OT: i salute those who served today- Mtbr.com
    the half breed devil

OT: i salute those who served today

today is veterans day. sometimes i feel that our holiday to recognize america's servicemen is an afterthought for many.

i hope everybody takes a moment to think about and salute those who have served this country, regardless of your political inclinations. i'm somewhat of a lefty but not so much that i hate all things military.

i didn't do time in the armed forces, but many of my best friends and family have. a lot of really good people find themselves in the service.

for those in uniform who post these forums from places far from home, thank you...and be safe...i hope you folks find yourself flowing down your favorite trails sooner than later...

bust a move
    Many have served, sacraficed, fought and died for us to enjoy the freedoms that so many seem to take for granted.

To all Veterans: A sincere "THANK YOU" for your military service

mtbr member
    Letter to the editor today...

I was in the U.S. Army, infantry, in Vietnam. I think Veterans Day has been subverted from its original intent and now is just one more tool used to build the myth that the solution to conflict is military action.

I feel the glorification of the military is so pervasive, it has become part of our culture. “The few the proud … ,” “An army of one,” highways dedicated to military units and organizations, fighter jet flyovers, POW-MIA flags, the ROTC carrying in the flag at sporting events, basketball games on aircraft carriers *— the list goes on and on. What is seldom said is that military action is death and destruction. Therefore, all of these subtly add to the myth and glorify the act of killing.

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the eleventh month of 1918 was when the killing stopped in World War I. In November of 1919, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day. He said this day should be used by America “to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations.” On June 4, 1926, Congress passed a resolution that said we should observe the day “with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.”

I recommend you use the 11th hour of the 11th day to research the most decorated Marine in history — two-time Congressional Medal of Honor recipient General Smedley Butler. After his military career, he wrote a booklet titled, “War is a Racket.” Reflect on General Butler, the trillions of dollars spent on war, the millions of lives lost and ruined, and the original intent of Veterans Day. Then, do something to promote peace and justice.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Letter to the editor today...

I was in the U.S. Army, infantry, in Vietnam. I think Veterans Day has been subverted from its original intent and now is just one more tool used to build the myth that the solution to conflict is military action.

I feel the glorification of the military is so pervasive, it has become part of our culture. “The few the proud … ,” “An army of one,” highways dedicated to military units and organizations, fighter jet flyovers, POW-MIA flags, the ROTC carrying in the flag at sporting events, basketball games on aircraft carriers *— the list goes on and on. What is seldom said is that military action is death and destruction. Therefore, all of these subtly add to the myth and glorify the act of killing.

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the eleventh month of 1918 was when the killing stopped in World War I. In November of 1919, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day. He said this day should be used by America “to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations.” On June 4, 1926, Congress passed a resolution that said we should observe the day “with appropriate ceremonies of friendly relations with all other peoples.”

I recommend you use the 11th hour of the 11th day to research the most decorated Marine in history — two-time Congressional Medal of Honor recipient General Smedley Butler. After his military career, he wrote a booklet titled, “War is a Racket.” Reflect on General Butler, the trillions of dollars spent on war, the millions of lives lost and ruined, and the original intent of Veterans Day. Then, do something to promote peace and justice.
    your post does not diminish the respect and gratitude i feel for those who did time in uniform.

steve, let's not think about the evils of the military industrial complex or the subversion of veterans day and things military by warmongers and profiteers. let's leave that for another off topic discussion.

my thoughts are with the confused and frustrated nineteen year old just out of high school in roxabel ohio who felt that the military was the only way out of the grinding poverty there during the early 1950's...or the kid in minneapolis just about to enter college whose birthday was one of the three hundred and something birthdays chosen by the draft board in 1970.

once he completed basic, he found himself being shipped off on a boat or plane to a place thousands of miles away where it was godawful hot and the air literally smelled like *****. lots of these guys didn't want to go to these places, much less get shot at or die horrible deaths far, far away from the comforts of home, friends and families. a few of them said the hell with it and went AWOL, never to be seen again. but most stayed the course, did their jobs, came home and resumed their normal lives, albeit with mental and physical scars that would last a lifetime.

not all of them got shot at, but these men and women did their jobs whether they wanted to or not and regardless of what they felt about their superior officers or the conflicts they were participating in.

let's not use this thread as a forum to bash on the military and those who serve; i posted it with the intent of giving respect and thanks to the men and women who serve and have served. it's as simple as that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    your post does not diminish the respect and gratitude i feel for those who did time in uniform.
    It wasn't meant to--I just thought it was an interesting perspective and wanted to throw it out there. Thanks for the non-hostile response, but I'll get out of your thread now.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    It wasn't meant to--I just thought it was an interesting perspective and wanted to throw it out there. Thanks for the non-hostile response, but I'll get out of your thread now.
    BTW, the piece by general butler is interesting...best link i can find here:

THREE TITLES [3] for the PRICE OF ONE.

Live 2 Ride
    And my voice to others here in saying thank you to those that served and those who are serving. I realize I enjoy my freedom because of your sacrifices and am deeply thankful.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

High Desert MTBer
    Thank you Steve and Shekky for your contributions, you are both reasoned and reasonable. I feel pretty much as you do Steve, but I also get what you say Shekky. My initial reaction was one of sadness and anger at the pointless waste, greed and misplaced patriotism engendered by the military establishment, and how this is perpetuated by glorifying military service, but the other side is there as Shekky points out. THAT is the greatest sadness of all. My anger at those that use conflict and the sacrifice of others to further their own interests remains.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Cool vid here of dogs welcoming soldiers home.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iD3cgDRsDck?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iD3cgDRsDck?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    And my voice to others here in saying thank you to those that served and those who are serving. I realize I enjoy my freedom because of your sacrifices and am deeply thankful.
    So how exactly did the the military give you your freedom? Were you really worried that Iraq was going to invade the USA? Or maybe Afghanistan was? (Keep in mind that most of the guys in the 9-11 attack were from Saudi Arabia and the US government did not attack that country). I suppose we could go further back... Panama? Vietnam?

Seems to me that since WWII the USA had been building a military for reasons of empire and not for self-protection. How else do you explain why the US has over 700 military bases worldwide and spends more money on its military than the rest of the world combined?

When we get invaded, hand me the grenades and the M16, Until then, it would be more patriotic to not serve in the military.

DynoDon
    Thanks for bringing things back on subject, THANKING THE VETERANS !!!! Great video!!
    Here is another one, for the Veterans that gave their all, and the ones that are still here to SALUTE their Brother in Arms.
    "YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" are more then words on a flag!!!

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits - YouTube
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

Retro on Steroids
    I'm an Army vet from the sixties, E-5 if you know what that means. I served during a war that was fabricated for political purposes. I am extremely disappointed that our country repeated the mistake of Vietnam by invading Iraq and occupying Afghanistan over lies, and without any objective that could be defined as victory and allow us to leave.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It was an honor and privledge to serve this great nation.

Always remember, the young men and women carrying the rifle had nothing to do with the politics that put them in the position they are in but they still stand ready, willing and able to defend this nation and the freedoms that so many have struggled to pass on to us.

saddlemeat
    I got drafted in out of college in 1970 because I drew a low lottery #. Served a tour as an infantryman in VN. I still have no use for y'all for conscripting me into your damn army and f**cking up my life while you made money and advanced your career. The platitudes of thanks are mostly bullsh*t to make yourself feel good. Just thought you should know...
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Other than work, my parents cruised up here to Nellis AFB for the weekend to visit and see the airshow. I had a good time getting to spend the rest of the day with my dad. I've been in for almost 16 years now, he retired from the AF back in 91. Then sat we had a nice dinner and invited my brother in law over, he has 22 years in the Army.

the half breed devil
    i am sorry some of you older guys feel bitter about your military service but i understand. the late sixities must have been an awful time to have been dragged off to some depot in south carolina, being scared, sad and angry all the way there. i watched a segment of "vietnam in HD" where some dude came back from vietnam to his new baby, got to go to woodstock and returned to his post only to be wounded and returned stateside again.

my thanks are from the heart since my late brother and all of my uncles on my mother's side served at least a few years.

even though i am pretty much a dyed in the wool dope smoking, san francisco-style lefty, i don't harbor a deep dislike for the military and the people who serve, just the government in control of said armed forces. this is not a thread i'll use to get into the hows and whys of my fierce dislike of the united states government and many of its policies.

at some point in their lives, a person has to do things in life that he/she is diametrically opposed to and one of those things is getting drafted and being sent to butt fork gimbazzle nowhere. not only do i salute the men and women who fought nazis and fascists with patriotic fervor in the forties, i praise and respect those who hated every thing they were doing for every second of their enlistment--but did it anyway and tried to return to a normal civilian life afterwards.

please do not interpret my thanks and respect as BS to make myself or anybody else feel good. i have too many friends and family that have done a gig in uniform and have a balanced perspective of the military in today's world to play that self serving game.

--MB