platform clipless pedals...lightweight if possible- Mtbr.com
    sufferer of a.d.d.

platform clipless pedals...lightweight if possible

i am lookinng for a new set of platforms for a single speed that i plan on using around town (commuting/exercise). i want a set of platform pedals in the event that i just want to run to the store with sneakers on. but i also want the option of clipping in with my cycling shoes (spd). i have looked at reviews for shimano's m545 and 646. some people say that the platform aspect just sucks 'cause the cleat digs into the bottom of your sneaker...true? also they are pretty damn heavy (up to 650 grams). are there any other pedals that you'd recommend?

ps- i am not going to switch to a clip type other than spd at this time since my other bike and shoes is set up with them.

thanks in advance

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    i am lookinng for a new set of platforms for a single speed that i plan on using around town (commuting/exercise). i want a set of platform pedals in the event that i just want to run to the store with sneakers on. but i also want the option of clipping in with my cycling shoes (spd). i have looked at reviews for shimano's m545 and 646. some people say that the platform aspect just sucks 'cause the cleat digs into the bottom of your sneaker...true? also they are pretty damn heavy (up to 650 grams). are there any other pedals that you'd recommend?

ps- i am not going to switch to a clip type other than spd at this time since my other bike and shoes is set up with them.

thanks in advance
    I like my M646s, but they clog with mud a lot easier than the 959s on my other bike. You can feel the lump of the "pop up" cleat in the middle with plain shoes, but this was easy for me to get used to and not a problem. I smack my M646s on lots of rocks and haven't busted one yet. They are also on closeout lots of places now if you want a new pair. Since they are discontinued, I should get a spare pair too now...

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

ballbuster

M5445s....

thanks in advance
    ... but they are not light (550g) and like the other guy said about m646s, they clog up with mud easily. I just learned that if you keep shifting your foot around on them enough, the mud works loose.

Other than that, I love mine.

Jan 2004

Mallet Eggbeaters

I had a pair of 646 and loved them. Mud is a problem especially if you get them on your shoes. Then I busted the right pedal during a weekend of ski lift runs -- the outer piece that keeps that cage around the pedal came loose. Didnt crash. I am still puzzled how that happened.

I didnt like the idea of getting it repaired and have no bike to ride. I figured I'd take the opportunity to try new pedals. Then I heard about the Mallet. I've already ridden Shimano pedals and was a little vary of trying something else. But everyone I've talked to who ride the beaters love them. So I bought a set.

I was probably one of the first to grab a pair since they just released it at the time. They are amazingly simple and great at shedding mud. This has been a very muddy winter in my area and the beaters gave me no problems -- even in situations where the 646 would have given me grief. There's a very reassuring "pop" (sound and feel) when you clip in. Even if the cleats are muddy or wet. This is something that I did not get with the 646.

As far as riding with sneakers, I find the mallet to be better in that department also. The part of the pedal that sticks up from the cage is smaller than that of the 646. Also, the mallet comes with extra traction plates that are taller than the ones installed. With the extra height you get more grip and also a taller profile for your sneakers. The taller traction plates still work well with my clipless shoes.

Anyway, give the mallet a try. They are a little more expensive than the 646 but I think its worth the money. Shimano's coming with 647 which uses a 959 kind of design with a cage. Which may solve the problems with they had with the 646.

Rollin' a fatty

Beaters

Mallet or Candy

Jan 2004

I have the M-545 on my XC steed

I have not tried other platform pedals, but I will add my $.02:

M-545 CON: Heavier than many other pedals, inlcuding many platforms. Mud has a tendency to clog inside of the M-545 platform and around the clip, but wouldn't this happen with other platform pedals too? I live in the Sonoran Desert, so this is not too often a problem until I go north. The M-545 is hard to clean, every other month I will spend extra time detailing the dirt out of the clip area.

M-545 PRO: The M-545 functions with any shoe I've used while tooling around my steed. The clip (or platform) does not dig into any shoe, it maintains a 'flat' plane across the platform. It is relatively inexpensive compared to other platforms ($60-80). In those situations where I get 'knocked out' of the clip, I am able to maintain power to power up sections while not clipped in.

So I recommend the M-545, but you could find better....Regards,

Steve

sufferer of a.d.d.
    thank you for your comments. i live in los angeles so the issues of mud are very few and very far between. i just shelled out a bunch of cash for 1 pair of shoes that have spd cleats on them. i am not going to buy another set of shoes and crank bros. pedals. i also see little reason to replace the perfectly good spd pedalset i have on my other bike with a crank bros setup. at this point in my life i am basically married to the spd and, for better or for worse, that is the pedal style i'll be purchasing for this ss i just bought. there are a couple of other platform/clip pedal sets (victo and wellgo come to mid) that i am interested in too.

Hill crawler

Cool-blue Rhythm Mud and 646's

thank you for your comments. i live in los angeles so the issues of mud are very few and very far between. i just shelled out a bunch of cash for 1 pair of shoes that have spd cleats on them. i am not going to buy another set of shoes and crank bros. pedals. i also see little reason to replace the perfectly good spd pedalset i have on my other bike with a crank bros setup. at this point in my life i am basically married to the spd and, for better or for worse, that is the pedal style i'll be purchasing for this ss i just bought. there are a couple of other platform/clip pedal sets (victo and wellgo come to mid) that i am interested in too.
    I too live in California. Mud ? I use 646s. Damn the weight. All my other bikes, and all my shoes have SPD pedals or cleats. I damned if I can be bothered to change to a different pedal/cleat system. But again the 646s (and the 545s) are HEAVY. It's ok to stick to SPDs despite what some of the fashion police may write. But talking of fashion police - for a SS are you sure you want a clipless pedal setup ?

Now Uploading
    just loosen the cleat tension way loose on your 646s and you'll be alright, unless they get caked up or wet and slushy and then frozen this time of year. If your shoe cleats are clean and not worn, not much of a problem. My 959s still work a lot better though, and I can ride on them with regular shoes if I have to, it's not like there is nothing there to put my foot on (not on a trail though). It's all a compromise, what works great for one aspect may make you wish you had otherwise some other time.

Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

mtbr member

Wellgo D2s

I'm running Wellgo D2s on my mountain bike and like them a lot. They have a fairly large platform and can be set up single or double sided. I run mine single sided. That way I can have either clipped in or a platform to ride on. The downside is that the clip side is heavier and usually needs a half flip to get right side up. I've gotten used to it and it doesn't really bother me anymore. They're a fairly light pedal, use SPD cleats, and so far have worked flawlessly for me.

Another option is to get a nice double sided pair of pedals and just clip in a sneaker adapter for the occcasional run to the store. That way, the pedals can be very light, but still have a platform for non-cleated shoes.

sufferer of a.d.d.
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal
    But talking of fashion police - for a SS are you sure you want a clipless pedal setup ?
    what would the problem be with running a clipless on a ss-er? i am going to use it mainly as a flat lander commuter fun bike. probably not too much trail. and while i am new to ss-ing i imagine that there are times when i'd want to use my spd cleats and other times i'd just want to sneaker it down to the local coffee joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone Yeti
    Another option is to get ...a sneaker adapter for the occcasional run to the store.
    please explain this to me (i am a newb). this adapter i have to imagine, is a basic platform type thingy that clips into the spd pedal? that sounds perfect. can you drop a name brand so i can look it up. (or post a link to a pic)? thanks!

mtbr member

Sneaker adaptor

please explain this to me (i am a newb). this adapter i have to imagine, is a basic platform type thingy that clips into the spd pedal? that sounds perfect. can you drop a name brand so i can look it up. (or post a link to a pic)? thanks![/QUOTE]

Here's a link to one type of sneaker adaptor: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ype=&estoreid=

I've seen other types that have a toe strap setup as well. I've never used either type, but they look like they'd work just fine for a spin down to the corner store. I'm not sure how they'd work on the trail, but you'd probably want a clipless setup for that anyway.