Personal Questions: Bibs or Shorts???- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Personal Questions: Bibs or Shorts???

Have always used standard biking lycra shorts, can anyone put up a good case for bibs and which ones are you using. Hace been looking at Hincapie's line. Thanks.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramp
    Have always used standard biking lycra shorts, can anyone put up a good case for bibs and which ones are you using. Hace been looking at Hincapie's line. Thanks.
    Only use bib shorts for racing. Wearing bibs in a race means I never have any kind of problem with my clothes. They never move or bunch up in any way. Not partial to any one brand.

On the other hand, I hate bibs for trail rides. In fact I don't really like lycra at all. To constricting.
    Voltron

jci
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a pair of bibshorts and two pair of lycra. I want to get some more bibshorts! No drawstring bs/falling down/bunching up. Chamois stays put. When you're on your bike, they aren't restricting, though the first time you try them on it will be different.

Try on a few pair, see how they feel.

Trail rider and racer
    What are peoples thoughts on Bib shorts for 12/14 hour racing? I was thinking of getting a pair, but was wondering if they would be the best option when you are in the saddle for 8/12/24 hours straight.
    Trev!

Jan 2004

Trevor... bibs shorts are the way to go.

I love bib shorts. All the roadies i know swear by them. Absolutely a better fit then regular non-bib shorts. Naturally, for a long race....12, 24 hr...a good chamois matched with a good seat willl be the biggest contributor to your comfort. But bibs are definitely a great compliment, bc you never have to worry about bunching or anything and the chamois stays centered all the time. I dont know what you have available to you in Aus...but up here at my shop in Canada, everyone seems to love the Sugoi RS short, which comes in bib and non-bib. Really advanced chamois, etc. FOr shorts, always get the top of the line short, it will pay off guaranteed.

good luck with your upcoming enduro events.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    What are peoples thoughts on Bib shorts for 12/14 hour racing? I was thinking of getting a pair, but was wondering if they would be the best option when you are in the saddle for 8/12/24 hours straight.
    Bibs!

This is my first season racing with bibs and I will never, ever go back to regular shorts. I just finished an 8-hr solo race and didn't have a single issue with my bibs. For my 24-hr solo race, I'm going to be bringing several (5) pairs.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

I love Pisgah
    Bibs all the way for racing. No comparison regarding comfort compared to non-bib shorts, especially for longer rides.

I need more...must have more bibs. Give me bibs. Bibs bibs bibs.

Once tried, you will see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bibs !!

I have only used Bib Shorts for the last 10 years...much more comfortable. A bit more work when nature calls ( just pull up the shorts leg for #1, but take off helmet & jersey for #2 ) , still worth the trouble. Only exception, I don't do bib tights...way too tough to even do #1 ( who wants to take off their top layers when its freezing out to take a leak ?) At least get a pair for really important rides, (my guess is you'll always go for the bibs and your shorts will stay in the dresser) bibs are spendy, but worth it..
    that rug really tied the room together.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRFSR
    I have only used Bib Shorts for the last 10 years...much more comfortable. A bit more work when nature calls ( just pull up the shorts leg for #1, but take off helmet & jersey for #2 ) , still worth the trouble. Only exception, I don't do bib tights...way too tough to even do #1 ( who wants to take off their top layers when its freezing out to take a leak ?) At least get a pair for really important rides, (my guess is you'll always go for the bibs and your shorts will stay in the dresser) bibs are spendy, but worth it..
    Having to go #1 with bibs was a concern of mine, but thankfully, it's not an issue....at least with my Louis Garneau bibs. They are low-cut enough in the front and I simply pull-down the bib at the top near my navel and let 'er rip....no need to pull up the leg.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

I love Pisgah
    Yup. I used to do the leg thing, until I read one of Mike T's posts saying the front will stretch more then enough to do the job. Damn if he wasn't spot on. No prob. Much easier then the leg drill.

Dec 2003

To paraphrase

a famous feminist line:

Mountain bikers need bib shorts like a fish needs a bicycle!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like many have posted, the seat and chamois matter most, but all things being equal...

I only wear bibs in races or rides over an hour. The comfort is so much better.
    I'll throw on a regular pair of shorts if it's a recovery day/short ride, or if all my bibs are dirty.

Okay, to be honest, I wear Nema baggies while cruising around with my friends on the mtb, but anything it's gonna be a long day in the saddle = bibs whether road or dirt.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Bib shorts all the way. Much more comfortable than "regular" shorts. The best for the money (and very good no matter the $$) are the Voler bibs. Order from http://www.velowear.com
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Bibs for racing.
    Bibs with baggy "shell" for trail riding.
    this space left intentionally blank

Rollin' a fatty
    Bibs, need more bibs. Where I can find some 8 panel cheap?

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

another vote for bibs

Went bibs about a year ago...will never go back. They fit great. I did and still do catch grief from my baggy short-wearing friends...oh well.

Usually buy the Performance Elite Bibs when they go on sale for under $40/pair.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Re: Bibs

I tried bibs out and didnt have a great experience. I know they were the right size but no matter what the straps on the shoulders kept falling down.Only tried them off road maybe they work better for roadies.Body type may also come into play.Now I know what a woman fills like when her bra straps keep falling down. I think ill stick to regular shorts!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Bib shorts all the way. Much more comfortable than "regular" shorts. The best for the money (and very good no matter the $$) are the Voler bibs. Order from http://www.velowear.com
    Voler bibs kick ass. It's like wearing nothing at all only not as embarrassing. Plenty of front stretch too.

If you sign up for the email list, you get notices when they put them on sale. At regular price, they are a great deal and on sale, they are a steal.