Orange Bikes poor Warranty and Customer Service- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Orange Bikes poor Warranty and Customer Service

Few months ago I found two small cranks on swingarms shock bracket

Immediately I send an email to Orange CS to try to repair it, my frame was two and half years.

Orange CS say me that they don't have anymore the neccesary part to repair it, and the solutions will be:

-To get it repaired locally

or

-We could possibly look at doing a crash replacement price for a 224 frame if that would be of interest to you

Cheers for this great brand!!!!

PS

In our group we ride 5 Orange Patriot. 4 was broken in the same shock braket. Fortuity, mmm not!!!

mtbr member
    Seems like good customer service to me - crash replacement.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use my bike to ride for 40/50 kms, 224 frame is for DH

A friend has the same frame, under the 2 years warranty applied in Spain, and Orange Bikes send him the same solution

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Seems like good customer service to me - crash replacement.......

It would sound good if there was no warranty to begin with, but a crash replacement charge for a 2 yo frame? If I break my 2 yo Giant, the frame gets replaced, gratis, no crash replacement no lip service, just replaced. Sounds like the op is getting the short end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesc
    Immediately I send an email to Orange CS to try to repair it, my frame was two and half years.
    Orange warranty frames for two years, it says this in black and white on their website, it says in the handbook you should have got from the dealer when you bought the bike. It's a pretty standard length warranty for bikes.

Like you said, the frame is two and a half years old, out of warranty, they don't have to offer you anything.

Although it seems a little odd that they offered you a 224 specifically, their crash replacement is (usually) 50% off any of their frames. They offered that to a local guy who cracked his (2001) Patriot a few weeks ago.
    If you have a Patriot the Alpine 160 or Blood are a better fit than the 224. Maybe you should try communicating with them further about that.

Lastly, are you certain that is a crack in the aluminium of the frame and not just the powder coat?

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    It would sound good if there was no warranty to begin with, but a crash replacement charge for a 2 yo frame? If I break my 2 yo Giant, the frame gets replaced, gratis, no crash replacement no lip service, just replaced. Sounds like the op is getting the short end.
    Original Poster doesn't say which year the bike is, nor which model. I checked on Orange site for 2008 & 2007 on a Patriot, and it has a 1 year frame warranty period, so a crash replacement is a good deal.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/warranty/2008/

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/warranty/2007/

Different companies offer different warranties.

AZ
    banned
    I stand corrected, kids don't buy bikes with 2 year warranties. Sorry.

mtbr member
    If I break my 2 yo Giant, the frame gets replaced, gratis, no crash replacement no lip service, just replaced..
    Giant (also Trek, Mondraker) is very much in the minority in that respect. They're the biggest bike maker on the planet and they hand out new frames as much for pr reasons as any actual fault.

For relative scale you want to be comparing Orange to someone like Transition, Banshee or Turner, you don't see lifetime warranties much in small companies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

PS

In our group we ride 5 Orange Patriot. 4 was broken in the same shock braket. Fortuity, mmm not!!!

check it Fix the Spade

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Original Poster doesn't say which year the bike is, nor which model. I checked on Orange site for 2008 & 2007 on a Patriot, and it has a 1 year frame warranty period, so a crash replacement is a good deal.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/warranty/2008/

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/support/warranty/2007/

Different companies offer different warranties.

In Spain, and all CEE, warranty period is 2 years or more

mtbr member
    @Francesc, that's a very fine line on a 400x300jpeg, how can you tell it's not just in the paint and goes all the way through?

It's worth checking more thoroughly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    this swingarm was broken, a good friend of mine is the owner.

He send to a welder to repair it.

Bike to the Bone...
    In Spain, and all CEE, warranty period is 2 years or more
    Okay, but you mentioned your frame had 2 years and a half... maybe it's just bean counting, but it might have been that the frame is out of warranty. Also, check on the site what terms the warranty stands for (original owner, documentation, what does Orange cover/not cover).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Okay, but you mentioned your frame had 2 years and a half... maybe it's just bean counting, but it might have been that the frame is out of warranty. Also, check on the site what terms the warranty stands for (original owner, documentation, what does Orange cover/not cover).

A friend has the same frame, less of two years old, under the 2 years warranty period applied in Spain, and Orange Bikes send him the same solution

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The problem is Orange BIkes know that all the Patriot frames has the same weak point, 90% of the Patriots broke in the same point, and don't do anything to solve it, sorry, sale you another frame with the same poor warranty

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm the owner of this orange broken frame shown above.

My frame was out-of-warranty when get broken, but a friend of us -as Francesc posted- had a frame, bought in june 2008. This frame get broken on july 2009, and after contacting the dealer in Spain (Active Life) the answer he got was "this frame is designed for racing, and has one-year warranty". (WTF? )

Altought United Kingdon is not in the CEE (EEC) they export products into it, so they have to complain the warranty rules in it: (at least) 2 years for new products.

And yes, we're SURE the problem was NOT only the paint:

This is my frame once repaired, reinforced and repainted. A bike frames constructor near Barcelona did it, it costed 80€ (without paint)

Our friend with a 2008 frame did the same arrengement, but all we are sure -unfortunately- these are the last Orange we buy
    Last edited by pervers; 03-04-2011 at 01:33 PM.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by pervers

Altought United Kingdon is not in the CEE (EEC) they export products into it, so they have to complain the warranty rules in it: (at least) 2 years for new products.

And:
    Last time I checked the UK was in the EEC... just not in the Euro Zone thank f**k...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc
    Last time I checked the UK was in the EEC... just not in the Euro Zone thank f**k...

I meant euro zone

mtbr member

Big difference in company size Orange VS Giant - Giant has the financial backing to provide replacement frames as they do such a large volume. Smaller companies do not have that luxury, so a 2 year crash replacement warranty is actually pretty common. Thats what Santa Cruz used to do (not sure what they do now).

mtbr member
    It sucks that it cracks yes, but they have offered a solution (that many people find acceptable). Lets face it, mountain bikers do push the limits of design / weight / strength - sometimes it goes the wrong way and we have failures. Its part of our sport IMHO.

AZ
    banned
    Big difference in company size Orange VS Giant - Giant has the financial backing to provide replacement frames as they do such a large volume. Smaller companies do not have that luxury, so a 2 year crash replacement warranty is actually pretty common. Thats what Santa Cruz used to do (not sure what they do now).

Exactly, under funded companies, under engineered products. No thanks.

mtbr member
    Exactly, under funded companies, under engineered products. No thanks.

LOL, not necessarily under engineered, just pushed the limits of the design a bit too far on the wrong side of the line

Not that I am defending Orange - I personally am not a fan of the bikes, but the terms of warranty was right there in black and white - buyer beware.

AZ
    banned
    LOL, not necessarily under engineered, just pushed the limits of the design a bit too far on the wrong side of the line

Not that I am defending Orange - I personally am not a fan of the bikes, but the terms of warranty was right there in black and white - buyer beware.

Couldn't agree any more. Probably was not a good choice of wording.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    someone mentioned designed for racing and only a one year warranty wtf ?

well if i am reading my owner's manual for the stumpjumper correctly and I think other brands have the same statement, if you race all bets are off---specifically says race activities invalidates the warranty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why would anyone buy an orange frame?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    Why would anyone buy an orange frame?
    Very nice bikes, easy to deal with too, as long you read the warranty first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    another one:

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    this is my bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    another one

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sorry to hear that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Our friend with a 2008 frame did the same arrengement, but all we are sure -unfortunately- these are the last Orange we buy
    Same with me; I have Orange Alpine 160 for almost 2.5 years. I have found cracks in the real swing arm (at the bottom, below the seat tube) . The sad thing is that I used them for AM rides, no gravity whatsoever.

mtbr member
    I currently have a FIve and have had no issues with it and I am currently considering an Alpine 160. This is the first time I have heard of issues with their frames. I am also looking at the Ibis HD. Is there currently problems with the Alpine frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by R-IK View Post
    Same with me; I have Orange Alpine 160 for almost 2.5 years. I have found cracks in the real swing arm (at the bottom, below the seat tube) . The sad thing is that I used them for AM rides, no gravity whatsoever.
    Updates:
    At the end, after direct negotiation with Orange engineering dep. they decided to replace it with a brand new frame. I even got a new color for free! the local dealer payed for the shipment.
    Sounds great - right? I wish.

After less than 2y with the new frame a hairline cracks appeared on the seatpost tube. I was in shock. I used this frame for trail rides; heavy trail rides.
    used my (bad) experience and contacted the local dealer. pictures were sent to Orange and today I was informed that they will not apply the 2y warranty for the new frame since my receipt is from the end of 2009. OMG. the local dealer said that they are now considering an alternative solution.
    Will keep you posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Orange Bikes poor Warranty and Customer Service-cracks.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1