mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Pay someone to paint bike frame

Where do you send the bike to be painted? Do you send it to automotive painter?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Google powder coat companies near me, boom!
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Google powder coat companies near me, boom!
    Ah ok. I will look for these companies

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    ^^^ Powder coat is a good option for metal frames. Baking temp for power coating is ~400F. Paint is appropriate for metal and CF frames. Preparation of the frame is key and is the biggest part of the job and starts with complete disassembly of the bike, usually including removing any pressed in cups, bearings, etc...

Powder coaters are likely to be experienced with painting motorcycle and bicycle frames. Automotive painters may not.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Might be worth seeking out a company that specializes in powder coating bikes, or at least confirming with a local powder coating business that they know how to work with a bicycle frame.

One such example of the former: https://groodybros.com/

the discerning hooligan
    So you know, prices will be all over the place, so call around. And remember, a good paint job will increase the value of your bike by about $6(US). It's not an investment...you'll be doing it for you.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Bikesexual
    When I bought my Kona frame, I was going to have it PC, called around and about $140 is what I was quoted.

Not bad, but when I picked up the frame, it is in such perfect shape I didn't bother with it.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Rattle can it in your living room or bedroom closet if the paint fumes bother you. Use rustolium so the aluminum won't rust.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Rattle can it in your living room or bedroom closet if the paint fumes bother you. Use rustolium so the aluminum won't rust.
    Some proper advice there throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Some proper advice there throughout.
    Yeah and prep is everything. Sand it down on a bench grinder first. A belt sander will work in a pinch.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Yeah and prep is everything. Sand it down on a bench grinder first. A belt sander will work in a pinch.
    It’s that whole aluminum rust thing that’s hard to avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It’s that whole aluminum rust thing that’s hard to avoid.
    Finding someone who specializes in bike frame is ideal. Theyll be familiar with prep techniques and spraying techniques for bike gauge tubes. If they blast frame, gotta use mild media like nut shell. Anything more agressive is not goot for thin bike tubing.
    Decades ago i had frame resprayed, sent it to Cyclearts to do it with Imron.
    Powdercoat frames is not recommended where i live, tropical clime with lots of humid salty air apparently gets under the coating and corrodes.
    Oh and aluminum does “rust”. Its just that usually it immediately forms a tough oxide (rust) layer that prevent further oxidation. Because of that, painting it needs specific prep and primer too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Finding someone who specializes in bike frame is ideal. Theyll be familiar with prep techniques and spraying techniques for bike gauge tubes. If they blast frame, gotta use mild media like nut shell. Anything more agressive is not goot for thin bike tubing.
    Decades ago i had frame resprayed, sent it to Cyclearts to do it with Imron.
    Powdercoat frames is not recommended where i live, tropical clime with lots of humid salty air apparently gets under the coating and corrodes.
    Oh and aluminum does “rust”. Its just that usually it immediately forms a tough oxide (rust) layer that prevent further oxidation. Because of that, painting it needs specific prep and primer too.
    it will be tough to find a painter with experience with powder coating bikes.

No known cure
    I've used Spectrum Powder Works to coat a new custom frame. It was a little more than I expected but I went with a one off color and had the decals below the clear coat. Prep and finish were top drawer.

Previously, I had another custom frame coated by a outfit local to the builder. It came out great, but didn't pop like the Spectrum job and the finish on the drop outs was not as clean as Spectrum and the decals were die cut on top of the powder coat. All perfectly fine for a mountain bike.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales