Patch a tube or toss it?- Mtbr.com
    L&L

Jan 2007

Patch a tube or toss it?

I have what i think is my first pinch flat (very,very small hole in the tube that lays on the side wall of the tire). I found nothing in the tire that might have caused it, and i was running a lowish pressure (only a 2.14 tire though ). I have placed a new tube on the bike, but i feel wastful throwing the old tube away...should i patch it and use it next time i get a flat, or should a chuck it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I generally patch a tube and use it. I will replace after 2 or 3 patches or whenever I buy a new set of tires, whichever comes first. I've always patched them on the spot and used them, so I don't know about patching it and packing it away for future use.

Get out and ride
    Apr 2007
    Patch.

conjoinicorned
    i put a new tube in on the trail, then patch at home. the patched tubes become my spares for the next ride. around 5 patches and i consider the tube finished....
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i know is wrong, but if there's a tree nearby, I decorate it.

mtbr member
    Patch it and then pack it as a spare. I usually retire a tube after two or three patches depending on the severity.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i put a new tube in on the trail, then patch at home. the patched tubes become my spares for the next ride. around 5 patches and i consider the tube finished....
    Same here.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    I typically do the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I patch it without removing the wheel then i re-insert it and go.
    I'll only patch once then trash it.
    I use quik patches and find that if you inflate the tube and throw the patch on while the tube is somewhat inflated they hold up really well.
    For snake bite you may have to inflate twice.

Jun 2006
    if it leaks it's garbage. patching them may save a couple bucks, but you never get a reliable tube again. I've wasted too much time on trying to patch tires only to have them leak air anyways.

Tubes are cheap, what are they worth, $3?

I've been running freeride tubes for a while now without any flat issues

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I patch them after the ride and use them as spares. If you take the time to do it right, I don't think there's too much reliability problem with patched tubes, up to a couple of patches.

Pinch flates or "snakebites" usually have two holes (that look like a snake bit the tube), so having one hole in the sidewall might not be a pinch flat, for the record.

I went more than two years without a flat running mavic tubeless ceramics on my old xc bike, and have recently switched to Stans NoTubes and have had no problems or flats (knock on wood...). I still carry a spare tube though.
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by L&L
    I have what i think is my first pinch flat (very,very small hole in the tube that lays on the side wall of the tire). I found nothing in the tire that might have caused it, and i was running a lowish pressure (only a 2.14 tire though ). I have placed a new tube on the bike, but i feel wastful throwing the old tube away...should i patch it and use it next time i get a flat, or should a chuck it?
    Patch it!

And keep patching it as long as it is repairable. I have tubes with 12-15 patches. I have also had tubes be unrepairable the first time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Patch. There's too much of a disposable consumer culture about already

slow
    I am cheap. I usually patch them until I start patching on top of patches. Will usually let 8-10 tubes pile up and then have a patching party and patch them all at once while watching my son's ball games. I get a patch kit and then another dozen or so individual patches from the LBS. One tube of glue will do them all.

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    Both the tubes on my bike have 5-8 patches on them, and they have been running great. I would definitely recommend patching tubes as long as they dont look like they are disintegrating.

As several people have said above, I also put in a new tube, come home, and patch up the faulty tube, and use it as a spare. I have been using only 2 extra tube since the last two years.... I did toss out three tubes, because they had snakebite flats on them, and it would have been very humiliating to patch them...
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Toss them all and go tubeless.

And if you did pinch flat then you shouldn't find anythign that cased it except for low pressure

Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr

dude....

bi-winning
    typically, i patch a tube 2-5 times before i throw it away. i have found glue on patches to be very reliable. the pre-glued stick on type, are not a good long term solution though imo.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    don't do that.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    UST and now pinch flats.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Same here.

Derailleurless
    Wear patches like badges of honor. The more the better.

Park glueless patches work in a pinch, but I consider them temporary.

I don't recall a proper rubber patch failing me, other than one I've applied incorrectly, and that hasn't happened in a long time.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

haha

twist my arm til I say uncle first!

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAPE
    don't do that.

mtbr member
    Patch it. Usually patch on the ride too rather than switch to a new tube; my flats seem to occur in pairs, so I patch the first one and save the tube for the second if needed. Also I know that by the time I get home, I have forgotten about the tube in my bag that needs to be patched.

I use the Park glueless patchs and have had great luck with them, I treat them as a "permenant" solution. Speaking of which, I get to patch a flat on my roadie so I can ride home from work, epphing potholes.

mtbr member
    I've always thrown my tubes away after one flat but you guys have now inspired me to patch em' and use them as spares.

College Boy
    For the trail I would just replace the tube and then patch the tube when I get home and it becomes one of my spare tubes.. I hve been using slime glue less patches as a "permenant" solution and have not had any issue with them. I want to say after about 3-4 patches I toss the tube.

Members who have read this thread: 0