OT: Washing machine or laundromat?- Mtbr.com
    bust a move

Washing machine or laundromat?

Does a wife also use this washer at home? If so, laundromat for sure

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

OT: Washing machine or laundromat?

So what do you use to wash your greasy/dirty shop rags, your washing machine at home or a laundromat?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

North Idaho
    Disposable.
    09 Giant Trance X3 1x9

mtbr member
    How greasy are you talking about?

A little light oil or wiping some minor grease off my hands and stuff like that I wash the rags in my home washer. I always wash a load of my work pants after I wash any shop rags just to make sure nothing would get on better clothes.

Heaver grease like gear oil or grease from wiping out a hub or something I usually use paper towels or rags that I can throw away.

On the few occasions that I did wash rags that had heavier oil or grease on them I filled a 5 gallon bucket with hot water and put some laundry soap in it then put the rags in there to soak for 15 or 20 minutes and stirred them around with a stick a few times. It works pretty well and I really doubt it would have been any problem to wash them in the machine if I wanted them cleaner. Honestly though, it is kind of a pain and doesn't make a lot of since to mess with this. I always have old T shirts that need retired and the thrift store always has some that they are almost giving away.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

ride the moment
    Well, if you're worried about residue in the machine it's pretty weak sauce to take them to a laundromat.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have way too many T-shirts. I tear one up and use that for rags until they get too nasty. Then I throw them out and tear up another T-shirt that I've had too long.

Sooner or later, I may run out of worn out cotton T-shirts. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Probably just buy a bag of 100 rags from an auto parts store.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I have way too many T-shirts. I tear one up and use that for rags until they get too nasty. Then I throw them out and tear up another T-shirt that I've had too long.

Sooner or later, I may run out of worn out cotton T-shirts. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Probably just buy a bag of 100 rags from an auto parts store.
    So this is basically what I do too, but I've always wondered what I'd do when I might potentially run out.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvapor View Post
    So this is basically what I do too, but I've always wondered what I'd do when I might potentially run out.

You'll never run out. It's the first fundamental rule of being a home mechanic: you will never run out of shop rags, but you will always lose that tiny fastener or bearing at a time when it is least convenient to you.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    ..Sooner or later, I may run out of worn out cotton T-shirts. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    You never will
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I throw them in my home washer if they arn't to bad, if not trash. I also wipe down the washer drum with a paper towel and simple green when i'm finished.

Retired User
    I throw them away

mtbr member
    This thread shows as started by vwvapor, but the first post I see is by pitanan. I've noticed this on a couple threads. WTF is going on?
    "That hat makes you look like an idiot."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvapor View Post
    So what do you use to wash your greasy/dirty shop rags, your washing machine at home or a laundromat?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
    Throw the fokkers away! You can score old rags at the Home Depot, or simply hack up your unwanted clothing. Washing them is the epitome of frugality.

For Chrissakes.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaynestown View Post
    This thread shows as started by vwvapor, but the first post I see is by pitanan. I've noticed this on a couple threads. WTF is going on?
    It was the Hadron collider in Lucerne. Caused a small tear in the space-time continuum, but it's all fixed now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    It was the Hadron collider in Lucerne. Caused a small tear in the space-time continuum, but it's all fixed now...
    Yep, happens all the time.

mtbr member
    Lies. Our largest particle accelerator doesn't produce near enough energy to warp or fold space. You would need energies billions of times greater just to warp space at the subatomic level.
    "That hat makes you look like an idiot."

Its got what plants crave
    You can get 50 shop rags for 13 dollars are Harbor Freight.

..... and you want to wash them?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Duck Fonald
    I just take my bike apart and put it in the biggest machine they have, with plenty of Tide. Dry on medium.

No rags needed.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I just take my bike apart and put it in the biggest machine they have, with plenty of Tide. Dry on medium.

No rags needed.
    That's too much work. What about riding through a drive through carwash?

mtbr member
    I think my Immigrant workers wash them by hand in a bucket out back, I dont really know, IM to busy getting massages and eating grapes from the others.

Retired User
    OP, if (or at my age, 'when') you accidentally shart in your unders, do you launder them at home, at the 'mat, or do you throw them away? I always go with option number 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    OP, if (or at my age, 'when') you accidentally shart in your unders, do you launder them at home, at the 'mat, or do you throw them away? I always go with option number 3
    I just jump in the pool and let the jets do their thing.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Washing machine/dryer at home for clothing. All the laundromats are used by the poor people nearby, so our clothes will end up smelling like fabric softener/dryer sheets (which contain petroleum-derived chemicals which are skin irritants as well as being possibly carcinogenic) if we launder our clothes there. Dunno how the poor can justify wasting money on fabric softeners/dryer sheets…*guess it’s the same way homeless can justify spending begged money on a pack of cigarettes.

As for rags, I use biodegradable grease/lubes for my bikes, and biodegradable cleaners, so that all washes into the ground quite nicely without any guilt looming about.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

nocturnal oblivion
    Soak the rags in a bucket with detergent for a day or two, rinse, then put them in the home washer.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Washing machine/dryer at home for clothing. All the laundromats are used by the poor people nearby, so our clothes will end up smelling like fabric softener/dryer sheets (which contain petroleum-derived chemicals which are skin irritants as well as being possibly carcinogenic) if we launder our clothes there. Dunno how the poor can justify wasting money on fabric softeners/dryer sheets…*guess it’s the same way homeless can justify spending begged money on a pack of cigarettes.

As for rags, I use biodegradable grease/lubes for my bikes, and biodegradable cleaners, so that all washes into the ground quite nicely without any guilt looming about.
    Most of us will meet our demise in the form of over production of cells. Live life and enjoy, and smell good to your dying day.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Most of us will meet our demise in the form of over production of cells. Live life and enjoy, and smell good to your dying day.
    You think that chemical scent smells good? It’s as obnoxious as cigarette smoke or perhaps leaf blower exhaust.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    You think that chemical scent smells good? It’s as obnoxious as cigarette smoke or perhaps leaf blower exhaust.
    While I agree'd somewhat with your first statement now your just acting plain loony, I feel sorry for people like who who live in a state of perpetual fear.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    While I agree'd somewhat with your first statement now your just acting plain loony, I feel sorry for people like who who live in a state of perpetual fear.

Speak for yourself, I live in perpetual fear of cancerous death by fabric softener

Texan
    Where do yall get one of them Tapatalk things? I feel so un-cool not having one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Where do yall get one of them Tapatalk things? I feel so un-cool not having one.
    https://market.android.com/details?i...N0aXZpdHkiXQ..

mtbr member
    I imagine that all of the products I use to enhance and/or improve my odor may not be safe for ingestion, but I'm not convinced that they will create tumors or cause my cells to go batsh*t.

Your comparison is unwarranted.

I prefer Calvin Klein to patchouli oil any day.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    funny, I'm with you Gary, like who gives a $hit. Probably an automatic thing from the phone as a product add.Yet another reason to have one