Opinions on titanium handlebars?- Mtbr.com
    Enjoy the Ride!

Opinions on titanium handlebars?

As far as damping chatter, are Ti bars much better or only slightly better than carbon bars? Just asking about Ti's performance, excluding price and weight.
    08 Redline D440 29er

mtbr member
    I have Ti bars and Al bars (all flat) and have not noticed much difference. Never ridden carbon bars, but I'd be surprised if there is much difference in ride quality between any of these. I think grips would make a far more noticeable difference.
    Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Ti, Carbon and Magnesium

There are many variables in Carbon handle bars that determine how it feels. Designers, can vary the geometric properties such as the diameter, Ix,Iy, and J values (basicly the cross section of the handle bar). They can also vary the modulus and strength of the material by selecting different carbons and how they are layed up.

When working with Titanium and Aluminum the material modulus is fixed so the only way you can alter the stiffness of the bar is by modifiying the geometric properties, but you have to have enough strength so bar doesn't fatigue or snap.

The real property you are after is the hysterises of the material which is the materials damping charactertists (hysterisis). It looks some thing on a graph. Here is a graph for magnesium which has exellent damping properties.

The damping properties of carbon are highly variable and is controlled by the designer of the bar.

I hope that helps? May I ask why you are looking at titanium handle bars?

Sopwithcamel

Enjoy the Ride!
    Thanks 251 and sopwithcamel --- I appreciate the very helpful detailed info. I was just curious about Ti because of the rave reviews that Ti frames and bars always get, but I was wondering if Ti made sense from a cost/benefit perspective for the average rider and not someone competing at an elite level.
    08 Redline D440 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would say that Titanium handle bars are now a speciality fetish item. I don't see them offering any performance of cost advantages.

With that being said check out Van Nicholas bike as they are the only ones hydroforming titanium.

http://www.vannicholas.com/WbmHome.aspx?UN=2

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    I would say that Titanium handle bars are now a specialty fetish item.
    I agree. I am perfectly happy with the aluminum bars on most of my bikes, but the titanium bike got a titanium bar just because I wanted it to match. I would have done the same with the stem, but I haven't found anything I like better than a Thomson. However, you should still find one of these:

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    They can also vary the modulus and strength of the material by selecting different carbons and how they are layed up.

When working with Titanium and Aluminum the material modulus is fixed so the only way you can alter the stiffness of the bar is by modifiying the geometric properties, but you have to have enough strength so bar doesn't fatigue or snap.

Sopwithcamel
    i think the stiffness of the bar can also be altered by the type of Ti or Al alloy and heat treatment

Members who have read this thread: 5