Phone Mount- Mtbr.com

Thread: Phone Mount

Everyday XC Rider

Idea! Phone Mount

I am doing mostly XC rding, and have been thinking that it would be nice to mount my smartphone to the stem. I am thinking that it would be great to use a bike computer app with GPS mapping instead of a conventional bike computer. Does anyone use something similar to this or have seen anything that fits the bill?
    Last edited by Adam Enggasser; 12-31-2013 at 07:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There are lots of them on ebay, I will be watching this for recommendations.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I am also looking at bike mounts. I've been checking out the quad lock mount it looks pretty good.

Everyday XC Rider
    That looks pretty good. Unfortunately, the mount won't adhere the the back of my phone case. Saw the Ram X-Grip and that looked quite secure as well, and it doesn't require any attachments to the phone itself.

Professional Dirt Sampler
    What kind of phone do you have?

I have an iPhone 4 and use the Top Peak Ride Case. I have one on my road bike and one on my FS bike. It uses a case that snaps onto the phone (comes off easily, but I use it as my everyday phone case) and then that slides into the mount that is bolted to the top of the steerer tube. It also comes with a clear silicon cover to protect the screen and you can get a dry bag that works with the mount to make it all water proof.

I've been using it for almost 2 years and have never once had a problem. I've taken a couple of good spills and when I get up the phone is still attached an undamaged. Another nice thing about having it right there on the handlebars is being able to play music as you ride without needing headphones.

They are making these for the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 right now. Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - RideCase, Works with iPhone 4/4S, Black

Everyday XC Rider
    I have a ZTE Valet. It is a shame that I don't have an iPhone, because that mount looks really nice. I have been looking at the whole Topeak brand lately for seat bags and fenders, and it looks like they make quality products.

mtbr member

Phone Mount

I use an Akron on my motorcycle and will be buying another one for my mtn bike. Inexpensive, relatively water resistant, can use touchscreen with it inside. Can rotate it to portrait or landscape and crank it down. Only compliant is in direct sunlight it's tough to read.

Arkon Handlebar Mount for Most Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Black
    http://amzn.com/B003YGGFOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like pie.
    Phone mount. Nice idea.

Unless you have an accident.

Just a thought.

Currently in Exile
    Get a Garmin. Just sayin.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Everyday XC Rider
    Looked at Garmins, but were too expensive and a smartphone could do just as much and than some for a lot less money.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I put my phone in a ziploc in my jersey pocket.

Do you just want it to record? Or is there some feedback you want to see?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Enggasser View Post
    Looked at Garmins, but were too expensive and a smartphone could do just as much and than some for a lot less money.
    Plus most of us already have the smart phone with map apps.

Everyday XC Rider
    MTBMILES - Amen.

I would like to see some feedback in the form of speed readout, distance, time elapsed, and maybe a live map. If I get caught in a rain storm, I will just throw my phone in a Ziploc (I always keep one with me).

mtbr member

Phone Mount

I use the Toppeak stem mount for my iphone 5. It works great. It also comes with a silicone cover to protect it from getting wet. I've never used it I just keep it in my pack. If I crash hard enough to break my phone in this thing I have bigger problems than a broken phone.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    iBike...totally waterproof and case has a battery that allows you to keep screen alive for six hours. The most pricey, but really well made...
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

Rent this space for $
    This is one I saw advertised in a Bicycling Magazine yesterday. It works on both Android and iPhone and they're developing one for tablets to go on Spin Bikes. Since I have an Android, I may give this one a shot unless I see something better suggested on this thread.

Bar Mount Accessories : Smart Phone Caddy II

Everyday XC Rider

Ram X-Grip

You should take a look at the Ram X-Grip.

RAM X-Grip® Phone Mounts

Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM EZ ON/OFF Handlebar Mount with Universal X-Grip Phone Holder: MP3 Players & Accessories

Looks like it would be easy to install and use, and would also hold the phone securely. The company says that it can hold almost all smartphones.
    Dude, I'm bleeding, where's the duct tape?

mtbr member
    Phone Mount-img_5583.jpgPhone Mount-286cdba1e9fe2a04f36fcf580da551cc_large.jpg
    This product is called a handleband. Found it on Kickstarter.
    The first pic is on my bike, i use for music and navigation on my bike.
    It performs excellently. For the price you cannot beat it.
    No matter what happens while riding street or trail my phone
    has never left my handlebar with this thing.

It will work with all types of phones.

The Handleband - phones, bikes, and open bottles by Daniel Haarburger — Kickstarter

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I've gone back and forth about putting my phone on my bars with a good mount. It really isn't necessary, but at times I'd like to see the various info easily, and the scenery where I ride is almost-always stunning, so access to a camera (quickly) would be nice.

I've always just carried it in the top pocket of my Camelbak Lobo or Mule.

BUT, to answer the question, the best one I have found, in my opinion, is the Quad Lock out of Australia.

I have seen a few of them out on the trail, and I've asked a couple people what they thought of them. Everyone's response has been positive.

Only downer is, they are fairly pricey. You have to buy their mount, plus their case that creates the right interface to the mount itself. I think the whole deal is $60-ish. It also comes with a waterproof jacket-type cover in case of rain.

I might try one this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I see mountain biking as an awsome way to explore and be with nature and I try to minimize the use of technology when I do that. Putting your phone on your bar will possibly distract you and not let you be one with nature.
    I hope they do not come up with a TV mount in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmeyerIII View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5583.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	859658
    Your picture reminds me when I was a child doing XC. I didn't even know what MTB was by then, let alone XC. I had an overused steel bike which frame was welded several times in local welding workshops due to breaking. I didn't have any backpack, no water, but I did have a big watermelon inside a plastic bag hanged in my bars planning to eat it later on with my friends. I got very fast down a hill and then the hill started going up. I couldn't climb with my single speed bike so I got off. As soon as I got and started to push the bike, the handlebar broke at the welded point and my watermelon was split on the ground.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Personally, I wouldn't want to put my expensive smart phone in such an exposed position as on the handlebars. Bike computers and bike GPS units are built tougher and can take a beating a lot more than a phone can and don't take up nearly as much space. Also, battery life of a phone is questionable when using any kind of GPS function continually. GPS accuracy on a phone is another downside. Based on my experiences comparing a bike-specific gps unit to a phone-based gps app, the phone is almost always significantly off on distance and/or elevation gain. For me, the phone goes in a bag and in a jersey or backpack pocket and is meant to be used only if I break my leg out on the trail and need someone to come get me.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Zip-loc.....I put mine in a zip-bag and put it in my camel pack. I've bit it pretty hard more than a few times. I can't imagine the phone would have fared well on the bars. However, in the pack it has come out without a scratch......unlike me.
    I asked God for a bike, but I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bike & asked for forgiveness.