Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,157

    One way to carry Stan's sealant on rides

    I've needed some Stan's trailside before. Fortunately I had one of those single serve 2 oz containers of Stan's with me so I pulled my valve core and put it into my tire through the valve stem (after stuffing a couple sides of bacon in the tire's gash).

    Pumped it up. It worked -- got me out.

    But now I had an empty 2 oz single serve Stan's bottle with no way to reuse because these only come with the conical nozzle cap. Once you pop the factory seal, there's no way to refill & reseal them.

    Right?

    Not so fast...

    I found that those 4-hour energy bottle caps (from 7-11) fit the 2 oz Stans single serve bottles. So now I carry a full single serve bottle that I've refilled from my workshop sized bottle at home. Plus I carry the original nozzle cap from the single serve bottle. If I need some Stan's, I can unscrew the 4-hour energy cap, install the original nozzle cap, shake it up and I'm ready to squirt it in through the valve stem (core removed).

    Beats throwing the single serve bottles away. They're expensive.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,708
    If I'm gonna carry extra Stan's, I just put it in my tires.
    Do the math.

  3. #3
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,634
    So what do you do with the 4-hour energy crap? You don't actually drink that, do you?
    What's wrong with him??

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I've needed some Stan's trailside before. Fortunately I had one of those single serve 2 oz containers of Stan's with me so I pulled my valve core and put it into my tire through the valve stem (after stuffing a couple sides of bacon in the tire's gash).

    Pumped it up. It worked -- got me out.

    But now I had an empty 2 oz single serve Stan's bottle with no way to reuse because these only come with the conical nozzle cap. Once you pop the factory seal, there's no way to refill & reseal them.

    Right?

    Not so fast...

    I found that those 4-hour energy bottle caps (from 7-11) fit the 2 oz Stans single serve bottles. So now I carry a full single serve bottle that I've refilled from my workshop sized bottle at home. Plus I carry the original nozzle cap from the single serve bottle. If I need some Stan's, I can unscrew the 4-hour energy cap, install the original nozzle cap, shake it up and I'm ready to squirt it in through the valve stem (core removed).

    Beats throwing the single serve bottles away. They're expensive.
    =sParty
    Thanks for confirming that! I was looking at those the other day thinking that they might work!

  5. #5
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,119
    I've always just poured my home-brew into those 2oz single-serve bottles. I have about 4 or 5 of them and have just reused the same ones for years. I keep my home-brew in mason jars.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    602
    I carry 4 ounces of Orange Seal in their container that is reusable

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    So what do you do with the 4-hour energy crap? You don't actually drink that, do you?
    No. I put that in my tires too.
    Do the math.

  8. #8
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    So what do you do with the 4-hour energy crap? You don't actually drink that, do you?
    Nasty stuff, but gives a mean stiffy.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  9. #9
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,062
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Nasty stuff, but gives a mean stiffy.
    lol, wut???



    What happens if you drink half a 4-hr energy?
    Cool heads prevail

  10. #10
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    lol, wut???



    What happens if you drink half a 4-hr energy?
    Not sure, I can't be taking that stuff, but it works lol
    Last edited by jcd46; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:28 PM.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  11. #11
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,293
    Reminds me of the guy who put NOS energy drink into his Suzuki GSXR600. He stopped by the gas station wanting to pick up some NOS fuel treatment and dumped the energy drink into the gas tank instead

    His stupid mistake crashed the Gixxer.com forum for several days.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

  12. #12
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,835
    I put 4 hour energy in my tires all the time. Makes it much easier to pedal.
    Stan's in the belly makes #2's difficult though.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,728
    actually a good idea. When I carry my pack I have an extra bottle of stans in there. Very useful when you get flat and the stans is not sealing. Often a trail side refresh takes care of it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  14. #14
    Asswipe
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,153
    I reuse the little bottles and use Cling Wrap/Saran Wrap to seal the bottle and put the cap back on. It works great.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  15. #15
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I've always just poured my home-brew into those 2oz single-serve bottles. I have about 4 or 5 of them and have just reused the same ones for years. I keep my home-brew in mason jars.
    What kind of home brew?
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    What kind of home brew?
    Probably an Imperial Stout.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,583
    I carry a tube, easier that way.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I reuse the little bottles and use Cling Wrap/Saran Wrap to seal the bottle and put the cap back on. It works great.
    Yep, works great. This is what I have always done. Any kind of plastic material will do, even a piece of a grocery bag.
    Veni vidi velo!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    I carry a tube, easier that way.
    Me too. Can't accidentally spill all your tube when wrestling with a tire.

  20. #20
    Asswipe
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Probably an Imperial Stout.
    Thanks, it's 10:30am and now I'm thirsty...
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  21. #21
    Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Stan's in the belly makes #2's difficult though.
    This could be the ultimate cure for my Diverticulitis!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,207
    You can reuse the Stan's bottles with a tiny bit of plastic wrap. After you refill the bottle put a bit on the opening, and then put the top back on. When you need to use it trailside remove the plastic, and you still have the nozzle to get it in the valve.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 04:13 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  4. It's official, there is only one sealant and it is Stan's.
    By LyncStar in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 09:54 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 214

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.