Patched tube and now....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Patched tube and now....

Just got my first flat. Patched it and all seems good except now when riding on smooth pavement I can feel what seems like a flat spot in the tire. Can the patch cause this to happen or is the tire just bad now?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zx1100
    Just got my first flat. Patched it and all seems good except now when riding on smooth pavement I can feel what seems like a flat spot in the tire. Can the patch cause this to happen or is the tire just bad now?
    I've never felt a patch on the tube when riding.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I've never felt a patch on the tube when riding.
    Ditto. It's either your head playing games with you, or you're feeling something else.

tube may be twisted/mounted funky in the tire.

take the tube out, fill it with enough air so that it takes a round shape, carefully put it back in the tire without having to squeeze it in or bunch it up.
    sometimes you can get it to sit better by just letting all the air out and squeezing the sides of the tire all the way around (basically trying to get kinks out of the tube without taking it out)....and then pumping it back up.

it's....
    It's just some dog poo stuck on your tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    It's just some dog poo stuck on your tire.
    Funny you say that because there actually was, honestly, and I had to clean it off

Took the tire off and performed the suggestion by nomit but everything looks good. While on the bike stand, tire put back and inflated, when I spin it I can see that the tire is not round and does have a dip in one section. I tried everything I can think of to fix it but it's just won't go away, as if the tire in that section is sitting on the rim a little lower than the rest of the tire. The rim is straight and true.

Just noticeable when I ride on pavement the times I'm not on the trail. Might just have to live with it until I get a new tire.

Thanks for the replys.

strange. i've had lumpy/lopsided tires that i've fixed just by making sure the tube is seated in the tire correctly.

stans tubeless kit is like $60, which i'd definitely recommend. or a new tube is probably $3

local trails rider
    the tire in that section is sitting on the rim a little lower than the rest of the tire.
    Sounds like the tire might not be seated quite right on the rim.
    A few more tricks.

- put some soap or soapy water on the rim before mounting the tire. (I never have)
    - at very low pressure, squeeze the tire all over, or bounce it off the ground, in hope that everything will settle (I usually do this and everything goes fine)
    - pump up the tire, as much as you dare. All the pressure will hopefully push the tire bead in to its place.

Ride Instigator
    Maybe the tire got damaged when you got your flat. I was using some cheepie tires on my road bike. I had only 100 miles on them and one became oddly mis-shapen and there was a "thump" every revolution, I'd imagine he same could happen with an MTB tire.

pedal pusher
    My tire had a bit of a bumpy spot... but only because it was falling apart at the seems.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I tried everything I can think of to fix it but it's just won't go away, as if the tire in that section is sitting on the rim a little lower than the rest of the tire. The rim is straight and true.
    Can you see if indeed the tire is seated correctly (evenly) in the rim at that point? It sounds like it is not seated right. Check inside the rim to see if there is anything keeping the tire bead from seating.

Also, try rotating the tire on the rim and see if the flat spot follows the rim or the tire. At least you will identify the culprit.

pedal pusher
    Could the issue be with worn bearings?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Make sure the bead is seated properly. Mine wasn't the other day and caused a hop in the wheel until I fixed it.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is probably just that the tire bead is not fully (evenly) set into the rim bead. There is usually a line on the tire just above the rim that gives you a visual indication if the bead is not fully set.

It is not unusual to have to over-inflate to 50-60 psi to get the bead to pop into place.

If this does not work, deflate the tire and apply soapy water to the tire/rim beads and re-inflate until the tire pops into place.

mtbr member
    Not the bearings because I can definitely see that the tire has the flat spot. I did the soapy water trick and it seemed to help enough that I don't notice it as much unless I make a point to try to feel it while riding. I did take a look at the line above the rim and it is slightly below the rim at that spot. Couldn't get the line to be above the rim throughout the entire circumference of the wheel no matter what I do Just seems to alway have that couple inches where it's below the rim.

At this point I can live with it until I get new tires and also replace the patched tube.

Thanks again for all the ideas

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pump it on up to 60psi if you haven't done that yet. It should pop into place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Pump it on up to 60psi if you haven't done that yet. It should pop into place.
    Thanks gmcttr...pumped it on up and it seemed to do the trick I had to go out and purchase a new pump since I've only been using a very small frame pump and no way to tell the exact pressure.

Thanks again all

Rod
    mtbr member
    I'm glad you found the problems, but I've messed a tire up by hitting a rock that I didn't see at a high speed last fall that was hidden in the leaves. The tire definitely has a wobble in it. I've ridden it for 1k miles at least and it performs flawless even though it doesn't look the way it performs.

Members who have read this thread: 0