Pearl Izumi = Losers- Mtbr.com
    Up yer kilt!

No good Pearl Izumi = Losers

Well, you know the economy is in the toilet when the customer service arm of a place like Pearl Izumi is willing to add insult to injury… and in a cowardly way as well.

Short story? Okay.

I buy a pair of their top 'o the line shorts (Microsensor 3D) back before last season and not 2 months in they come apart at the seam, the chamois starts to come out and they split where the stitches came out. Whoa!

Here I'm thinking: "$120 for a pair of shorts and they fail like a pair of $20 ones never would?" I'll take them back and see what they can do.

Did I buy them in Québec? No...I picked them up in Berkeley at REI. So I drop a line to Pearl asking what to do.
    "Take them to any of our retailers." They say. Cool.

I take them to the Canuck equivalent to REI: MEC.

They look at them and tell me they’ll “…send them back to their distributor and they will handle it.” Okay.

Today: I get a package from the distributor! New shorts!

Yes, a pair of their $60, bottom of the line Attack shorts.

Pearl Izumi has lost a customer for life… or two... or ten or… well, people who know me know that I ride hard but I don’t abuse my stuff (just my body) and my riding club up here is shocked actually. Seems they’re not to happy with the prices they have to pay and now have one more reason to drop Pearl from their list of clothing options.

I guess I’ll stick to Fox and Primal… at least their stuff lasts.

Feb 2004
    Have you called and asked for an explanation? Maybe it was a mistake and they sent the wrong short. I'd give 'em a call first and see what they say before you decide to drop them for life.

3D guy

Good luck for me

PI Microsensor shorts have worked great for me. Going on 1.5 years no problems, no seam issues. Also, REI is great about returns (I know you are not local to one). I have taken open, used stuff back for full credit or replacement, no questions ask.

Just wanted to share my good experiences. I would hope that there was a mistake at the distributor (note, the distributor is possibly not associated with PI directly and just acts a central middleman).

My two cents.

Mar 2004

i guess they

forgot about ..message boards

Mar 2004

i guess they

forgot about ..message boards

ballbuster

dang, dude! How many forums did you post this on?

pick a forum and stick with it. Otherwise, it looks like you're whining.

Probably drunk right now

As other have suggested....

I bet there is some guy somewhere in the world with a traacking number damn close to yours who is saying, "PI kicks ass! I sent in my $80 shorts and they replaced it with the top of the line micro sensor $120 shorts!"

Before *****ing, I think a phone call asking them if they made a mistake is in order.

Ken

Mar 2004

My .02

I recently had a pair of PI shorts I bought about 3 seasons ago that did the same thing. All of the seams started coming apart, nothing else wrong with the short. I called PI who told me to take to a local retailer. I took them to my LBS 10 days later a pair of equivalent shorts. No questions, No hassles, no problems.

I have been buying from REI for over 20 years now and have never had a problem returning anything to them for a refund or exchange.

Mar 2004

One word...

Sugoi.

GF

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

have you ever thought that

perhaps you are an innocent victim of:

mis·take ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-stk)
    n.
    An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
    A misconception or misunderstanding.

or

er·ror ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rr)
    n.
    An act, assertion, or belief that unintentionally deviates from what is correct, right, or true.
    The condition of having incorrect or false knowledge.
    The act or an instance of deviating from an accepted code of behavior.
    A mistake.

you're making it sound like the President of PI saw the return and said "fock this guy, he's not getting the same shorts. we'll just save some coin and send him the cheapies" while the reality is that there's probably some person sitting in warranty who's making about 7 bucks an hour who fills out some paperwork then sends that paperwork over to somebody in the warehouse making about 6.50 and hour to go retrieve the shorts from the shelf.

and that of course hinges on the fact that the person making 6 bucks an hour put the correct shorts into the bin that is now sitting in the warehouse in the location that sixe whatever top of the line shorts is supposed to contain.

after that, the shipping guy prints out a shipping label for all of hte shorts he has sitting on his table. since he's making about 8 bucks an hour you'd figure that he was more careful but still, he could have placed the wrong shorts with each address label so now the top of the line shorts just went to somebody who biatched and moaned about their socks ripping.

yes, it sucks when you're the victim of a mistake. But, think back about how many times you had to go back and fix something becuase let's face it, nobody in life is perfect. Mistakes happen. Should they? no. But even Six Sigma quality control says that you'll get 6 mistakes per Billion parts so teh tightest quality control will still let some errors through the system...................

YR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kinda same thing happened to me.....

I bought a microsensor jersey once and they didn't have it in stock. A couple weeks later a package arrives.... an Attack jersey... Like you, I was pretty disappointed at what I received in the mail. I sent them an email stating what happened and that I was disappointed at how they handled the situation. Within a week or so, I received an email saying that they were looking into the matter and then within a couple weeks, a microsensor jersey was shipped to me. Moral of the story is that you should contact them about what happened and straighten the details out so that they can get it right.

Good luck

Feb 2004

Rei?

Dude if you bought it at REI they will take it back with no questions asked. I have taken so much stuff back thats why I love the place

jrm
    mtbr member

Cant blame ya..

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie America
    Well, you know the economy is in the toilet when the customer service arm of a place like Pearl Izumi is willing to add insult to injury… and in a cowardly way as well.

Short story? Okay.

I buy a pair of their top 'o the line shorts (Microsensor 3D) back before last season and not 2 months in they come apart at the seam, the chamois starts to come out and they split where the stitches came out. Whoa!

Here I'm thinking: "$120 for a pair of shorts and they fail like a pair of $20 ones never would?" I'll take them back and see what they can do.

Did I buy them in Québec? No...I picked them up in Berkeley at REI. So I drop a line to Pearl asking what to do.
    "Take them to any of our retailers." They say. Cool.

I take them to the Canuck equivalent to REI: MEC.

They look at them and tell me they’ll “…send them back to their distributor and they will handle it.” Okay.

Today: I get a package from the distributor! New shorts!

Yes, a pair of their $60, bottom of the line Attack shorts.

Pearl Izumi has lost a customer for life… or two... or ten or… well, people who know me know that I ride hard but I don’t abuse my stuff (just my body) and my riding club up here is shocked actually. Seems they’re not to happy with the prices they have to pay and now have one more reason to drop Pearl from their list of clothing options.

I guess I’ll stick to Fox and Primal… at least their stuff lasts.
    I would diffenitely look into their justification for sending you attacks. Buy the way i have a pair of the attacks and they are real comfy.

Apr 2004

They suck. Why did you buy Pearl in the first place?

Stick with companies that like bikes more than running....