Phone Mount for your Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Phone Mount for your Bike?

Need help finding suggestions for a phone mount. Im looking for a big enough mount to fit the Galaxy S4 thats currently in a otterbox. I had a nice mount for the Iphone 5 that was also in a otterbox, but now that Im that I have the S4....im looking for help. Im leaning toward a RAM mount, but wondering if others have solutions for bigger phones?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just curious, why mount it? If you haven't used a tracking program much yet (ie, Strava, Mapmyride, etc.) they will use up a lot of battery quickly with the screen on all the time, and aren't a great substitute for a bike computer if you just want speed/distance. Plus it exposes your expensive phone to the hazards of riding. My suggestion/solution -- turn on your tracking app, turn the screen off, and put it in your pack, and get a cheap $15 computer if you want to see how fast you are going.

Good luck!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I rigged up a stem mount out of my Otterbox belt clip holster for my iPhone. I just did that to try it out. I used it one time and on my road bike on a bike path. I'm glad I didn't pay for an actual phone mount. Here are the problems I encountered.

1. I had to turn the screen brightness way up on the phone to be able to see the screen. This in turn, killed the battery quickly. In a 1.5 hour ride, I used about 60% of the battery. I want to be able to have a charged battery on my phone in case of emergency, or if I get lost and need to use the map.

2. My speed on the phone was horribly inaccurate. My speed was jumping all over the place. I was riding next to a friend and his bike computer said we were doing 18, and my phone said 12. And that wasn't just at one point in time, pretty much the entire ride.

Now the trails that I was on had a lot of tree cover, and that would affect the GPS signal. But if you are riding the mountain bike, I would think it would be even worse. I still use the phone in my jersey pocket running Strava, but went back to a standard computer on that bike. My geared mountain bike, I have a Garmin, and my single speed I don't have anything. I actually like the simplicity on the single speed of not knowing my distance or speed until after my ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Just curious, why mount it? If you haven't used a tracking program much yet (ie, Strava, Mapmyride, etc.) they will use up a lot of battery quickly with the screen on all the time, and aren't a great substitute for a bike computer if you just want speed/distance. Plus it exposes your expensive phone to the hazards of riding. My suggestion/solution -- turn on your tracking app, turn the screen off, and put it in your pack, and get a cheap $15 computer if you want to see how fast you are going.

Good luck!
    Hey thanks for the reply.... I used a phone mount for my iPhone and enjoyed it... Just the easy access to music, and my biking app. I use runtastic mountain bike pro... Currently I have my phone in my camel back and can hear the distance and pace through my headphones, but still likes the idea of having it mounted and in front of me. As for protection... My otterbox takes care of that... I wreaked pretty hard beginning of the year and my iPhone was just fine and still in the mount. Idk what I'm gonna do... Ram mount is only twenty dollars... Worth a shot...

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post

Good luck!
    Agree +1

Other than the problem of draining battery, I can't even get my phone to stick to the mount on my road bike. One time it bounced off and skittered into the road, and before I could pick it up, a Harley rode right over it. No damage!

Another time on mtb, I suddenly noticed the phone was gone. Backtracked about 2 miles, and found the sucker in the middle of a rocky chunk section. Again, no damage!

Figuring I'd be a total fool to push such great luck again, I now carry it in a jersey pocket on the road and hydration pack off road.

Not worth the risk of damage or loss to use bar or stem phone mount IMO
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Try these guys: Ultimate-Mobiles Great prices on mobile accessories, Ultimate Addons tough cases, motorcycle mounts,. I use their bar mount and case for my Galaxy S2 using Endomondo Pro, and have had great results. I don't leave the screen on, and I have to activate the screen to see current stats' such as speed, time, distance, but that's ok with me. For longer rides out in the sticks, I carry a spare battery for my phone. I have no connection with ultimate-mobiles, just a satisfied customer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Bushwhacker Reno - Handlebar Smart Phone Holder Bike Bag Mount - Universal Fit... Amazon.com: Bushwhacker Reno - Handlebar Smart Phone Holder Bike Bag Mount - Universal Fits Most Smart Phone Models: Sports & Outdoors via @amazon

I have this. Holds my wallet, keys, multi-tool, patch kit and clif bar and the phone is less vulnerable. It really was $15 well-spent.

AZ
    banned
    Leave it in a plastic bag in a jersey pocket.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    +1

When in doubt, go low tech. Good results, save money. Win-win.

If low tech doesn't work, go ghetto
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A bike is the one time I can get away from a phone!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    The touch screen on my phone actually works very well through a plastic baggy. $.03 waterproof screen barrier!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4