Our MTB Trip to Spain @ Pure Mountains- Mtbr.com
    Chamois Dropper

Our MTB Trip to Spain @ Pure Mountains

My wife has been wanting me to travel to Spain with her, so she enticed me into going by booking a tour with Home | Pure Mountains mountain bike vacations. We really did not know what to expect, being Florida riders. We were apprehensive about the altitude, cold, and the skill level required to ride in the mountains. We ended up having the best time we have ever had on a trip to Europe, made some great friends, and had the most exhilarating four days of our life. Captions are below the pics.....

Pure Mountains sent a van to pick us up at the airport in Malaga, Spain. We had previously visited Madrid, Sevilla and Ronda.Here's the group on the first day, My wife and I are on the far left. Four of the riders were completing their tour, and this was their last day.

This is the view from our hotel in Berchules, in the Sierra Nevada mountains, the Andalusia region of southern Spain. If you go in the warmer months you can stay in their farmhouse, but it isn't adequately heated(solar). The hotel was lovely and the food was excellent. Our guides, Tim and Jenny would come down in the morning to pick us up.

The bikes were excellent, Trance XOs with a nice XT spec level,tubeless and dropper posts. We brought our own saddles and pedals, and Tim had the bikes already dialed for us. (We had emailed our height and weight, etc)

It was just gorgeous here, the views are always this good.

They have two trail dogs that run with you, Jimmy and Lucy.

This is where it got tough on us. The climbing was very difficult for us. (Floridians don't get to climb)The first day, my first time riding at altitude, I took off at my normal pace and started climbing. I realized I could no longer breathe and had a metallic taste in my mouth. It was really quite humbling,as I like to think I'm in pretty good shape. Luckily Tim and Jenny are always ready to help you out in the Land Rover if you get gassed or just don't want to climb. The climbing did get easier as we adjusted to the altitude, and we started being able to climb with the others.

The Land Rover of shame, or fame, however you look at it.

My wife and I making a stream crossing, more difficult than it looks, and you really don't want to fall or get a wet foot in an icy stream on a cold day. We all made it.

Kelly making a rocky decent back towards town. She hesitated, but Jenny told her she could do it. She tried again and went right through it.

More stunning views.

Lunch break.

This is my wife with guide Tim following on an excellent piece of singletrack the was an ancient Moorish irrigation channel high in the mountains.

A zigzagging decent.

Me walking off a grueling climb and enjoying the view.

A few pics of the crew, In the last pic, From the right, Myself, Ernst from the Netherlands, my wife and Magnus and Anna from Sweden. In the first pic, our guide Tim is on the right.

Looking down at the little village of Berchules.

Yours truly, on a bridge.

On the last day, Tim took the three guys and we endured some lengthy climbing to ride the best trail I may ever experience. We blasted down through a straight-ish,sunny track through some calf high bushes at a high rate of speed, then got on a shaded trail through some gorgeous woods with fast drops and surprising, rocky switchbacks.As if that wasn't enough we went to an extremely challenging rocky path down the side of the mountain. This feature is called the Xylophone, and the rocks really did make a musical sound when you rode them. I didn't know I had the ability to do it, but I found it somewhere. It was an incredibly rewarding experience.

My favorite pic...

Thanks for checking out my thread. We had an absolute blast at Pure Mountains. Tim and Jenny where extremely accommodating and really cater to the riders, but they will also point you in a direction, give advice and back off so you can discover your abilities for yourself. I wouldn't really call this a vacation though.That brings to mind images of a beach with umbrella drinks, which is not our cup of tea. It's really more of an experience- one we will never forget. After Pure Mountains we visited Granada, where luckily they had Turkish mineral baths.
    Please hit the little gear on the YouTube player and turn the res up to 1080p
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/anE95EYX4d0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vsYSofVeMfc?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Home | Pure Mountains
    Last edited by natzx7; 01-12-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow, It looks like you guys had an amazing time and I am extremely jealous. Thanks for sharing!

toscano
    Thanks for sharing.
    What month was that?

Chamois Dropper
    Quote Originally Posted by toscano View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    What month was that?
    Right now, January. Just got back to Florida. You live in Tuscany? I'm jealous.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing, what a trip.
    2008 Specialized Tricross Triple

2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Chamois Dropper
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JrCvH3WJMcY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    This is the part when we were blasting through the woods............One of my favorite songs, also a super epic ride. Put it on 1080p..........
    Last edited by natzx7; 01-13-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Mulleticious
    Really sweet biking in a scenic place. Thanks for sharing.

(and you're sooo lucky to have a MTB-ing Mrs.!)

Did they do much uplift or did you have to climb most of the descents?

Chamois Dropper
    You can climb, or you can ride in the Land Rover. Sometimes the Land Rover can't make it or is not allowed on the national park land so you have to climb, but it is well worth it.

He's the wife finishing a long climb

Checking tire pressure with Jenny bringing me a pump.

Bring plenty of Chapstick.....
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks Nat - what a great review! Hope we can welcome you, Kelly and some more Swamp riders back again.
    Best wishes,
    Pure Mountains

9 lives
    Looks like a fabulous trip. Nice pics!

(I'm jelly too)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Right now, January. Just got back to Florida. You live in Tuscany? I'm jealous.
    Thanks.
    Jelous? Tuscany is no longer the same of times of Stendhal, but for those who are able to see there are still signs of its past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Awesome, I want to go.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Wow, looks beautiful! Must be nice to have a full support vehicle at the ready for food and repairs.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Awesome!!!!!

toscano
    "The Land Rover of shame, or fame, however you look at it. "

I like my Land Rover!!!!
    Last edited by toscano; 01-18-2013 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Dude that is so sick, I'm glad you had such a good time I need first hand descriptions of it next time I see ya at alafia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    thanks for sharing.
    we have similar terrain here in Socal. I visited their website, they have Sierra Nevada mountain, just like in CA. Some of the pics look very similar to CA trail.
    You are very lucky, Spain is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great to see so many messages here. Thanks guys! Check us out on Facebook, Twitter and the website
    It would be marvellous to get some more MTBR chaps over.
    Best wishes.
    Pete

Chamois Dropper
    Thanks for all the nice comments, and good to hear from you Pete.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Members who have read this thread: 0