Old road bike question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Old road bike question...

Hi everyone,

My neighbour was throwing this bike out, and they gave me the bike and bag'o'parts...the parts bag had the new v-brakes, some new cables and the original frt/rear derailleurs in it.

I got the new brakes put on (simply as a learning experience, it will be a trainer bike so no brakes needed)...but being totally new to mountain biking and bike repair, I don't know if the old ders are worth putting back on. This bike will be 100% dedicated to my indoor trainer.

The tires hold air so if I can get it to shift decently I should be off to the races

Thank you for any tips/advice!!

~Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old road bike question...-p7160001.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160010.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160013.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160014.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160008.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160002.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160003.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160006.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160007.jpg  

Old road bike question...-p7160015.jpg  

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't put much money into that bike. The derailleurs and shifters aren't indexed, and it has a 5 speed freewheel. You'd never be able to get anything modern that will work with 5 speed. Put it all back together and use it as is.

I've got an old raleigh road bike I rejuvenated. To get modern indexed shifting I needed new shifters, a new back wheel and a new derailleur. Luckily I had lots of spare parts kicking around since the only parts of the bike I kept were the front derailleur, handlebar, frame, headset, brake calipers, and fork.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Thanks Dru!

Guess I need to figure out how to get the rear der. on and I should be good to go! I figured it wasn't worth putting much into, but it would be ideal for my trainer.

Any chance my extra set of Shimano SPD pedals will fit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckbiker View Post
    Hi everyone,

My neighbour was throwing this bike out, and they gave me the bike and bag'o'parts...the parts bag had the new v-brakes, some new cables and the original frt/rear derailleurs in it.

I got the new brakes put on (simply as a learning experience, it will be a trainer bike so no brakes needed)...but being totally new to mountain biking and bike repair, I don't know if the old ders are worth putting back on. This bike will be 100% dedicated to my indoor trainer.

The tires hold air so if I can get it to shift decently I should be off to the races

Thank you for any tips/advice!!

~Andrew
    I hate to be pedantic but... Those aren't V-brakes, they are centre-pulls.
    Otherwise, for the shifting, if you are just going to be using it on a trainer I'd say it depends on the range of the resistance unit on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Sorry Malone...new to all this stuff :-)

My trainer's resistance (Kurt Kinetic) is based on your gears....tougher gear, more resistance.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like the rear derailleur mounts under the axle nut and has a small bolt to hold it to the frame when the wheel is removed. But it also looks like it is missing a pulley so it won't work anyway.

mtbr member
    Ggggrrr...I also noticed that there is no shifter for the rear der...just the one in the pic that is attached to he front der.

Maybe it will go in the garbage..darn, I was hoping to have a road bike for my trainer.

~Andrew

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

lbs

Go to your LBS. They will probably give you one complete with a hanger. Honestly try that. They shouldn't charge you more than 5 or 10 bucks. If they do, don't give them your business.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's a Positron derailleur, Shimano's early attempt at indexing. The "clicks" are in the derailleur but I think it still needs a proprietary shifter.

It's hard to tell but looks like it has the front freewheel system too. The cogs on the real wheel are fixed with the freewheel mech in the bottom bracket. Supposed to allow shifting without pedaling.

My .02 is to put it back on the curb, or if you must, use on the trainer in ss mode.
    "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

mtbr member
    i cant fathome ever throwing away a non generic x-mart bike. maybe its just because the used bike market is sooo hot in here in boise. i know i could get like 50 bucks for the that pile of stuff in like 30 minutes on craigslist

mtbr member
    Well, after looking around the internet for manuals and parts costs...I think I may just see what I can get for it on CL...The brakes are brand new so those should get at least 10 bucks haha!!

Thanks for all the help guys!

~Andrew