    FIFY.
    You just quoted me...?

That sugru stuff looks really cool, i've never seen it before.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    That sugru stuff looks really cool, i've never seen it before.
    It works much better than you think it will. It sticks really well to most surfaces and once set is like a firm rubber.

mbtr member
    It works much better than you think it will. It sticks really well to most surfaces and once set is like a firm rubber.
    I think i'm gonna buy a packet, not open it cuz i don't have a use right now, and lose it in the freezer.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Whaddya got to plug the hole in the haters' hearts when other people get rid of their FD?

AK kid who LOVES bikes!
    Mar 2018
    A good dose of reality! ;-)