mtbr member

Performance Bike- chapter 11

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...1#.W-8PuehKiM_

good riddance. I worked there for a short bit and it sucked.

since 4/10/2009
    I've been into a few of their stores, and honestly, I thought they were too big, with not enough merchandise and not enough traffic for the space they had (and were absolutely paying for).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I've been into a few of their stores, and honestly, I thought they were too big, with not enough merchandise and not enough traffic for the space they had (and were absolutely paying for).
    This. One in Delaware just moved to a small space; the other has a TON of (mostly empty) space...when I walked in I thought: where's all the stuff??? And why does Delaware need two stores within 25 miles of each other???

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...1#.W-8PuehKiM_

good riddance. I worked there for a short bit and it sucked.
    Not this. It shouldn't suck to work there, but more bike options is betterer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    They aren't going away entirely, most likely, just a reduction in stores. Chapter 11 is a restructuring not a liquidation.

Also, this implicates Nashbar, Fuji, and Breezer. And SE for the BMX crowd.

And agree with Harold, as usual, the stores seemed too big and in DFW too many of them. And I imagine they are doing more online business, like everyone. I imagine a lot of their sales are accessories, which they seem to have more of at any given time than most LBS. And you certainly don't need massive square footage for that kind of stuff, as opposed to bikes, particularly when a lot of it is sold online.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I have always thought of them as the Walmart of bike shops. Hard to explain but I just do not like going in their stores. Seemed like they had a whole lotta nothing in their store.
    I have gotten some pretty good deals on pumps, shoes and helmets from them over the years. But I always buy from their site.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

mtbr member
    to clarify, I hated working there because I was embarrassed by the lousy level of customer service I was allowed to offer. we had a wait list of over a month in early spring for basic repairs and tune-ups, a situation that could be fixed easily but they would not cough up the dough to get enough staffing to do it. the pay was low even by bike shop standards and many of the people who worked there had no idea what they were doing. morale was low as everyone there knew it was a shitshow, which is what we called it when customers were not around. it seemed like a big, polished operation but it was run by amateurs, which was a great disservice to customers.

I left for a shop that paid me to slight bit more and allowed me to do quality work with reasonable runaround time. I was proud to work in a shop like that.

Bikesexual
    They already closed stores. The one in Ontario CA was also huge! In a spot with lots of traffic, but didn't survive.

The only thing I biught there were 2 indoor bike stands. Not a big fan either.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    to clarify, I hated working there because I was embarrassed by the lousy level of customer service I was allowed to offer. we had a wait list of over a month in early spring for basic repairs and tune-ups, a situation that could be fixed easily but they would not cough up the dough to get enough staffing to do it. the pay was low even by bike shop standards and many of the people who worked there had no idea what they were doing. morale was low as everyone there knew it was a shitshow, which is what we called it when customers were not around. it seemed like a big, polished operation but it was run by amateurs, which was a great disservice to customers.

I left for a shop that paid me to slight bit more and allowed me to do quality work with reasonable runaround time. I was proud to work in a shop like that.
    I'm sure. Bike shops seem not to lend themselves to "corporate think" particularly well, or vice versa. As I mentioned elsewhere, there's one PB here in town that does a number of group rides and the store manager or assistant manager seems to foster the kind of buddy-buddy atmosphere between the sales-types and the shop types that you see at smaller LBS. The other locations are more corporate. However, the one closest to me seems to have a staff that is almost all shop-capable, so they actually seem to provide pretty decent shop service for quick things, anyway.

since 4/10/2009
    the ones I've visited, I've never really gone there with the intent to purchase something.

I went there to deliver bike maps under a previous job. I'd occasionally buy food because it seemed they always had something on sale, but lots of the stuff on the sales floor didn't interest me. Sure, they had sales on SOMETHING all the time, but most of it was lower quality stuff that I didn't care for.

I never really got much of an impression for the staff one way or another. Mostly the staff "disappeared", tbh. Not that they weren't present, just that they were quiet, doing their own thing, and not really interacting much with each other, let alone with customers. Not even much socializing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post

And SE for the BMX crowd.
    SE is barely a BMX company now anyway. Stupid overpriced bikes and most of them are basically cruisers for old farts and people that only want to do wheelies.

Not helpful.
    This sucks. This really sucks for our town. We have one other shop and they're mostly bmx and cruisers.

Our Performance led rides through town once a week, and also did "mountain" bike rides on the levees outside of town. Hey, better than nothing. I told them I could lead rides on actual trails 45 minutes away, but they never took me up on it.

Our mechanics were great. Alton is the man- I've been dealing with him for years, and he knows his shit.

Pretty damn sad. Can't anyone run a business anymore?

The filing will be seen as the latest in a series of bankruptcies of retail chains, from Sears and Toys R Us to Sports Authority and Sport Chalet. Cunnane told BRAIN he still believes retail chains can survive if they are not saddled with debt. Dick's Sporting Goods and REI, for example, appear to be thriving, he noted.
    Yeah. Our REI closed up shop, too.
    What's wrong with him??

the discerning hooligan
    Performance and Nashbar kind of pioneered the mail order bike thing. There was a time when many of us looked forward to getting the catalog in the mailbox.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Performance is the closest bike shop to my house, there used to be a smaller shop just as close that was part of a local San Diego chain, before they closed that store I used them exclusively, but once they were gone Performance was my best bet. I hope the one by me stays. I have always had good service there.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

EMBA Member
    Wanting to get back into mountain biking in 2010, I bought my mountain bike from them. They were nice attentive people in the store I visited. Had my bike worked on a couple times there too, and was happy. One time, they lent me their "shop bike" for the couple days they were going to keep my bike, which they didn't need to do, but I appreciated it.

When I bought a better bike 1.5 years later, I bought elsewhere because they didn't have the level of bike I wanted, and I never went back, but I have only good things to say about my experience there.

mtbr member
    I have purchased a lot of things from Performance over the years. Loved the fact I could look through stuff and browse. Never a bike, but clothes and accessories. They often had more supply and selection on floor than the typical LBS. So if I wanted something "now" or just wanted to "look" or touch/feel it first Performance was my place. Often just looking I walked out with something and often I went in for 1 thing and left with 2-3.

I suspect they will still be around in some markets, but others will close. One thing chapter 11 does allow you to do is to restructure some contracts. In the end it may allow the company to be stronger overall.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Bikesexual
    I find Nashbar a lot better, I only buy the ocassional accesorie, and got a good deal on some NiteRidee lights the other day.

Their delivery does takes for ever to CA.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I went into my local store a week ago and my first thought was the inventory seemed depleted with new staff. My thought was they are on the brink of going under. They serve a purpose, but pail to locally owned stores.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not to mentioned the 30% off black Friday mailer I just received. Makes me leary to order anything.

mtbr member
    This reminds me of Supergo.

Seems like a similar business model that didn't work out.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I find Nashbar a lot better, I only buy the ocassional accesorie, and got a good deal on some NiteRidee lights the other day.

Their delivery does takes for ever to CA.
    Yeah, but Nashbar stores are kinda hard to find.
    What's wrong with him??

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, but Nashbar stores are kinda hard to find.
    Not if you go to Performance.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Oh hell, I have $200 in points. I guess I need to spend em!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    This reminds me of Supergo.

Seems like a similar business model that didn't work out.
    Performance is who bought Supergo back in 2002 or so. Superego rocked and Performance sucked / s in my opinion. More oriented towards family biking and not serious mountain bikers or road bikers. If you have a warehouse of that size you should filll it with quality bike brands like Supergo did. Performance only sells the large dime a dozen brands.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    This sucks. This really sucks for our town. We have one other shop and they're mostly bmx and cruisers.

Our Performance led rides through town once a week, and also did "mountain" bike rides on the levees outside of town. Hey, better than nothing. I told them I could lead rides on actual trails 45 minutes away, but they never took me up on it.

Our mechanics were great. Alton is the man- I've been dealing with him for years, and he knows his shit.

Pretty damn sad. Can't anyone run a business anymore?

Yeah. Our REI closed up shop, too.

I just called the local Performance Bike: they are not personally going under, they are closing 40 stores, two out of three in my city, but the closest one is staying open. Kinda reminds me of a car dealership closing some locations and keeping others, it is what it is.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    Not to mentioned the 30% off black Friday mailer I just received. Makes me leary to order anything.

This. Chapter 7 is almost inevitable in retail. See Sears, Toys'r'us etc. Once they are bankrupt (most people don't know difference between ch. 11 and 7) many people are leery to buy, won't buy gift cards, are worried about returns or to even receive merchandise, and expect fire sale prices.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have had similar experiences - the local Performance store is way too big and still doesn't have much that I would be interested in. REI is just down the street and is much more likely to have the small things that I might pick up locally (Stan's sealant, for instance). The bigger ticket items that local LBS never have, I would not find online at Performance or Nashbar either. My go to online store is Universal Cycles. They rock. Performance and Nashbar do not rock at all, they don't even roll. I will not miss them if they disappear.

Cycologist
    I bought my first mountain bike, shorts*, jersey*, etc at Performance back in '94. When I got back into mountain biking in '06, Nashbar was my go to for ordering stuff; or I'd drive downtown to the Performance store. But if it was simpler stuff, I had an LBS just around the corner. Then they opened a Performance just around another corner from me; I got some great free stuff at the grand opening. They were really good about returns; I bought some tires for a road bike and after a year, they were cracked. I mentioned it when I was in the store and they told me to bring them back, even though it was past a year, and they'd give me a store credit. But I always took any work I needed to my LBS.

Nashbar went way downhill, maybe I got pickier but it seemed like their selection wasn't so good nor their prices. It also seemed like Performance prices went up, and I didn't like their price posting practice of raising the price to show a bigger discount; the sale price usually wasn't much different that the everyday price (though a lot of retailers play that game).

The company that owns Fuji and some others bought Performance a few years ago but I never saw them make that many changes, or maybe that is when the prices went up. I mostly buy online, occasionally small items from my LBS. Last night, I bought a tube and a pair of gloves from REI, which is really close to my office. I moved five years ago so the LBS and Performance store aren't as close to me as they were. There are three around Atlanta and the metro area so I imagine they may close 1 or 2. I've actually been meaning to go by one to look for a saddle for my daughter.

*nice, cotton denim like material. I still have the jersey, though I haven't worn it in years and never wore it much as I didn't like being all matchy matchy with the shorts and it's brown and blue so it doesn't go with my black/grey shorts andÖ it's heavy cotton!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Seems like different people have/have different experiences with Performance's brick and mortars. I've always liked them. The store I frequent in North Texas feels and operates just like any other smaller LBS. It is the ONLY bike shop here (and we have many to choose from) that I've found will let be buy fork oils and brake fluids by simply filling my small containers for amounts I need, rather than having to order larger containers that take a week or more to get in (unless I go to Amazon). I know, not a big deal, but I like it. And when I need a part that isn't in stock, they can get it to me in a day or two. Most local LBS's take much longer. Not a negative reflection of the local LBS, but just a different business model.

I saw a couple of posts commenting about their low quality products. I guess that may refer to their house brand stuff? Because everything else they sell is the same brand and model any shop sells. So no difference in quality there.

Man, the more I think about it, I have long lost count of the number of shoes, chains, gloves, tires, brake pads, etc., I've bought over the years as ongoing consumables at prices that were so much less than other places. And I've bought forks, wheel sets, whole brake systems, saddles, shocks, chain rings, helmets, derailleurs, etc., many times at huge discounts over traditional shops. And I've always gone into the shop to buy, not online. I like the interaction with the people there.

Can't speak to their repair and maintenance though. I do my own work. But, the staff at the back counter always takes time to "talk shop". They've always been more than happy to help whenever I've run onto an issue, or to just exchange experiences, talk about rides, trail conditions, etc.

I do hope the Performance shop I frequent doesn't close down.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I saw a couple of posts commenting about their low quality products. I guess that may refer to their house brand stuff? Because everything else they sell is the same brand and model any shop sells. So no difference in quality there.
    I think it depends on the market you're in, and what the competition looks like.

With lots of competition from local shops at the high end, the Performance stores I visited tried to compete at the low end.

I've bought from their catalog/mail order setup a number of times over the years. Consumable items, like others have mentioned.

The mail order shop I miss is the old Speedgoat shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That was a good article in BRAIN. So, debt and commercial rent, along with sales not being what they expected have driven them to this point.

Performance near me is in a prime spot, unless they are near the end of a long-term lease I do not know how they survive paying the rent at that location. I donít know what happens to leases for commercial property in Ch. 11, but the tenant probably has the choice of what do with it. If the lease is broken then Performance could be sitting in a better position as the holder of the lease probably has to turn to state eviction laws or renegotiate terms. That could bode well for the 60 remaining store they plan to keep.

My experience with Performance closest to me is mostly negative. One of their mechanics was very helpful, but the manager seemed to take glee in noting fine print on sales coupons and how your item was slightly off to qualify. She had probably worked at ToysRUS. But I have been in other Performance in San Diego that were positive experience. Still, Supergo mains store, forget where it was now, Oceanside or Carlsbad? That was an awesome experience, tough to replicate that under Performanceóepic fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Online is still in working order I presume. i get promotional emails on the daily and have taken advantage of some good deals.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Professional Crastinator
    I have a lot of Forte stuff on multiple bikes. They have discontinued some of those items, but they turned out to be good enough for my riding.
    But there were at least 2 Performance stores around here. It was crazy. We have a fairly vibrant mountain bike culture in CLE (believe it or not), but not enough to support 2 giant stores that all sell the exact same things, in addition to all the other bike shops (who remain a bit more focused in their products and services).
    I've been in the actual store 2wice. Once to buy several stems, and once to take back the ones that were the wrong length.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I've rarely ever found anything I liked in their stores. I have a location about 10 minutes from me and often go in when I get their silly 30 - 60% or whatever sales.... and usually those sales are on stuff I have no interest in.... like a pump, or clipless shoes or a ht Fuji road bike. I've always thought of this place more for roadies... since the one I'm close to mainly holds road bikes and accessories.

I did buy a Zoic Ether Shorts (lime green) for my MTB'ing but through their online store. Really good pair of shorts. Oh and some typical gels and minor items as such.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Nashbar still is an Amazon vendor as far as I know and the influence shows when you order from Nashbar as I do every so often. I ordered 26" tubes couple months ago for $2 each. They arrived within a week for $1 extra shipping otherwise would have been free to Hawaii. So ordered enough tubes hopefully won't need any more for a while!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Echoing the feeling of the stores being like the walmart of bike shops.

Actually bought a decent amount of stuff there in that time though. XT brake set, pads, bleed kit, handlebars, grips, stans tubeless conversion for my old 26in HT, clothes, a bike rack, repair stand, shoes, m8020 pedals, etc. but it always felt like a ghost town. And what few employees could be found never seemed enthused to be there.

had to do a post-purchase price match there once and felt like I was some kind of leper.

Moderator Moderator
    I visited them when I was in Charlotte one time. Guys were nice and friendly. However, I thought it was weird I had to fill out paperwork to test out one of their bikes. I also got some parts at an ok deal.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Damn. The performance shops near me where often great for jerseys and shorts, as I find I tend to fit different sizes dependent on brand. Went to stop by the local Bonita Performance after dinner last night to get a new long sleeve jersey and the place was empty. Ugh. I guess I'd better burn through all the points I've accumulated before they close any of the other stores near me.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    I have always thought of them as the Walmart of bike shops. Hard to explain but I just do not like going in their stores. Seemed like they had a whole lotta nothing in their store.
    Exactly, but I often found they did not even have the lowest prices. They just sold low end stuff at higher prices than online. Last time I was at my local Performance shop. They had no inventory and a huge store and not one employee showed any interest in even speaking to me. Felt like a Walmart experience. Employees that do not care and a go find it yourself attitude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, that was fast, got the email today that the one closest to me is closing. I don't think it's a highly trafficked area, particularly for bicycles. Although that location didn't have the atmosphere that another one farther away had, it had some good folks working there. Hope they land on their feet.

slow
    I like them for consumables and for closeout deals on clothing and helmets. I just found this list of stores to which they are no longer offering ship-to-store on their website. There are two additional stores in Houston that were cut off of my screen shot. I would assume it is also the list of stores they are closing. Looks like our local shop will remain open.

Performance Bike- chapter 11-performanceclosing.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I like them for consumables and for closeout deals on clothing and helmets. I just found this list of stores to which they are no longer offering ship-to-store on their website. There are two additional stores in Houston that were cut off of my screen shot. I would assume it is also the list of stores they are closing. Looks like our local shop will remain open.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PerformanceClosing.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1225755
    Interesting. Well, my email had the Dallas location on Midway road closing and 40% off everything. Doesn't look like that lists any DFW stores and I would bet there's more than one closing.

sngltrak, Iím not sure how many Performances youíve been in but our local one in FC is the smallest one Iíve ever seen. Most are close to the size of a Home Depot. The one in FC is the size of a regular LBS. just saying. The Trek SuperStore out on Harmony is about half the size of most Performances, just to give you an idea.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    sngltrak, Iím not sure how many Performances youíve been in but our local one in FC is the smallest one Iíve ever seen. Most are close to the size of a Home Depot. The one in FC is the size of a regular LBS. just saying. The Trek SuperStore out on Harmony is about half the size of most Performances, just to give you an idea.
    I have been in only 2: our current location and the previous location at Mulberry and College, which was about 3 times the size of our current shop. The lease in the current location must be manageable, given the smaller square footage.

I have been in only 2: our current location and the previous location at Mulberry and College, which was about 3 times the size of our current shop. The lease in the current location must be manageable, given the smaller square footage.
    I donít recall the one at Mulberry and College. Was it where the Sports Authority was?

slow
    I donít recall the one at Mulberry and College. Was it where the Sports Authority was?
    No. Across the street in the west side of the building that Safeway was in, facing College. This was late 90's. Art store was there next and now it is a liquor store.

No. Across the street in the west side of the building that Safeway was in, facing College. This was late 90's. Art store was there next and now it is a liquor store.
    Got it..👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Interesting. Well, my email had the Dallas location on Midway road closing and 40% off everything. Doesn't look like that lists any DFW stores and I would bet there's more than one closing.
    I frequent the one in Southlake here in DFW. Guess I should check on them, and act on any closeout deals if they are closing. That shop usually seems to have at least as much traffic as other LBS's.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Southlake is NOT on the close list.

The only one in the MetroMess that I heard of closing is the one near Galleria.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    ^^^ Southlake is NOT on the close list.

The only one in the MetroMess that I heard of closing is the one near Galleria.
    I wish the one near me was closing. Always a chance at some good scores.

slow
    I wish the one near me was closing. Always a chance at some good scores.
    The current Black Friday deal of 30% off most of the store is a pretty good opportunity for some decent scores. Also, they have have a pretty good closeout section and if you are a member, then you get 50% off the lowest price on any of the closeouts.

The current Black Friday deal of 30% off most of the store is a pretty good opportunity for some decent scores. Also, they have have a pretty good closeout section and if you are a member, then you get 50% off the lowest price on any of the closeouts.
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I let my membership expire years ago. Maybe Iíll drop in there on Friday though.

mtbr member
    Pb was awesome back in the day! The prices were decent, but their points system was nuts. You'd end up getting a lot of free stuff if you strategically bought on high point days. My local one (Pleasanton CA) always had crazy helmet and clothing sales.

And you could return everything. 100% satisfaction guarantee, forever.

They sold out, and the return policy went away. The points scaled back and inventory seemed to dwindle. Not surprised they're not doing well, they gutted the place years ago.

Update: Apparently all stores are being closed now.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/importantupdate
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 1 Week Ago at 07:49 AM.

Magically Delicious
    I noticed something was getting worse when a store that was to remain open suddenly announced it too was closing.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Went to a nearby store that was known to be on the closing list yesterday. It was picked fairly clean of anything decent, and what was left was supposedly 30-50% off... suffice it to say mostly 30.

May check out some other locations but im not expecting much in the way of deals, at least nothing better than the black friday sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Dropped into my local store yesterday to check out the deals. Some decent prices, but nothing great yet. I had some point to use, so I grabbed a few items and headed for the cash register. Unfortunately theyíve stopped accepting their own points, so I passed on the whole purchase. The cashier mentioned that you can use your points online, so I did a quick check of the site. Most of the items arenít on sale, so I guess Iím going to pass on cashing out my $40 in points.

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Dropped into my local store yesterday to check out the deals. Some decent prices, but nothing great yet. I had some point to use, so I grabbed a few items and headed for the cash register. Unfortunately theyíve stopped accepting their own points, so I passed on the whole purchase. The cashier mentioned that you can use your points online, so I did a quick check of the site. Most of the items arenít on sale, so I guess Iím going to pass on cashing out my $40 in points.
    Sounds like a pointless trip.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    I've heard the business may continue online only in the future, which would explain why the online items are not on sale. Often in these situations, the in-store inventory has been sold to a liquidation company and is no longer owned by the retailer, so they cannot honor discounts and reward programs. Typically the liquidation companies start with slim discounts and then increase discounts as inventory diminishes. I went to our local store the other day and the deals are nothing like the deals that were in the store during the black Friday sale.

since 4/10/2009
    I've heard the business may continue online only in the future, which would explain why the online items are not on sale. Often in these situations, the in-store inventory has been sold to a liquidation company and is no longer owned by the retailer, so they cannot honor discounts and reward programs. Typically the liquidation companies start with slim discounts and then increase discounts as inventory diminishes. I went to our local store the other day and the deals are nothing like the deals that were in the store during the black Friday sale.
    I once worked for a liquidation company while they closed down a store. Summer job between high school and college. This is pretty much how it worked.

Confused a lot of customers and cause frustration because they didn't understand the change in management. Had one frustrated guy assault a customer service employee because "no returns or exchanges" was an absolutely hard rule. Understandably if you get what's going on.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I once worked for a liquidation company while they closed down a store. Summer job between high school and college. This is pretty much how it worked.

Confused a lot of customers and cause frustration because they didn't understand the change in management. Had one frustrated guy assault a customer service employee because "no returns or exchanges" was an absolutely hard rule. Understandably if you get what's going on.
    According to this article, there is a liquidation company running the show right now:
    https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.XA_1hWhKjIU

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Pb was awesome back in the day! The prices were decent, but their points system was nuts. You'd end up getting a lot of free stuff if you strategically bought on high point days. My local one (Pleasanton CA) always had crazy helmet and clothing sales.

And you could return everything. 100% satisfaction guarantee, forever.

They sold out, and the return policy went away. The points scaled back and inventory seemed to dwindle. Not surprised they're not doing well, they gutted the place years ago.

Not to mention that they basically sell two types of bikes: the $500 ones that still have a freewheel in back, and the $5000 ones that are about $2000 overpriced from the equivalent bike online.

Why are companies like Fuji still putting 7-speed freewheels on mountain bikes?
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was wary of Performance before I went into one, now the Southlake location was better than a LBS. I bought my Marin Pine Mountain and Pine Mountain 2 from them, and they always would work on the bikes whenever I brought them in. This wasn't just for the Marins, I brought in a bike purchased elsewhere that needed a cassette lockring, they installed it and fixed a shifting issue right there. Better service than the LBS down the road in Grapevine, I went looking for a Yeti or Ibis, they could have been less interested.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Why are companies like Fuji still putting 7-speed freewheels on mountain bikes?
    I think to make them bad enough to drive people to the $700 8-speed model. Or they figure the people who don't spend enough on a bike to get a freehub also won't really use it much, which is probably true more often than not.

A coworker of mine killed a Trek FX with a freewheel. He had the usual cracked axle, the flex allowed by that caused fatigue in the stays.

mtbr member
    I always liked using them. I passed them on the way home from work, they have sales alot and have a good return policy. Well, I stopped in and bought a new bladder for my hydration pack at a good discount. That's my last stop in the store as there is nothing left there that I can use. But there are two other bike shops along my rout to stop in for supplies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Locally here in the east SFO area many good LBS's are struggling----part of the issue is within 10 miles of the Performance store are 8-10 bike shops----hopefully having performance go will help the others but I suspect there are still to many for the current state of bike sales

mtbr member
    Anyone hit the Southlake, Texas store yet? Wondering if there's anything left worth stopping by for. May swing by after a quick ride at Horseshoe this afternoon (the only DFW trail open thanks to endless flippin' rain since July...).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Anyone hit the Southlake, Texas store yet? Wondering if there's anything left worth stopping by for. May swing by after a quick ride at Horseshoe this afternoon (the only DFW trail open thanks to endless flippin' rain since July...).
    Don't live there so can't say specifically, but when liquidator takes over it is a March down the demand curve until it is gone. Also, pay attention to "up to __off" language as you may find everything rung up at regular price at register.

Other than possibly tires, I am going to wait them out longer.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Make America Bike Again
    My local one 5 miles away is closing this Saturday.

I'll drive there tomorrow and see if there are any steals (like maybe a Diamondback Mason 2 for $500, then I'll get something that for sure). Otherwise, I have a feeling that their prices will be around 40% off, and that price will, by sheer coincidence, match more or less the prices online for the same bike or part. This is exactly why they went under, because it's so much easier to buy online for cheaper.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    SE is barely a BMX company now anyway. Stupid overpriced bikes and most of them are basically cruisers for old farts and people that only want to do wheelies.

LOL my main bike is an SE, and at $517 I assure you it was not overpriced. It's not a BMX tho. As for SE BMX bikes, I will take your word for it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    LOL my main bike is an SE, and at $517 I assure you it was not overpriced. It's not a BMX tho. As for SE BMX bikes, I will take your word for it.
    You shouldn't.

SE Bikes is managed by legendary BMXer Todd Lyons. They still sponsor a BMX race team. They have an affordable line of entry level BMX race bikes that they sell a ton of. There are also some decent affordable trail bikes and retro bikes etc.

Yeah, it's not high end stuff, they do the Fat Ripper and wheelie rides and all that too. But the brand was specifically mentioned by the head corporate dude as a bright spot in their line up.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Don't live there so can't say specifically, but when liquidator takes over it is a March down the demand curve until it is gone. Also, pay attention to "up to __off" language as you may find everything rung up at regular price at register.

Other than possibly tires, I am going to wait them out longer.

In my local store this week Shimano was 10% off, nutrition was 30% off, computers were 40% off, and everything else was 20-25% off. So far the deals are not any better than I can find elsewhere.

mtbr member
    I stopped by the Southlake, Texas store... everything's 30-50% off. Was told prices are changing constantly right now. Most helmets and shoes are just about gone. A few bikes still around, Marin's, etc. Still a bunch of tires and a lot of clothes. Tools and parts are thin, as are racks. Still a good amount of misc stuff... saddle bags, pumps, wheel sets, nutrition, bottles and holders, etc. I was told they're getting boxes of stuff in from what sounds like a local shipping distribution warehouse that is being cleaned out, so store inventory will fluctuate. I haven't been by the other 3 stores we have here.

Cycologist
    I stopped by last weekend. I wasn't overly impressed with the prices, I can buy Clifbars cheaper at the grocery store. I did buy some bar tape for my son's road bike.

Bikesexual
    I doubt they will have any bikes In Store.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I bought a Performance-branded road racing bike way back in the 80's when they were just a catalog. Going even further back, Bike Nashbar was actually born out of a catalog in the 70's called Bike Warehouse. They used to have hand drawn illustrations of the stuff they sold. Over the years I've spent tons of money with both of them. Not always the best service, but sometimes it was absolutely stellar. The Performance store in Boulder has always been pretty busy, I'm sure it is not that one that is causing the bankruptcy.

I did not know they were owned by the same company that owned Fuji and Breezer. I almost bought a Breezer Inversion gravel bike last year, nice bike.

The bike industry in the US is really hurting right now, and I hate to think of what will happen to it if we tip into a recession. If things are this bad now, what happens when the economy takes a dump?

I blame three major factors on the bicycle industry slowdown.

1) For the past 20 years people drive their kids everywhere. People who don't ride as kids rarely come into the sport later on.
    2) Dangerous traffic conditions have turned a lot of people off from riding (and is a partial reason for #1 above).
    3) Cycling is just too damn expensive as a sport.

Companies should be *dumping* money into the High School MTB programs, and in areas like the midwest where there aren't any trails, they should figure out a grass track program or road time trials or *something* to get kids involved.

The US turning more and more urban isn't helping any. A smaller percentage of people live where it is safe to ride now, and another factor is that the more urban the area, the higher the crime rate. You don't want your kid to be out riding alone, and even if they are OK personally, their bikes are not safe being locked outside anywhere.

Make America Bike Again

They still do have bikes, but the discounts are not nearly enough to even think of buying. Same with the components, like wheelsets. The bike prices even with the 25% discounts are way higher than they should be. I could build a really nice 23-24 lb hardtail with a 1x12 drivetrain for 1/2 the cost of what they are selling a 28 lb 1x11 hardtail for. No surprise that they are going under. It is sad tho cause I liked the crew that worked there.

Interplanetary Poultry
    They still do have bikes, but the discounts are not nearly enough to even think of buying. Same with the components, like wheelsets. The bike prices even with the 25% discounts are way higher than they should be. I could build a really nice 23-24 lb hardtail with a 1x12 drivetrain for 1/2 the cost of what they are selling a 28 lb 1x11 hardtail for. No surprise that they are going under. It is sad tho cause I liked the crew that worked there.
    Yeah. I went into the Point Loma store and the riding gear, after a 25% discount was still $5 over MSRP. Ugh.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

Bikesexual
    The Long Beach store closed today, too far of a drive, my closest in Ontario closed at the beginning of the year. I wasn't a huge fan to begin with but did a couple of road rides with them.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Yeah. I went into the Point Loma store and the riding gear, after a 25% discount was still $5 over MSRP. Ugh.
    I don't think I ever bought anything other than tubes from there. But I had pretty good luck with that store's shop, for the few times when I couldn't find a part or had something I couldn't fix meself. One time they found a dog bone for my old GT iDrive (the original snapped and the bike's pretty useless without it). They always turned around wheel repairs inside of a day. And when I needed an axle washer to replace one that broke on my SS, they just grabbed one out of a parts bin and gave it to me for no charge.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    The two Austin stores have tons of bikes on steep discount. Nothing that interests me, but if you're in the market there are deals to be had.

Bikesexual
    The two Austin stores have tons of bikes on steep discount. Nothing that interests me, but if you're in the market there are deals to be had.
    Yeah, I guess since they said no more shipping to store, and others have mentioned them being mostly junk, I assumed bikes were not at some stores.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I don't think I ever bought anything other than tubes from there. But I had pretty good luck with that store's shop, for the few times when I couldn't find a part or had something I couldn't fix meself. One time they found a dog bone for my old GT iDrive (the original snapped and the bike's pretty useless without it). They always turned around wheel repairs inside of a day. And when I needed an axle washer to replace one that broke on my SS, they just grabbed one out of a parts bin and gave it to me for no charge.
    I dealt with the ones in Oceanside and LaMesa. Mainly because both were bike shops I dealt with before Performance bought them out. The one in LaMesa used to be Bike USA. Just a mile from where I lived at the time and a great shop. Once Performance took them over I only used them in emergency tube or whatever buys. The one in Oceanside used to be SuperGo. The first bike I bought was from them. A GT iDrive. Once Performance took them over I rarely went there. I did have a set of wheels built there though only because I heard the mechanic had a solid rep for wheel building. Turned out to be true, still running those wheels without issue. I had to special order Chris King hubs and Mavic rims from them for the build.

Cycologist
    Going back and rereading the link in mack_turtle's OP:

Patrick Cunnane, the CEO of ASE, said the ASI distribution business is profitable but the company was unable to turn around the retail business, which has seen sales declines for the last six years.

"We were undercapitalized from the start," he told BRAIN. "We bought (Performance) because two years ago Performance was heavily in debt to ASI. If Performance had failed then, ASI would have failed. So we would have been in this same position but two years ago."

That really sucks, Performance owed them so much money that they had to buy the sinking ship and hope they could right it before it drowned them as well, which it eventually did. Hopefully their other brands will remain intact, Fuji, Breezer, etc. A coworker is a big track guy and said that Fuji makes some really nice track bikes now-a-days and has been great at donating/discounting track bikes for his organization. I looked and don't see anything on Fuji or Breezer's website nor Nashbar's so it looks like only Performance is going away and the parent company can reorganize.

Also sucks for the list of companies Performance owes money to but I guess that is business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Something fishy about ASE explanation but doesn't matter now. I'm a little surprised that they went so quickly from reorganizing to all over.

The days of LBS unaffiliated with Trek or Specialized are numbered.

I went to Performance close to my home, Springfield, VA, nothing worth buying yet. Up to 20-40% off, with most things I saw around 10%. I saw a truing stand but it only went up to 28" wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    The days of LBS unaffiliated with Trek or Specialized are numbered.
    Curious, why do you say this? My LBS sells neither and they are crushing it. They focus on smaller brands that don't require them to sell their soul and stock heavy, like Trek and Specialized do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Curious, why do you say this? My LBS sells neither and they are crushing it. They focus on smaller brands that don't require them to sell their soul and stock heavy, like Trek and Specialized do.
    Had read an article on BRAIN referencing the large number of LBS left associated with those two. Actually, to me it sounds like circling the wagons.

Thatís great that you have a shop like that near you, i wish I could say the same. Where I am at, real estate is quite expensive, and the commercial rents have to be a driving factor in shops around here going under, along with general industry impact from internet retail or buy-direct.

Just musing here, as I was thinking after I walked out of Performance, ďwhat can i get there that I canít get online, cheaper, better selection, and I donít have to deal with shit DC area traffic?Ē Nothing. Plus, Amazon Prime membership has far greater value than Performance club. Not just performance, as there is not a single LBS in my area within reasonable driving time (30-40 minutes) that Iíd go to for anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk