Platform Pedals/shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Platform Pedals/shoes

Pricepoint has a pedal shoe combo the five ten low impact shoes are included with the wellgo B25 pedals! Should I just get pedals and ride with my Skateshoes or do these shoes really make a difference? Thanks for the help

I4NI
    I ride with DC skate shoes. Others here with recommend 5-10

Down side to skate shoes is walking & pushing/carring your bike uphills.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ya the 5-10s really do make a difference , good sturdy shoe and a good combination of not being to soft
    or stiff as far as flexibility goes and comfortable for walking and they really stick to the pedals , and they will
    keep your feet pretty warm in cold temps, I find that these work well for when I have to hike the bike on a
    trail section, great flat pedal shoe and sizes seem to run true to size.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hey, I'm running a similar combo w/ the option to clip in. Shimano spd, with 661's. I'm happy w/ the combo, and like the versatility of having the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ride 5.10's with Syncros Pedals and I am totally happy with it. The 5.10 also give good support (especially the high impact) to prevent from injuries.

see me rollin, they hatin
    5.10 fan here. but keep in mind, when you do put your foot back on the pedal after taking it off, its hard to reposition the foot. you have to lift to reposition, and you cant just twist into place. that annoyed me alot at first, but i got used to it. once you have that "sweet spot" where you are in the correct place on the pedals, its very grippy and locked in-feeling. you dont slip. Some people find them too grippy though. I deal with it because it keeps you attached even in sloppy rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    I have 5.10 low impacts and they do stick like crazy. It's almost like magic how well. With that being said I usually wear Addidas basketball low top sneakers because they're flat bottomed like a skate shoe and the 5.10s are, and they stick plenty to pinned platforms. I feel like the the 5.10 stick too well, if that's possible, for all but the craziest of DH runs.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    like NicoleB28 said, you will get used to the grip.
    you can reposition your feet without thinking about it after a several rides so dont let that drive you away from a purchase. theyre not too "sticky"!
    no experience with the low impact shoes but i have the freeriders and highly recommend them.

Trail Ninja
    I tried skate shoes and found if you ride any remotely rough trails... I dunno people's feet will take all the vibration from rolling over the bumps. Their soles are so thin that you're practically barefoot, though I hear that's a new fad going on nowadays.

mtbr member
    how long will the 5-10 soles last? my board shoes from walmart lasted about 4 months. both shoes have like 'sliced' through on the sole where they contact the outside edge of the wellgo platform pedals. these shoes are only around $25 and they actually worked very well prior to the destruction

mtbr member
    $25 isnt cheap when you have to replace 3 times a year...
    ive been riding mine all year and the soles have no damage.
    5.10s do not have the same sole as a skate shoe. they are made with "Stealth" technology recently intercepted from an alien transmission.